• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 honestabe

honestabe

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:29 AM

What DN said about Israel's airport security is right, in that their security is some of the best in the world, and that is largely due to behavioral profiling. It seems that he got the issue a little mixed up, though. Behavioral profiling and racial profiling are two different things. Behavioral profiling, to my knowledge, does not take into account things like name, race, age, gender, and the like. Rather, it considers a person's behavior while in the airport. Apparently, potential terrorists exhibit certain behavior patterns, and further investigation is carried out if a person exhibits these patterns. All that business about being a 26 year-old male named Mohammad whatever is more about the US's policy of racial profiling, which is what the debate is about. Israel's policy is different, and it works, thus supporting opponents of that type of profiling.

#2 DanielNegreanu

DanielNegreanu

Poker Forum Veteran

• Root Admin
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:42 AM

View Posthonestabe, on Wednesday, August 16th, 2006, 2:29 AM, said:

What DN said about Israel's airport security is right, in that their security is some of the best in the world, and that is largely due to behavioral profiling. It seems that he got the issue a little mixed up, though. Behavioral profiling and racial profiling are two different things. Behavioral profiling, to my knowledge, does not take into account things like name, race, age, gender, and the like. Rather, it considers a person's behavior while in the airport. Apparently, potential terrorists exhibit certain behavior patterns, and further investigation is carried out if a person exhibits these patterns. All that business about being a 26 year-old male named Mohammad whatever is more about the US's policy of racial profiling, which is what the debate is about. Israel's policy is different, and it works, thus supporting opponents of that type of profiling.
I think others got it mixed up actually. I was referring to behavioural profiling but many thought I was talking about racial profiling due to that comment you mentioned.
Posted Image

#3 showstopper24

showstopper24

SKADOOSH!

• Members
  • 9,470 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Blind Man's Bluff

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:09 PM

I think one of the main points Daniel was making was that the Israelis have it right for airport security.
W.W.J.B.D-What Would Jack Bauer Do?
_____ That's what she said!

#4 honestabe

honestabe

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:20 PM

View PostDanielNegreanu, on Wednesday, August 16th, 2006, 10:42 AM, said:

I think others got it mixed up actually. I was referring to behavioural profiling but many thought I was talking about racial profiling due to that comment you mentioned.
I stand corrected. In any case, you're right. Behavioral profiling is the way to go. I actually saw something on ABC's World News Now that said that Israel's last airport attack was 20 years ago, by an Irish woman.

#5 showstopper24

showstopper24

SKADOOSH!

• Members
  • 9,470 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Blind Man's Bluff

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:38 PM

Thats funny, the security there is tight. It's probably one of the more safest places in Israel.
W.W.J.B.D-What Would Jack Bauer Do?
_____ That's what she said!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users