169 replies to this topic

#61 logic411

logic411

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:59 PM

View PostDanielNegreanu, on Monday, April 9th, 2007, 4:47 PM, said:

In order for the whole phone thing to work, one person has to dial it, but then it's the reponsibility of the other party to pick up said phone. They've discussed this at length and still they've shown no desire to pay. There is absolutely no question about it. They lost the money, admit to losing the money, and know full well that they owe the full amount. Not half, not a settlement, all of it. How can you justify playing 72 holes in two days, upping the stakes repeatedly, and then after the fact saying that you shouldn't have to pay?
I'm always one to take Daniel to task for things he writes that I disagree with, but I gotta say I'm 100% with him on this one. You lose, you pay. Crying is optional, paying what you owe isn't.

#62 nutzbuster

nutzbuster

Point taken....

• Members
  • 11,378 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:00 PM

View Postirishguy, on Monday, April 9th, 2007, 1:55 PM, said:

um I think ou quoted the wrong guy. I agree with you 100% and was mocking the person whom I quoted.
oops. sorry man.It was that "WHAT THE "F" ARE YOU DOING?!!" yelling redneck daddy remark that just cracked me up.This topic is GREAT debate imo, as it sheds light on the inner working intricacies of these types of high stakes wagers.Facinating stuff. :club:

F Cancer

#63 iowahawk09

iowahawk09

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:01 PM

Def. Interesting thats for sure

#64 robgibraltar

robgibraltar

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:07 PM

Daniel - were you asked to repeat the facts or to make your own judgement based on what you admit is only one side of the story?Repeating the facts as you have been told them from a person involved, and even repeating that person's take on the situation is admirable and something any good friend would do. However I believe that, for all your good intentions, by making a public judgement of the situation and levelling accusations at a party who's version of events you have not heard is a little irresponsible.You have a wide audience, and are well respected both inside and outisde of the poker world. People listen to you. With the respect you receive comes an obligation to be fair - both to your friends and to those who could have been misunderstood. If you were just a 2-bit player with a blog audience of 1 then no big deal. But you're not. People who do not know the facts cannot fail to be influenced by your writings.My personal opinion is that this has been the mother of all misunderstandings. But I'm pretty sure that I have never once seen any form of confession by 'Mar' (as you so adroitly put it) stating that he owed the money / had no intention to pay etc. That is my opinion, and I could be wrong. I don't have a blog audience so it doesn't really matter if I am right or wrong.Please consider a modification to your blog - remove your own judgements for the time being until you are in full posession of all the facts and until someone has asked you to make a judgement.I'm not trying to rob you of your right to free speech, far from it. But what about the rights of the other parties to be heard before judgement is made?Thanks - and best of luck at the tables.R.

#65 beliblis

beliblis

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:11 PM

If this was the first time these guys ever played then you can say he cheated. But they play before and Ivey lost money and paid in full. The fact is they made a game thinking they where going to take Ivey for some cash. If they would have won 1.8 Mill if Ivey could not cover the spot you think they would have said don't worry about paying us the spot wasn't fair? No they would want to get paid then change the spot. A good gambler pays even when he gets hustled a hustler never pays even when he loses on a fair bet.
BUDDY GAVE ME THE SEVEN HE DIDN'T LIKE IT
I GAVE BUDDY THE SEVEN HE DIDN'T LIKE IT
DN CAN HAVE THE LAST THREE

#66 DanielNegreanu

DanielNegreanu

Poker Forum Veteran

• Root Admin
  • 8,247 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:17 PM

View Postrobgibraltar, on Monday, April 9th, 2007, 2:07 PM, said:

Daniel - were you asked to repeat the facts or to make your own judgement based on what you admit is only one side of the story?Repeating the facts as you have been told them from a person involved, and even repeating that person's take on the situation is admirable and something any good friend would do. However I believe that, for all your good intentions, by making a public judgement of the situation and levelling accusations at a party who's version of events you have not heard is a little irresponsible.You have a wide audience, and are well respected both inside and outisde of the poker world. People listen to you. With the respect you receive comes an obligation to be fair - both to your friends and to those who could have been misunderstood. If you were just a 2-bit player with a blog audience of 1 then no big deal. But you're not. People who do not know the facts cannot fail to be influenced by your writings.My personal opinion is that this has been the mother of all misunderstandings. But I'm pretty sure that I have never once seen any form of confession by 'Mar' (as you so adroitly put it) stating that he owed the money / had no intention to pay etc. That is my opinion, and I could be wrong. I don't have a blog audience so it doesn't really matter if I am right or wrong.Please consider a modification to your blog - remove your own judgements for the time being until you are in full posession of all the facts and until someone has asked you to make a judgement.I'm not trying to rob you of your right to free speech, far from it. But what about the rights of the other parties to be heard before judgement is made?Thanks - and best of luck at the tables.R.
A well written post. However, they have been heard from and presented their side of the story in the blog post written by Marc. The post is full of holes IMO, and even if what they said was accurate (I don't beleive it to be) it would have no bearing on whether they lost the money and should pay in full. What justification could they have for not even paying the portion that they won from Phil, which is approximately $220,000? I have heard thier side of the story, but frankly, I don't think they have a leg to stand on here. Whether they feel like they got hustled or not, they gambled, lost... and now need to pay.
Posted Image

#67 Bulldawg_Fan

Bulldawg_Fan

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:18 PM

I found this laughable the first time I read about it. A bet is a bet. The appropriate thing that should have been done all along is reach a settlement with Ivey. Pay something they could afford to pay. If Phil feels like they should pay the entire thing, then that is his right, and they should work out some terms. I think I would have made the phone call to Eric Lindgren before I decided to play Phil for money, just to find out how he has been playing.

#68 iowahawk09

iowahawk09

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:19 PM

View PostDanielNegreanu, on Monday, April 9th, 2007, 4:17 PM, said:

A well written post. However, they have been heard from and presented their side of the story in the blog post written by Marc. The post is full of holes IMO, and even if what they said was accurate (I don't beleive it to be) it would have no bearing on whether they lost the money and should pay in full. What justification could they have for not even paying the portion that they won from Phil, which is approximately $220,000? I have heard thier side of the story, but frankly, I don't think they have a leg to stand on here. Whether they feel like they got hustled or not, they gambled, lost... and now need to pay.
I dont think DN is arguing about confessions or cheating or anything of the sorts.I think he is saying that they made a bet, they lost, and regardless they should pay up.

#69 Kwest4chipz

Kwest4chipz

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL HOLDEM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:22 PM

I'm finding it very hard to keep up with new posts....anyone else?

#70 iowahawk09

iowahawk09

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:25 PM

Maybe you should switch to another random blog to worship

#71 Sid Simelia

Sid Simelia

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Baseball, Television, Xbox, Hip Hop, Movies, Pro Wrestling, Punk Rock shows..
  • Favorite Poker Game:Limit Holdem

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:29 PM

Oh, no, Phil Ivey has lost a couple thousand dickriders and the poker "In crowd" has reached for the panic button.I wouldn't bet Phil at my best game for a dollar. It's ignorant to put money up to that man.

#72 Kwest4chipz

Kwest4chipz

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:31 PM

And have to take down my shrine around my computer? Dedicated to DN? OVER my dead body! Its taken years to perfect it. I might have to tho, since DN is PI's puppet. I always pick the wrong blogs to worship......time to burn some poker chip incense and hope this is all a horrible nightmare.

#73 iowahawk09

iowahawk09

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:32 PM

View PostSid Simelia, on Monday, April 9th, 2007, 4:29 PM, said:

Oh, no, Phil Ivey has lost a couple thousand dickriders and the poker "In crowd" has reached for the panic button.I wouldn't bet Phil at my best game for a dollar. It's ignorant to put money up to that man.
Not even your best xbox 360 game. I think I could beat his *** at Tiger Woods

#74 iowahawk09

iowahawk09

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:36 PM

View PostKwest4chipz, on Monday, April 9th, 2007, 4:31 PM, said:

And have to take down my shrine around my computer? Dedicated to DN? OVER my dead body! Its taken years to perfect it. I might have to tho, since DN is PI's puppet. I always pick the wrong blogs to worship......time to burn some poker chip incense and hope this is all a horrible nightmare.
Seek counseling, then move to England to enjoy some crumpets.Only viable solution I can think of

#75 Kwest4chipz

Kwest4chipz

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:38 PM

Do they have good blogs in England?

#76 Sid Simelia

Sid Simelia

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Baseball, Television, Xbox, Hip Hop, Movies, Pro Wrestling, Punk Rock shows..
  • Favorite Poker Game:Limit Holdem

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

View Postiowahawk09, on Monday, April 9th, 2007, 1:32 PM, said:

Not even your best xbox 360 game. I think I could beat his *** at Tiger Woods
Lol.. I don't know, he would probably practice non stop for a full week and then show up all, "What does this button do? We can make it a thousand if you want."

#77 Kwest4chipz

Kwest4chipz

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:52 PM

Wasn't there a video on here somewhere where the Hendon Mob, got clipped for a grip of cash by poker cheats?I think they got their money back but if it wasn't staged....makes all this very ironic.

#78 Rupert

Rupert

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:04 PM

View PostKwest4chipz, on Monday, April 9th, 2007, 1:52 PM, said:

Wasn't there a video on here somewhere where the Hendon Mob, got clipped for a grip of cash by poker cheats?I think they got their money back but if it wasn't staged....makes all this very ironic.
You are talking about this: Its just a TV program where they "hustle" people and then cheat basically. They were made aware of what it was afterwards.You have to think that both Ram and Marc are very aware of the implications within gambling circles of not paying up a lost bet, so it is probably best to keep an open mind now. These guys aren't exactly new kids who aren't familiar with what goes on.

#79 Kwest4chipz

Kwest4chipz

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:09 PM

i just find it ironic.

#80 Pacstar

Pacstar

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:37 PM

View PostDanielNegreanu, on Monday, April 9th, 2007, 1:17 PM, said:

Without getting involved with whos right and whos wrong as that is for the parties involved and no one elseDN has a very valid point - as a poker player when you try and find a table to sit at, you always size up your opponents and play at a table that you believe is the most advantageous to you.You then dont play for 12 hours, realise its a bunch of sharks and you are down a packet and then say sorry guys you were hustling me Im not paying. You make that decision at the start and whatever happens after (no matter what) is a result of that decision. Good or bad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users