Quiz Question #19

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: Omaha H/L (292 member(s) have cast votes)

What Would You do?

1. Call (24 votes [8.22%])

Percentage of vote: 8.22%

2. Fold (235 votes [80.48%])

Percentage of vote: 80.48%

3. Cap It (33 votes [11.30%])

Percentage of vote: 11.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 DonkSlayer

DonkSlayer

very, very standard

• Members
  • 5,032 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PL Omaha

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:21 AM

View PostJacKingOff_suit, on Thursday, June 8th, 2006, 5:11 PM, said:

OK, my serious question is, since this is LO8, how could so many players have so many high cards? I have no doubt that someone had AAxx, what could be the possible holdings for the others? What happened to the low cards? How could there be so many reraises?
Well, I...::gets distracted by avatar::I think we're essentially drawing to one out that wouldn't be hopeful. There's even a straight flush possibility, which can null our quads. Fold.Although, it seems a bit too easy, so I'm interested to find out the "answer".
Fortune favors the brave.

#42 LooseCannon

LooseCannon

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:34 PM

View PostJacKingOff_suit, on Thursday, June 8th, 2006, 1:11 PM, said:

OK, my serious question is, since this is LO8, how could so many players have so many high cards? I have no doubt that someone had AAxx, what could be the possible holdings for the others? What happened to the low cards? How could there be so many reraises?
The first bet and raise don't have to be particularly strong hands. The first bet could be a relatively weak hand trying to steal the pot hoping to be up against a bunch of low hands. The first raiser could have something like A34Tds and is trying to knock out people with backdoor flush and backdoor nut low and gutshot straight draws. It's the people making it three and four bets on the flop who are scary since, arguably, a player with the nut straight and no redraws to better hands wouldn't bet that way.

#43 bdc30

bdc30

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 9,407 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:13 AM

Can we not end this charade already??This question wasn't even close, in my estimation...Post an answer, if there is one other than,"duh, fold"and lets move on....lol

#44 shpaget

shpaget

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,603 posts
  • Interests:beer

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:03 AM

There has to be a catch...there has to be...the answer can't be that simple...Cap it - the action has to mean that either all your opponents have AK or they are all playing in the dark.So your queens are good.hehehe
"Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

#45 DB10-2

DB10-2

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:35 PM

i guess we're all forgetting that we're on the button this hand. all of this action is likely to knock out some of the draws who will have to call one or more bets cold if we cap, and if players want to push their low hands (which might explain the 2 raises preflop) needing runner runner, let them pay us off.basically, we have to ask if anybody really has us beat RIGHT NOW. the only really likely hands are hands like AA32 and AAKK double suited, and they both have us crushed with a bigger set and maybe a redraw to a flush. also likely is maybe something like AK23 double suited, which we have beat right now.the key is this: my experience in omaha is that decent players raise preflop with both good low and high hands. so, isn't it most likely that two of the other aces are each in the hands of the two preflop raisers, and doesn't this mean that the chances of being up against a set of aces is reasonably low? if so, the next hand we have to worry about is someone holding KK, or JT which is the (very) mortal nuts on this board. remember also: we have a T, making the nut straight less likely and giving us a redraw to the nut straight.could we then cap the betting and get the players holding KKxx and JTxx out of the pot? it'd be an ideal scenario to play heads up against someone with something like AK23 even if they have a spade draw, since we'd curently be winning and have only to worry about the flush draw or a very unlikely A or K redraw to beat our set of queens. would someone without a redraw call one or more bets with the nut straight after this much action? i don't know, but that player would know there were many, many ways to lose the hand.lastly, if we think but aren't sure that we've gotten ourselves heads up against a set of aces and/or a straight, should we fold or plan to make crying calls on two more streets if we don't improve? i think an argument can be made for folding here, but maybe it's not nearly as easy as it looks on its face. maybe capping is the right play and if a flush comes all bets are off for our hand. DN?

#46 socal73

socal73

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:45 PM

easy fold.best case scenario is somebody has JT.somebody said you are playing for half the pot. that really doesn't make sense since runner runner low would be needed.but you are against AA or KK.

#47 yergan

yergan

Advance Australia Fair

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:10 PM

Any chance of the answer soon?

#48 Swift_Psycho

Swift_Psycho

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:06 AM

View Postyergan, on Thursday, June 29th, 2006, 1:10 AM, said:

#49 ol'number7

ol'number7

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:27 PM

View Postyergan, on Wednesday, June 28th, 2006, 10:10 PM, said:

"So you're Sicilian, huh?"

#50 yergan

yergan

Advance Australia Fair

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:11 PM

Got a feeling we might be (understandably) waiting till after the WSOP.

#51 jmeisner

jmeisner

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Poker?

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:03 AM

I WOULD RAISE, I HAVE A SET OF QUEENS, MIKE SEXTON SAYS THIS IS A BIG HAND AND I AM PLAYING POWER POKER!MY FAV PLAYER SAM GRIZZLE WOULD CERTAINLY AGREE WITH THIS MOVE, HE DOESNT TAKE **** FROM PHIL HELLMUTH AND WHAT IS OMAHA H/L?

#52 mtdesmoines

mtdesmoines

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 9,980 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:40 PM

View Postgregdon8, on Friday, May 19th, 2006, 11:38 AM, said:

punch david benyamine in the face because he is french, then fold.
LOL. NH.

View PostDB10-2, on Thursday, June 22nd, 2006, 4:35 PM, said:

i guess we're all forgetting that we're on the button this hand. all of this action is likely to knock out some of the draws who will have to call one or more bets cold if we cap, and if players want to push their low hands (which might explain the 2 raises preflop) needing runner runner, let them pay us off.basically, we have to ask if anybody really has us beat RIGHT NOW. the only really likely hands are hands like AA32 and AAKK double suited, and they both have us crushed with a bigger set and maybe a redraw to a flush. also likely is maybe something like AK23 double suited, which we have beat right now.the key is this: my experience in omaha is that decent players raise preflop with both good low and high hands. so, isn't it most likely that two of the other aces are each in the hands of the two preflop raisers, and doesn't this mean that the chances of being up against a set of aces is reasonably low? if so, the next hand we have to worry about is someone holding KK, or JT which is the (very) mortal nuts on this board. remember also: we have a T, making the nut straight less likely and giving us a redraw to the nut straight.could we then cap the betting and get the players holding KKxx and JTxx out of the pot? it'd be an ideal scenario to play heads up against someone with something like AK23 even if they have a spade draw, since we'd curently be winning and have only to worry about the flush draw or a very unlikely A or K redraw to beat our set of queens. would someone without a redraw call one or more bets with the nut straight after this much action? i don't know, but that player would know there were many, many ways to lose the hand.lastly, if we think but aren't sure that we've gotten ourselves heads up against a set of aces and/or a straight, should we fold or plan to make crying calls on two more streets if we don't improve? i think an argument can be made for folding here, but maybe it's not nearly as easy as it looks on its face. maybe capping is the right play and if a flush comes all bets are off for our hand. DN?
It's almost too big of a pot to ignore when we're holding a set. Cap it and look for the board to pair. I seriously think you're looking at a low, an AK, a flush and a JT. If we hit our boat and take a beating from AA or KK, so be it.
Somewhere Jimmy Carter is smiling because he knows that he is no longer the worst President of the modern era

#53 Canada

Canada

High Priest of the Church of Perpetual Spanking

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:13 AM

View Postmtdesmoines, on Wednesday, July 5th, 2006, 9:40 PM, said:

Cap it and look for the board to pair. I seriously think you're looking at a low, an AK, ...
Which particular card on the board would you like to pair then?
"I was under the impression that if it wasn't for the moons gravitational pull the ocean would just float into the air" Loismustdiet

"I enjoy watchin people make fulls of themselves." Mattnxtc

#54 DrZebra

DrZebra

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:27 AM

View PostCanada, on Friday, July 7th, 2006, 8:13 AM, said:

Q
"...the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."-J.M.Keynes

#55 Swift_Psycho

Swift_Psycho

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:52 PM

View PostCanada, on Friday, July 7th, 2006, 11:13 AM, said:

:club:

#56 narcosleep

narcosleep

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 10:22 AM

My decision to fold, call or cap would depend on how big the blinds were in comparison to my stack. As well my stack size at the table compared to the other stack sizes.If the blinds are relatively low and I have a substantial stack size over the other players and calling to see the turn wouldn't really hurt my stack size, I would call to see the turn.I would assume that the big blind has AA, or KK, or AK in his hand after I have seen the flop, as he re-raised the first bet pre-flop and bet straight out after the flop, the others just limped in wanting to see the flop.AA, or KK puts me right out of the hand except for hitting my 4th Q.The limpers in who are now re-raising, are on flush draws with a low possibility, or have caught their straights and are hoping to push others out. As I said, my decision would be based on my stack size, my reading of the other players, and the blind size.If i'm relatively even with the others, I'm gonna fold. Because of the after flopre-raising by everyone, I would assume that my other queen, and probably most of the K's and A's are gone.Since I have no flush draw, straight flush draw, or royal flush draw, as a back-up to my quest for a boat or 4 q's, there is no way I can call, based on my reading of the other hands, as well I should guarentee that it would cost me the full betting rounds for the turn and the river.I would only call this betting on the flop if my stack size was so substantial, the cost would be insignificant my stack.cheers,narcosleep

#57 Canada

Canada

High Priest of the Church of Perpetual Spanking

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:06 AM

View Postnarcosleep, on Saturday, July 8th, 2006, 7:22 PM, said:

My decision to fold, call or cap would depend on how big the blinds were in comparison to my stack. As well my stack size at the table compared to the other stack sizes.If the blinds are relatively low and I have a substantial stack size over the other players and calling to see the turn wouldn't really hurt my stack size, I would call to see the turn.
It's a limit cash game
"I was under the impression that if it wasn't for the moons gravitational pull the ocean would just float into the air" Loismustdiet

"I enjoy watchin people make fulls of themselves." Mattnxtc

#58 DrZebra

DrZebra

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:34 AM

View Postnarcosleep, on Saturday, July 8th, 2006, 11:22 AM, said:

I would only call this betting on the flop if my stack size was so substantial, the cost would be insignificant my stack.
Folks, this is why you play poker...
"...the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."-J.M.Keynes

#59 The Nuts

The Nuts

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:45 AM

Calling is way out of question. I'm not cold-calling that many bets. I'm either raising or folding and I don't consider my hand good enough for that. There are too many players in the pot to believe that my set could stand. It could possibly be the best hand now, but there's too much on the turn and river that could change that. If I was in a heads up, maybe even three way hand, I'd play it past the flop, but I'm not going to beat four or more players with a bottom set.
SuperUberBob: I ****ing hate this game
Zach6668: lol
Zubial: stop playing it
SuperUberBob: I like playing, just not the losing part
Zach6668: LOLZ

#60 ajsuited_jak

ajsuited_jak

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Golf, Pool, Card Games

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:23 PM

View PostDanielNegreanu, on Thursday, May 18th, 2006, 12:36 AM, said:

You are playing Omaha H/L in the big game and are dealt Q-Q-10-9 doublesuited on the button. The first player in raises and gets three callers. You also call on the button. The big blind re-raises and all players call. The flop comes A :club: K :D Q :D and you don't flop a front door or back door flush draw. The big blind bets out, the first limper raises, the second limper re-raises, and the player in the cut off seat re-raises. There is one bet left as you are playing with five bets per street. What would you do?
No brainer fold there. Especially in Omaha 8 or better. Q is only out IMO. Queens suck anyway. :icon_cool:btw 4 players = 16 cards Someone definately has flush draw and will catch it on the river. I don't think the board will pair cause everyone has at least A and/or K not to mention there is already J 10 for the straight.Like I said: No brainer FOLD!
Are You Kidding Me!! Whatever!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users