• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,639 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:37 PM

So I should start this off by saying I hate metallica. Not a little, a whole fuking lot. I don't hate them because they sue their fans. I don't hate them because they've "sold out". I'm not one of these guys that loves old metallica with the orignal bassest, but hates the black album onward. I hate their whole body of work, from start to finish. I'm not anti-metal, but I'm not really a big metal fan either. My roomate is a huge metal fan ( and metal snob) and I like some of the stuff he's exposed me to like Testament, Death and King Diamond emmensely. I have soft spots for bands like Preist and Madien, and think some slayer is legitmately legaendary. But metalica has always blown. THere might have been a short time when they really were a "heavy" band, early on, before there was much like it. But it's so mediorce compared with some stuff that went out at the time, and particularly stuff that came after it. I think they are just about the most overrated band of all time ( except maybe for the Eagles and Aerosmyth).That being said, Some kind of Monster is absolutely fancinating. Watching the drama of the band unfold, the possible break up when Hetfield is in rehab, the vulernablity and stupidity of James, the absurdity incarnate that is Lars ( just about every single thing he says in the movie is hilarious in Unintentional comedy sort of way). My favorite parts are when they are meeting with their psycologist/ success coach Dr. Phil ( not the one from TV). This conman/douchebag/psychologist prior to metaliica was brought into like dysfunctional sports teams, meeting with people, getting them to talk out their problems and what not. Watching him weasel his way into metalicca's life, latching onto them and becoming like mental health guru to james is so bizarre. The whole time i was thinking maybe I should get my psyche doctorate so I can con rich morons into hiring me and thinking they need my services. THe movie just has so many pricelss gems in it, and is bizarrely endearing in a certain way, and obnoxious as hell in other ways. And watching the band write retarded songs and lyrics is just too good for word. If you've ever wondered how a bloated, spoiled by their own success, 20 years past relavancy rock band makes a bad album, this film answers that question for you. (Where were these guys when U2 was making "all that I left behind?")And this film pretty much confirms what I've always suspected, that Lars Ulrich is the biggest doucche in the history of popular music.
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#2 dna4ever

dna4ever

The Parochial Chicken

• Members
  • 33,614 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:HORSE

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:45 PM

now tell us what you really think ........

#3 SBriand

SBriand

Viva La Beaver!

• Members
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:08 PM

I like Metallica. It's all subjective. I hate Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I think they are peices of overrated cow dung. Slayer is a great band. Testament too, don't see many people say anything about them. Saw them in concert like...geez...18 year ago or something. That's all I have to say really.Carry on.
QUOTE (digitalmonkey @ Wednesday, August 18th, 2010, 1:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve,

It doesn't matter who you start because you have a horse shoe up your ass so far I'm not really sure how you get through the day. You must be gay.

#4 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,639 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:11 PM

View PostSBriand, on Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 2:08 PM, said:

I like Metallica. It's all subjective. I hate Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I think they are peices of overrated cow dung. Slayer is a great band. Testament too, don't see many people say anything about them. Saw them in concert like...geez...18 year ago or something. That's all I have to say really.Carry on.
Oh yeah, I mean priest and madien are cow dung, but they are funny cow dung. Metalica isn't funny ( except maybe enter sandman). Mostly they make my *** twitch. I am biter about this movie due to the fact that "frantic" has been in my head for two straight days.
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#5 SBriand

SBriand

Viva La Beaver!

• Members
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:12 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 5:11 PM, said:

Oh yeah, I mean priest and madien are cow dung, but they are funny cow dung. Metalica isn't funny ( except maybe enter sandman). Mostly they make my *** twitch. I am biter about this movie due to the fact that "frantic" has been in my head for two straight days.
Yeah, I had the same problem too after watching it. I hate their last album. I need a nap.
QUOTE (digitalmonkey @ Wednesday, August 18th, 2010, 1:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve,

It doesn't matter who you start because you have a horse shoe up your ass so far I'm not really sure how you get through the day. You must be gay.

#6 CardWarfare

CardWarfare

Viva La Clarkson

• Members
  • 13,013 posts
  • Interests:Boobs, Butts, Beer.
  • Favorite Poker Game:Pooping

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:22 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 5:11 PM, said:

"frantic" has been in my head for two straight days.
FRANTIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TOCK!!

#7 Dirtydutch

Dirtydutch

'Skatez

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

I was so into Metallica in like 9th grade that it's hard for me to give them any kind of real evaluation. I listen to them maybe twice a year.My musical taste has really changed in the last few weeks, though.And the worst band ever is U2. It's not close.

#8 nopunk

nopunk

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:48 PM

I agree entirely with everything you wrote about that movie.The entire band, espcially Lars, could not have come of any worse.That being said, I like Metallica.I just have to pretend that that movie and their last CD didn't happen.Also, once I saw a Metallica shirt that also had Spongebob on it.I'm pretending that didn't happen also.

#9 Dirtydutch

Dirtydutch

'Skatez

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:50 PM

View Postnopunk, on Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 1:48 PM, said:

I agree entirely with everything you wrote about that movie.The entire band, espcially Lars, could not have come of any worse.That being said, I like Metallica.I just have to pretend that that movie and their last CD didn't happen.Also, once I saw a Metallica shirt that also had Spongebob on it.I'm pretending that didn't happen also.

#10 nopunk

nopunk

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:06 PM

View PostDirtydutch, on Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 4:50 PM, said:

Not a joke.Posted ImageI rest my case.

#11 Dirtydutch

Dirtydutch

'Skatez

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:08 PM

Oh my God. I think I'm going to delete RTL right now.

#12 nopunk

nopunk

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:21 PM

View PostDirtydutch, on Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 5:08 PM, said:

Oh my God. I think I'm going to delete RTL right now.
Its almost reflexive, really.In any case, I'm sorry I had to be the one to do it to you.Maybe you were better off not knowing.

#13 rsmbox

rsmbox

E-Lame

• Members
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:24 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 3:37 PM, said:

So I should start this off by saying I hate metallica. Not a little, a whole fuking lot. I don't hate them because they sue their fans. I don't hate them because they've "sold out". I'm not one of these guys that loves old metallica with the orignal bassest, but hates the black album onward. I hate their whole body of work, from start to finish.
i have no reason to read any further...this is already the single greatest thread ever created
When you lose over and over again, it just becomes natural.

#14 Ktiger48

Ktiger48

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Politics, Poker

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:16 PM

View PostDirtydutch, on Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 1:38 PM, said:

I was so into Metallica in like 9th grade that it's hard for me to give them any kind of real evaluation. I listen to them maybe twice a year.My musical taste has really changed in the last few weeks, though.And the worst band ever is U2. It's not close.
word

#15 zsta2k6

zsta2k6

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:25 PM

View Postnopunk, on Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 6:06 PM, said:

Not a joke.Posted ImageI rest my case.
Posted Imageholy sellout batman!

#16 Filesharer

Filesharer

The Byslexic

• Members
  • 1,603 posts
  • Interests:film, sport

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:26 PM

View PostKtiger48, on Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 4:16 PM, said:

word
Yeah right. If they only formed ten years ago you may have a point, but c'mon. So many great songs.
Looks like i picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

#17 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

Unenjoyable Annoying Retard

• Members
  • 37,643 posts
  • Interests:sports, music, movies, photography
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hi/Lo Chicago

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:26 PM

I have this movie but have yet to watch it. I'm not a Metallica fan, but I thought it looked fascinating and hoped it would support my opinion that Lars Ullrich is a festering vagina.
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

#18 tallytownFSU

tallytownFSU

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:34 PM

As a Metallica fan, I decided to respond to this immediately. Now, in the general sense of the word you, I am all for people who want to hate Metallica. They might not be the greatest metal band of all time. They might even be overrated. They might suck big donkey ****. If that's what you (again, in the general sense of the word) feel, then more power to you. Rock on. To each his own, right? Freedom of speech, all that nonsense. However, if you (the illiterate dipshit who posted this) want to exercise the right to freedom of speech, it's really quite vital to know what the **** you are doing, you pimple on the face of human society. What the **** is wrong with you? Have you ever heard of the shift key? Or maybe even something called a dictionary? Did you even make it PAST grammar school? If you managed to somehow graduate from high school, then I am shocked and appalled at our education system, because this has got to be the worst example of spelling and grammar I have ever read, INCLUDING the homework assignments I've seen eight year olds do. I am surprised you don't move backwards, you are THAT dumb. And because you are THAT dumb, anything you might have said worth reading in this is totally shot to hell and has lost ALL credibility. If you want something you type or say to be considered important or worth reading, then go back to school, pay attention to all of your grammar lessons, and THEN use the internet. God, people like you who actually have the balls to type their thought processes out and post it onto the internet for smart people to read make me want to vomit. It's people like you who are RUINING this country. People like YOU are the reason why George W. is the ****ing President! Do us all a favor and keep your mouth shut, your hands AWAY from your keyboard and do something useful with your time: go shove a screwdriver in your eye and turn it 360 degrees clockwise.
*drags a pot*

"Figjam baby, figjam."

"Hey JJ, whats Figjam mean?"

"Fcuk I'm good, just ask me...."

#19 RodReynolds

RodReynolds

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 763 posts
  • Interests:SPF 15 sunblock

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:58 PM

View PosttallytownFSU, on Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 9:34 PM, said:

As a Metallica fan, I decided to respond to this immediately. Now, in the general sense of the word you, I am all for people who want to hate Metallica. They might not be the greatest metal band of all time. They might even be overrated. They might suck big donkey ****. If that's what you (again, in the general sense of the word) feel, then more power to you. Rock on. To each his own, right? Freedom of speech, all that nonsense. However, if you (the illiterate dipshit who posted this) want to exercise the right to freedom of speech, it's really quite vital to know what the **** you are doing, you pimple on the face of human society. What the **** is wrong with you? Have you ever heard of the shift key? Or maybe even something called a dictionary? Did you even make it PAST grammar school? If you managed to somehow graduate from high school, then I am shocked and appalled at our education system, because this has got to be the worst example of spelling and grammar I have ever read, INCLUDING the homework assignments I've seen eight year olds do. I am surprised you don't move backwards, you are THAT dumb. And because you are THAT dumb, anything you might have said worth reading in this is totally shot to hell and has lost ALL credibility. If you want something you type or say to be considered important or worth reading, then go back to school, pay attention to all of your grammar lessons, and THEN use the internet. God, people like you who actually have the balls to type their thought processes out and post it onto the internet for smart people to read make me want to vomit. It's people like you who are RUINING this country. People like YOU are the reason why George W. is the ****ing President! Do us all a favor and keep your mouth shut, your hands AWAY from your keyboard and do something useful with your time: go shove a screwdriver in your eye and turn it 360 degrees clockwise.
Yeah, BigD struggles with the grammar and spellingAnd you're right. BigD is the reason Bush is president. You've drawn a correct conclusion.You are good at ranting though

#20 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

Unenjoyable Annoying Retard

• Members
  • 37,643 posts
  • Interests:sports, music, movies, photography
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hi/Lo Chicago

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:05 PM

View PosttallytownFSU, on Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, 9:34 PM, said:

I can't help but wonder if you mean clockwise from his persective as he turns the screwdriver or clockwise from the perspective of someone watching him turn the screwdriver. [shift]?
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users