• Please log in to reply
263350 replies to this topic

#263281 Essay21

Essay21

forum legend

• Members
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

Sorry, took me awhile to clean out my office.

I WISH.

Essentially what thy did is create a meaningless layer of red tape where there was none. I have an admin officer, she works with only me on all my accounts. Before today, we shared a boss, the trust manager. Now my admin person, the person who I work most closely with, that speaks to my clients for me or in my place if I am not available, has a new boss, which is a brand new position created for unknowable reasons. This new position will manage trust support, investment support and sales support so that all the support staff can have one boss.

Itís ludicrously stupid, but thatís life in a big company.

#263282 Napa Lite

Napa Lite

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:29 AM

Fvckin companies, man. I just got out of a meeting where I was lauded for being so good at my job that people who shouldnít be coming to me for help are and thatís a problem. And of course nothing was resolved or decided except an addition of a monthly meeting to go over some amount of stuff, or something.

#263283 MisterB

MisterB

I still wear big belt buckles.

• Members
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:11 AM

Today is Beanís And Icewaterís 47th Birthday.

Happy Birthday!
QUOTE(JoeyJoJo @ Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 7:21 PM) View Post
MisterB - Tired of getting b-bombed? Well now you can return the favor! With MisterB in the calendar, you'll have at least 30 days to practice your technique. A vote for MisterB is a vote for big belt buckles everywhere.

#263284 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

once and future king

• Members
  • 24,960 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

may he rest in peace.

another shitty saturday. KU loses again, and its bitter cold out making me not want to leave the house. i am rematching LOST though. season 1 was so good.
Spoiler

#263285 Napa Lite

Napa Lite

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:26 PM

Huh, thatís weird. I had a good day with Iowa State beating OU. Some friends are hosting an Olympics party tonight. Inexplicably, none of the events involve alcohol other than drinking for drinkingís sake. I will be representing Canada. Going jeans with a long sleeve chambray shirt (HI RON), with a cutoff flannel shirt over it and suspenders. Bought a case of Labatt Blue to drink.

#263286 Essay21

Essay21

forum legend

• Members
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:04 PM

Jesus, a guy moves to liberal ass Minnesota and becomes a Canadian. This is dangerous.

#263287 Napa Lite

Napa Lite

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:36 PM

Sorrey

#263288 Ron_Mexico

Ron_Mexico

You mess with the bull, you'll get the horns

• Members
  • 33,118 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:30 AM

Napa es en Fuego
I make $31,000 dollars a year and I have a home.

#263289 Essay21

Essay21

forum legend

• Members
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:21 AM

Or is he as cool as the other side of the pillow? I like to think so anyways.

#263290 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

once and future king

• Members
  • 24,960 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:36 AM

i'd forgotten how good LOST season 1 was. it really was a great show. seasons 2 and 3 are fantastic as well. I'm having a hard time remembering the rest besides the ending. i know time travel was involved and i think that is probably where we went off the tracks.
Spoiler

#263291 Theraflu

Theraflu

I like beer.

• Members
  • 7,123 posts
  • Interests:Addictions

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:22 PM

It was more the attempts to scientifically/mythically explain time travel. And then just punting that season and a half of explanation it with the ending.
I'd lend a hand, but it's stuck in the fist and gun position.

#263292 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

I've only seen the first 3 episodes of lost, and the final episode. As someone who had zero expectations or investment in the ending of the show, I enjoyed the final episode.
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#263293 Essay21

Essay21

forum legend

• Members
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

I didnít mind the ending per se. they just made some mistakes along the way that made the ending worse.

#263294 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:17 PM

Did some work on my annual review tonight. Itís another four months away, but my boss made some offhand comments last week about me being bogged down in too many projects, not finishing anything... clearly feedback Iím going to hear in my review.

I went through my calendar and sent emails going back to July and documented all the big initiatives I worked on. Having done this exercise, I feel really good about this upcoming review season. I am going to start doing this on a monthly basis to capture it all while itís still fresh.

I have done some version of this review each year for the last few years. Itís probably overkill compared to what everyone else does, but I donít miss any details, and the ROI on it is probably the highest of anything I work on.

How does everyone else do it?
QUOTE (Spademan @ Thursday, April 5th, 2012, 2:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.

#263295 Napa Lite

Napa Lite

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:51 PM

In the past I would just keep a very brief journal of projects and stuff and it worked because I was never that busy. For the most part reviews were always a joke and didnít need much effort on my part. Maybe half an hour of putting pen to paper and bitching about how stupid this all is.

This new job though since Iím always working on five different things (and have got the same feedback you have about never actually finishing projects) Iíve been keeping a mostly daily journal of what I worked on and another spreadsheet of quote unquote projects with statuses, updates, timelines, needs and the such. Itís very uncomplicated and has really been for my own benefit and I didnít really tell anybody thatís what I do but my boss mentioned heíd like us to get some more formalized tracking system down so I guess Iíll have to make it presentable.

#263296 hank213

hank213

inventor of the tactical turtleneck..the tactilneck

• Members
  • 9,549 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:44 PM

I've done daily journal entries and should get back in the habit. We also do "4x4" goal setting. Essentially quarterly worksheets which highlight major accomplishments of mine from the previous quarter, my goals for the upcoming quarter, as well as any obstacles I might foresee and how my manager might be able to facilitate said goals. About half the time I'm not really too enthused for 4x4 time but it does help come merit increase or bonus time. I also do weekly 1on1s with manager using the manager tools format and I take notes during that so it's decent reference material as well.
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

#263297 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, I'm being told to work inside of a very simplified project tracking system now. I was previously just bringing a paper agenda with all the things going on, and my boss made some irritating comments about it being printed, along with the vague criticism about finishing projects. The tracking system was only made available to upper management, so it was just generally obnoxious on my boss' part.

I'm looking at Villanova's Six Sigma Green Belt certificate, and the continuing education requirement is just asinine. $4400/3yrs to maintain the certificate. There's no way my company will pay for that.
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.

#263298 Napa Lite

Napa Lite

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:26 AM

Yeah, that sounds like a lot and I have questions about how useful it would be in a non-production environment.

One thing Iím trying to get better at is not using my mouse when working in excel. Keyboard shortcuts are just so much faster and a lot more impressive when people see you working.

#263299 Napa Lite

Napa Lite

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:33 AM

Oh, I ended up pairing up with a girl dressed as ďUSAĒ on Saturday night to form the North American coalition. We came in 3rd overall out of 9 teams. It was fun. I donít know how it ended up points wise but we got robbed in one event because the rules were unclear. Basically, you had a pile of hexagonal nuts and then you had to use a skewer to stack them as high as you could in a minute. A few teams had gone before us and the highest recorded score so far was 5 and so I got 6 on my first attempt but knocked it down going for 7 and wasnít able to do any better. My teammate got 3. Then weíre told it only counts if it lasts until the end of the minute (which was not in the rules because I would have just stopped at 6 or at the very least been a lot more careful going for 7) so my 6 was DQíd and I had to go again and didnít do better than 3.

We had a medal ceremony where the medals were shot bottles of booze with bronze (it was actually copper but close enough), silver, and gold.

Got a lot of laughs with my ďsorreyĒ bit to the point where everyone was eventually saying it. The events took about an hour and then it just devolved into our normal party of taking turns playing YouTube videos on the tv while having a dance party until 3:30 am. It was a fun time.

#263300 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:09 AM

Napa Lite, on 12 February 2018 - 05:26 AM, said:

Yeah, that sounds like a lot and I have questions about how useful it would be in a non-production environment.

One thing Iím trying to get better at is not using my mouse when working in excel. Keyboard shortcuts are just so much faster and a lot more impressive when people see you working.
A bigwig at our custodian basically told me I need to do it. He is in the same boat, optimizing service with the production mindset.

I may just pitch doing the green belt to start, with the intention of letting it expire.

22 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users