Jump to content


Mindsets/warm Ups


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 mikeysong

mikeysong

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:35 PM

Hey everyone,I don't know how many people have this problem but for me, it takes me some time to be mentally prepared before I start playing cards. Some issues that happen before I play are:fear/insecurity of losing more moneylack of focusand the biggest one:hyperaggressiveness - is that a real word?If you read my blog, by now you should realize that I'm a pretty animated person the majority of the time. I believe this characteristic hurts me when I play 3/6 max because when I get into it and start having a lot of fun, my main goal becomes to make people fold their hands yet somehow play big pots with me when I have big hands. Rather, the goal should be to extract maximum value from each hand. But it's so fun to hit Bet! Raise! I'm getting excited again :D I play a lot of video games, WarCraft III and Counter-Strike, and I've always been the attacker/first to kill the enemy in each game. Can you see where this aggressiveness comes from? I hope some of you have some methods that you guys do to calm yourself down and think clearly before playing. Mmm...I don't think I would partake in meditation or yoga though, too boring :club:

#2 Canuckickstan

Canuckickstan

    Hugh Jorgen

  • Members
  • 5,167 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Calgary, Ab.
  • Interests:Playing the Drums and riding my Bike
  • Favorite Poker Game:Skipaments !!

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:37 PM

I like to go downstairs and beat the crap out of my drums. Really clears the mind !!
RonnieMexico23 (10:37:47 PM): call me fat agian
RonnieMexico23 (10:37:53 PM): it makes me rock hard

#3 loopie

loopie

    Poker Forum Regular

  • Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:48 PM

hmmm....porn and an impromptu trip to the bathroom is an obvious answer......how bout playing basketball, tennis, or any sport you want for couple of hours. take a nice hot shower or bath. have a good meal. then set down at the computer, casino, or home game and tear it up.

#4 Zach6668

Zach6668

    2009 Stanley Cup Champions

  • Moderators
  • 42,562 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, ON

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:55 PM

When I first get on my computer and plan on playing, I usually spend a little bit, like maybe 30 minutes reading/replying to strat posts in here. Seems to get me focused most of the time.- Zach
QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#5 Actuary

Actuary

    .

  • Members
  • 19,026 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:08 PM

I play on Party.

#6 trystero

trystero

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:35 PM

View PostActuary, on Thursday, August 24th, 2006, 5:08 AM, said:

I play on Party.
:club:

#7 sdnuol

sdnuol

    I AM BANNED

  • Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Location:Grand Blanc, MI

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:50 PM

i usually end up playing when i get home from working out. which means steam room, hot tub, etc before playing. that gets me nice and relaxed, ready to take some beats.
I got banned for being an asshole

#8 mikeysong

mikeysong

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:19 PM

View Postsdnuol, on Wednesday, August 23rd, 2006, 10:50 PM, said:

i usually end up playing when i get home from working out. which means steam room, hot tub, etc before playing. that gets me nice and relaxed, ready to take some beats.
i like that one :)and zach, ya, I think reading through the strat forums should be helpful to get me in the right mindset. Ty.

#9 Zach6668

Zach6668

    2009 Stanley Cup Champions

  • Moderators
  • 42,562 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, ON

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:39 PM

View Postmikeysong, on Thursday, August 24th, 2006, 3:19 AM, said:

i like that one :)and zach, ya, I think reading through the strat forums should be helpful to get me in the right mindset. Ty.
I don't really do it on purpose, it just seems to be what I do first when I turn on the computer, lol.
QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#10 Jordan

Jordan

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 9,032 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:20 AM

Just tell yourself to try your best to make good decisions and forget about the money.- Jordan

#11 throwemaway

throwemaway

    Finally a big kid now!

  • Members
  • 2,037 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Normal, IL
  • Interests:Poker, booze, reading, and sports

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:09 AM

View Postmikeysong, on Wednesday, August 23rd, 2006, 6:35 PM, said:

Hey everyone,I don't know how many people have this problem but for me, it takes me some time to be mentally prepared before I start playing cards. Some issues that happen before I play are:fear/insecurity of losing more moneylack of focusand the biggest one:hyperaggressiveness - is that a real word?If you read my blog, by now you should realize that I'm a pretty animated person the majority of the time. I believe this characteristic hurts me when I play 3/6 max because when I get into it and start having a lot of fun, my main goal becomes to make people fold their hands yet somehow play big pots with me when I have big hands. Rather, the goal should be to extract maximum value from each hand. But it's so fun to hit Bet! Raise! I'm getting excited again :D I play a lot of video games, WarCraft III and Counter-Strike, and I've always been the attacker/first to kill the enemy in each game. Can you see where this aggressiveness comes from? I hope some of you have some methods that you guys do to calm yourself down and think clearly before playing. Mmm...I don't think I would partake in meditation or yoga though, too boring :club:
When I'm running poorly or just don't feel like I'm in the mindframe to play, I usually watch Sportscenter, Entourage, or a movie to calm myself down..Helps me to take my mind off poker for a bit and focus on something else, then get refocused when Im done
|
First blog. I don't really know why you would want to read it but if you do, go ahead..New update! Will update in Feb in light of 4.40 challenge!
http://blogs.texasholdem.com/Throwemaway/index.php

#12 sdnuol

sdnuol

    I AM BANNED

  • Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Location:Grand Blanc, MI

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:46 AM

View Postthrowemaway, on Thursday, August 24th, 2006, 10:09 AM, said:

When I'm running poorly or just don't feel like I'm in the mindframe to play, I usually watch Sportscenter, Entourage, or a movie to calm myself down..Helps me to take my mind off poker for a bit and focus on something else, then get refocused when Im done
i do the exact same after i take a beat or just suck and lose. ill just go watch a movie and eat ben and jerrys.
I got banned for being an asshole

#13 mikeysong

mikeysong

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:16 AM

View Postsdnuol, on Thursday, August 24th, 2006, 9:46 AM, said:

ill just go watch a movie and eat ben and jerrys.
grrrrrrrrrreattttI could gain so much weight doing that @_@

#14 throwemaway

throwemaway

    Finally a big kid now!

  • Members
  • 2,037 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Normal, IL
  • Interests:Poker, booze, reading, and sports

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:22 AM

View Postmikeysong, on Thursday, August 24th, 2006, 9:16 AM, said:

grrrrrrrrrreattttI could gain so much weight doing that @_@
But at least you will save yourself some moneyI'd rather be fat and rich then poor and in shape... lol
|
First blog. I don't really know why you would want to read it but if you do, go ahead..New update! Will update in Feb in light of 4.40 challenge!
http://blogs.texasholdem.com/Throwemaway/index.php

#15 Actuary

Actuary

    .

  • Members
  • 19,026 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:25 AM

View Postthrowemaway, on Thursday, August 24th, 2006, 10:22 AM, said:

But at least you will save yourself some moneyI'd rather be fat and rich then poor and in shape... lol
well, I guess I should stop feeling so crappy about being fat then.

#16 mtdesmoines

mtdesmoines

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 9,978 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:06 AM

View Postloopie, on Wednesday, August 23rd, 2006, 6:48 PM, said:

hmmm....porn and an impromptu trip to the bathroom is an obvious answer......how bout playing basketball, tennis, or any sport you want for couple of hours. take a nice hot shower or bath. have a good meal. then set down at the computer, casino, or home game and tear it up.
Really now ... can any trip the bathroom after viewing porn be considered "impromptu?
Somewhere Jimmy Carter is smiling because he knows that he is no longer the worst President of the modern era

#17 loopie

loopie

    Poker Forum Regular

  • Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:15 PM

View Postmtdesmoines, on Thursday, August 24th, 2006, 11:06 AM, said:

Really now ... can any trip the bathroom after viewing porn be considered "impromptu?
tryin to be a pundit, its ok to shundit..... :club:

#18 yergan

yergan

    Advance Australia Fair

  • Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:08 PM

View PostCanuckickstan, on Wednesday, August 23rd, 2006, 6:37 PM, said:

I like to go downstairs and beat the crap out of my CHILDREN. Really clears the mind !!
FYP

#19 RickyG033

RickyG033

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:18 AM

I have this same problem. Sometimes I just lack concentration and focus. I am headed out today to buy a dartboard. I figure if I can focus on that for maybe 30 min before lpaying, I'll be in the right mindset. Darts is something knew to me so I will not be very good and will ghave to really concentrate to become good.

#20 DonkSlayer

DonkSlayer

    very, very standard

  • Members
  • 5,032 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Richmond, VA
  • Favorite Poker Game:PL Omaha

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:06 AM

Watching poker on TV. AINEC for me.
Fortune favors the brave.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users