• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 DanielNegreanu

DanielNegreanu

Poker Forum Veteran

• Root Admin
  • 8,245 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:04 AM

I don't thank God for me winning at poker. I don't pray to God to make my aces hold up! When I pray, I pray for focus. I pray that I'll be prepared to do the best that I can and behave in a way that is kind to others regardless of the circumstances. As for God not thinking what I do is good for Him, first of all no one could know what God is thinking, but why is it hard for people to understand that God needs people on Earth to make money to fund his causes? Some Christians do hands on work for God, while others can use money making skills to help.
Posted Image

#22 robert f

robert f

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,211 posts
  • Interests:anything fun

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:10 AM

DanielNegreanu said:

I don't thank God for me winning at poker. I don't pray to God to make my aces hold up! When I pray, I pray for focus. I pray that I'll be prepared to do the best that I can and behave in a way that is kind to others regardless of the circumstances. As for God not thinking what I do is good for Him, first of all no one could know what God is thinking, but why is it hard for people to understand that God needs people on Earth to make money to fund his causes? Some Christians do hands on work for God, while others can use money making skills to help.
Wow, kinda of profound I must say.

#23 Canada

Canada

High Priest of the Church of Perpetual Spanking

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:17 AM

DanielNegreanu said:

but why is it hard for people to understand that God needs people on Earth to make money to fund his causes?
This seems a little strange DN - care to expand?
"I was under the impression that if it wasn't for the moons gravitational pull the ocean would just float into the air" Loismustdiet

"I enjoy watchin people make fulls of themselves." Mattnxtc

#24 robert f

robert f

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:27 AM

Canada said:

DanielNegreanu said:

but why is it hard for people to understand that God needs people on Earth to make money to fund his causes?
You need to travel the world, learn new cultures. Do not stay in the same place all your life.Maybe, then you would understand what he is saying.

#25 Canada

Canada

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:31 AM

robert f said:

Canada said:

DanielNegreanu said:

You need to travel the world, learn new cultures. Do not stay in the same place all your life.Maybe, then you would understand what he is saying.
ummm, where on earth did that come from and what has it got to do with anything?Maybe you are confusing me with another poster?
"I was under the impression that if it wasn't for the moons gravitational pull the ocean would just float into the air" Loismustdiet

#26 robert f

robert f

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:42 AM

Canada said:

robert f said:

Canada said:

DanielNegreanu said:

ummm, where on earth did that come from and what has it got to do with anything?Maybe you are confusing me with another poster?
God comes in many different views. The way you understand God, could be different then the way I perceive him.

#27 Canada

Canada

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:48 AM

robert f said:

Canada said:

robert f said:

Canada said:

DanielNegreanu said:

God comes in many different views. The way you understand God, could be different then the way I perceive him.
yeah real deep.I was questioning DN's statement as it seemed strange in that it conveys a message contradictory to any religous teachings, regardless of faith. At best it seems illogical and wanted him to explain further.It only makes sense if you are one of those Evangalists, and I know DN is not stupid

#28 DanielNegreanu

DanielNegreanu

Poker Forum Veteran

• Root Admin
  • 8,245 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:51 AM

Canada said:

DanielNegreanu said:

It is my belief that God gives everyone specific talents that they can either use to help Him or use for themselves. Some people are great at dealing with people. You could use that to show support for those in need, or you could use that gift to swindle people as well. God gave some people the gift of being great public speakers. That tool could be used in ministry, or it could be used to become a shady politician. I think God gave me several gifts and one of those gifts was the ability to accumulate a lot of money in a short time if I had to. What I do with that money would reflect on whether or not I'm helping to do God's work, or instead using that money to achieve personal goals.
Posted Image

#29 robert f

robert f

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:55 AM

Canada said:

robert f said:

Canada said:

robert f said:

Canada said:

DanielNegreanu said:

yeah real deep.I was questioning DN's statement as it seemed strange in that it conveys a message contradictory to any religous teachings, regardless of faith. At best it seems illogical and wanted him to explain further.It only makes sense if you are one of those Evangalists, and I know DN is not stupid
Well do not question him. If that is what he believes, well, that is what he believes. You do have the right to disagre though. :club:

#30 Canada

Canada

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:19 AM

DanielNegreanu said:

Canada said:

DanielNegreanu said:

It is my belief that God gives everyone specific talents that they can either use to help Him or use for themselves. Some people are great at dealing with people. You could use that to show support for those in need, or you could use that gift to swindle people as well. God gave some people the gift of being great public speakers. That tool could be used in ministry, or it could be used to become a shady politician. I think God gave me several gifts and one of those gifts was the ability to accumulate a lot of money in a short time if I had to. What I do with that money would reflect on whether or not I'm helping to do God's work, or instead using that money to achieve personal goals.
See, thats what confuses me about what you said.Firstly it would seem that anybody with a talent, whether it's public speaking, singing or fixing cars can use that talent to make money.What I'm saying is your talent is not the ability to make money, or in fact play poker. Your talents obviously include an ability to think analytically, to understand non-verbal communication and to control your emotions under pressure amongst other things.You have chosen to use these talents to play poker. The end result of which is that you make money, just like anybody else that excels in their field of choice.Now on to the religous thing.I was under the impression, and I'm willing to be corrected here as I am no expert on the Christain faith, that money is not something that Christains should concern themselves with, that in fact 'God will provide' (I believe this is fairly consistent with most religions)So if God will provide, he doesn't need (and that's the word that caught my attention) you to fund his causes.The flip side here is that if God does need you to fund his causes, surely any money that you earn (because of your God-given talents) beyond your immediate needs should be given to Gods causes.Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not judging, more enquiring as to your thinking, but if God needs the money that you generate with your talents, surely luxuries like a big house, multiple cars etc are not really helping Gods cause.Personally, I've always thought that money was a tool of man and has no value in the eyes of any deity.I thought God would be more interested in how you spend your time, not your money

#31 Canada

Canada

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:25 AM

robert f said:

Well do not question him. If that is what he believes, well, that is what he believes. You do have the right to disagre though. :club:
How can you find out what he believes without questioning?Am I saying what he believes is wrong?I am discussing interpretations of a subject matter, nothing more.Stop trying to be so 'deep and profound man'.Its an honest question and a healthy discussion

#32 robert f

robert f

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:28 AM

Canada said:

DanielNegreanu said:

Canada said:

DanielNegreanu said:

See, thats what confuses me about what you said.Firstly it would seem that anybody with a talent, whether it's public speaking, singing or fixing cars can use that talent to make money.What I'm saying is your talent is not the ability to make money, or in fact play poker. Your talents obviously include an ability to think analytically, to understand non-verbal communication and to control your emotions under pressure amongst other things.You have chosen to use these talents to play poker. The end result of which is that you make money, just like anybody else that excels in their field of choice.Now on to the religous thing.I was under the impression, and I'm willing to be corrected here as I am no expert on the Christain faith, that money is not something that Christains should concern themselves with, that in fact 'God will provide' (I believe this is fairly consistent with most religions)So if God will provide, he doesn't need (and that's the word that caught my attention) you to fund his causes.The flip side here is that if God does need you to fund his causes, surely any money that you earn (because of your God-given talents) beyond your immediate needs should be given to Gods causes.Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not judging, more enquiring as to your thinking, but if God needs the money that you generate with your talents, surely luxuries like a big house, multiple cars etc are not really helping Gods cause.Personally, I've always thought that money was a tool of man and has no value in the eyes of any deity.I thought God would be more interested in how you spend your time, not your money
Instead of writing all those words, Why dont you just say it??? I am jealous of all the money DN is winning. Do not blame DN because you are a loser. I do believe you have no God.

#33 Canada

Canada

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:35 AM

robert f said:

Instead of writing all those words, Why dont you just say it??? I am jealous of all the money DN is winning. Do not blame DN because you are a loser. I do believe you have no God.
Hardly little boy.I've always been a fan of DN, both at the table and away from it.I've always thought his quiet openess about his religion was a compliment to the Christain faith. The way he carries himself on the matter is one that should be applauded.I am simply questioning a statement he made that I though was inconsistent, not jumping down his throat. He's a big boy and I'm sure quite happy to discuss politely.My guess is he enjoys intelligent conversation as much as I do.Needless to say conversing with you gives me no pleasure.Now run along and let your betters speak.

#34 robert f

robert f

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:47 AM

Canada said:

robert f said:

Hardly little boy.I've always been a fan of DN, both at the table and away from it.I've always thought his quiet openess about his religion was a compliment to the Christain faith. The way he carries himself on the matter is one that should be applauded.I am simply questioning a statement he made that I though was inconsistent, not jumping down his throat. He's a big boy and I'm sure quite happy to discuss politely.My guess is he enjoys intelligent conversation as much as I do.Needless to say conversing with you gives me no pleasure.Now run along and let your betters speak.
You would feel really funny, if I came too your house and cut off all of your fingers so you couldnt post anymore. You have no God.

#35 Canada

Canada

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:53 AM

robert f said:

You would feel really funny, if I came too your house and cut off all of your fingers so you couldnt post anymore. You have no God.
Seriously is that the best you can do?I wouldn't find it funny, I would find it amazing that you had learnt how to operate a knife.C'mon try harder.Oh, and my dad is bigger than yours

#36 robert f

robert f

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:56 AM

Canada said:

robert f said:

Seriously is that the best you can do?I wouldn't find it funny, I would find it amazing that you had learnt how to operate a knife.C'mon try harder.Oh, and my dad is bigger than yours
How big is your father??

#37 Canada

Canada

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:59 AM

robert f said:

Canada said:

robert f said:

How big is your father??
4 inchesin diameter

#38 robert f

robert f

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:04 AM

Canada said:

robert f said:

Canada said:

robert f said:

How big is your father??
4 inchesin diameter
I guess you win.

#39 Canada

Canada

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:06 AM

robert f said:

I guess you win.
touche.That made me laugh.Flame war over?Take care.

#40 robert f

robert f

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:10 AM

Canada said:

robert f said:

I guess you win.
touche.That made me laugh.Flame war over?Take care.
Yeah, take care buddy. I have too take care of a few things. :club:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users