• Please log in to reply
262875 replies to this topic

#262741 Napa_Don

Napa_Don

I'm Your Huckleberry

• Members
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:51 PM

If I had to buy a house today this is like, the only one I could afford that I would consider.

https://www.zillow.c.../?fullpage=true

#262742 hank213

hank213

inventor of the tactical turtleneck..the tactilneck

• Members
  • 9,517 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:23 PM

View PostNapa_Don, on 02 November 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

If I had to buy a house today this is like, the only one I could afford that I would consider.

Does MN have first time buyer programs? When I was buying here in the great sta...hahahaha...here in nebraska, I found an outfit called NIFA whose rates for first time home buyers were about .75-1% lower than most brokers/banks on traditional 30-year fixed. They also offered a shorter term loan at a super low rate to help go towards a down payment for those who didn't have the typical 20% or even close to it. I didn't partake in that particular program, I just bit the bullet and paid PMI for a couple years since I had like 17% for a down payment.

Good idea going for a 3 bdrm, much more desirable for the "first time/young family" buyers come resale time. You know the first thing you do after you move in? Nothing. See how you're going to live in it before you start with the projects/renovations etc. Unless of course you buy a fixer upper. I'm excited for ya buddy. Happy hunting.
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

#262743 Theraflu

Theraflu

I like beer.

• Members
  • 7,067 posts
  • Interests:Addictions

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:24 PM

Yes, you really have it tough, with decent livable housing under 200k.

This is the closest thing I could compare to in my area. 1 less bedroom, 1 less bathroom, 160 fewer sq ft. 35k more.

https://www.zillow.c...505_rect/11_zm/
I'd lend a hand, but it's stuck in the fist and gun position.

#262744 Napa_Don

Napa_Don

I'm Your Huckleberry

• Members
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

View Posthank213, on 02 November 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

Does MN have first time buyer programs? When I was buying here in the great sta...hahahaha...here in nebraska, I found an outfit called NIFA whose rates for first time home buyers were about .75-1% lower than most brokers/banks on traditional 30-year fixed. They also offered a shorter term loan at a super low rate to help go towards a down payment for those who didn't have the typical 20% or even close to it. I didn't partake in that particular program, I just bit the bullet and paid PMI for a couple years since I had like 17% for a down payment.

Good idea going for a 3 bdrm, much more desirable for the "first time/young family" buyers come resale time. You know the first thing you do after you move in? Nothing. See how you're going to live in it before you start with the projects/renovations etc. Unless of course you buy a fixer upper. I'm excited for ya buddy. Happy hunting.

Yeah, MN has a first time home buyers thing and the rates aren't any better but they do have a 10 year down payment loan (at the same rate as your mortgage). I, however, make too much for the real helpful programs so i'm basically SOL in that department. I'm probabably going to have to end up renting for a year or so until I can save up enough for a decent-er house because I can't expect my income to rise significantly anytime soon to be able to afford the monthly payments on a more expensive house. Hopefully I don't just end up in a continuous loop of being outpriced for a home.

Edit: "but you knew houses were more expensive in mpls" Yes, but I also was planning on having at least another 8 months of cheap rent to save some real money with. And the housing market just completely dried up recently.

#262745 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,674 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

View Postbrvheart, on 01 November 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

Big D: What's your honest opinion of Norm McDonald on Twitter? Long con?

Don't know what you mean by long con, I think he's just a weirdo.
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#262746 CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue

The Outlier

• Members
  • 10,374 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold 'Em, Crazy Pineapple, 2-7 TD

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:48 PM

So I'm not entirely clear which it was, but the #2 either left or was fired. Point is, she gone.

...which means I'm the highest ranking employee of a dumpster fire now.

It actually has been okay this week. I even felt comfortable with my fancy title for probably the first time after making a management call. With that said, have fired back up on job searching. Gotta think I'll probably double my hourly on the next jump.

#262747 Ron_Mexico

Ron_Mexico

You mess with the bull, you'll get the horns

• Members
  • 33,060 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:48 AM

View PostTheraflu, on 02 November 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

Yes, you really have it tough, with decent livable housing under 200k.

This is the closest thing I could compare to in my area. 1 less bedroom, 1 less bathroom, 160 fewer sq ft. 35k more.

https://www.zillow.c...505_rect/11_zm/

On the bright side, youíre about to start having $300 gas bills for the next 5 months.
I make $31,000 dollars a year and I have a home.

#262748 Ron_Mexico

Ron_Mexico

• Members
  • 33,060 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:53 AM

I like that place. Kitchen floor is...interesting, need new appliances, bathroom vanity is that shitty tile, but all of that is a simple fix. Nice detached garage and a shed in the back for your workspace. Yard looks big and fenced, which Iím totes jelly. Since the garage is back there, itís probably not completely secure (I am putting it through my prism of needing a closed yard for Bruno and Lola)

Buying will be cheaper than renting if nothing breaks. You could get a roommate who ends up paying 75% of the mortgage until youíre ready to go it alone

#262749 Ron_Mexico

Ron_Mexico

• Members
  • 33,060 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:54 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on 02 November 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

Don't know what you mean by long con, I think he's just a weirdo.

I unfollowed a while back. Either heís a super weird or just trying way too hard to be irreverent

#262750 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:01 AM

Are you planning on staying in MPLS for at least five years? My original roomie was just paying his mortgage with my rent, it seemed like a great arrangement because he genuinely wanted the company. I would never do that personally, but you like your bros, I can tell.

At least so far, I feel like I made the right call with my condo. I wasnít going to be happy permanently in a place less than $300k, and I didnít have even close to enough salary for that at the time.
QUOTE (Spademan @ Thursday, April 5th, 2012, 2:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.

#262751 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:05 AM

I think you should get pre-approved and get a realtor to send you automated MLS listings based on your criteria. I felt like Zillow was just the aged inventory, not representative of what was getting listed and snapped up in 1-2 days. The market was totally different under the surface, and I was more on top of changes due to the MLS notices.
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.

#262752 Napa Lite

Napa Lite

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:11 AM

I have no intention to ever move out of MPLS.

I wouldn't be against a roommate, at least temporarily, but basically all my friends already own a house or have a long term gf that they live with. The two unattached bros who I would consider living with already have their own place, so, any roommate would probably end up being a random...which, I'm not super into.

The only problem with the above house is that there's only one bathroom on the main floor. The other is in the basement. Which, living by myself is fine, but if I had a roommate idk how thrilled they'd be about having their bathroom be downstairs. Granted, right now I live in the basement and my bathroom is on the main floor and it's not a huge deal.

And the backyard isn't fully fenced in, but, whatever, that's an easy enough fix. I already have a in ground fence I could use until I could afford a real fence.

That's a good idea about the realtor. I did notice some listings on a realtors site that weren't on zillow yesterday.

#262753 hank213

hank213

• Members
  • 9,517 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:17 PM

zillow is nice for dipping your toe in the water but it's not for real players, it's basically the floor of real estate shopping not the ceiling. if you're serious, realtor listings are much better and if you're 100% committed and ready then ask your bros for a realtor they trust to act as buyer's agent and, like Ronny mentioned, get pre-approved.
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

#262754 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,674 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:35 PM

View PostRon_Mexico, on 03 November 2017 - 04:54 AM, said:

I unfollowed a while back. Either he's a super weird or just trying way too hard to be irreverent

No, he's just super weird. Everything I've ever read about him, he's extremely eccentric
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

#262755 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:53 PM

View Posthank213, on 03 November 2017 - 03:17 PM, said:

zillow is nice for dipping your toe in the water but it's not for real players, it's basically the floor of real estate shopping not the ceiling. if you're serious, realtor listings are much better and if you're 100% committed and ready then ask your bros for a realtor they trust to act as buyer's agent and, like Ronny mentioned, get pre-approved.
I said that, not Ron wtf

#262756 Ron_Mexico

Ron_Mexico

• Members
  • 33,060 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

View PostInternetExplorer, on 03 November 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

I said that, not Ron wtf

CANT I HAVE ANYTHING?

#262757 hank213

hank213

• Members
  • 9,517 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

View PostInternetExplorer, on 03 November 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

I said that, not Ron wtf
I'm looking forward to senility. I think it's going to be a really smooth transition for me.

#262758 mrfritz

mrfritz

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:25 PM

IOWA HAWKEYES FOOTBALL
This is my first rodeo

#262759 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,329 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:52 PM

Love it. You shouldn't definitely get a realtor working for you, but this is a nice house for your situation.

View PostRon_Mexico, on 03 November 2017 - 04:54 AM, said:

Either he's a super weird or just trying way too hard to be irreverent

That's the feeling I get. It seems like he's being weird for the sake of being weird. Which is weird. It's hard to Andy Kaufman on Twitter, but he's doing it.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

#262760 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,674 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:54 PM

Counter point: buy an empty lot, and build a tiny house. I love tiny houses so much, I am obsessed with them.
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

-Lebron James

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users