Jump to content


Official English Premier League Thread


1017 replies to this topic

#1 gkunit20

gkunit20

    Professor Backwards

  • Members
  • 11,262 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Desolation Row

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:26 AM

English Premiership has started.Chelsea has already lost to Liverpool, but they never beat liverpool. I'm pulling for Newcastle. This saturday should say alot.What're your thoughts?

#2 DonkSlayer

DonkSlayer

    very, very standard

  • Members
  • 5,032 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Richmond, VA
  • Favorite Poker Game:PL Omaha

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:36 AM

LiverpoolChelsea Man UtdTottenhamArsenaland then everyone else.
Fortune favors the brave.

#3 SBriand

SBriand

    Viva La Beaver!

  • Members
  • 15,097 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Birmingham, MI

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:03 AM

Pulling for Fulham obviously but I am a realist and know they won't crack the top 5. I was watching the EPL Preview Show last night on FSC and am curious to see how the Spurs do and also Portsmouth. If I had to pick I would say this is Liverpools year with Chelsea close behind.
QUOTE (digitalmonkey @ Wednesday, August 18th, 2010, 1:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve,

It doesn't matter who you start because you have a horse shoe up your ass so far I'm not really sure how you get through the day. You must be gay.

#4 gkunit20

gkunit20

    Professor Backwards

  • Members
  • 11,262 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Desolation Row

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:56 AM

Great way to start off the season. 2-1 win over Wigan.

#5 sharkbite

sharkbite

    Poker Forum Regular

  • Members
  • 116 posts
  • Location:Toronto
  • Favorite Poker Game:LO8

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:47 PM

Liverpool already throw away two points that they're going to need somewhere down the line. And look like they've lost Riise for a while too.
A fool and his money are soon partying

#6 fatman

fatman

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 3,896 posts
  • Location:The Kop

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:25 AM

View Postsharkbite, on Sunday, August 20th, 2006, 2:47 PM, said:

Liverpool already throw away two points that they're going to need somewhere down the line. And look like they've lost Riise for a while too.
Yeah, we can't be giving away points like this. Not with the way Chelsea looked and they were without Joe Cole and Ballack. It is not going to be easy for anyone to stop Chelsea from winning thier third in a row.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.

#7 DonkSlayer

DonkSlayer

    very, very standard

  • Members
  • 5,032 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Richmond, VA
  • Favorite Poker Game:PL Omaha

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:51 AM

Liverpool are always listless at the beginning of the season. I'm still picking them to win it b/c I don't think the other teams will be able to hold them off afterwards.Interesting bits from the weekend:Bolton big: they're probably going to have another consistent season. Not a good start for Tottenham.Reading! Reading! Reading! Stop giving up stupid goals and we finish in the top 1/2!Chelsea is so stacked their bench would probably finish top 6.Man U looked great with Rooney. Minus Rooney for the next three: good luck.Newcastle wasn't convincing, but, unlike last season, they found a way to win against an inferior team.The forward for Watford that scored, forget-his-name will get picked up by a top 6 club after this season.
Fortune favors the brave.

#8 SBriand

SBriand

    Viva La Beaver!

  • Members
  • 15,097 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Birmingham, MI

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:03 PM

I totally missed the Reading game. Looks like it was a good one.I though Newcastle looked good. There were definately times where they looked lost but pulled it out in the end. Caught something on picking up some Martin guy who should help out. Don't know if that has been confirmed.Fulham got their a.ss handed to them. Sheesh, I knew ManU would prevail but not like that. Though good to see Rooney and Ronaldo settle their differences. Looked like they had fun out there together.Why is Rooney out the next 3 games?How many points did you get so far Donk? I have 60. Wished I didn't sit Rooney out. :club:
QUOTE (digitalmonkey @ Wednesday, August 18th, 2010, 1:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve,

It doesn't matter who you start because you have a horse shoe up your ass so far I'm not really sure how you get through the day. You must be gay.

#9 sharkbite

sharkbite

    Poker Forum Regular

  • Members
  • 116 posts
  • Location:Toronto
  • Favorite Poker Game:LO8

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:14 PM

View PostSBriand, on Monday, August 21st, 2006, 12:03 PM, said:

Why is Rooney out the next 3 games?
He and Scholes both picked up reds in a pre-season "friendly". The automatic suspensions carry over to league games. I think they got to play the first game because of the time they had to appeal or something.
A fool and his money are soon partying

#10 KDawgCometh

KDawgCometh

    old skool

  • Members
  • 15,174 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:the bebop
  • Interests:poker(duh), soccer, football, rugby, music, and film

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:01 PM

View PostDonkSlayer, on Monday, August 21st, 2006, 1:51 PM, said:

Liverpool are always listless at the beginning of the season. I'm still picking them to win it b/c I don't think the other teams will be able to hold them off afterwards.Man U looked great with Rooney. Minus Rooney for the next three: good luck.
lol at both of these. Liverp**l aren't going to win the league and ManU will finish above them again. Picking up Kuyt was good, but Bellamy is the definition of streaky and other then Carragher and Gerrard, they posses little in the way of top class talent. ManU will be fine w/o Rooney and scholes. Its not like we don't have Rossi and Saha to play along with ROnaldo, Giggs, Carrick, Van Der Saar, Rio, O'Shea, Neville, and Keiran RIchardson. Way too much talent to struggle even without rooney and scholes
Wine Notes for those that care about such pretentious things

#11 DonkSlayer

DonkSlayer

    very, very standard

  • Members
  • 5,032 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Richmond, VA
  • Favorite Poker Game:PL Omaha

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

View PostSBriand, on Monday, August 21st, 2006, 4:03 PM, said:

I totally missed the Reading game. Looks like it was a good one.I though Newcastle looked good. There were definately times where they looked lost but pulled it out in the end. Caught something on picking up some Martin guy who should help out. Don't know if that has been confirmed.Fulham got their a.ss handed to them. Sheesh, I knew ManU would prevail but not like that. Though good to see Rooney and Ronaldo settle their differences. Looked like they had fun out there together.Why is Rooney out the next 3 games?How many points did you get so far Donk? I have 60. Wished I didn't sit Rooney out. :club:
I know! I sat Rooney too and he plays?? ugh. I got 48, and i took a minus 4 when i let go Lua Lua and replaced him with that Kirsten guy from reading.

View PostKDawgCometh, on Monday, August 21st, 2006, 11:01 PM, said:

lol at both of these. Liverp**l aren't going to win the league and ManU will finish above them again. Picking up Kuyt was good, but Bellamy is the definition of streaky and other then Carragher and Gerrard, they posses little in the way of top class talent. ManU will be fine w/o Rooney and scholes. Its not like we don't have Rossi and Saha to play along with ROnaldo, Giggs, Carrick, Van Der Saar, Rio, O'Shea, Neville, and Keiran RIchardson. Way too much talent to struggle even without rooney and scholes
Good luck.
Fortune favors the brave.

#12 thrope

thrope

    Poker Forum Regular

  • Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:22 AM

west ham will shoot to first after their victory today :club:

#13 Mos Def

Mos Def

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 52 posts
  • Location:Omaha, NE

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:13 PM

View PostKDawgCometh, on Monday, August 21st, 2006, 7:01 PM, said:

lol at both of these. Liverp**l aren't going to win the league and ManU will finish above them again. Picking up Kuyt was good, but Bellamy is the definition of streaky and other then Carragher and Gerrard, they posses little in the way of top class talent. ManU will be fine w/o Rooney and scholes. Its not like we don't have Rossi and Saha to play along with ROnaldo, Giggs, Carrick, Van Der Saar, Rio, O'Shea, Neville, and Keiran RIchardson. Way too much talent to struggle even without rooney and scholes
Giggs--oldCarrick--overratedO'Shea--crapRichardson--crapMan U will struggle just like Liverpool and my Arsenal.PS thanks Boro for sticking it to Chelski.
UltimateBet--freaky styley
Party--Mos_Def8

#14 DonkSlayer

DonkSlayer

    very, very standard

  • Members
  • 5,032 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Richmond, VA
  • Favorite Poker Game:PL Omaha

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:10 AM

Ugh, this past week destroyed my pool AND my fantasy stats. No one showed up to play except Man U. My Reading did until they got knocked down to 10-men. Blah. It's going to be a very difficult season to predict.
Fortune favors the brave.

#15 SBriand

SBriand

    Viva La Beaver!

  • Members
  • 15,097 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Birmingham, MI

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:03 AM

So I just read that Newcastle did pick up Obafemi Martins from Inter. Should be a good addition to the team.
QUOTE (digitalmonkey @ Wednesday, August 18th, 2010, 1:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve,

It doesn't matter who you start because you have a horse shoe up your ass so far I'm not really sure how you get through the day. You must be gay.

#16 sharkbite

sharkbite

    Poker Forum Regular

  • Members
  • 116 posts
  • Location:Toronto
  • Favorite Poker Game:LO8

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:03 PM

View PostMos Def, on Wednesday, August 23rd, 2006, 8:13 PM, said:

PS thanks Boro for sticking it to Chelski.
Yep, didn't see that one coming. And now they've got Barca in the Champs League group stage (and a tough Werder Bremen). Mourinho's gonna be pissed.
A fool and his money are soon partying

#17 Mos Def

Mos Def

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 52 posts
  • Location:Omaha, NE

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:37 PM

View Postsharkbite, on Thursday, August 24th, 2006, 5:03 PM, said:

Yep, didn't see that one coming. And now they've got Barca in the Champs League group stage (and a tough Werder Bremen). Mourinho's gonna be pissed.
Yeah, but when isn't he pissed?You know what really grinds my gears? The fact that those cheats from Milan got the easiest group.
UltimateBet--freaky styley
Party--Mos_Def8

#18 KDawgCometh

KDawgCometh

    old skool

  • Members
  • 15,174 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:the bebop
  • Interests:poker(duh), soccer, football, rugby, music, and film

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:56 AM

View PostMos Def, on Wednesday, August 23rd, 2006, 11:13 PM, said:

Giggs--oldCarrick--overratedO'Shea--crapRichardson--crapMan U will struggle just like Liverpool and my Arsenal.PS thanks Boro for sticking it to Chelski.
lol. Have u ever watched richardson, and O Shea was played OOP the entire year last year. Carrick will also be a wonderful addition to the squad
Wine Notes for those that care about such pretentious things

#19 SBriand

SBriand

    Viva La Beaver!

  • Members
  • 15,097 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Birmingham, MI

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:50 AM

Did anyone see that elbow that Thatcher (Man City) put on Perdro Mendes (Spurs) the other day. Damn that was sick. Guess Man City suspended him for it but the league has had no reaction to it yet. Can't believe he only got a yellow for it in the first place.
QUOTE (digitalmonkey @ Wednesday, August 18th, 2010, 1:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve,

It doesn't matter who you start because you have a horse shoe up your ass so far I'm not really sure how you get through the day. You must be gay.

#20 sharkbite

sharkbite

    Poker Forum Regular

  • Members
  • 116 posts
  • Location:Toronto
  • Favorite Poker Game:LO8

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:16 PM

View PostSBriand, on Friday, August 25th, 2006, 9:50 AM, said:

Did anyone see that elbow that Thatcher (Man City) put on Perdro Mendes (Spurs) the other day. Damn that was sick. Guess Man City suspended him for it but the league has had no reaction to it yet. Can't believe he only got a yellow for it in the first place.
Probably one of the most vicious things I've ever seen on a pitch. Here's the youtube link:The Premier League may not be able to suspend him because he was only given a yellow card. He was disciplined on the pitch, so they technically can't use replay.
A fool and his money are soon partying



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users