• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 DB10-2

DB10-2

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:25 AM

i'm ok with the smaller-than-standard preflop raise in general, but when your stack is this low relative to blinds, let's be a bit more serious. that said, here's the thing about your play: when you do make a wishy-washy raise like that, you're basically hoping for a hand like AQ or AJ to miss the A and/or make TPTK with the Q or J with no draws. think about how rare that is. so, you have to be ready to lay your hand down and not think twice when you encounter resistance on the flop or turn and/or these easy situations don't present themselves. here, your kings were either already drawing dead or you were bluffed successfully. time to jam (and probably lose), or next time, on a stack of around 1300, maybe the baby raise isn't as appropriate in this spot.

#42 Zach6668

Zach6668

FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,076 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:57 AM

Hey Gabe,I know I've mentioned this to you before, but I'd just like to ask that in the future you please convert your hands using the link I will provide below. It simply transforms the raw HH into a more readable format, so it's a little bit easier on the eyes of those who read the forum.Links:http://www.neildewhu...hand-converter/orhttp://poker-tools.f...d-Converter.phpThanks.- Zach
QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#43 Socrates

Socrates

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:04 AM

View Postpokerkid, on Tuesday, February 13th, 2007, 11:13 AM, said:

HAHAHA. NO.In general, live play is much worse than online play. The WSOP ME has some of the worst play imaginable. Granted in the WPT 10K events the play is better because of the bigger buy-in. But when comparing the same levels, live play is much worse than online play.At this stage, 3-4x BB raise is correct. However, when it gets late in a tournament, and 2.5x raises are 20% of the avg. stacks chips, 2.5x BB raises are golden. If someone is trapping you or pushes on you, you lose less, but the 2.5x raise still has enough fold equity. Against a decent player who thinks about bet sizes and such, it also doesn't look like a steal as much as a 4x raise does.
Why not just limp it in this situation then? Your logic isn't really making sense for this play in this particular situation. With his M so low, he can't afford not to call a pf push and if he were going to get that, he's going to get a caller with a bigger pf raise as well. At least here he would have some idea as to where he stood in the hand. WHile I understand the new online player who only wants to play big pots, the thing I find is they're soft pf and push hard when they hit an hope to double up, not win smaller pots to accumulate. Their downside is they can never get off AA or KK when hands like this happen.

#44 Omaha Hi/Lo

Omaha Hi/Lo

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE, PLO, Stud, Stud8, O8, NL2-7...

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:14 PM

I like the way you played the whole hand. I would have done the same on every street. (Muck the turn)I like the 2.5xBB raise in this spot, you're one of the shorter stacks and making it 200 to go would probably just win you the 75 in blinds. That's a waste of a HUGE hand that you may not see for the rest of the tournament. I don't want to get into the whole DN at Foxwoods argument again, but wasting BIG pairs when it's short handed is just stupid. You don't get them often, so when you do get them you should try to maximize your wins (and that doesn't include trying to minimize your loses by "protecting your hand", if you think negativly you will play the hand poorly). I'm not saying limp in and check every street to let someone catch up enough to beat you, but you don't need to throw a rock into the lake when you're just about to hook a big mouth bass...

#45 pokerkid

pokerkid

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:26 PM

View PostSocrates, on Tuesday, February 13th, 2007, 11:04 AM, said:

Why not just limp it in this situation then? Your logic isn't really making sense for this play in this particular situation. With his M so low, he can't afford not to call a pf push and if he were going to get that, he's going to get a caller with a bigger pf raise as well. At least here he would have some idea as to where he stood in the hand. WHile I understand the new online player who only wants to play big pots, the thing I find is they're soft pf and push hard when they hit an hope to double up, not win smaller pots to accumulate. Their downside is they can never get off AA or KK when hands like this happen.
What?Why not limp in which situation?
PM me for Rakeback on BODOG!

#46 GABMAD

GABMAD

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:poker (obviously), mountain biking, baseball
  • Favorite Poker Game:HU/short-handed, NL Hold'em

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:28 PM

I'm still wondering what you guys put the villain on. His play doesn't add up. It's a very unorthodox play. What's his range guys?

#47 GABMAD

GABMAD

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:poker (obviously), mountain biking, baseball
  • Favorite Poker Game:HU/short-handed, NL Hold'em

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:32 PM

View Postcubbybri, on Tuesday, February 13th, 2007, 3:07 PM, said:

I think the flop bet too much as well, BUT if you are some who consistently bets half the pot I guess it's not as bad a play. I rarely think there is a reason to make a pot bet so that is my reason for disliking. If you always make the pot bets I guess it will keep them guessing.In any case, Copernicus is right, you are beat or villain is a dingle nut.
Villain is a 'dingle nut'. He has an ROI of -19%. Shouldn't that affect our decision?

#48 Jordan

Jordan

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 9,032 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:35 PM

lol @ people getting upset over the 2.5xbb raise.lol cantplaypostflopaments- Jordan

#49 irishguy

irishguy

Your weakness is disgusting to me.

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:35 PM

View PostGABMAD, on Tuesday, February 13th, 2007, 2:28 PM, said:

I'm still wondering what you guys put the villain on. His play doesn't add up. It's a very unorthodox play. What's his range guys?
You already had him putting you AQ so what did you put him on? I think since you put him on putting you on a hand like AQ you've gotta feel like he has at least two pair here. I think A9 is a solid choice, or any other A with his kicker hitting the board. I don't mind your preflop bet at all but against this board there is so much that has you beat that would call you pre flop ie: Suited connectors, gappers 9-7 etc.
gmanshade owes me $500: Since July 6th, 2009 and counting.....

#50 benhoug

benhoug

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,048 posts
  • Interests:Cards, Dogs, Movies, Baseball.
  • Favorite Poker Game:Pot-Limit Omaha

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:37 PM

View PostMoTownJ5, on Monday, February 12th, 2007, 5:46 PM, said:

Possibly the easiest fold ever?
Yes. Without a doubt, this is the easiest fold ever.

#51 ChrisRichey

ChrisRichey

Untitled

• Members
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:46 PM

View PostGABMAD, on Tuesday, February 13th, 2007, 2:32 PM, said:

Villain is a 'dingle nut'. He has an ROI of -19%. Shouldn't that affect our decision?
Not on this board. What hand can you put villain on here that you are ahead of?

#52 Abbaddabba

Abbaddabba

breaking even like it's 1999

• Members
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:52 PM

Think about it. If you're villain you have to put me on a hand like AQ imo.
He could have a lot of things, and most of them beat you given the information you have.But obviously you were right, or you wouldnt have posted it.

#53 cubbybri

cubbybri

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Hockey Football, Reading, Movies
  • Favorite Poker Game:Limit Hold'Em

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:11 PM

View PostGABMAD, on Wednesday, February 14th, 2007, 3:32 AM, said:

Maybe a bit but most 'dingle nuts', like their aces so I still don't like my chances in this particular situation.

#54 CoranMoran

CoranMoran

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,480 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Short Handed Limit Ring; No-Limit Tournies

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:18 PM

Routine fold here.--cm

#55 XX44466XX

XX44466XX

I RUFF POKAH!

• Members
  • 3,598 posts
  • Interests:Poker &amp; Boobies &amp; Ninjewtsu
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL HE

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:37 PM

Please post in Strat so Zach can properly criticize you.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

I think Oscar Wilde was talking about poker.

It's All Fours And Sixes

#56 Merby

Merby

Poker Forum Happy-Face

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Interests:Ummm... Poker (no surprise there...)<br /><br />Hiking, Climbing, Skiing, Kayaking, Curling, ...
  • Favorite Poker Game:Short-handed PLO, NLHE MTTs

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:51 PM

I haven't read anything other than the title.The answer is NO.What was the question?
QUOTE (Fluffdog87 @ Tuesday, January 27th, 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dramatic hand gestures on all-ins ftw!

A day in the life of Checkymcfold:
QUOTE (checkymcfold @ Friday, January 9th, 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My cats are freaked out, I have a headache, and I'm probably going to put on pants for the first time in three days and find somewhere to go that's not here.

QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[x] Signature-worthy.

#57 sixhands

sixhands

Forum Conscience and Pedagogical Inspirator

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Sports, Video games

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:17 PM

View PostMerby, on Tuesday, February 13th, 2007, 4:51 PM, said:

I haven't read anything other than the title.The answer is NO.What was the question?
nice answer Merby, how's the Rock?
seven

ANCORA IMPARO

#58 SpiderGuard

SpiderGuard

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:47 PM

View PostGABMAD, on Monday, February 12th, 2007, 8:24 PM, said:

Ya. And you've seen me play? Or you automatically assume everyone is a donkey? How about you look up ppl on sharkscope before calling them donks? Or are stats overrated and you need a title before you can be considred good? So that means, because I'm 18 I have no way of being considered good as I'm not old enough to play live. Geez....some people are so ignorant
So you're saying that you are as good as DN? Because all the OP said was "You're not as good as DN post-flop." There's plenty of room between DN and donk status. You're not beating anything on a fairly coordinated board. I think it's a fairly easy fold.

#59 XX44466XX

XX44466XX

I RUFF POKAH!

• Members
  • 3,598 posts
  • Interests:Poker &amp; Boobies &amp; Ninjewtsu
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL HE

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:50 PM

View PostSpiderGuard, on Tuesday, February 13th, 2007, 8:47 PM, said:

So you're saying that you are as good as DN? Because all the OP said was "You're not as good as DN post-flop." There's plenty of room between DN and donk status. You're not beating anything on a fairly coordinated board. I think it's a fairly easy fold.
He got us all to reply to his post, didn't he?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

I think Oscar Wilde was talking about poker.

It's All Fours And Sixes

#60 ChuckSty

ChuckSty

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,818 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

personally i think kk is good here. good chance at least.
http://www.brainflips.com/

The Worlds Smartest Flashcards!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users