Quiz Question #15

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Stud 8 (238 member(s) have cast votes)

What is Your Move?

1. Call (122 votes [51.26%])

Percentage of vote: 51.26%

2. Raise (104 votes [43.70%])

Percentage of vote: 43.70%

3. Fold (12 votes [5.04%])

Percentage of vote: 5.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 shpaget

shpaget

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,603 posts
  • Interests:beer

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:28 PM

View PostOblivious, on Monday, April 17th, 2006, 9:01 PM, said:

Worst advice ever. You will not end up in a raising war between 1 and 3, since they know theyre competing against each other for half the pot on the high side. This hand has enough scoop potential and if you raise AQ could call two cold. Youre way ahead of all your opponents for at least half of a multiway pot. Folding is terrible. Raising charges player 2 to draw against you for a low and charges player one the maximum to beat player 3 if he does indeed have split queens.
Perhaps - personally, I think the worst advice ever was when the Decca executive told Elvis "go back to driving a truck because you're never gonna be a singer"...or when another Decca executive told The Beatles "guitar groups are on the way out."Luckily I don't work for Decca.Player 1, if you call, may indeed raise, with the express purpose of getting you (or at least player 2) out of the pot...and player 3 may also reraise for the same reason...they'd rather fight each other for a full pot than fight each other AND you for half a pot. They want you out.Remember, no 8 or better hand, no hi/lo split. Calling is the worst option here.If you raise (my second choice) this may reduce the chances of player 1 and 3 coming back at you...the extra bet helps ensure you're not having to call two extra bets (unless you're against AAQQ and 999). The problem is, a raise may chase player 1 and 2, leaving you playing against player 3 for half the pot, and you haven't hit your hand yet.If you raise and player 1 and 3 call...great. And if you roll a K or an 8 on 5th street and player 3 leads out again, now what?Regardless, I'd still like more information...1. you don't know how many people started the hand and what their door cards were2. you don't know if player 3's bet is a small bet or a big bet OR does this rule only apply to 7-card stud? I thought it also applied to hi-lo3. I'm also willing to bet that Player 2 has two of your low outs.You're playing to draw to half the pot, and give what ever weight you want to the two backdoor draws you have - a call may become expensive, and a raise may isolate you...you want neither.Like I said, if you're last to act here it's different...2nd to act, after a bet, with the original raiser behind you, I still like a fold, regardless of the answer.And, that may be why I'm not a millionnaire from stud/8 or better.
"Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

#42 grocery_mony

grocery_mony

^Douchebag^

• Members
  • 9,082 posts
  • Interests:poker,money

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:27 PM

i would raise. i dont play stud8 very much and havent read anything on it but if i have a good low hand i start to stuff the pot and hope to scoop with a flush or a straight and also make the others pay for there draws

#43 sloshr

sloshr

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:mixed, esp with badugi

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:29 PM

I just call here. You are likely to wind up with half the pot, so therefore want as many people contributing as possible. You don't want to get it heads up with the nines. Better to let them in to chase the high. If the T7 calls even one bet here with a low draw only, he is making a big mistake, so I say let him. He will probably muck anyway unless he has at least a buried pair bigger than 9s.I can't believe 6 people voted for fold. Call on 3rd, catch almost perfect and give up? These people need to stick to holdem. I can understand raising, but folding would never cross my mind.

#44 blakheart

blakheart

Bankroll manangement???

• Members
  • 1,968 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Any I can beat

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:27 PM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Monday, April 17th, 2006, 8:09 PM, said:

This is the worst post I've read all day. Granted, I've only read one post. The last thing you should do in this situation is fold.
I assume you meant to quote the post after mine, since you agree with my opinion.

#45 sm9145

sm9145

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:48 PM

i would raise representing 4 to a flush and a low draw. this will give you a chance to to scoop the pot if the a club falls on a later street.

#46 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,322 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:24 PM

View Postsm9145, on Tuesday, April 18th, 2006, 7:48 PM, said:

i would raise representing 4 to a flush and a low draw. this will give you a chance to to scoop the pot if the a club falls on a later street.
Did I misread the question? This is not Hi/Lo is it?Anyway... I would raise.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

#47 grocery_mony

grocery_mony

^Douchebag^

• Members
  • 9,082 posts
  • Interests:poker,money

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

[quote name='DanielNegreanu' date='Friday, April 14th, 2006, 10:06 AM' post='992745']You are playing in a stud 8 ring game.

#48 Oblivious

Oblivious

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:41 PM

Why are so many of the "call" proponents assuming that if you raise, players 1 and 2 will fold, and if you call, players 1 and 2 will call? This is a pretty bad assumption, and it seems many of their arguments are based upon it.edited to say:maybe if you raise, suckers 1 and 2 will call... and maybe if you call, suckers 1 and 2 will fold

#49 compncards

compncards

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:26 AM

First off Daniel, there is not enough info in regards to suits etc for me to make a total educated opinion, but just by what you gave us, my reasoning is as follows. First on third street Q raised, probably with at least Q's. I figure him right now to only have 2 low cards max at this point. 7 probably has 2 other low cards and there is an outside chance he might raise. The 9's are likely to hold either a set or 2 pair at current so unless the 7 10 or QA raises, you can save a little money on this street. Also your hand right now you only have a 3 flush and a weak low with an 8 low. The fact tht 7 caught a brick on 4th is good for your hand but you will want to proceed with caution. I really would like to know the 5th street cards in this one to proceed further. If 7 catches any low card other than 8 that does not pair him, figure him on a better low draw. Raising is only going to open the door for a reraise and maybe even a cap if QA likes his hand or has A's hidden or even if he catches 2 pair. Now I will say this....if 7 didnt catch a 10 and for instance caught a 6 or 5...i would consider folding. But I would have to know the player better holding the 7.
NL Holdem Hi Low, with the Low side based on Razz rules. Now THAT would be action folks.

#50 iggymcfly

iggymcfly

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,654 posts
  • Interests:Poker, football, sitting on my ass

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:17 AM

I'm not going to read all the replies, but I think the best move is to raise here. We're probably not up against trip nines, since I don't see an elite player calling a raise from a queen with just split nines in a Stud 8 game. We're probably up against split queens and nines with a three-flush. Also, if we raise everyone's going to assume that in addition to a low draw, we probably have a four-flush, since that's the hand we'd likely value-raise in that spot. That way, if we do hit another club we can bluff out the players going for high who might think their one pair is drawing dead.Finally, if we're looking to get action from the queens, I don't see this making much of a difference. They'll know that we're drawing regardless, and they'll make their decision on whether or not to call based on whether they think the player with the nine really has trips or not.
Lady luck's my fuck-buddy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users