• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#41 Dirtydutch

Dirtydutch

'Skatez

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:37 AM

I like The Eagles, but "freedom, oh freedom, that's just some people talkin'", like most lyrics that people think are important, is complete drivel.

#42 bigkg

bigkg

Douchebag

• Members
  • 5,070 posts
  • Interests:IU basketball

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:55 AM

Tool is good. I don't think they are as good as a lot of people make them out to be, just my opinion. They definately don't suck.

#43 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,639 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:33 PM

View PostNikki_N, on Thursday, May 4th, 2006, 3:32 AM, said:

Reznor has a few tittie bar songs, but he is so much more than that. He is a lyrical genius. Also, he's not so much goth as BDSM. I love me the BDSM.
Didn't say he was goth, said it's mood music for fuking goth girls.... Perhaps it's the BDSM nature of NIN and Goth girls that make it such a perfect match? I don't really like NIN so much ( though alot of their songs make me laugh/ smile which I really do value, irony or not) but I love girls that love NIN. They're almost always kinky bisexual girls Above is exhibit number one.To Don : I think Rock is a dead, dead, dead *** genre that's been running on momentium for almost 20 years. The last interesting thing that happened in rock was punk. The idea of coming up with a top five rock band list bores me to think about.Here's what bothers me with rock. Rock, when it comes down to it, is pop music.For a while Rock had no problem just being pop music. But then, starting in the 60's, and exploding the 70's, rock had to become so much more than pop music. It had to be meaningful, complex progressive. A few of these experiements in complexity I enjoy, most I think are terrible. Punk got in touch with it's pop roots, because while the songs might not be fluff, punk, at it's best, was musically pop, just twisted pop. But then, punk died and sold out, and nothing in the genre has interested me at all, except the odd band here and there. It comes down to this, I don't listen to rock to figure out my lifes problems, to have some deep meaningful revelation about myself and the nature of the universe, to help establish my opinions about religion and politics. I grew out of that when I was 14. I am not emotionally attached to rock music at all. I want to he rock that walks the balance between fun and not just totally sucking. It's hard to explain, but I know it when I hear it. I really personally don't give a **** what some rock star thinks about the nature of the universe. Basically, if rock music can't make me laugh or smile, I don't want to hear it.***edit***Note: I don't think there's anything wrong at all with pop music. I love motown, belle and sebastion, and that justin timberlake solo album. I think the fact that rock has lost touch with it's pop roots, that it now sucks. ( and by pop, I mean musically pop, not pop defined as the record studio having too much influnece over the production of the rock.) Nirvana was a pop band, and not to shabby of pop band either.
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#44 DrawingDeadInDM

DrawingDeadInDM

BCS Bound

• Members
  • 18,249 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:34 PM

View Postrenaedawn, on Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006, 6:42 AM, said:

I love how people assume that anytime you disagree with them you're being bitchy no matter how many smilies and playful phrases you use.Erik, it really doesn't matter to me if you like Tool or not. That's why there's so many different kinds of music in the world. But, don't enter into a playful conversation between BigD and I with some crap about Gwen Stefani and expect everyone to suddenly bow down to your musical genius. No Doubt had maybe 3 good songs. Gwen Stefani as a solo artist is nothing but fluff. See how opinions work? We all have them. Doesn't mean you have to get your panties all in a wad everytime somebody dares to disagree with you.
Well I guess that's why I prefaced it with "Not directed at anyone in particular.." Later, I realized that BigD had actually said something quite similar without using all the dialogue. It was an observation of something I found mildly amusing--not an attack on anyone or an indignant reply to the fact that no one bowed down to my musical superiority...whose panties are in a wad..?
I'm also fed up with the common cold but I just hate to say goodbye.

#45 tripdeuces

tripdeuces

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:35 PM

I didn't read much past the original post but i ahve to say that music is everyones cup of tea but you can't deny how talented they all are in that band. Playing music in a polyrhythmic structure is nuts. And just to let you know music can only be played in MINOR OR MAJOR tonalities thats it.
PStars:mrbumpkin

#46 Don Giovanni

Don Giovanni

Custom member title

• Members
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

BigD, you need to listen to indie rock then. there are a ton of good indie rock groups that are in touch with their pop roots.

#47 renaedawn

renaedawn

Country Famous

• Members
  • 36,522 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:51 PM

View PostDrawingDeadInDM, on Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006, 3:34 PM, said:

Well I guess that's why I prefaced it with "Not directed at anyone in particular.." Later, I realized that BigD had actually said something quite similar without using all the dialogue. It was an observation of something I found mildly amusing--not an attack on anyone or an indignant reply to the fact that no one bowed down to my musical superiority...whose panties are in a wad..?
I guess mine were. I had just said that I wouldn't respect your musical opinion and that's how your fake conversation started so even though it said not directed to anyone I assumed it was directed to me.Sorry. My apologies.
I keep telling myself I'm moving on
Believing my heart was strong
But every step I take that leads me away
Just circles back to your door

Wishing I didn't love you
What I'd give if I could touch you

Wishing I didn't love you anymore

#48 DrawingDeadInDM

DrawingDeadInDM

BCS Bound

• Members
  • 18,249 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:53 PM

View Postrenaedawn, on Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006, 12:51 PM, said:

I guess mine were. I had just said that I wouldn't respect your musical opinion and that's how your fake conversation started so even though it said not directed to anyone I assumed it was directed to me.Sorry. My apologies.
Hugs?

#49 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,639 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:56 PM

View Posttripdeuces, on Thursday, May 4th, 2006, 4:35 AM, said:

I didn't read much past the original post but i ahve to say that music is everyones cup of tea but you can't deny how talented they all are in that band. Playing music in a polyrhythmic structure is nuts. And just to let you know music can only be played in MINOR OR MAJOR tonalities thats it.
again, I dont' care about poly whosists, and minor whatsits. I never denied that Maynard is talented. I wouldn't be able to judge really if ANYONE is talented, since I have little music talent myself. I can only judge what I like, and tool makes me angry and depressed to listen to. IE I hate.

View PostDon Giovanni, on Thursday, May 4th, 2006, 4:49 AM, said:

BigD, you need to listen to indie rock then. there are a ton of good indie rock groups that are in touch with their pop roots.
I live in Olympia washington, birthplace of the Riot Grrl, and home to scensters extrondinare. I hear plenty of indy rock, and most of it I don't like or hate. Just bored by.
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#50 lvpro

lvpro

GMZ

• Members
  • 10,887 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Pot Limit HOBO (Holdem, Omaha Hi, Badugi, Omaha/8)

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:59 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006, 1:56 PM, said:

I live in Olympia washington, birthplace of the Riot Grrl, and home to scensters extrondinare. I hear plenty of indy rock, and most of it I don't like or hate. Just bored by.
SLEATER-KINNEY!I hate them so much.So, so much.

#51 bigkg

bigkg

Douchebag

• Members
  • 5,070 posts
  • Interests:IU basketball

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:01 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006, 3:33 PM, said:

***edit***Note: I don't think there's anything wrong at all with pop music. I love motown, belle and sebastion, and that justin timberlake solo album. I think the fact that rock has lost touch with it's pop roots, that it now sucks. ( and by pop, I mean musically pop, not pop defined as the record studio having too much influnece over the production of the rock.) Nirvana was a pop band, and not to shabby of pop band either.
Hells yeah!!

#52 renaedawn

renaedawn

Country Famous

• Members
  • 36,522 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:14 PM

View PostDrawingDeadInDM, on Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006, 3:53 PM, said:

Hugs?
Only hugs? I was hoping for something more substantial.

#53 DrawingDeadInDM

DrawingDeadInDM

BCS Bound

• Members
  • 18,249 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:16 PM

View Postrenaedawn, on Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006, 1:14 PM, said:

Only hugs? I was hoping for something more substantial.
Well, in that case, I'll be your Huckleberry.

#54 Nikki_N

Nikki_N

FCPHA Angel

• Members
  • 31,865 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO8

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:26 PM

Reznor gets me hot.
Valar Morghulis

#55 joball33

joball33

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:10 PM

For you to say there is no creativity in rock is comical. Standard 4/4 timing with a computer to create the track is extremely creative. Meanwhile, bands that play their own instruments in 9/8, 8/8, 7/8, and sing their lyrics in Fibbonacci's sequence all in one song are not. Gotcha.

again, I dont' care about poly whosists, and minor whatsits.
So you don't care about creativity? I'm confused by your contradicting statements.

BigDMcGee said:

I don't know if it's really of the moment, anymore, but My Humps still rules.
You just lost all musical credibility with that one statement. [/thread]

#56 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,639 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:30 PM

View Postjoball33, on Thursday, May 4th, 2006, 6:10 AM, said:

For you to say there is no creativity in rock is comical. Standard 4/4 timing with a computer to create the track is extremely creative. Meanwhile, bands that play their own instruments in 9/8, 8/8, 7/8, and sing their lyrics in Fibbonacci's sequence all in one song are not. Gotcha.So you don't care about creativity? I'm confused by your contradicting statements.You just lost all musical credibility with that one statement. [/thread]
I don't know if there is or isn't musical creativity.. all I know is that it is for me unlistenable. I'm not looking for " musical cred". I don't care about time signatures, or masterbatory sequencial antics. All I know is if you locked me in a room, with a knife, and played tool on endless loop, or My humps on endless loop, I'd kill myself far faster in the Tool room.
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#57 renaedawn

renaedawn

Country Famous

• Members
  • 36,522 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:06 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006, 5:30 PM, said:

I don't know if there is or isn't musical creativity.. all I know is that it is for me unlistenable. I'm not looking for " musical cred". I don't care about time signatures, or masterbatory sequencial antics. All I know is if you locked me in a room, with a knife, and played tool on endless loop, or My humps on endless loop, I'd kill myself far faster in the Tool room.
Well, that's just like, your opinion, man. :club:

#58 CrackofmyACE

CrackofmyACE

Motorboatin' S.O.B.

• Members
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:39 PM

everyone is entitled to their own opinion....mine just happens to be right, and everyone else's is wrong
QUOTE(Royal_Tour @ Thursday, September 21st, 2006, 8:30 PM) View Post

crack, lets run away together

Hey Crack, how did you get that avatar?

#59 crowTrobot

crowTrobot

the hands of satan assembling his flock

• Members
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:13 PM

i teared up the first time i heard vicarious because it was such an intense, moving experience. to each his own OBVIOUSLY.

#60 Oziumrules

Oziumrules

Golf Professional/Poker Amateur

• Members
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:29 PM

Maynard James Keenan for President!Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users