Playing Agianst Johnny Bax

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)MP1 (t1620)MP2 (t3648)CO (t1960)Button (t1350)Johnny Bax (t2907)Hero (t1175)UTG (t2705)UTG+1 (t2120)Preflop: Hero is BB with 6diamond.gif, 6spade.gif. 5 folds, Button raises to t300, JohnnyBax raises to t1950, 1 fold, Button folds.Final Pot: t2350Easy laydown, right?Early in a MTT.

Is it early? Blinds 50/100 and your M is close to 8.Bax puts button on a steal and puts him to the test. I would be inclined to call this as I would consider Bax a LAG and he could have something like A5 where you'd actually have an edge.If it's early, I would agree with the fold but I actually think it's close to semi-desperation time.

Is it early? Blinds 50/100 and your M is close to 8.Bax puts button on a steal and puts him to the test. I would be inclined to call this as I would consider Bax a LAG and he could have something like A5 where you'd actually have an edge.If it's early, I would agree with the fold but I actually think it's close to semi-desperation time.
I'm actually not so sure about your reasoning regarding Bax putting a button steal to the test. Button only has 1350 - I can't imagine that bax thinks he has a lot of fold equity against that. Also, if he gets called he's playing for a lot of his chips. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a small-medium pair like hero or something like AJ. I know that a lot of the best players play very aggressively, but they also seem to want to avoid getting their chips in in marginal situations. If it was earlier in the tournament, this would be an easy fold. At this stage, I probably call, especially if you're close to the 75/150 blind level.

Although I wouldn't describe his play (from what I've seen) as LAG, Bax doesn't have to be particularly strong here. I've seen him re-steal in spots like this with hands like 77 and AT. Just some anecdotal evidence. You'd probably be something like 40% against his range, and with the price the pot is laying , it's tough to pass up. A read on the button would help. Does he steal every time it's folded around to him on the button? Or do you give him credit for a real hand?

Bax Knows the Button- It is someone he said hi to when they first sat down together. I figure Bax may be trying to pick off a steal, but I could be in real bad shape anyway or in a coinflip. And no Rocket- It is not a rebuy. So do I take a stand with 6's when 2 others have shown an interest in the hand?I folded, as did the button. Really don't know if I did the right thing or not. In retrospect, I think with my M I should have called.

And no Rocket- It is not a rebuy. So do I take a stand with 6's when 2 others have shown an interest in the hand?
You need a better hand to call a raise than to put in a raise yourself. With a raise and a re-raise, you need the goods. 6's are not the goods...
You need a better hand to call a raise than to put in a raise yourself. With a raise and a re-raise, you need the goods. 6's are not the goods...
ding ding ding - we have a winner

If the button were a bit deeper, this would be an easy call. As it is, I think bax has to have a much stronger range to make the re-raise. If you're in the mood to gamble, it's probably not a very big mistake to make the call with 66, IMO.

I am going to try some math, not real solid here but I think I have the idea correct.Let's try to give Bax a range. I am going to very loose, give the chance this is simply a resteal. Lets say he makes this move with A9 or better and any Pair.There are 48 combos of pair hands that have me beat bad- 30 that I have beat, and 80 Ace combos that I would be racing against. So I am racing or better with 81 hands (including the other 2 6's), I am ahead of 30 and behind 48.If I call and Button folds the pot will contain $2850. I would need to call $1250.On the Ace combos assumming I win 50% of the time my if I call my average return is $1425.The Pairs I am behind my avg. return is $570.The pairs I am ahead of my avg return is $2280.So I am racing 51%, winning 19% and behind 30%.51% of $1425 is $726.5019% of $433.20 is $82.3130% of $570 is $171so given that range the avg return on equity is $979.31 if I call, and the button folds. IF I fold I still have $1250. Does this math make sense? I know I am leaving out the chance he might have some random hand, but I am racing against most of those. I am also assuming a fold by the button. So folding looks right to me. Somebody tell me if my math is faulty.

I am also assuming a fold by the button. This is the main problem, really. The pot odds you're offering him here if you call this are almost allways too good for him to fold given his stack size and the change in his inflection point if he tripples up. You're awfull shape against almost any 4 random cards barring crazy flukes like them both having AK.good luck.

I am also assuming a fold by the button. This is the main problem, really. The pot odds you're offering him here if you call this are almost allways too good for him to fold given his stack size and the change in his inflection point if he tripples up. You're awfull shape against almost any 4 random cards barring crazy flukes like them both having AK.good luck.
Good point, so folding is even more mathametically wrong if the button comes in, I am really against it at that point.Great point Smash