144 replies to this topic

#21 joball33

joball33

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:12 PM

View PostMos Def, on Tuesday, May 2nd, 2006, 6:35 PM, said:

APC's 'Imagine' is better than the original. I think this is because Maynard is not a bitch.
I am one of the biggest Tool/APC fans on this forum and I will be the first to admit "Imgaine" and the rest of Emotive was garbage. Even "Passive," the best song on that album, pales in comparison to the live version they played years ago titled, "Vacant." The only reason Emotive and Amotion were made was to fill their contractual obligations (They were signed for 4 releases). Maynard has since stated that APC is all but dead. I'm not going to get into a pissing match, because I won't change anyone's opinion through a message board, but I want to address a few things:

production trick ridden
Absolutely, 100% correct. That's why they actually sound better live, right? Everyone has opinions. I feel exactly the same way about Biggie as you do about Tool. I think he sucks and is one of the most over-rated artists ever.

#22 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,639 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:22 PM

View PostCardWarfare, on Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006, 11:09 AM, said:

i assume by "first two" albums you mean undertow and aenima, which is TECHNICALLY correct since opiate was an EP...i'll agree that lateralus wasn't their BEST work,but if you can honestly listen to their new cd and tell me it's pseudointellectual crap, then i will forever discount your musical opinions. Any "music fan" who can't realize good song writingwhen they see it isnt a true music fan. and also, APC and tool are to entirely different things. I dont like apc much, but i love tool.that's the last i say in this thread, so dont bother quoting/replying . i'm getting annoyed.
I know I don't need to bother, but I will just for fun..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahaha.Yeah, tool and APC are totally different things, my bad.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHaH
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#23 renaedawn

renaedawn

Country Famous

• Members
  • 36,522 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:32 PM

View PostDrawingDeadInDM, on Tuesday, May 2nd, 2006, 5:27 PM, said:

Her solo album was actually pretty allright. Bubble gum, new waveish, poppy, silly stuff. It's like the 80's all over again.
It doesn't even matter that you said you don't like Tool. I can never respect your musical opinions again for the above statement alone.

View PostBigDMcGee, on Tuesday, May 2nd, 2006, 11:22 PM, said:

I know I don't need to bother, but I will just for fun..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahaha.Yeah, tool and APC are totally different things, my bad.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHaH
They are. In exactly the same way that Soundgarden and Audioslave and Rage Against the Machine are all completely different things.
I keep telling myself I'm moving on
Believing my heart was strong
But every step I take that leads me away
Just circles back to your door

Wishing I didn't love you
What I'd give if I could touch you

Wishing I didn't love you anymore

#24 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,639 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:33 PM

I love how emotional people get over something as subjective as music. I myself get emotion when people slight Biggie, which doesn't make any sense at all, since Rap is super, extra subjective. I'm going to haunt you in the after life, renae..yes, exactly like audioslave, soundgarden rage... sucky things by the same people that suck.I do have more of a soft spot for Rage, due to liknig them in my youth, and thinking their songs have plus ev in unintentional comedy. Killing in the Name makes me laugh hysterically.Nothing by APC or tool makes me laugh. it only makes me want to hurt myself and others.
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#25 renaedawn

renaedawn

Country Famous

• Members
  • 36,522 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:49 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Tuesday, May 2nd, 2006, 11:33 PM, said:

I love how emotional people get over something as subjective as music. I myself get emotion when people slight Biggie, which doesn't make any sense at all, since Rap is super, extra subjective. I'm going to haunt you in the after life, renae..yes, exactly like audioslave, soundgarden rage... sucky things by the same people that suck.I do have more of a soft spot for Rage, due to liknig them in my youth, and thinking their songs have plus ev in unintentional comedy. Killing in the Name makes me laugh hysterically.Nothing by APC or tool makes me laugh. it only makes me want to hurt myself and others.
Good. Then I will continue to feel musically smug around you. :club:

#26 DrawingDeadInDM

DrawingDeadInDM

BCS Bound

• Members
  • 18,249 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:13 PM

Not directed at anyone in particular..but..I find it astounding that people get so worked up when you say you don't like the same kind of music/band/genre that they do. I've had a variation of this conversation multiple times..."I'm really not a fan of (insert band).""Ahhh, man, you're fucked up. How could you not like them?""I just don't.""Well, it's better than the shit you listen to.""Well, not in my opinion, obviously.""(Your favorite band) sucks.""Okay..""No, really, I'll never respect another thing you say..""Okay..""You're stupid..""Okay..""Wait, seriously? You don't like (Insert mortified fan's favorite band)?""No--really.""Fuck, man..whatever."
I'm also fed up with the common cold but I just hate to say goodbye.

#27 augmented

augmented

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:music (guitar, violin, sonwriting, composing), poker, and not getting girls.
  • Favorite Poker Game:nlhe

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:22 PM

tool is so good, if you dont like them its cause you are dim-witted and obviously just dont understand their genius.sw, but tool kicks ***. 2nd best band.
Q. What do a fence, an autistic korean, and a stop sign have in common?

A. I'm all in.

#28 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,639 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:26 PM

View Postrenaedawn, on Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006, 12:49 PM, said:

Good. Then I will continue to feel musically smug around you. :club:
Well, that's better than being dead to you...You know who else sucks?The Eagles.Worst band of all time.
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#29 lvpro

lvpro

GMZ

• Members
  • 10,887 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Pot Limit HOBO (Holdem, Omaha Hi, Badugi, Omaha/8)

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:28 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Tuesday, May 2nd, 2006, 10:26 PM, said:

You know who else sucks?The Eagles.Worst band of all time.
Get the fuck outta my cab!Big Lebowski anyone?

#30 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,639 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:29 PM

View Postlvpro, on Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006, 1:28 PM, said:

Get the fuck outta my cab!Big Lebowski anyone?
Come on, man, not the fking eagles man... I've had a bad day.
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#31 nopunk

nopunk

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:52 PM

View PostMos Def, on Tuesday, May 2nd, 2006, 8:35 PM, said:

APC's 'Imagine' is better than the original. I think this is because Maynard is not a bitch.
This is like 47 kinds of wrong.That's like saying the Dolly Parton of Stairway is better than Zeppelin's.Wrong.

View PostBigDMcGee, on Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006, 12:26 AM, said:

View PostBigDMcGee, on Tuesday, May 2nd, 2006, 11:33 PM, said:

yes, exactly like audioslave, soundgarden rage... sucky things by the same people that suck.
Same thing.Wrong.If you honestly believe this, then I have but one word for you: emo.Go listen to some *****, white, middle-class emo music.No way thats worse than the Eagles.

#32 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,639 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:24 PM

View Postnopunk, on Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006, 2:52 PM, said:

If you honestly believe this, then I have but one word for you: emo.Go listen to some *****, white, middle-class emo music.No way thats worse than the Eagles.
I think you mean, no way that's better than the eagles. Belive me, I do hate emo too. But the vast amount of records they've sold, the amount of airplay they still get, their massive, oppressive popularity, their combination of two styles of music ( rock and country) taking everything that is good about both, and flushing it down the toliet and watering it down, the faux sentimentality, and the song Desperado, all equal the worst band of all time.Worst bands of all time ( and by worse, I mean bands I hate the most, not the actually worst musically. I don't know much about music theory, I Can only offer my own opinion.)Some notes before I list, I think the bands have to be hugely popular, and have stood the test of time in their popularity, or they can't be on the list. There are proably worse bands than these, but their crappiness combined with popularity makes the the worst ever.The EaglesMetalicaToolAerosmithJourney
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#33 timwakefield

timwakefield

I haven't got the time time

• Members
  • 14,413 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:42 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Tuesday, May 2nd, 2006, 9:26 PM, said:

2nd
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#34 DrawingDeadInDM

DrawingDeadInDM

BCS Bound

• Members
  • 18,249 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:52 AM

View Posttimwakefield, on Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006, 1:42 AM, said:

2nd
3rd.
I'm also fed up with the common cold but I just hate to say goodbye.

#35 renaedawn

renaedawn

Country Famous

• Members
  • 36,522 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:42 AM

View PostDrawingDeadInDM, on Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006, 12:13 AM, said:

Not directed at anyone in particular..but..I find it astounding that people get so worked up when you say you don't like the same kind of music/band/genre that they do. I've had a variation of this conversation multiple times..."I'm really not a fan of (insert band).""Ahhh, man, you're fucked up. How could you not like them?""I just don't.""Well, it's better than the shit you listen to.""Well, not in my opinion, obviously.""(Your favorite band) sucks.""Okay..""No, really, I'll never respect another thing you say..""Okay..""You're stupid..""Okay..""Wait, seriously? You don't like (Insert mortified fan's favorite band)?""No--really.""Fuck, man..whatever."
I love how people assume that anytime you disagree with them you're being bitchy no matter how many smilies and playful phrases you use.Erik, it really doesn't matter to me if you like Tool or not. That's why there's so many different kinds of music in the world. But, don't enter into a playful conversation between BigD and I with some crap about Gwen Stefani and expect everyone to suddenly bow down to your musical genius. No Doubt had maybe 3 good songs. Gwen Stefani as a solo artist is nothing but fluff. See how opinions work? We all have them. Doesn't mean you have to get your panties all in a wad everytime somebody dares to disagree with you.

#36 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:49 AM

I tend to agree with the OP. It's self-indulgent tripe coupled with solid marketing to a generation that desperately needs something "alternative" to embrace. It's simply corporate rock in another form, the American Idol of Goth-Alt. Almost as bad as Phish and their endless, pointless noodling.
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

#37 Don Giovanni

Don Giovanni

Custom member title

• Members
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:34 AM

haha ok BigD, lets hear you top 5 bands, rock bands, no rap.

#38 Dirtydutch

Dirtydutch

'Skatez

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:16 AM

Tool sucks, but I hate every rock record since Shake Your Moneymaker, and I hate every record between that and... I don't even know... I like Aerosmith.

#39 Nikki_N

Nikki_N

FCPHA Angel

• Members
  • 31,865 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO8

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:32 AM

Reznor has a few tittie bar songs, but he is so much more than that. He is a lyrical genius. Also, he's not so much goth as BDSM. I love me the BDSM."A thousand lips, a thousand tongues, a thousand hearts, a thousand lungs, a thousand ways to make it true. I want to do terrible things to you.""Now I'm somewhere I am not supposed to be and I can see things I never really thought I'd see. And now I know why, now I know why things aren't as pretty on the inside.""The sooner we realize, we cover ourselves in lies, but underneath we're not so tough. Love is not enough."Desperado is a fantastic song. I like the Eagles well enough, but they are not my favorite. Desperado, though is so many men, epitomized. That's maybe why men hate it. "It seems to me some fine things have been layed upon your table, but you only want the ones you can't get.""And freedom, oh freedom, that's just some people talkin'. Your prison is walking through this world all alone."
Valar Morghulis

#40 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:34 AM

I like NIN.I drag you down, I use you up...Mr Self-Destruct!Great song.
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users