I was in a MTT blinds 150-300 25 ante my stack at about 10k in the sb with 2h 4s, folded to me...i complete..BB checks their option 18k in chipsFlop is 2c 3h 4s i bet half the pot, bb re-raises 4k......what do I do?Edited: I'm a lil rattled, first blind quote was wrong.

K since its not really overloading the servers to find out if I played this right, I give the results...It was a 1.10 rebuy 1k guar event..I invested 3 dollars and was hovering under average most of the tourney, this hand was the first after a 5 minute breakBB raises 4k, I'm pretty sure he didn't flop a strt, the only thing I put him on was an overpair. I reraised all in....he called...turn, J.....river inconsequential. He shows JJ. should i have just layed down in the face of the 4k raise? Or did the JJ make a bad read and get lucky?

well it was only half a bet to complete, so i figured 2 pair with strt possibilities was a pretty nice flop...Should i have been looking for a flopped strt and got out with the aggression? (since the strt didn't come) Plus there are only 2 of us in the hand...i spose i coulda folded since 2 4 isn't a premium hand.

well it was only half a bet to complete, so i figured 2 pair with strt possibilities was a pretty nice flop...Should i have been looking for a flopped strt and got out with the aggression? (since the strt didn't come) Plus there are only 2 of us in the hand...i spose i coulda folded since 2 4 isn't a premium hand.
Well, just because it's 1/2 a bet, doesn't mean you have to call. You'll be playing a crappy hand out of position. 24o is a fold. You can probably play a wide range, but not 100%, and 24o is definitely in the bottom end.Anyways, if I did call, this is exactly the flop I'm looking for. Since it is blind vs blind, I'm not worried about his raise, you're usually still way ahead. I shove the flop.

Ok, so i made the right choice, just the wrong result....yah and normally I wouldn't play 24 at all, just that i needed to get something going to get above average.

Yeah when I say fold preflop I mean that's what I think you should have done. Especially if the villain raised like he should have. On the flop this is a pretty easy shove. Just because the villain played the hand extremely poorly and got lucky doesn't mean you didn't do the right thing. Welcome to strat, where results based thinking=bad. Just ask Zach how many Sklansky bucks you earned,

The reason I asked is because I more or less got berated after getting put out of the tourney by this guy. Made me second guess my play and if placed in a similiar situation I should just fold, or if it is correct to push. I guess.

thanks for the feedback, and I think i'm just gonna take my buddies advice and shut off chat when i'm in a tourney.
I don't suggest doing that, because people give away a lot of information. Just know that everyone thinks they are a genius these days because someone once told them to be tight/aggressive. Just don't let it get to you. Here's an article about online tells, and why you should leave the chat on.http://www.pocketfives.com/47B2AC5D-32D2-4...667011EC16.aspxVery good article.

I probably fold pre-flop. Once playing the hand you must push flop to the reraise. He got in for free and could really have anything. Even if you give him credit for a hand you really only worry with 33 or A5 and without a read I think either of these hands would raise you preflop to know what they may be getting themselves into here.And really, if you play and crap hand like 24o, you can't get much better a flop than you did. If you don't play it fast it goes back to why you should have folded pre-flop.You were ahead when the money went in and that's all you can ask for in the end.

Well, just because it's 1/2 a bet, doesn't mean you have to call. You'll be playing a crappy hand out of position. 24o is a fold.
Totally agree with Zach. I'm a fold. :club: Srsly, though, I would usually take the heads up shot and complete from the SB... but 24o, given an aggressive villain, IS a rather weak hand that needs to hit the flop pretty hard, because a bluffed flop bet will not shake villain. Your call on whether to play it or not.Also, betting half the pot isn't a strong bet against a single opponent postflop. You probably need to pot-bet the flop if you're gonna bet, unless you have the nuts and want to tempt your opponent to raise.Also, online poker is full of pricks. Don't take their crap too hard. However, to counter NET's assertion, I would shut off chat if it's a distraction, only because players will use it to try and screw around with you, and any 'tells' you get may not be what they seem to be. Don't think that players don't know that 'this tell means this' and then don't do said things to manipulate opponents into reacting certain ways. Just eliminate that weapon for them entirely and shut it off if it's a distraction. As a factor, it's below minimal and taking it with a grain of salt is probably giving it too much credit.

lol how ironic, good post tho, i might experiment with chat off, and see how I fare. If it doesn't seem to effect my state of mind that much, i'll try it back on.

Id fold preflop but would be very tossed up what to do here. I dont see a lot of hands raising here that arent trips, straight, or pair and a straight draw. Id debate a while and probably fold.