75 replies to this topic

#61 Loismustdie

Loismustdie

What year is this?

• Members
  • 7,236 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:08 PM

View Postwhale_hunter, on Friday, February 3rd, 2006, 12:03 AM, said:

I forgot to mention that I admire Daniel putting his walk with GOD out in the light, instead of hiding it under a bushel basket like most people.In this day and age believeing in GOD and expressing that belief, is anything but popular.
Did you just quote " This little light of mine?" For anyone not in the know and I am betting there are many, he just quoted a childrens song about Jesus. Officially the funniest sentence I have ever seen on FCP- seriously, who speaks in terms of bushels, unless you are a farmer and even then I don't know if a bushel is still a legitamiote measurement. A bushel basket. LOL.
So much for a comeback.

#62 Trail Boss Mitch

Trail Boss Mitch

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:40 PM

Living itself is a gamble. Any job or career takes a gamble. Now that poker has emerged from the backrooms of beer joints and pool halls, I feel more comfortable playing. I don't gamble on anything but poker. I like playing cards, not gambling. You won't find me at the roulette table.
Visit Trail Boss Mitch at:
Texas Poker Trails.com
A Texas writer discovers poker.

#63 suitedinc

suitedinc

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:54 PM

I love how people who do not believe in God, are "offended" if someone mentions God or Jesus, but at the same time will cuss like sailors, or talk in sexual inuendos. Sooooo, it is OK for you to offend me with your language but I cannot mention God? That makes sense.If DN is a Christian, and that predominates his lifestyle, how can he not mention it?? It is part of who he is. If this offends you, move on.Gambling and Christianity? If you are a Christian and anti gambling, I certainly hope your retirement is under your matress and not in a 401K or an IRA. The stock market can pretty volatile. Some might say it is a gamble....even your mutual fund or other diversified accounts. Although spread to reduce the risk of loss, are still a gamble.I'm a Christian who is self employed with no health insurance. Am I in direct conflict with God because of that? I do not think so. I would argue that in todays business environment, an employee is at as much risk as I am for losing all source of funding by being fired, laid off, or downsized. The point is, life is a gamble. To say that DN is at odds with his faith and the Bible is riduclous, in my opinion.

#64 rog

rog

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

• Members
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:59 PM

I'm an atheist, and I think this is a pretty ridiculous topic to be debating. DN's blog is his own to write whatever he feels. It's about whatever aspects of his life he chooses to share with the public. While I dont share his beliefs, and dont get much out of his sharing of his religious views, it does add to the overall picture of who he is. It's not like FCP displays scriptures everytime you pull in a pot...it's the site owner blogging his views on poker and life. Get over it. Separation of church and poker? come on...could we be even a bit more melodramatic?
Rog

"I got it, I got it. Last words: I dig music! . . . I'M ON DRUGS!"

#65 SuperSnort

SuperSnort

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:53 PM

View Postchrozzo, on Friday, February 3rd, 2006, 1:09 AM, said:

What does it say above the ONE on the back of the one dollar bill....hmmmm, i forget, anyone know?
i believe it says "In God that we trust" :club: but i am english so i may be wrong

#66 herokid7

herokid7

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

Ok, guys, here are my thoughts. I'm in a Christian college and i love to play poker. I have absolutely no conviction over that. I feel that God has no problem with me playing. My college, however, does. So what am i supposed to do? The verse in Proverbs about ill-gotten gain has some legitmacy to it, but in reality does not have anything to do with gambling. In my Christian Ethics class we were taught that the Bible has nothing to say about gambling, but my college was opposed to it because it has a "moral decline it brings with it." I think that line of thinking is idiotic because dating can have a moral decline on a problem that struggles with lust, but we as Christians don't disapprove of dating. Gambling can be wrong for some people, just like drinking can be wrong for some people. But it is not sinful, it may not be wise, but to say it is a sin is just plain wrong. And as for thinking that religion should be separated from the poker table, there has to be something cleared up about that. Daniel, myself, and several other people who claim to be Christians do not have a "religion" we have a RELATIONSHIP with Jesus Christ. When Daniel said he owes it to God for helping him with poker, what he is saying is that before he had a relationship with Christ he could not think as clearly or focus. What Christ does for a person is illuminate every aspect of their life. That is why he thanks God. And having a relationship with Christ goes beyond just what the Bible says, it goes to the Holy Spirit. It is the Holy Spirit, not the Bible that convicts us and guides us. So if Daniel, and myself have a relationship with Christ, then we have a relationship with the Holy Spirit, and if the Holy Spirit does not convict us, one of two things have happened. Either are hearts are hardened or we are not doing anything wrong, and if we are in prayer and read the Bible and try our bests to live as Christ would have, then our hearts our not hardened. God loves you, guys.
www.xxxchurch.com

www.myspace.com/brandongradelle

"For altough they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools" Romans 1: 21-22

#67 econ1

econ1

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Politics and Politics

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:14 AM

All I see Daniel saying is that his faith in God has provided him with greater focus and direction.I dare say that if Daniel were a Buddist instead and spent his time writing about how much clarity of thought and increased concentration medidating has brought him no one would bat an eye.

#68 Wingmaster05

Wingmaster05

throbbing member

• Members
  • 2,169 posts
  • Interests:GOLF, reading, poker

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:02 AM

View Postecon1, on Thursday, March 2nd, 2006, 7:14 AM, said:

All I see Daniel saying is that his faith in God has provided him with greater focus and direction.I dare say that if Daniel were a Buddist instead and spent his time writing about how much clarity of thought and increased concentration medidating has brought him no one would bat an eye.
Man I keep looking at the boards and thinking econtim is posting. you can either change your name for my sake :club: , or you have some massive shoes to fill
Creation is evolution, evolution is karma, karma is habits, habits are thoughts. Change your thoughts and evolve! ~

Tamid A.

#69 econ1

econ1

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Politics and Politics

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:06 AM

View PostWingmaster05, on Thursday, March 2nd, 2006, 8:02 AM, said:

Man I keep looking at the boards and thinking econtim is posting. you can either change your name for my sake :club: , or you have some massive shoes to fill
Ha! Too funny - didn't realize there was another econ prefixed name floating around out there. I'm Republican so I am more about lowering expectations than filling big shoes...changing to my screen name promptly. (assuming I can figure out how to).

#70 Poincare

Poincare

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:56 PM

I only read the first few replies so sorry if someone has already stated the following.I am not a Christian but I did grow up in a strictly Christian household so although Iím not an expert I know more than most about the religion. This post isnít going to be about whether gambling is good or bad in ďChristísĒ eyes.I would like you to consider the following parallel situations. A chess professional plays in tournaments just like a poker professional would, they pay a buy-in and the top few places get a percentage of the prize pool. Obviously the players that donít make the cut will lose money and go broke in chess just like poker. Does God frown on chess players? I donít think so. What is the difference between chess and poker? Well that is simple, one has a chance element and one doesnít. Although poker has a chance element it is still a game of immense skill. I ask you this, what is so evil about chance?There are a lot of situations in business that are zero-sum i.e. one businessí loss is another businessí gain. A lot of the factors involving these situations are not controllable and thus come under the umbrella of chance. Are entrepreneurs also condemned to hell?The final thought is stock investors. A lot of stock movements are unexplainable and thus are explained as chance, but also a lot of skill and knowledge goes into picking the right investments. The people who arenít good enough at it will go broke. This is just like poker. Are stock traders condemned to hell?

#71 Wingmaster05

Wingmaster05

throbbing member

• Members
  • 2,169 posts
  • Interests:GOLF, reading, poker

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:10 AM

View Postecon1, on Thursday, March 2nd, 2006, 8:06 AM, said:

Ha! Too funny - didn't realize there was another econ prefixed name floating around out there. I'm Republican so I am more about lowering expectations than filling big shoes...changing to my screen name promptly. (assuming I can figure out how to).
Haha, you dont have to cahnge it...(I'm not even sure if you can). Just preface each post with a warning or something.
Creation is evolution, evolution is karma, karma is habits, habits are thoughts. Change your thoughts and evolve! ~

Tamid A.

#72 MasterLJ

MasterLJ

Bus Fare Gambler

• Members
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:33 PM

View PostDanielNegreanu, on Thursday, February 2nd, 2006, 5:13 PM, said:

Well, I couldn't disagree with you more on several fronts. It's my blog about my personal life. God is part of my personal life. I don't "preach" to you or anybody about what you should be doing. I share with you the reasons why I think I do well, and the things that I find have made me a happy person. Why should I hide the fact that I beleive in God? Why should I hide the fact that I think it's ridiculous to call a Christmas tree a Holiday tree? As for poker being morally wrong, that is ludicrous and there is no argument that supports that notion. If poker is morally wrong, then there isn't a profittable business in the world that isn't "morally wrong" to some degree. Some people are going to suck at poker and lose a lot of money at it too. They need to find another line of work. Some people aren't smart enough to get a law degree and become a lawyer. They need to find another line of work. Some people aren't talented enough to play in the NBA. They need to find another line of work. The argument that with poker you can actually lose money doesn't hold weight. Time spent chasing an NBA career that doesn't materialize costs that person money. They could have been working. I've read way too many uninformed posts where people falsely assume that being a professional gambler is forbidden in the Bible. Not one post ever quoted one single line of scripture where God clearly states that you shouldn't gamble for a living. It also doesn't say in the Bible that people shouldn't drink alcohol. It says that you shouldn't become a drunkard, but not that you shouldn't drink.
"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." Mark 10:25
Me Blog (Updated: **12/22/2006**)

#73 herokid7

herokid7

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:25 PM

View PostLoismustdie, on Tuesday, February 28th, 2006, 12:08 PM, said:

Did you just quote " This little light of mine?" For anyone not in the know and I am betting there are many, he just quoted a childrens song about Jesus. Officially the funniest sentence I have ever seen on FCP- seriously, who speaks in terms of bushels, unless you are a farmer and even then I don't know if a bushel is still a legitamiote measurement. A bushel basket. LOL.
That children's song is based on a Bible verse, so actually he was quoting the Bible.
www.xxxchurch.com

"For altough they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools" Romans 1: 21-22

#74 cemo76

cemo76

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Poker And Sports

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:56 AM

Ok, I am glad that my Post has caused this interesting debate. Firstly I'd like to say good luck to Daniel as he is in the quarters. All the best and take it down. Getting back to this topic it is obvious that everyone has there own personal opinions and they are all worthy of being listened too. But lets not defend Poker as a noble cause. We are gambling and thats that. We are not curing disease, enhancing human development or saving lives. It is ou hobby, our profession and in some cases our addiction. We choose to play and there for except it for what it is. Sin or no SIN. BUt if you want to be a pure christian then you must not play, Bottom line. This is considered wrong in Christianity because it contravenes Jesus' command that we should love our neighbors as we love God. Since we would never try to gain at God's expense, then we certainly should not try to gain at our neighbor's expense. It doesn't matter how much control a gambler has or how much the gambler is able to lose - what matters is the gambler's interest in receiving an undeserved gain while others at the same time lose. Gambling is, then, a violation of Jesus' most basic commandment for humanity. THAts is my opinion. I am not a christian. Although i do believe in the higher power. I choose to play poker and try to be as kind as I can. Lets just keep Religion and Poker apart. It's like mixing oil and water. JUst doesn't work.ps. Good Luck DAniel Son!.

#75 Loismustdie

Loismustdie

What year is this?

• Members
  • 7,236 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 12:08 PM

View Postherokid7, on Sunday, March 5th, 2006, 1:25 PM, said:

That children's song is based on a Bible verse, so actually he was quoting the Bible.
Very, very good, but it is no less funny. Bushels, by definition, as a word, are funny. Nuff said.
So much for a comeback.

#76 herokid7

herokid7

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 03:46 PM

View PostLoismustdie, on Monday, March 6th, 2006, 12:08 PM, said:

Very, very good, but it is no less funny. Bushels, by definition, as a word, are funny. Nuff said.
You got a point there.
www.xxxchurch.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users