• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 DanielNegreanu

DanielNegreanu

Poker Forum Veteran

• Root Admin
  • 8,281 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

This question has been around for a while and I've heard both sides of the argument several times. A case could be made for folding if you are at a table that is easy to run over and double your chips safely. Well, with the presence of Ivey and Hansen, you can forget the easy double up, lol. If you think of it in these terms it will help: About 6 out of 10 WSOP's you'll start with 20,000 in chips. That should increase your equity enough to override the fact that 4 times out of 10 you'll be walking back to Houston. In order to win the WSOP you pretty much have to put yourself in several positive equity positions and hope that you come out ahead. Making mathematical errors where you continuously fold while getting the best of it will catch up with you in the long run. I would say that a 60% favorite is too good to pass up, while something like a 55% favorite is something you could argue is a fold you could make. Again, that's provided that you are at a weak table.
Posted Image

#2 Acid_Knight

Acid_Knight

I'm what's left. I'm what's right.

• Members
  • 9,292 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:You vs Me. Cagematch.

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:31 AM

View PostDanielNegreanu, on Tuesday, October 17th, 2006, 10:49 PM, said:

About 6 out of 10 WSOP's you'll start with 20,000 in chips. That should increase your equity enough to override the fact that 4 times out of 10 you'll be walking back to Houston.
It's even more +EV when you live 5 miles from the Rio! That way, those 4 times don't seem as bad on the long ride home.

#3 shpaget

shpaget

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,603 posts
  • Interests:beer

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:46 AM

View PostAcid_Knight, on Wednesday, October 18th, 2006, 6:31 AM, said:

It's even more +EV when you live 5 miles from the Rio! That way, those 4 times don't seem as bad on the long ride home.
I came to Vegas in a $70000 Mercedes.I left in a half-million dollar Greyhound.
"Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

#4 Acid_Knight

Acid_Knight

• Members
  • 9,292 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:15 AM

View Postshpaget, on Wednesday, October 18th, 2006, 7:46 AM, said:

MAN, you must be awesome at poker! :club:

#5 Gunnarr

Gunnarr

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:nlhe

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:03 PM

I find it interesting that 60 percent of those who answered would call as well as the percent to win being 60ish percent.Gunn

#6 yergan

yergan

Advance Australia Fair

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:45 PM

View PostGunnarr, on Thursday, October 19th, 2006, 9:33 AM, said:

I find it interesting that 60 percent of those who answered would call as well as the percent to win being 60ish percent.Gunn
You stole my line!!!

#7 DrZebra

DrZebra

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:58 PM

View PostGunnarr, on Wednesday, October 18th, 2006, 5:03 PM, said:

maybe everybody did what i did:dealt out 5 cards and voted based on that...
"...the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."-J.M.Keynes

#8 Acid_Knight

Acid_Knight

• Members
  • 9,292 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:30 PM

View PostDrZebra, on Friday, October 20th, 2006, 1:58 PM, said:

maybe everybody did what i did:dealt out 5 cards and voted based on that...
Interesting tactic. I wonder if they let you do that at the series, ya know, before you call. Just run it out and see if you really should call. It'll reduce your variance.

#9 JaxxVain

JaxxVain

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:12 AM

Daniel,I might fold based on the fact that Ivey and Hansen are at the table.I would not want to be a target.Wouldn't you want to be in every pot against some crazy player who called all-in on the first hand with AK (an unmade hand)I am not sure I would want Phil and Gus going after me in that respect.
- JaxxVain

#10 shpaget

shpaget

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:26 AM

View PostJaxxVain, on Tuesday, October 24th, 2006, 10:12 AM, said:

Daniel,I might fold based on the fact that Ivey and Hansen are at the table.I would not want to be a target.Wouldn't you want to be in every pot against some crazy player who called all-in on the first hand with AK (an unmade hand)I am not sure I would want Phil and Gus going after me in that respect.
I would LOVE for a player like Ivey or Hansen to THINK I'm a maniac because I called an allin with AK - they don't need to know that I called because I knew I was ahead 60-40....if they have a false perception about my play, and they want to attack me with stacks half the size as mine, I'd be the happiest man on Earth.

#11 Swift_Psycho

Swift_Psycho

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:17 AM

View PostJaxxVain, on Tuesday, October 24th, 2006, 1:12 PM, said:

Like shpaget, I am confused with your reasoning. Are you an actual crazy maniac at the table? If not, then your reasoning makes no sense.

#12 Turbonegro

Turbonegro

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Gambling, Sports..
  • Favorite Poker Game:No Limit Hold Em

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:00 PM

View Postshpaget, on Wednesday, October 18th, 2006, 9:46 AM, said:

I'd Like to play you heads up...I would call in this position..im here to gamble and win some money..gotta put you cant win what you dont put in the middle..

#13 goferdug

goferdug

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:nolimit holdem

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:37 PM

simple simon, what would gus or phil do?GUARANTEE CALL!!!!

#14 MikevJames

MikevJames

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL Texas Hold'em

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

Honestly, isn't a fold the best option?Sure, you're a 60/40 favourite, but think of it in tersm of the long run.A) You could tell the person "hey, I'm folding AK," and he may use that to be very aggresive agaisnt you, and honestly, I'd love for that to happen, because it's a perfect set-up for the future.B) You have pretty close to nothing invested on calling a huge raise. Regardless, why gamble on something your barely losing anything on?C) "Big Slick" is often over rated. Sure, it is a huge hand, but its also a huge hand thats consistantly overplayed.Personally, I see it easier to fold.
|- Learn, to know your limits. -|

#15 Swift_Psycho

Swift_Psycho

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 04:16 PM

View PostMikevJames, on Sunday, November 19th, 2006, 6:14 PM, said:

Honestly, isn't a fold the best option?Sure, you're a 60/40 favourite, but think of it in tersm of the long run.A) You could tell the person "hey, I'm folding AK," and he may use that to be very aggresive agaisnt you, and honestly, I'd love for that to happen, because it's a perfect set-up for the future.B) You have pretty close to nothing invested on calling a huge raise. Regardless, why gamble on something your barely losing anything on?C) "Big Slick" is often over rated. Sure, it is a huge hand, but its also a huge hand thats consistantly overplayed.Personally, I see it easier to fold.
So you admit to not paying attention to all the reasons why your argument sucks?

#16 Acid_Knight

Acid_Knight

• Members
  • 9,292 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:10 AM

View PostMikevJames, on Sunday, November 19th, 2006, 3:14 PM, said:

Yeah, consistently calling bets when you're a solid favorite is bad business. *cough* sarcasm *cough*You can't overplay a hand by calling when you're ahead.

#17 shpaget

shpaget

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:35 AM

View PostMikevJames, on Sunday, November 19th, 2006, 4:14 PM, said:

I am thinking the long run.If you play this hand ten times, your profit is 20000 chips.100 times, 200000 chips.1000 times, 2000000 chips.See? It's called math.A. yeah, perfect...he now knows you're weak, and will raise with a wider variety of hands...and you, being weak, will fold most of the time...but will happily wait for him to raise 200 times before you get your AA.B. By this logic you should fold AA for the same reason...that's intelligentC. How do you overplay a hand where you're a 60/40 favourite with no more action?

#18 simo_8ball

simo_8ball

Multipass

• Members
  • 9,277 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO/NLHE

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:43 AM

View Postshpaget, on Monday, November 20th, 2006, 5:35 PM, said:

C. How do you overplay a hand where you're a 60/40 favourite with no more action?
Remember, AK is just a drawing hand. Why get allin on a draw this early?

#19 shpaget

shpaget

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:22 AM

View Postsimo_8ball, on Monday, November 20th, 2006, 10:43 AM, said:

Remember, AK is just a drawing hand. Why get allin on a draw this early?
Of course...I keep forgetting that AK isn't a made hand...even against QJ.

#20 simo_8ball

simo_8ball

Multipass

• Members
  • 9,277 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO/NLHE

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:25 AM

View Postshpaget, on Monday, November 20th, 2006, 6:22 PM, said:

Of course...I keep forgetting that AK isn't a made hand...even against QJ.
Now you're getting it. See if this was 22, you'd be fine calling. 22 is a pair, and therefore a made hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users