90 replies to this topic

#41 Royal_Tour

Royal_Tour

Sherlock Holmes of butt sex

• Members
  • 14,322 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:42 PM

View PostLavitz, on Friday, May 11th, 2007, 9:37 PM, said:

There is no coming over the top of a check/raise then folding for us. A check/raise not only commits you, it puts so much money in the pot that it becomes HORRIBLE to fold. We're not getting away from this and if we do it'd be by doing something like betting half pot and then being able to fold to a reraise which seems like scared poker. Also, a check raise would basically put opponent all in anyways so he can't come over the top with anything significant.I'm going to reinforce that his raise to 25 doesn't mean suited connectors or small PP. A raise to 5BB is low with the straddle but you can't immediately put him on a hand because of it. Also, JJ/QQ play this the same, almost always. If OP's image is LAG then his hand range is even BIGGER here because he could be seeing our 3 bet as a move or correctly putting our 3 betting range as quite large and not necessarily strong.Why even play KK man if you are gonna play it so scared on a completely uncoordinated board such as 1023? Do you play KK/AA for set value only or something?
Thats only if villain bets out pot. villain doesnt bet out pot with a set. lets be honest here. if we're trully LAG, we should be firing with any PP here right?So yes, if we do check /raise a pot sized bet, i'm confident to invest. because I do not think our villain would call a check/raise. Why? because if we do check raise, it means villain made a bet when we showed weakness. Which is why i eliminate the set. and lead more to 99,88 or maybe JJAlso, in a live 2-5 game like OP is talking about, YES a raise of 3BB's is horrible for QQ,JJ. And NO. i dont play KK or AA for set value. But I play cash games, much differently than tournaments. I dont always invest my stack with AA or KK just because its a board lower than Q. I'm there for hours without any increasing blinds, or short handed situations.

#42 Royal_Tour

Royal_Tour

• Members
  • 14,322 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:49 PM

1 more thing.I also dont stay at a table with 300BB's for long. It might sound weak, but in my current situation, building a BR and staying fresh for everyhand i'm at the table, i usually leave if i triple or more my buy in.

#43 Lavitz

Lavitz

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:10 PM

View PostRoyal_Tour, on Friday, May 11th, 2007, 8:42 PM, said:

Thats only if villain bets out pot. villain doesnt bet out pot with a set. lets be honest here. if we're trully LAG, we should be firing with any PP here right?So yes, if we do check /raise a pot sized bet, i'm confident to invest. because I do not think our villain would call a check/raise. Why? because if we do check raise, it means villain made a bet when we showed weakness. Which is why i eliminate the set. and lead more to 99,88 or maybe JJAlso, in a live 2-5 game like OP is talking about, YES a raise of 3BB's is horrible for QQ,JJ. And NO. i dont play KK or AA for set value. But I play cash games, much differently than tournaments. I dont always invest my stack with AA or KK just because its a board lower than Q. I'm there for hours without any increasing blinds, or short handed situations.
I play cash games primarily and obviously I know not to overvalue overpairs. This situation is one of those cases where I am "overvaluing" it. We just put a LARGE amount of money in preflop which means once again less play postflop. We also got the best flop we could hope for. Basically you're hinting if he bets we check-raise all in because he wouldn't bet a set. I think this is completely wrong but I will entertain it for a minute. What do we do if he checks? Automatically assume he has a monster? If he checks we go to the turn are we supposed to check our overpair again?? That is obviously wrong. Also, if we bet pot on turn and he reraises then do we give him credit for a monster or do we even take into account he is probably doing this because we showed huge weakness on the flop and bet the turn? I think we're getting too close to Fancy Play Syndrome here when the correct way to play the hand is simple.

#44 David_Nicoson

David_Nicoson

Official Forum Me

• Members
  • 4,418 posts
  • Interests:Poker<br />Poker<br />Sex<br />Sleep<br />baseball<br />softball<br />Poker<br />Poker<br />Poker<br />Axis and Allies and other lesser board games<br />Chess<br />Poker<br />Poker<br />Poker
  • Favorite Poker Game:pot-limit Euchre

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:12 PM

View PostRoyal_Tour, on Saturday, May 12th, 2007, 12:42 AM, said:

Also, in a live 2-5 game like OP is talking about, YES a raise of 3BB's is horrible for QQ,JJ.
I don't think so. I have played several guys who always raise to ~10x from EP with medium pairs but make smaller raises with everything else. They're easily read.
QUOTE(bleacherbum3 @ Friday, February 29th, 2008, 3:28 AM) View Post
I'm invincible. Like Super Mario when he gets that star thingy.

#45 Royal_Tour

Royal_Tour

• Members
  • 14,322 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:18 PM

View PostDavid_Nicoson, on Friday, May 11th, 2007, 10:12 PM, said:

I don't think so. I have played several guys who always raise to ~10x from EP with medium pairs but make smaller raises with everything else. They're easily read.
But is this the case??And duuudes! please, before you guys continue to hammer your only point of "villain could have QQ or JJ" and "KK has to bet and push this all day everyday". before you guys keep going on the same route, at least do me the favor and answer me this.what hands does villain raise to 25, then smooth call 125 with, but checks the flop if checked too?For my sake, god forbid. but some people have said, villain could check behind or blah blah. but what types of hands is he checking behind after the preflop action and now this board?

#46 Sefaje

Sefaje

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:♠♥♣♦

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:23 PM

royal, your posts are getting worse and worse.do you think its a coincidence that everyone else here thinks a check is terrible? you said yourself that suited connectors are in his range --- with 2 hearts and a couple connected cards on the flop, a check is bad.and also, you're saying that villain will NOT bet pot with us beat. why do you think that? and why will he ALWAYS bet the flop if we check? he wont. you're wrong. if he has two hearts, he'll probably check behind, which is a disaster for us. if he has an ace, seeing the turn for free is a disaster. if he has a lower pair than us, the turn is a disaster because he's able to catch up and beat us or get scared by a turn and not pay us like he would have on the flop. your reasoning may be correct against a very specific opponent on whom you have a terrific read, but in this case it's absolutely insane.

#47 David_Nicoson

David_Nicoson

Official Forum Me

• Members
  • 4,418 posts
  • Interests:Poker<br />Poker<br />Sex<br />Sleep<br />baseball<br />softball<br />Poker<br />Poker<br />Poker<br />Axis and Allies and other lesser board games<br />Chess<br />Poker<br />Poker<br />Poker

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:26 PM

Some random points:
  • This isn't a deep-stacked situation after the straddle is on. It's like any garden variety 5/10.
  • OP should anticipate this tough situation preflop. Three cards are going to come on every flop, any one of which can make the villain(s) a set. We have to look at least one move ahead.
  • There's really no plausible line for which the set doesn't get our stack. Even if we check-call all the way, we're calling something like 200 on the flop, 300 on the turn, and 300 on the river. Where can we fold our overpair? Given that, we have to construct a post flop strategy that extracts the most when we're ahead.

#48 Royal_Tour

Royal_Tour

• Members
  • 14,322 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:27 PM

View PostSefaje, on Friday, May 11th, 2007, 10:23 PM, said:

royal, your posts are getting worse and worse.do you think its a coincidence that everyone else here thinks a check is terrible? you said yourself that suited connectors are in his range --- with 2 hearts and a couple connected cards on the flop, a check is bad.and also, you're saying that villain will NOT bet pot with us beat. why do you think that? and why will he ALWAYS bet the flop if we check? he wont. you're wrong. if he has two hearts, he'll probably check behind, which is a disaster for us. if he has an ace, seeing the turn for free is a disaster. if he has a lower pair than us, the turn is a disaster because he's able to catch up and beat us or get scared by a turn and not pay us like he would have on the flop. your reasoning may be correct against a very specific opponent on whom you have a terrific read, but in this case it's absolutely insane.
you guys havent given any sort of strategy to this hand. So far, the majority say. bet / get raised / shove. This is supposed to be the norm?Plus, most of you say i'm stupid for saying small PP or suited connectors. but now ur saying that if he has 2 hearts its a disaster? what happend to his JJ or QQ story?and what about us? we dont know which kings we have, OP didnt say if we have a heart or not.If you agree that we have to lead this flop 100% of the time. what do you do if we get raised? what do u do if we get called?

#49 Royal_Tour

Royal_Tour

• Members
  • 14,322 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:29 PM

View PostDavid_Nicoson, on Friday, May 11th, 2007, 10:26 PM, said:

Some random points:
  • This isn't a deep-stacked situation after the straddle is on. It's like any garden variety 5/10.
  • OP should anticipate this tough situation preflop. Three cards are going to come on every flop, any one of which can make the villain(s) a set. We have to look at least one move ahead.
  • There's really no plausible line for which the set doesn't get our stack. Even if we check-call all the way, we're calling something like 200 on the flop, 300 on the turn, and 300 on the river. Where can we fold our overpair? Given that, we have to construct a post flop strategy that extracts the most when we're ahead.
thank you.finally someone who wants to talk strategy to making big laydowns on occasions, instead of just ABC shove KK all day down by the bay.Oh and, PS. yes i like your line on a garden variety 5/10 , this really proves on the point of making a larger raise preflop.

#50 Sefaje

Sefaje

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:42 PM

View PostRoyal_Tour, on Saturday, May 12th, 2007, 12:27 AM, said:

you guys havent given any sort of strategy to this hand. So far, the majority say. bet / get raised / shove. This is supposed to be the norm?Plus, most of you say i'm stupid for saying small PP or suited connectors. but now ur saying that if he has 2 hearts its a disaster? what happend to his JJ or QQ story?and what about us? we dont know which kings we have, OP didnt say if we have a heart or not.If you agree that we have to lead this flop 100% of the time. what do you do if we get raised? what do u do if we get called?
No. No one ever said he always has JJ/QQ. it's just a very reasonable part of his range. Hero is LAG, and Villain could be putting Hero on a squeeze from the straddle, so there are many hands that villain can be playing here... such asQQ/JJ/TT/99/88/AK/AQ/AJ/AT/other low pairs/an occasional suited connector.With that range, checking the flop is very, very bad. A lot of those hands, he'll never put more money in until he has a pair of kings beaten. therefore, we don't want to allow him to draw cheaply with those. Other hands in that range that might pay us, are most likely to pay us on the flop while...A - our hand can still look a little bluffishB - there isn't much for QQ/JJ/99 to be scared of if theyre not giving us credit for a big pairC - he is drawing to a flush or straight and will pay to draw. we need to charge him for this and take away his odds/implied odds.if we check to him and he checks behind, we now know absolutely nothing and unless the turn is a king that is not a heart, the value of our hand has decreased and the value of our opponent's hand is completely unknown --- he could check behind with a set, with a flush draw, with 88--QQ, AK, etc --- and all the hands we beat can improve to beat us for free or get scared and not pay us on the turn when we bet as they would have on the flop. There. i dont know why you think our posts are devoid of strategy. its yours that are devoid of any kind of rational thought.Also, with a LAG image, i AM betting this almost 100% of the time. if we get raised im probably shoveling since a solid player would raise a LAG with many hands that we are ahead of here if he isn't giving us much credit. (QQ,JJ,99,AT,AK, a flush draw, other pairs, whatever.) if we get called, the turn card determines my action but i cant imagine getting away from this very easily once we have half our stack invested. it's not like checking the flop through makes the turn any easier than betting and getting called. there's a huuuuge difference in stacking off badly with KK and a tight image and nearly unavoidable stackoffs with a LAG image.

#51 Royal_Tour

Royal_Tour

• Members
  • 14,322 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:46 PM

View PostSefaje, on Friday, May 11th, 2007, 10:42 PM, said:

No. No one ever said he always has JJ/QQ. it's just a very reasonable part of his range. Hero is LAG, and Villain could be putting Hero on a squeeze from the straddle, so there are many hands that villain can be playing here... such asQQ/JJ/TT/99/88/AK/AQ/AJ/AT/other low pairs/an occasional suited connector.With that range, checking the flop is very, very bad. A lot of those hands, he'll never put more money in until he has a pair of kings beaten. therefore, we don't want to allow him to draw cheaply with those. Other hands in that range that might pay us, are most likely to pay us on the flop while...A - our hand can still look a little bluffishB - there isn't much for QQ/JJ/99 to be scared of if theyre not giving us credit for a big pairC - he is drawing to a flush or straight and will pay to draw. we need to charge him for this and take away his odds/implied odds.if we check to him and he checks behind, we now know absolutely nothing and unless the turn is a king that is not a heart, the value of our hand has decreased and the value of our opponent's hand is completely unknown --- he could check behind with a set, with a flush draw, with 88--QQ, AK, etc --- and all the hands we beat can improve to beat us for free or get scared and not pay us on the turn when we bet as they would have on the flop. There. i dont know why you think our posts are devoid of strategy. its yours that are devoid of any kind of rational thought.Also, with a LAG image, i AM betting this almost 100% of the time. if we get raised im probably shoveling since a solid player would raise a LAG with many hands that we are ahead of here if he isn't giving us much credit. (QQ,JJ,99,AT,AK, a flush draw, other pairs, whatever.) if we get called, the turn card determines my action but i cant imagine getting away from this very easily once we have half our stack invested. it's not like checking the flop through makes the turn any easier than betting and getting called. there's a huuuuge difference in stacking off badly with KK and a tight image and nearly unavoidable stackoffs with a LAG image.
(bold section) Because if you lead the flop, and you get raised, why are u simply pushing? do you fold to a raise? or do you put villain on AA,KK,QQ,JJ,TT,99,33,22 (which we're only ahead of 2, and chop 1 out of the range u put villain onP.S. i think its safe to eliminate AK. no solid player plays AK like a moron just because u happen to be LAG.

#52 Sefaje

Sefaje

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:52 PM

View PostRoyal_Tour, on Saturday, May 12th, 2007, 12:46 AM, said:

(bold section) Because if you lead the flop, and you get raised, why are u simply pushing? do you fold to a raise? or do you put villain on AA,KK,QQ,JJ,TT,99,33,22 (which we're only ahead of 2, and chop 1 out of the range u put villain onP.S. i think its safe to eliminate AK. no solid player plays AK like a moron just because u happen to be LAG.

View Postsefaje, on Whenever I posted this, said:

#53 Royal_Tour

Royal_Tour

• Members
  • 14,322 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:57 PM

U keep saying a solid player would raise LAG with QQ,JJ,etc etc.but go back to preflop.a solid player doesnt bet 25 here and smooth call another 100. here.if the hand went like so:hero straddle, villain raise to 50. back to hero, hero raise to to 175. villain call 125. flop 10,2,3 i say shovel 100%.but it wasnt that way. and its why i take a different line with my kings this time.** please. me personally., Royal_Tour, RT, Poo Poo Mcmuffin, I play this hand differently from the get go. I raise more preflop, and if i do get called at that point, I'm only scared of 10,10. but thats 1 hand over a large range, so i bet.the way Hero played it, i take this approach

#54 David_Nicoson

David_Nicoson

Official Forum Me

• Members
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:58 PM

View PostRoyal_Tour, on Saturday, May 12th, 2007, 1:46 AM, said:

P.S. i think its safe to eliminate AK. no solid player plays AK like a moron just because u happen to be LAG.
What do you think the right line is for a villain with AK?

#55 Royal_Tour

Royal_Tour

• Members
  • 14,322 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:03 PM

View PostDavid_Nicoson, on Friday, May 11th, 2007, 10:58 PM, said:

What do you think the right line is for a villain with AK?
I think 100% villain folds to a lead out bet on the flop.if you want to go to my theory.you check, villain (if he is capable of a bluff) might make a bet here, probably around 200. trying to take the pot, but not nvesting too much. in which case you raise. villain folds.or BVillain checks behind. turn comes. only scare card is an A. you put villain on AK maybe?, 3 aces in deck he's a 4:1 dog. Its possible for the A to hit the turn, but i like my odds here.Infact i like these odds way more, than if we lead, and he raises and we hope he has QQ,JJ

#56 Sefaje

Sefaje

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:08 PM

View PostRoyal_Tour, on Saturday, May 12th, 2007, 1:03 AM, said:

I think 100% villain folds to a lead out bet on the flop.if you want to go to my theory.you check, villain (if he is capable of a bluff) might make a bet here, probably around 200. trying to take the pot, but not nvesting too much. in which case you raise. villain folds.or BVillain checks behind. turn comes. only scare card is an A. you put villain on AK maybe?, 3 aces in deck he's a 4:1 dog. Its possible for the A to hit the turn, but i like my odds here.Infact i like these odds way more, than hoping he has QQ and raises me so i can shove
what's your plan for the turn if it gets checked through? bet? and what if he raises? folding there is pretty weak, so in the end all you did differently was give weaker hands a chance to outdraw you or get scared and not pay you off. i dont think villain will bluff that often with hands he wont call or raise the flop with, especially if he realizes that a tricky LAG player's check means strength almost as often as it does weakness. in fact, id expect villain to be more likely to think we're weak if we keep pounding away. betting puts him in a position where he can make a mistake with a hand we beat.also, the only scare card isn't an ace. you said he's playing low pairs and suited connectors too, right? so any 4,5, or 6 can be bad, any ace, any ten, or any heart. but i think the most important is that a lot of pairs he'll pay us with on the flop won't pay us anymore if a scary turn comes off.

#57 Royal_Tour

Royal_Tour

• Members
  • 14,322 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:17 PM

View PostSefaje, on Friday, May 11th, 2007, 11:08 PM, said:

what's your plan for the turn if it gets checked through? bet? and what if he raises? folding there is pretty weak, so in the end all you did differently was give weaker hands a chance to outdraw you or get scared and not pay you off. i dont think villain will bluff that often with hands he wont call or raise the flop with, especially if he realizes that a tricky LAG player's check means strength almost as often as it does weakness. in fact, id expect villain to be more likely to think we're weak if we keep pounding away. betting puts him in a position where he can make a mistake with a hand we beat.also, the only scare card isn't an ace. you said he's playing low pairs and suited connectors too, right? so any 4,5, or 6 can be bad, any ace, any ten, or any heart. but i think the most important is that a lot of pairs he'll pay us with on the flop won't pay us anymore if a scary turn comes off.
we need to change gears, being a LAG player wont pay you off unless u change gears. you're going to get pushed back at vs other LAG's and you're going to tangle with TAG's who only raise u with the goods.And, I'd also ask, from the OP. what he defines as lag? because we might be debating a whole different thing here for no reason.I mean, if he tells me he's been branded as lag cuz he sees lots of flops, and bets strong when he hits? i might have different opinions as if he said he is branded as LAG because everyone at the table is TAG and he's the only one making straddles, and so forth.

#58 Lavitz

Lavitz

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:36 AM

View PostRoyal_Tour, on Friday, May 11th, 2007, 9:57 PM, said:

U keep saying a solid player would raise LAG with QQ,JJ,etc etc.but go back to preflop.a solid player doesnt bet 25 here and smooth call another 100. here.if the hand went like so:hero straddle, villain raise to 50. back to hero, hero raise to to 175. villain call 125. flop 10,2,3 i say shovel 100%.but it wasnt that way. and its why i take a different line with my kings this time.** please. me personally., Royal_Tour, RT, Poo Poo Mcmuffin, I play this hand differently from the get go. I raise more preflop, and if i do get called at that point, I'm only scared of 10,10. but thats 1 hand over a large range, so i bet.the way Hero played it, i take this approach
Against a LAG who is likely making a very opportunistic squeeze play (5BB raise, and FOUR callers) I am cold calling AKo here most of the time. The other amount of the time I might 4 bet if villian has been 3 betting liberally. Cold calling with 22-QQ is very plausible as well. Either hit the flop or see a ragged one against a LAG and my PP is looking pretty good most of the time. Unfortunately, villian will hit a set a small percentage of the time but I think you playing with such a small BR has affected your thinking. I'd say were good about 85% of the time here against his range.PS, if we include suited connectors in his range it is horrible to check this flop because we are giving OESD, Flush draws, and hands that caught one of the low cards a chance to catch up.

#59 Ganador

Ganador

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:56 AM

OK, just to clear the air on this. I am a LAG player. I play 30-40 hours a week live, in the same game, in the same casino. I am winning player. I know how to play deep stack NL holdem, in fact, its my speciality, my tournament play is decent, but my cash game play is pretty damn good. And I know beyond any reason of a doubt, that raising large preflop with KK, and then checking a 10 high flop, is just completely ridiculous, you just don't do it. Enough said, close the damn post already.

#60 tskillz187

tskillz187

Great Tiger, you're next!

• Members
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:23 AM

View PostGanador, on Saturday, May 12th, 2007, 8:56 AM, said:

OK, just to clear the air on this. I am a LAG player. I play 30-40 hours a week live, in the same game, in the same casino. I am winning player. I know how to play deep stack NL holdem, in fact, its my speciality, my tournament play is decent, but my cash game play is pretty damn good. And I know beyond any reason of a doubt, that raising large preflop with KK, and then checking a 10 high flop, is just completely ridiculous, you just don't do it. Enough said, close the damn post already.
FWIW he's not a very good tournament player.And he is very LAG he's at the casino I go to in the same game everytime I'm there.Oh, and how did a KK post get this long? BBFIDTS
Naismith (2:56:11 PM): fuckerflakeoutonmystakingnowmakingmillions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users