Jump to content


Official Firearms Thread


  • Please log in to reply
795 replies to this topic

#41 chrozzo

chrozzo

    hi™

  • Members
  • 23,051 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Geico

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:47 PM

View Postantistuff, on Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 1:43 AM, said:

thats a really neat way to get yourself either shot or into a whole lot of trouble. im all for people having guns and whatnot, but stuff like this is just crazy. have you considered the consequences for shooting someone? you do realize you can kill them right? you are going to take somebody's life becouse they rob you for $50 and some pizza?
no...after i was robbed withoutANY protection at all, if it happens again..i would like a little protection at least..and most ppl today wouldbt be swayed by a 2 inch pocktnkife i belivei took a class..i was trained in the rules of personal protection..dont worry
FCP CBO: Chief Beer Officer

I'm kind of a big deal.




#42 antistuff

antistuff

    monotonously monotonous

  • Members
  • 5,466 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:new york city

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:53 PM

View Postchrozzo, on Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 1:47 AM, said:

no...after i was robbed withoutANY protection at all, if it happens again..i would like a little protection at least..and most ppl today wouldbt be swayed by a 2 inch pocktnkife i belivei took a class..i was trained in the rules of personal protection..dont worry
so you're going to pull out a gun if somebody tires to rob you?
QUOTE ( Barry Greenstein)
Successful gamblers are compulsive winners.

#43 chrozzo

chrozzo

    hi™

  • Members
  • 23,051 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Geico

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:54 PM

View Postantistuff, on Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 1:53 AM, said:

so you're going to pull out a gun if somebody tires to rob you?
if somone tries to rob me...and pulls a gun out...i will reciprocate
FCP CBO: Chief Beer Officer

I'm kind of a big deal.




#44 antistuff

antistuff

    monotonously monotonous

  • Members
  • 5,466 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:new york city

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:56 PM

View Postchrozzo, on Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 1:54 AM, said:

if somone tries to rob me...and pulls a gun out...i will reciprocate
you do know that when that happens one of you is going to get shot right?
QUOTE ( Barry Greenstein)
Successful gamblers are compulsive winners.

#45 chrozzo

chrozzo

    hi™

  • Members
  • 23,051 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Geico

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:58 PM

View Postantistuff, on Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 1:56 AM, said:

you do know that when that happens one of you is going to get shot right?
im a good shot
FCP CBO: Chief Beer Officer

I'm kind of a big deal.




#46 ajs510

ajs510

    Resident Evil

  • Members
  • 24,991 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

View Postantistuff, on Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 1:43 AM, said:

exactly. you really think you need to own a gun to feel safe? i've lived in new york city for 24 years and i've had a gun pulled on me once, and you know what? i was probably asking for it. if you want to decrease your likelihood of dying stop smoking and eating like a pig and maybe go for a walk once in a while. and if you want to keep your kids safe, you can try making them do this too.again, don't get me wrong. i think that people should be able to own guns. i think its 100% necessary that people be allowed to own guns. but sheesh, you sure are an awfully paranoid lot.
When I lived in the hood I bought my shotgun because I was nervous about break ins and home invasion (because the person who owned the house before me was robbed a couple times) but that never happened. It was sure nice to be able to pull it out of the closet when the black kids started going after each other with hatchets on my front lawn, and when the cab driver got shot two doors down though. Pretty nice to have it when my girlfriends ex-husband called me up drunk one night and started spouting off about bringing everyone from the bar to my front door to lynch me too. He never showed up, but the 12 gauge came out of the closet. "In case" is a perfectly good reason for owning a gun. I own more than one because I'm a hopeless acquirer of things I don't need, kind of the same way I own 4 guitars even though I don't really play anymore. If I make it through my entire existence on this planet without ever having to point one of my guns at another person, I'll feel wonderful about that, I'll feel like things went the way they're supposed to go.

#47 chrozzo

chrozzo

    hi™

  • Members
  • 23,051 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Geico

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:03 PM

View Postajs510, on Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 2:00 AM, said:

When I lived in the hood I bought my shotgun because I was nervous about break ins and home invasion (because the person who owned the house before me was robbed a couple times) but that never happened. It was sure nice to be able to pull it out of the closet when the black kids started going after each other with hatchets on my front lawn, and when the cab driver got shot two doors down though. Pretty nice to have it when my girlfriends ex-husband called me up drunk one night and started spouting off about bringing everyone from the bar to my front door to lynch me too. He never showed up, but the 12 gauge came out of the closet. "In case" is a perfectly good reason for owning a gun. I own more than one because I'm a hopeless acquirer of things I don't need, kind of the same way I own 4 guitars even though I don't really play anymore. If I make it through my entire existence on this planet without ever having to point one of my guns at another person, I'll feel wonderful about that, I'll feel like things went the way they're supposed to go.
well put
FCP CBO: Chief Beer Officer

I'm kind of a big deal.




#48 antistuff

antistuff

    monotonously monotonous

  • Members
  • 5,466 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:new york city

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:13 PM

View Postajs510, on Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 2:00 AM, said:

"In case" is a perfectly good reason for owning a gun. I own more than one because I'm a hopeless acquirer of things I don't need, kind of the same way I own 4 guitars even though I don't really play anymore. If I make it through my entire existence on this planet without ever having to point one of my guns at another person, I'll feel wonderful about that, I'll feel like things went the way they're supposed to go.
i agree. having a gun in your home "in case" is a completely reasonable thing to do. knowing that somebody may have committed a crime around your house and that the police are looking for him and running to the closet to grab your gun becouse you might get to use it is paranoid. and chrozzo, i understand that getting robbed is a really nasty thing, and that it makes you feel really small and helpless, but really, shooting somebody or getting shot over a few dollars is not cool.
QUOTE ( Barry Greenstein)
Successful gamblers are compulsive winners.

#49 chrozzo

chrozzo

    hi™

  • Members
  • 23,051 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Geico

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:21 PM

View Postantistuff, on Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 2:13 AM, said:

and chrozzo, i understand that getting robbed is a really nasty thing, and that it makes you feel really small and helpless, but really, shooting somebody or getting shot over a few dollars is not cool.
i dont want to get into a big thing about it here......but there are some neighborhoods in my town that was less than nice...so i want a little protection, since the closest police stationis about 10 block away. I understand the ramifications of premature firearm use, and I belive I am mature enough to avoid those.Belive me, i am smart anough NOT to pulla gun o a knife wielding moron, but if I am in our town ghetto, and he pulls a gun on me....chances are I will match the action and fire...i would be well within myrights
FCP CBO: Chief Beer Officer

I'm kind of a big deal.




#50 gatortom64

gatortom64

    Turning the beast around!!!

  • Members
  • 6,328 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. Augustine, FL
  • Interests:Poker, Fishing
  • Favorite Poker Game:All

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:24 PM

View Postantistuff, on Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 2:13 AM, said:

i agree. having a gun in your home "in case" is a completely reasonable thing to do. knowing that somebody may have committed a crime around your house and that the police are looking for him and running to the closet to grab your gun becouse you might get to use it is paranoid. and chrozzo, i understand that getting robbed is a really nasty thing, and that it makes you feel really small and helpless, but really, shooting somebody or getting shot over a few dollars is not cool.
You live in New York. Come out to the real world. You will learn.


Johnny Chan shaking hands with a legend.

http://www.facebook.com/thomas.dyer1

gatortom64: too bad I folded my 46, I woulda banked
gatortom64: but I am no Harrison Gimbel

#51 chrozzo

chrozzo

    hi™

  • Members
  • 23,051 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Geico

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:26 PM

View Postgatortom64, on Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 2:24 AM, said:

You live in New York. Come out to the real world. You will learn.
godammit, i get hypnotized by that avatar EVERYTIME!!!!
FCP CBO: Chief Beer Officer

I'm kind of a big deal.




#52 scram

scram

    Vote Ron Paul in 2008

  • Members
  • 1,725 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:www.RonPaul2008.com
  • Favorite Poker Game:None. I hate them all.

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:45 PM

View Postantistuff, on Friday, November 9th, 2007, 10:43 PM, said:

so i've never shot a gun in my life...
Wow. Stop the presses. What a shocker.

Quote

...and would like to. where would i go for this sort of thing? would i look up a shooting range in the phone book and give them a call? is that like a normal thing they do, have classes about this sort of thing?
In New York City, you're basically ****ed. That right has been taken away from you. Hope you feel "safe" because of it. But hey, look on the bright side. Even though that option isn't open to you, at least you don't have anything to be "paranoid" about.

#53 strategy

strategy

    Internet expert

  • Members
  • 15,932 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:strategy
  • Favorite Poker Game:strategy

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:56 PM

View Postkeith crime, on Friday, November 9th, 2007, 6:15 AM, said:

Posted ImageSince you mentioned the song might as well mention the author
long overdue fyp
QUOTE (ShakeZuma @ Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011, 4:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
seriously though, with that grammar it's really like, I mean it doesn't bother me as much that she gets beat, you know?


#54 hank213

hank213

    inventor of the tactical turtleneck..the tactilneck

  • Members
  • 9,498 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Danger Zone

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:57 PM

View Postantistuff, on Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 12:43 AM, said:

thats a really neat way to get yourself either shot or into a whole lot of trouble. im all for people having guns and whatnot, but stuff like this is just crazy. have you considered the consequences for shooting someone? you do realize you can kill them right? you are going to take somebody's life becouse they rob you for $50 and some pizza? no i'm going to take somebody's life because they would most likely take my life for that $50now this kind of scares me. not becouse you hear that somebody got pulled over and ran from the cops in your neighborhood and get scared and run for your gun. no, that kind of paranoia is just sad. it's not paranoia, it's heightened awareness what scares me is that you seem geniunly excited about the prospect of getting to use your gun to shoot somebody. no, we're satisfied with being able to balance the scales and refusing to be victimsexactly. you really think you need to own a gun to feel safe? no, but it sure helps i've lived in new york city for 24 years and i've had a gun pulled on me once, and you know what? i was probably asking for it. way to go douchebag, if you deserve it i'll pull my gun on you too with your "slight heroin problem if I think your a junkie coming after me. if you want to decrease your likelihood of dying stop smoking and eating like a pig and maybe go for a walk once in a while. and if you want to keep your kids safe, you can try making them do this too. want to decrease your likelihood of dying? stop trying to confront legal gun ownersagain, don't get me wrong. i think that people should be able to own guns. i think its 100% necessary that people be allowed to own guns. but sheesh, you sure are an awfully paranoid lot. it's not paranoia when people are really out to get you or see above--------sorry to hijack your thread hank. ill try to contribute something a little more on topic. so i've never shot a gun in my life and would like to. where would i go for this sort of thing? would i look up a shooting range in the phone book and give them a call? is that like a normal thing they do, have classes about this sort of thing?
well, if you really are interested in learning to shoot, it's most likely going to be difficult in NYC. First, find a class or something to learn how to safely handle firearms. Every pro gun person in this thread will tell you they're not toys and we don't view them as such. As much as we talk about how good a gun looks or how good it feels in the hand, we all understand the incredible responsibility that comes with owning a gun. So if you really want to devote some time, effort, and money into learning how to shoot safely and responsibly, well good for you and welcome to the fold. Now go do the work.I would highly suggest that whether you start out with a rifle or pistol you start with a .22. They're cheap to shoot and easy to handle. With a .22 you can quickly gain a grasp of the fundamentals of good shooting and it will translate to higher caliber weapons. The basics for all firearms are the same.BreathingPatienceControlGood luck, and I hope you give it a fair chance.
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

#55 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

    Ending the world one proton at a time

  • Members
  • 8,356 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manhattan
  • Interests:fizziks, teh maths, Raid-o-head, Rod Reynolds

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:58 PM

View Postscram, on Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 2:45 AM, said:

In New York City, you're basically ****ed. That right has been taken away from you. Hope you feel "safe" because of it. But hey, look on the bright side. Even though that option isn't open to you, at least you don't have anything to be "paranoid" about.
I think that not having a gun in NYC really doesn't hinder how protected you are. I understand the logic of wanting a gun if you live in a rural area miles away from anything else. In this city, at least, I think you'd do fine without a gun.I've only fired a gun once in my life. It was at a police station firing range with whatever standard gun the cops there used. It was pretty fun, I guess. I'd do it again. I used to be really into guns, especially the history of them. For some reason I was fascinated by the developmental history of weapons and firearms. I don't own any and I don't foresee myself ever owning any. In the city, I think a deadbolt gives me a million more times the protection of a handgun. But, maybe some day I'll wonder over to a range and have some fun.

#56 antistuff

antistuff

    monotonously monotonous

  • Members
  • 5,466 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:new york city

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:58 PM

View Postscram, on Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 2:45 AM, said:

Wow. Stop the presses. What a shocker.In New York City, you're basically ****ed. That right has been taken away from you. Hope you feel "safe" because of it. But hey, look on the bright side. Even though that option isn't open to you, at least you don't have anything to be "paranoid" about.
why would i feel safer because of that? if i am going to end up getting shot most likely it would be from a gun that wasn't purchased legally. i think you misunderstood me. whatever.
QUOTE ( Barry Greenstein)
Successful gamblers are compulsive winners.

#57 hank213

hank213

    inventor of the tactical turtleneck..the tactilneck

  • Members
  • 9,498 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Danger Zone

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:02 AM

View PostLongLiveYorke, on Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 1:58 AM, said:

I think that not having a gun in NYC really doesn't hinder how protected you are. I understand the logic of wanting a gun if you live in a rural area miles away from anything else. In this city, at least, I think you'd do fine without a gun.I've only fired a gun once in my life. It was at a police station firing range with whatever standard gun the cops there used. It was pretty fun, I guess. I'd do it again. I used to be really into guns, especially the history of them. For some reason I was fascinated by the developmental history of weapons and firearms. I don't own any and I don't foresee myself ever owning any. In the city, I think a deadbolt gives me a million more times the protection of a handgun. But, maybe some day I'll wonder over to a range and have some fun.
You're comparing apples and oranges. One is a passive defense tool while the other is active defense.
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

#58 hank213

hank213

    inventor of the tactical turtleneck..the tactilneck

  • Members
  • 9,498 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Danger Zone

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:05 AM

View Postantistuff, on Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 1:58 AM, said:

why would i feel safer because of that? if i am going to end up getting shot most likely it would be from a gun that wasn't purchased legally. i think you misunderstood me. whatever.
That's kind of the point. When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns. Just because it's a cliche doesn't mean it's not true.NOW STOP DEBATING THE +/- OF GUNS IN THIS THREAD
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

#59 ajs510

ajs510

    Resident Evil

  • Members
  • 24,991 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:06 AM

View Postantistuff, on Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 2:58 AM, said:

why would i feel safer because of that? if i am going to end up getting shot most likely it would be from a gun that wasn't purchased legally. i think you misunderstood me. whatever.
DING DING DING!!!!Winner.

#60 hank213

hank213

    inventor of the tactical turtleneck..the tactilneck

  • Members
  • 9,498 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Danger Zone

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:09 AM

chrozzo, i applaud your choice. for the simple fact that you took the time and effort to do it LEGALLY.Hope you never have to use it brother.
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users