• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 Uppie_

Uppie_

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:45 AM

Ok heres my advice. I like the temp idea for now good route i did it for awhile after college trying to figure out what i wanted to do and what I liked in a company. If you seriously want to play poker for a living, 1 go get poker tracker if you can't spend 55 on it well you don't have the money to play poker for a living. 2. Play a few thousand hands or a few 10's of thousand hands. And a few hundred or more MTT's and SNG's. And figure out your ROI(return on investment) or in cash games how much money your really make/hour or per/100 hands. Then you will have a good idea of what you really need to play for a living. Right now you might think you are not on an up swing but how do you know you have no real data that you speak of. 3. What happens when you have a losing month on a 1800/4000 bank roll or two. and you have no money to pay rent/food/utiltes, how will your roommate feel about that, you could but him in a tough spot without having enough living expenses set aside. 4. Women Don't like getting hitched with low stakes poker players(well not most) they like some stablity in there lives and poker doesn't always have a lot of that. Remember if someday you want a family you will have to support them and now might be a good time to devolpe a 100% win rate skill. ok 67% after taxes :club:
show me yours and I'll show you mind :D

#22 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:47 AM

First, you get the money. Then, you get the women. Then, you get the power.
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

#23 Spence

Spence

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for all the good input. I know I'm a winning poker player, i have 100,000's of hands on poker office.I know I should have planned more, but it's not the end-all, I'm just giving it a try. After this next semester I'll be graduated from college with a Computer Information Systems degree, and then I'll reevaluate my situation.I am really thankful for all the truly valuable advice and I agree what I'm doing is pretty rough.Unfortuanately I've signed up for just about every site so I'll have a hard time finding one to do rakeback on.Even if I'm just able to break even and not really advance I think I'll know that I can make a good secondary income from poker.Thread Hijack Warning.Anybody have any info on that 100% rakeback site? Is it legit?
QUOTE(Ron_Mexico)
Anyway, she did mention that he had a huge penis and it didn't fit into her the first time. I was jealous. I was sure it woulda fit into me.

#24 kdogg

kdogg

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:41 AM

View PostSpence, on Wednesday, July 26th, 2006, 9:01 AM, said:

Anybody have any info on that 100% rakeback site? Is it legit?
Are you talking about worldpx? The 100% rakeback is legit, although the short-handed table availability isn't great for multi-tabling. My main complaint is that they don't have short-handed tables for every level. They have it for 1/2, 3/6, and 10/20, but 2/4 and 5/10 are only full-ring. You can make 3BB/100 in rakeback playing short-handed 3/6, and I get an an average of 130 hands/hour per table (it's 5-max and the action moves very quickly). So, if you 3-table short-handed 3/6, you can make $70/hour by breaking even (assuming you can find 3 short-handed tables, that is).

#25 Royal_Tour

Royal_Tour

Sherlock Holmes of butt sex

• Members
  • 14,322 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:02 AM

View PostSpence, on Wednesday, July 26th, 2006, 5:31 AM, said:

I've been deciding this for a while ;)It was a self inflicted firing, I just stayed home and never called my boss. He's a sniveling retard with the IQ of mayonnaise and I couldn't stand working under him anymore.
i like this guy a lot!the lower than mayonnaise line is gold. Did u take that from me?? I've used it several times on here.P.S. Good luck dude. I'm behind you in a non-gay way.. ok slightly gay

#26 Spence

Spence

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:48 AM

I don't recall reading it on here, who knows though, the phrase deserves to be immortalized no matter who said it.Hell I'll give you another one of my favorite quotes.He who made kittens, put snakes in the grass.Also, this'll be goign in the blog later but I started off firing on all cylinders...decide to play 2 full tables at 2/4 to start off my day. 2 hours and 15 minutes later I'm up...duh duh duuuuuh.. -75. Yes it is possible to be up a negative number, and I did it. So now that I'm laying face down and I get a little sense talked in to me I decided it would be ludicrous to think I could possibly support myself at 2/4 making only -75 dollars every 2 hours.So I stumble in to my good game. Shorthanded 3/6 limit. No way I can eff this up after all I T'd P. sat down at 11am and got up at 12:45 for a net profit of...duh duh duuuuuuh -$340. Actually I think I played quite well and had some mad variance, but thats neither here nor there. This isn't going the way I had envisioned.So I kick down the doors and sit down at a 15/30 table. (cause I T'd P of course, I can do that sort of stuff, you non pro's would know nothing about the limits at which you can compete as soon as you realize its your only lifeline).(I had actually seen this guy playing for quite a bit, hes a regular at the tables, and saw some tendencies that I thought I could take advantage of barring any variance)(Am I allowed to use () 2 sentences in a row)(how about a 3rd?, ok this is a vicious circle)Anyway back to the story, after 10 minutes I'm up $550 and he leaves the table no doubt nursing his ego.Next I sit down at a $2/4 HU LHE table, and take the next guy for $110.Then a Shorthanded 2/4 table and get another $60.I'm heading to the gym now. I'll elaborate more in the blog when I get back, but after playing way out of my BR, getting lucky I didn't hit the wrong end of variance I'm now +$305 for the day.I know I'm going to get bitched out for playing way out of my bankroll as I deserve it, but I really did feel like I had an edge, but HU is probably the worst place to "take a shot". Good luck at the tables everybody I'll be back in a bit.
QUOTE(Ron_Mexico)
Anyway, she did mention that he had a huge penis and it didn't fit into her the first time. I was jealous. I was sure it woulda fit into me.

#27 socalpoker_j

socalpoker_j

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:20 PM

Hey Spence, good luck in the quest, I hope you get what you're looking for out of this. You're posts are enjoyable and I'll be following along on your blog. Much success.

#28 mtdesmoines

mtdesmoines

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 9,980 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:23 PM

View PostSpence, on Wednesday, July 26th, 2006, 11:48 AM, said:

So I kick down the doors and sit down at a 15/30 table. (cause I T'd P of course, I can do that sort of stuff, you non pro's would know nothing about the limits at which you can compete as soon as you realize its your only lifeline).
:club: :) :D :) :D :) :D :club:
Somewhere Jimmy Carter is smiling because he knows that he is no longer the worst President of the modern era

#29 rockytrh

rockytrh

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:28 PM

View PostSpence, on Wednesday, July 26th, 2006, 11:48 AM, said:

I don't recall reading it on here, who knows though, the phrase deserves to be immortalized no matter who said it.Hell I'll give you another one of my favorite quotes.He who made kittens, put snakes in the grass.Also, this'll be goign in the blog later but I started off firing on all cylinders...decide to play 2 full tables at 2/4 to start off my day. 2 hours and 15 minutes later I'm up...duh duh duuuuuh.. -75. Yes it is possible to be up a negative number, and I did it. So now that I'm laying face down and I get a little sense talked in to me I decided it would be ludicrous to think I could possibly support myself at 2/4 making only -75 dollars every 2 hours.So I stumble in to my good game. Shorthanded 3/6 limit. No way I can eff this up after all I T'd P. sat down at 11am and got up at 12:45 for a net profit of...duh duh duuuuuuh -$340. Actually I think I played quite well and had some mad variance, but thats neither here nor there. This isn't going the way I had envisioned.So I kick down the doors and sit down at a 15/30 table. (cause I T'd P of course, I can do that sort of stuff, you non pro's would know nothing about the limits at which you can compete as soon as you realize its your only lifeline).(I had actually seen this guy playing for quite a bit, hes a regular at the tables, and saw some tendencies that I thought I could take advantage of barring any variance)(Am I allowed to use () 2 sentences in a row)(how about a 3rd?, ok this is a vicious circle)Anyway back to the story, after 10 minutes I'm up $550 and he leaves the table no doubt nursing his ego.Next I sit down at a $2/4 HU LHE table, and take the next guy for $110.Then a Shorthanded 2/4 table and get another $60.I'm heading to the gym now. I'll elaborate more in the blog when I get back, but after playing way out of my BR, getting lucky I didn't hit the wrong end of variance I'm now +$305 for the day.I know I'm going to get bitched out for playing way out of my bankroll as I deserve it, but I really did feel like I had an edge, but HU is probably the worst place to "take a shot". Good luck at the tables everybody I'll be back in a bit.
Congrats, your first day as a poker pro. You also broke a huge rule by playing out of your range, but at least you came out ahead.
BREAKING NEWS
Ladies, faking a headache no longer cuts it
Having sex releases endorphens, endorphens lead to dopomine, dopomine is a natural pain reliever
Guys, now you have the cure for headaches

#30 bascomeb

bascomeb

The Short Stack

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:29 PM

we on the grind in Georgia, nothin on my mind Georgia!
SW

#31 timwakefield

timwakefield

I haven't got the time time

• Members
  • 14,413 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:30 PM

View PostSpence, on Wednesday, July 26th, 2006, 5:31 AM, said:

I've been deciding this for a while ;)It was a self inflicted firing, I just stayed home and never called my boss. He's a sniveling retard with the IQ of mayonnaise and I couldn't stand working under him anymore.
Haha I did the same thing a few months ago, called in sick for a week and they were like, just don't come back. And I was like, yay now I can play cards for a living.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#32 sirch1

sirch1

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  • Interests:sports and poker

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:11 PM

you are gonna play 2/4 for a livinghahahahahhahahahhahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahhyou guys are so funny
always try and make yourself pot commited that way you cant fold

#33 AcesUp46

AcesUp46

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:19 PM

View Postsirch1, on Wednesday, July 26th, 2006, 2:11 PM, said:

you are gonna play 2/4 for a livinghahahahahhahahahhahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahhyou guys are so funny
That's a good one.

#34 ForRealDD

ForRealDD

Poker Forum Redneck

• Members
  • 3,210 posts
  • Interests:Lawn Darts and finger paint

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:31 PM

View PostSpence, on Wednesday, July 26th, 2006, 6:23 AM, said:

I have decided to give playing poker for a living a shot.I will be documenting all my results at http://spence2020.blogspot.com/I would go on, but the blog says most of what has to be said at this point. I will probably have an abundance of hand histories on the site so you all can gawk at my play.May god have mercy on my soul :club:
Don't do it ? It is cruel.........very cruelEdit: P.S. you CANNOT make a living playing 2/4HE and playing tournaments up to $20.....please reconsider, or atleast get a part time job until you've got ATLEAST 500 BB's in a game higher than 2/4...Good luck anyhoo
It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows.

#35 MasterLJ

MasterLJ

Bus Fare Gambler

• Members
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:26 PM

Ummm, up until the point where you said " I took a shot at 15/30" I was going to support you.With a roomate you can get your living expenses down to $5-700/month.But, taking shots when it's your livelyhood on the line, is about as dumb as it gets.Get a job!
Me Blog (Updated: **12/22/2006**)

#36 Spence

Spence

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:42 PM

Fair enough Gambler, I agree it was one of the most retarded things I could have done. I acknowledge that. Also guys, it is not the end of the world if I don't make it (I have moved the limits up from 2/4 btw, and am going to deposit more money on to the site).If I'm able to get up to a 5/10 range or higher I will be satisfied. At the very least if I find its too stressful I can use it for a very nice secondary income.Thanks for all the concern though, for real. It's really nice to have people that are willing to look out for one another.
QUOTE(Ron_Mexico)

#37 ForRealDD

ForRealDD

Poker Forum Redneck

• Members
  • 3,210 posts
  • Interests:Lawn Darts and finger paint

Posted 26 July 2006 - 04:30 PM

View PostSpence, on Wednesday, July 26th, 2006, 4:42 PM, said:

If I'm able to get up to a 5/10 range or higher I will be satisfied. At the very least if I find its too stressful I can use it for a very nice secondary income.Thanks for all the concern though, for real. It's really nice to have people that are willing to look out for one another.
I would say a GOOD 5/10 player could make it with a 5k BR as a minimum. The 5/10 online are quite soft for the most part. However, one big downswing (like I took last week) could have a 2-3k br turned into pennies. YOU NEED A PROPER BR or honestly you have no shot. You WILL bounce back from downswings if you have the bankroll. Good luck....
It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows.

#38 Run it Thrice

Run it Thrice

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:30 PM

Everyone has said it already but I have to say it too...Play within your bankroll. You HAVE to do this. If you play above your bankroll enough times you will eventually pay for it. Sitting down at a table wayyyy over your head on your first day as a pro is not a good sign. I'm sure you know that to play 15/30 SH safely you need a MINIMUM of 15k.There is just no good reason to play over your bankroll right now. If you know you are a consistent winner at 3/6 then there is no reason to play above that. If you're pulling in 2 bb/hr and can play two tables at once you're averaging 24 bucks an hour. If you can just put in 40 hours in a week you can average a grand a week.At this point it's important to note that although most people on this forum consider themselves winners, I don't think there are that many that average 2 bb/hr online per table at 3/6 or above.Cobalt Blue and pokerplayer24 are the only two I see post frequently who play above 5/10 online, and although surely this is because alot of better players don't bother posting, it still means that there are alot of players who know alot about limit who haven't made the leap yet to 10/20 or above.I'm not saying you won't be successful, I'm just saying be careful and don't play above your bankroll. If you have the skill you'll get there in time. If you blow your whole bankroll playing over your head it'll just take even longer to get to where you want to be.

#39 blacktie31

blacktie31

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:poker, golf
  • Favorite Poker Game:o8

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:00 PM

PlayLearnI'm glad your taking this chance to take your shot, sounds like your already learning important lessons, congrats.Don't listen to the naysayers, focus on the positive!If you go broke, get some work and go at it again.The only way to success is to keep at it.We will all be routing for you, living the dream!
"All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns."

"It's not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential."

#40 Abbaddabba

Abbaddabba

breaking even like it's 1999

• Members
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:41 PM

Anybody have any info on that 100% rakeback site? Is it legit?
WPEX is the typical one. It's legit, but not the only way you can get 100% rakeback.I play on absolute and get comparable benefits (roughly equal to 100% rakeback). You get 28% rakeback paid monthly, there is a perpetual stream of bonus which works out to between 50-60% rakeback. You also get player points that can be redeemed for cash along with VIP tournament entries that work out to the remaining 15% or so. I play on absolute instead of WPEx because i prefer the software... wpex is a hassle with pokertracker (no auto hand grab). It also has a 3 table max, i believe. To sign up at absolute for the rakeback plan, you can go through my sig. 28% is standard for all sites now.People who're laughing at the prospect of playing small stakes for a living probably dont make half of what i make an hour playing a mix of 2/4 and 3/6.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users