Some Hockey Pet Peeves

Here are some things off the top of my head that drive me absolutely insane when I see them happen.1. Going in on the net and taking a shot and then skating off into the corner or turning away from the net. I blame it on the years of practicing breakaways where you skate in on the goalies and then circle back to get in line for your next chance. 2. The defensemen backing up around centre ice instead of stopping and taking a step forward to pick up a loose puck. I can't believe how many times I see the d-man retreat and let the opposition forward pick up the puck.3. Wingers not covering the opposition pointmen in their defensive end. Take away the pointman and you take away an option for the opposition forward. You usually see the winger at the top of the circle where he is not checking the winger down low nor is he covering the pointman. This is usually more of a coaching decision but it still bugs the sh*t out of me.4. THIS IS MY BIGGEST ONE. Taking your time skating off the ice when changing on the fly. GET OFF THE F*CKING ICE AND BE QUICK ABOUT IT. The longer you take the longer we're shorthanded. If you can't hustle to the bench you've been out on the ice too f'ing long! 5. Wingers in their own end who shoot the puck around the boards to their side. Really, it's your wing and you're not there...who do you think will get the puck? Maybe the opposition d-man?6. Shots more than 4 feet high. When I played I loved to be in front of the net. It would p*ss me off when the pointmen would shoot it high because a) it's not going in, b) I can't legally deflect it, and c) it could f'ing kill me.I'll think of more. Anyone else got any?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

number 3 is even more annoying when you're playing hockey.number 2 is borderline, if the defenseman steps forward to get the puck, there's a chance that the forward still gets there first and if that happens it's almost a guarantee that the d-man will get burned. Backing up is the much safer play, because outside of a couple guys, D really don't get beat one on one anymore.

the two teams with the most wins in the west are facing off in the first round. well that's not a pet peeve. i just think it's kind of strange.edit: a pet peeve of mine is drop passes. some teams do this way too often. it's just stupid.

I can think of dozens, but here's one I really hate that's kind of subtle: Team needs a change, defenseman fires the puck straight up the middle to a cutting forward who just deflects the puck into the corner.... so often I think to myself, a creative forward would take that pass on the fly and turn it right in on the net on the rush. Same result, better hockey...

I can think of dozens, but here's one I really hate that's kind of subtle: Team needs a change, defenseman fires the puck straight up the middle to a cutting forward who just deflects the puck into the corner.... so often I think to myself, a creative forward would take that pass on the fly and turn it right in on the net on the rush. Same result, better hockey...
But isn't that forward tired?
2. The defensemen backing up around centre ice instead of stopping and taking a step forward to pick up a loose puck. I can't believe how many times I see the d-man retreat and let the opposition forward pick up the puck.
My pet peeve at Pens games are when the same fans that used to yell at Gonchar for jumping into the play, not getting the puck, then getting hopelessly burned now yell at him when he backs up and makes the safe play.
But isn't that forward tired?
On the forecheck to get the change, most of the time the high forward is responsible for pursuing the forecheck into the other end anyway, to buy time for the farside D to get back across the ice..

The extra unnecessary move at the blue line that leads to an offside. Happened alot less when I played the game (alot slower me thinks) but hate watching it on tv with the pros. A great 3-2 rush spoiled by the whistle. Slap shot after a whistle took one of the ankle not nice.

My pet peeve at Pens games are when the same fans that used to yell at Gonchar for jumping into the play, not getting the puck, then getting hopelessly burned now yell at him when he backs up and makes the safe play.
There are times when you should back up because you may not get to the puck. However, the times I am talking about are when the d-man can clearly get to the puck but still chooses to back up.

linesmen who jerk off WAY too long before dropping the puck on draws.you don't see referees do this nearly as often after goals and at the start of periods, seemingly it's just the linesmen.

7. Wade Dubielewicz
lol. Also, New Jersey Devils who decide to try to DEKE the 5 foot tall goalie in the shootout. "yeah lets play right into his only freaking advantage: quickness down low"I agree with the above poster on linesmen who take forever to drop the puck. We didn't come to watch you do a triple reverse fake backwards bounce drop on the faceoff.5 on 3 powerplays when the team passes the puck around for over a minute before taking a shot.Sean Avery.Rookies, or very young players giving a facewash to a veteran after the play. Disrespectful. Marty Havlat used to be notorious for this.Someone who is wearing a full cage due to facial injury being a little twat in the corners, and getting in people's faces and stuff. Also, getting into a fight wearing a visor and not taking your helmet off.shootouts in generalThe current NHL Schedule. The top 3 playoff seeding system.Flames fans.The hockey gods mercilessly toying with my emotions this past weekend. (I'm a leafs fan)Pretty much every time tim thomas or Dominik Hasek make a save. Look, I understand doing whatever it takes to get your body in front of the puck, but sometimes these guys just needlessly end up sparawled on their back when a simple push off and slide would have done fine.
I agree with the above poster on linesmen who take forever to drop the puck. We didn't come to watch you do a triple reverse fake backwards bounce drop on the faceoff. EXCEPT for linesmen who make sure one player doesn't get an advantage, and will take all the time in the world to make sure both players are properly set: doesn't excuse the guy who fake drops so he can throw someone out.getting into a fight wearing a visor and not taking your helmet off.Because you should give your opponent a fair an equal opportunity to end your career.

In response to the Avery reference by Dubey:Ref's calling penalties on Avery on reputation and the opponent's embellishment instead of making a call on what they see. :club: Truest statement in hockey. The only fan's that love Avery is the fan's of the team he is on. :D

Joe Bowen. I have the misfortune to sit directly underneath him during games, and let me tell you.... he does leaf fans a huge disservice because we spend a LOT of time during games HOWLING at his incredibly one-sided description of play. I have no problem with a team announcer being slanted towards his team, but when the guy actually misinforms the listeners as to what's going on. I remember a game or two ago, Hal Gill absolutely leveled a guy into Raycroft with a huge cross check and Joe Bowen says, "OH, THE PITTSBURGH FORWARD BARRELS INTO RAYCROFT, NO CALL. HO-LEE MACKINAW, HOW CAN THEY NOT CALL THAT". Yikes....

Joe Bowen. I have the misfortune to sit directly underneath him during games, and let me tell you.... he does leaf fans a huge disservice because we spend a LOT of time during games HOWLING at his incredibly one-sided description of play. I have no problem with a team announcer being slanted towards his team, but when the guy actually misinforms the listeners as to what's going on. I remember a game or two ago, Hal Gill absolutely leveled a guy into Raycroft with a huge cross check and Joe Bowen says, "OH, THE PITTSBURGH FORWARD BARRELS INTO RAYCROFT, NO CALL. HO-LEE MACKINAW, HOW CAN THEY NOT CALL THAT". Yikes....
I agree. He is the worst. This will be confirmed when Serge comes in here proclaiming Bowen one of the best.

Players (and coaches) who complain about getting a penalty at a crucial point of the game for 'just a little tug' or an 'I BARELY touched him with my stick' type plays. If the game is on the line, shouldn't the onus be on the PLAYER to NOT make a stupid little tug that could cost his team the game????

When Sportscenter or Sportsnet Connected show highlights of great goals or saves only in slow motion. Part of the appeal of a lot of the plays is how they are done at such a high speed, you need to see them in real time to appreciate them. As an example, Roboto Luongo's save on Saturday against the Sharks looks good in slow motion, but it looks insane in real time. Context of a play matters.I have about 100 more, but most of them have to do with east vs west coverage, and I don't want to seem like a whiner.

Does it bother anyone else when the TV announcers talk over the anouncement of a goal and then don't tell you the scoring play?

Does it bother anyone else when the TV announcers talk over the anouncement of a goal and then don't tell you the scoring play?
Yeah I agree, it's a pain when you're trying to find out who is credited with the assist(s) and they're jawing about something irrelevant.