Balancing Girlfriend And Poker, Can It Be Done?

Can it be done?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Can you make the balance?

• yes
    • no

I love playing live poker and have been playing more online than I can remember...and hence my girlfriend has started to get upset...Last night, I was playing in a tourney on Poker Syndicate, and made a good run, and my girlfriend starts yelling at me that all I do is play poker, and she wants more quality time with her on the couch or wherever...we live together.I've been thinking about playing more though because I've done pretty well and I make more playing online than at my job. How do you balance out your girlfriend, and poker play if it takes up so much time, especially when the good tourneys are all at night, and she works during the day?Advice appreciated.

Girlfriend?!? Try it with a wife and 2 kids age 2 and under!My secret is I don't require as much sleep as anyone else in the house and can function fine at work the next day on 3-5 hours of sleep. So I don't start playing usually until everyone is in bed...

Girlfriend?!? Try it with a wife and 2 kids age 2 and under!My secret is I don't require as much sleep as anyone else in the house and can function fine at work the next day on 3-5 hours of sleep. So I don't start playing usually until everyone is in bed...
Playing after the wife and kids are asleep can lead to this
You know, with that avatar, it makes this comment absoloutly hilarious.
Thank you I'm here all week.......try the Veal

IMHO just as anything time consuming in a relationship ya gotta talk about it. Set time frames up and limits on that time. Make sure you set time for her that is only for her. It can be done. I balance a wife and 2 jobs and still play. Sure you cant be a 40 hour pro with another job, but what is your purpose for playing. Ask yourself that then figure out which is more important the girl or the cards.

Poker and girlfriend don't mix well at all. First off mine always gets pissed when I can't hang out because I'm in a tourney or something at the moment. Another thing that sucks is the fact that you can't explain anything to them because they just don't understand similar to parents. I try to just play in my free time but sometimes playing during the day gets me into trouble with the g/f too.

i have the luxury of being good at poker and having women not attracted to me.
It must be so awesome being you. I'm so damn attractive and women cant keep their hands off of me. I'll tell ya, it's a real bum deal I've got.
i have the luxury of being good at poker and having women not attracted to me.
Same for the most part, but the current girlfriend understands where she is1. Family2. Friends3. School4. Work5. Poker6. My Cat7. My Car8. Teddy Bear Snuffles9. That guy as 7-11 who refills the Grape Slurpee10. MY girlfriendAnd if she doesnt understand the order im not sure our relationship will last
Same for the most part, but the current girlfriend understands where she is1. Family2. Friends3. School4. Work5. Poker6. My Cat7. My Car8. Teddy Bear Snuffles9. That guy as 7-11 who refills the Grape Slurpee10. MY girlfriendAnd if she doesnt understand the order im not sure our relationship will last
This gave me a good lol....especially the 7-11 part....Thanks
Exact same boat except 1 kid is 2.5 and the other is 1.5And i don't need 8 hours of sleep! :club:
My situation, my solution. Except I'm not functioning so well at work :club: To the OP: it's a balance, you make your tradeoffs and live with them. Is she more important to you than poker? If yes, then make her more important than poker. If not, let her get on with her life with someone who will give her what she needs.

Oh, I should add, another thing that helps in my case: my wife, instead of getting less and less impatient with my obsession, decided to find out what it is about. She played a few times with my help, tried a few times on her own or with me giving help from across the room, and now, all by herself, crushes the NL games online. I think the student has surpassed the instructor. I am learning a lot from her success at the game. She always had said she could never like the game, it's too slow, etc, but I think she plays every day now. Can you convince your girlfriend to give it a try? Patiently coach her?

I love playing live poker and have been playing more online than I can remember...and hence my girlfriend has started to get upset...Last night, I was playing in a tourney on Poker Syndicate, and made a good run, and my girlfriend starts yelling at me that all I do is play poker, and she wants more quality time with her on the couch or wherever...we live together.I've been thinking about playing more though because I've done pretty well and I make more playing online than at my job. How do you balance out your girlfriend, and poker play if it takes up so much time, especially when the good tourneys are all at night, and she works during the day?Advice appreciated.
Play cash games more, you can quit anytime. I have a wife and it works out well.
Just buy her a diamond bracelet, and whether or not its true tell her you got it with poker winnings. Guaranteed your problem will be over. :club:
Sounds like a solid thing to do!

Thanks for the posts guys, I appreciate it, this one is damn funny!

This topic is a problem for me right now. I'm married and right now currently "banned" from poker by my wife. lol If I had to choose between her and poker I'm obviously gonna choose her. I own a business and work from home, and poker started taking up way too much of my time, time that should have been spending working on things for my business. I would like to say I'm not completely obsessed with poker, but I can't. I'm playing right now...she's at work. I've tried to play less, but its hard.

Oh, I should add, another thing that helps in my case: my wife, instead of getting less and less impatient with my obsession, decided to find out what it is about. She played a few times with my help, tried a few times on her own or with me giving help from across the room, and now, all by herself, crushes the NL games online. I think the student has surpassed the instructor. I am learning a lot from her success at the game. She always had said she could never like the game, it's too slow, etc, but I think she plays every day now. Can you convince your girlfriend to give it a try? Patiently coach her?
I've been trying to teach my wife too, and I think she does have potential. She's a smart girl, and she can definitely be agressive. She's not as advanced as yours yet, but I can see her getting there. I just bought a chip set and we've been playing a lot of heads up. Overall though, poker and women do not mix.
My girlfriend has picked up the game as well, very very quickly. Its great to be able to do things you love with those that you love. We sometimes will play tournaments together, but her super-tight play drives me insane "WHAT? WHY WOULD YOU FOLD J10s in the SB?" So we generally play in seperate tournies in the same room and bounce hands off of eachother.The competition aspect is great too, and I would advise anyone with any type of friend who is an avid poker player (wife,gf, or other) to do the same. We have set up accounts on the same site with equal balances. We compare ending balances, and it does a lot for my game. I am more likely to stay within my roll, and to stick to games I am best at.If you can't convince her to like poker (I would recommend letting her watch some of the games on TV) - You just have to make her understand it is really something that you love, and while you love her too, you don't want to give poker up entirely. Show her some of your winnings, let her spend some of them, and I'm sure that will help her gravitate towards poker a bit more.
Rude. Generally my female friends don't do poker, but I taught all my male friends how to play. Poker mixes pretty well with me.
I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said women and poker do not mix. I should have said relationships and poker do not mix.