phily ivey not marketable? racial?

i was wondering why phil doesnt have anything going except with his playing at full tilt...phil is clean cut and he seems like a nice guy...why doesnt he get any endorsements? is it because he is black? now DN gets a video game,book coming out,dvd, WYNN, cameos in movies, and alot more.....IVY has had a great 2005..maybe just as good as DNs 2004...so why no love? again i ask..is it because he is black?If he was white...i think he would have so much more...dont get me wrong..i like ivey and the way he plays and even talked to him on a few occasions and he is really nice and rooting for him 100%...hey, maybe he doesnt want it, i dont know...but who wouldnt want a few extra million from endorsements...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he just likes playing poker and making as much money as possible from actually playing poker, and doesn't have interest in anything else and doesn't need the money I believe. Also, if he was unmarketable it would be because he doesn't speak at the table and seems pretty normal and unexciting.

I don't believe for a second that poker endorsements are reaching into the multi-millions yet. Most players are happy endorsing a site in return for that site paying their buyins. DN is easily the most marketable player out there, because he's a friendly dude who happens to be an excellent player. Ivey doesn't strike me as the most approachable guy in the world, and probably isn't interested in endorsements that aren't 7 figures plus. I guess the easy way to put it is, Hellmuth needs the money from his books, Ivey doesnt. I doubt very much that it's a race thing.

Phil is known as a very private person and he ususally only likes to devote his time to playing poker. Do some serches in Daniel's articles, he writes about him sometimes.

PersonalityIt's that simple. I know Phil is a nice guy but when was the last time you heard him say more than one sentence in an on camera interview. Daniel and others meanwhile are more animated. I would venture to say that if he wanted it, and reflected that on camera and in trying to get more endorsements/business going, then he would have more than anyone.So to answer your question, no, it's not because he's black

Why does it always have to be about Race? If you had done any research, you'd have already answered your own question. Surely that's the only legit answer right? It doesn't have anything at all to do with Mr. Ivey's own wishes right?

he is very serious and dosent goof around at the table...not that there is anything wrong with it, but its not his style, so he comes of as "boring" to the poker pop world, thats probably why...and im sure its also partly his choice...if phil ivey wrote a book, im sure there would be a lot of people intrested in buying it...dont know y you are bringing race into it?

He isn't in this game for the fame or noteriety, he is in it for the money all the way. He doesn't do any self promotion whatsoever
Sounds like he just isn't interested in the endorsements and all that stuff.

It isn't about race, it is about personality. Daniel is a much more marketable person because of his outward personality. Phil Ivey may be the best in the world at what he does, but he doesn't play with much personality. He lets him game do the talking.For example, in the world series of poker main event this year you saw on one of the last episodes a table with Mike Matusow and a bunch of nobodies. Of course they could have shown the table where Juanda, Ivey, and Letterer were sitting. But, these guys are not as exciting to watch on TV. Mike Matusow is more exciting to watch b/c of his antics.Race has nothing to do with Phil's marketability. If Phil really wanted more sponsorships, I'm sure he could get them. He seems to have an intraverted personality. Oh yeah, and besides, I'm sure he makes way more money in poker than any sponsorship would pay him.

Its probably George Bush's fault somehow
We need to investigate that. Where is the leader of the NAACP, Julian Bond? Oh ya he was out making a speach calling republicans Nazis. Nice.