• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Acesgotcracked

Acesgotcracked

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 10:05 AM

I was just curious if anyone else thought the small blinds play made sense here. Depending on where in the tournament we were, if I was the BB and I saw the SB limp in with the short short stack, i'd push him all in because, 1. gives you an opportunity to knock out another player who is probably not pakcing to much at all. 2. Althought it would not be a good play he might just go ahead and fold just because he doesen't want to go down with the two raggedy cards in his hand. The SB clearly wants to be able to see a cheap flop so dont let him, make him make a difficult decision, knowing that if he does call you probably wont even be at an overwhelming disadvantage to win the race.

#22 cashinnow

cashinnow

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:36 PM

Come on, what do you know about poker Daniel!! You said so yourself you lost to a bunch of kids in a $10.00 home game. LOL. Great question, can't wait for the next one.
You can't have a cheeseburger without cheese!!!

#23 techlava

techlava

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:12 AM

Daniel, My thinking for this question goes back to the quote "The key to No Limit Hold'em is to put a man in a decision for all of his chips" If you plan on doing it anyway if the SB checks on the flop, why wait?I now see where my thinking was wrong, and your reminder of difference when playing tournement poker was the key. I have 2 questions that weren't answered in the summery1: Are players in the money yet, is it a bubble situation?2: What the heck are you doing on the short stack? :)PS: what did you think of that DUI clip?-Mike

#24 looshle

looshle

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 10:26 PM

When I read the question I started thinking about how the small blind would come into this hand. It all depends on what type of the player in the small blind is. I understand that if you move the small blind all in, more often than not he would end up calling. Also, in a lot of situations, the small blind may only have a marginal hand. So right, now we are only a 2:1 dog. He also may just be attempting to see a cheap flop. So, as I was saying, everyone knows to play aggresively when you are short stacked, so if I was the small blind, and I called the bet, I would be committing my stack 100% to this hand. I think the small blind has a significant advantage for being first to act on the flop. My strategy would be to move all in no matter what flop comes down, because it would be hard for the big blind to call if he misses completely. If he calls, oh well, because I'm still getting all 5 cards I would have gotten if I had called all in preflop. I think by letting the small blind see the flop and the ironic advantage of acting first may only hurt our chances, because as the big blind, we may somehow be ahead (not likely with 9 high but an acute possibility) or we may be just up against a high card with a straight draw as well as missing 2 opportunies to pair up on turn and river. I think by checking preflop, we may very well be taking 2 cards away from ourselves and giving the other player the chance to bluff us out.

#25 whirleymob

whirleymob

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 02:09 PM

well everyone agrees that they would call an allin at this point with a 9/7 preflop if the sb had moved allin so the correct move has to be for you to move allin preflop. being the aggressor may cause the sb to fold, wich he wont do if you check. checking also shows alot of weakness in your hand, so most of the time this player will move allin on the flop if he hits it or not and its hard to call on a flop that you missed since calling off 2000 chips with a 9 high is almost never a good decision reguardless of the pot size, so getting the money in preflop will allow you to see all five cards. More than likely your opponent WILL call, which is fine since in this situation you are simply willing to gamble a small portion of yor stack in a situation where 1. you most likely have two live cards making you only a small underdog to all hands accept a pair 7's or better 2. you have a chance to knock out a player moving you one step closer to a win 3. the pot is giving you a great price 4. you arent giving the short stacked player many chips he wins, even though you are "doubling him up" in reality you are only giving him 2000 extra chips.

#26 BC4Jesus

BC4Jesus

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Poker, DVD's, The Bible

Posted 07 May 2005 - 12:15 PM

Where is quiz question #1? I can't find it anywhere in this section, only the answer.
In Christ,
BOB C.

#27 DanielNegreanu

DanielNegreanu

Poker Forum Veteran

• Root Admin
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 12:41 PM

I accidently ereased it but will re-post it soon...
Posted Image

#28 BC4Jesus

BC4Jesus

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Poker, DVD's, The Bible

Posted 07 May 2005 - 12:57 PM

Thanks! I'll be watching for it.
In Christ,
BOB C.

#29 Kardplayer

Kardplayer

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:No limit Hold'em; MMORPGs; golf

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:47 PM

On May 7th you said it would be soon...can we expect it sooner? =)

#30 donk4life

donk4life

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:35 PM

I understand.

View Postakashenk, on 02 August 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

I don't mind folding out hands we beat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users