Taking Notes, What To Take Note Of?

What are the things I should really take note of and what should I conclude with them?Thanks. :club:
Number of tig bitties at/around the table. very important for sustaining through a long session.

betting patterns!!!also note the range of hands he'll raise with from each position - this is really important. You can isolate those LAG players or the fishies.Passive vs. Aggressivegamblers - chase flush draws and straight draws w/out proper odddshow they play their flush and straight drawshow they play their hands out of position

my biggest concern about taking notes is over-reliance.Credibility Theory.the study that shapes our expectation of a sample based on little data in the midst of more general cases (the poker population in general) full of tons of data.So, if you can see him raise 67s from EP, well, note that..but how much should that impact you ?

my biggest concern about taking notes is over-reliance.Credibility Theory.the study that shapes our expectation of a sample based on little data in the midst of more general cases (the poker population in general) full of tons of data.So, if you can see him raise 67s from EP, well, note that..but how much should that impact you ?
I think that if you have a lot of hands on a player, you could go through your PT database and make some very decent notes on a player. Obviously, you would need a LOT of hands. You would also have to play with the player often to make it worth your time.
my biggest concern about taking notes is over-reliance.Credibility Theory.
Check this out: the other day I'm in a tourney, and sitting to my immediate right is a player who I have notes on. The notes say "Open-pushed in MP with big stack, held 87s, other large stacks behind him."So at one point it was folded to him in SB, he pushed to my BB. I had an M of maybe 15 and he had 20, but based on my notes that he'd open push when the blinds aren't worth it with less than strong hands, I called with A7 and beat his A2.
But often players fall into the same patterns. ex- people who slow play a set by check calling, but lead out with bluffs can be very reliable info. If i have this note on a player who check calls my flop bet... Im probably done with that hand. Slowplayers typically can be taken off hands when they are BETTING. Its not an exact science but it helps to make those marinal decisions. I also like to put down what hands they are raising with from certain positions and or limping with in EP. But to be honest i dont take as good of notes as i should and im not always paying attention as much as i should.

take a note anytime they do something stupid, like some people like to bet a minimum bet as a blocker bet. you should note what hands they do this with. Some people like to check raise bluff the river, make a note. also note what size bets they make in certain situations, like pot sized bets mean the nuts while half sized pot bets mean weak. you get the picture.

take a note anytime they do something stupid, like some people like to bet a minimum bet as a blocker bet. you should note what hands they do this with. Some people like to check raise bluff the river, make a note. also note what size bets they make in certain situations, like pot sized bets mean the nuts while half sized pot bets mean weak. you get the picture.
Blocker bet?
Blocker bet?
A bet you make to try and stop your opponent from making a large bet - so you can see the next card/go to showdown.Basically you don't want to check because your opponent is likely to bluff but also may have you beat, so you don't want to call a large bet.
A bet you make to try and stop your opponent from making a large bet - so you can see the next card/go to showdown.Basically you don't want to check because your opponent is likely to bluff but also may have you beat, so you don't want to call a large bet.
Ah thanks.

there is a great post in an old 2+2 forum about ways to classify players. i'll try and find it sometime this weeked.essentially it groups players at low limits into categories and helps you to play at them.cliffs:there are people who love to trap and will always trap with a monster no matter what. they will never bet big with a huge hand.some bet there huge hands big because they are afraid of getting sucked out on.etc.but once you can sucessfully categorize someone for the type of player they are it doesn't do any good to take notes because you are paying close enough attention to remember.let me find it and i'll be back.hope this its the sort of thing you are looking for.

there is a great post in an old 2+2 forum about ways to classify players. i'll try and find it sometime this weeked.essentially it groups players at low limits into categories and helps you to play at them.cliffs:there are people who love to trap and will always trap with a monster no matter what. they will never bet big with a huge hand.some bet there huge hands big because they are afraid of getting sucked out on.etc.but once you can sucessfully categorize someone for the type of player they are it doesn't do any good to take notes because you are paying close enough attention to remember.let me find it and i'll be back.hope this its the sort of thing you are looking for.
Come on it has been like three minutes already :club:

I don't think you need to take note of general patterns. PT will do that for you if you really want to know. I mainly look for anamolies, or things that will be useful in specific situations. For instance, "min-raises a big hand, even in an obvious push situation" or "not afraid to overbet as a bluff" or "Will min-bet with the nuts". Basically, anything strange they do that will let you put them on something specific at some point down the line.

my point above though, is seeing someone do it and noting it may bias you too much.He may slow play the nuts 2 times you see it..but maybe fast play them 75% of the time overall. I think at low limits people want to count on reads much more than necessary, when simple math will get you therethen again, I was always better at math than reading.

Well, it has to be specific to the way you play. For instance, when an unknown player weak leads into me, I raise pretty much every single time, and sometimes even bet again on the turn and river with nothing, figuring them for a draw. If I know a player's capable of doing that with a big hand, then it keeps me from losing every time.The min-raise thing's important for tournaments because my standard operating procedure is to almost always call a min-raise from my big blind. If I think there's any fairly good chance that the villian will do that with a big pair, it's usually +EV to fold my marginal hands. That's actually why I think specific things are better than something like "slow plays the nuts". Even a poor player will generally fast-play or slow-play the nuts at different times, but there are certain players that will min-raise AA every single time they get it.

Right now I'm playing 5-10 shorthanded limit on a small site. There are a about 15 core players that you run into a lot. They are all aggressive, but about half of them really really suck. Their PT stats looks similar, but some are idiots postflop, some aren't. Here are the types of things I take notes on:How do they play draws. How far will they take a bluff/very marginal value bet.If it is checked to them, will they bet.If I see a player make a strange play a few times in a row, I'll take note of it. I will erase this note if it turns out to be misleading.I use notes as a compliment to PokerTracker, not as a replacement.Notes are also a good way to avoid going on tilt. Instead of capping with A4off when someone sucks out on me, I just add a note saying that they are a brain dead water buffalo.

Most poker player are habitual. Most poker players dont like to admit it.Notes just let you take into consideration what a certain poker player's habits are. Of course, you should note what hands he shows down, if he shows bluffs, what hands he goes all in with, etc. Take it with a grain of salt though, because 10hands, doesnt quite define their steadfast habits.