• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 AceyDucey

AceyDucey

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:36 AM

Anyone else who watched last night think Harman grossly overplayed her set of 7's against Sammy.Knowing that he is an aggresive player, wouldn't you smooth call the flop bet and let him lead it on the turn again?Why push all in on the flop, where you are almost sure he can't call you.
IPB Image

#2 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

Ending the world one proton at a time

• Members
  • 8,356 posts
  • Interests:fizziks, teh maths, Raid-o-head, Rod Reynolds

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:37 AM

Could you please describe the hand for those of us who missed it?

#3 AceyDucey

AceyDucey

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:40 AM

Sure thing. I kind of walked in on the middle of it since i had class last night.ButSammy had AK and Harman had 77I missed the preflop action.Flop came down 7 4 K rainbow flop.Sammy bet out a pretty nice bet.harman sat on it for a few...then comes over the top All in...which was a huge overbet, and basically priced sammy out of the hand. he mulled it over..but im sure he knew he was beat, just saving face...and he folded.I think if Harman smooth calls there...and then possibly even smooth call the turn..either way if she pushes the turn or river she has all his chips for sure. Rather than letting him out cheap.
IPB Image

#4 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:46 AM

Yes. She got excited, I think.
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

#5 Wingmaster05

Wingmaster05

throbbing member

• Members
  • 2,169 posts
  • Interests:GOLF, reading, poker

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:47 AM

Possibly, but both of these pro's are thinking about what the other might be doing. If Jen thinks sammy has a king, she can get all his money in on the flop. That board is very harmless, if Jen smooth calls two streets, Sammy probably knows whats up. Jen put Sammy on a big hand and thought it would be best to get him now. From an outsider's point, it could easily look like Jen was trying to steal the pot back (from an aggressive opponent). Apparently, Farha saw through it and let it go.

#6 blackntan06

blackntan06

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:47 AM

i agree with you how she played that hand would of got alot more out of sammy.

#7 Tateisgo

Tateisgo

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:50 AM

Wasn't Eli Elezra in the hand to? I was half paying attention.I think the betting went. Harman checks, Elezra checks, Sammy bets, Harman goes all-in, fold, fold.

#8 DrawingDeadInDM

DrawingDeadInDM

BCS Bound

• Members
  • 18,249 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:55 AM

Three in preflop. Jen, Eli Elezra, Sammy.Sammy had AK, Eli had TT, Jen had 77Flop came; K7x Jen checked, Eli bet, Sammy raised, Jen Pushed, Eli folded, Sammy folds. Things you're not taking into account; --Pot Size; I believe with the preflop action, Eli's bet and Sammy's raise the pot was upwards of 25k. --Sammy Steaming; Sammy had gotten broken off and out played a couple times in the hands previous, he got caught bluffing a couple times, and he was needled repeatedly by Sheikhan and was getting a bit annoyed. He could very well have called with AK there thinking they were trying to push him around again--though it would've been a suspect call.--Flush draw on board; I believe, though I might be wrong, that there was two clubs or two spades on the board. She wanted to price out any draw and her stack size in relation to pot size meant a 'normal' raise wouldn't leave her with much behind for a turn bet. If the three flush does pop up on the turn she loses action from Sammy(unless he has the naked Ax, where x equals the two flush on the board) and she has a hard time betting out at any point.--Eli was still to act behind her after Sammy's raise. If she cold calls, Eli has odds to call with a draw--though we know he had TT and wasn't likely calling the raise, and then if either Sammy or Eli has the draw she's effectively priced them in and put herself in a bad way for any three flush that shows up on the turn.
I'm also fed up with the common cold but I just hate to say goodbye.

#9 Windbreaker

Windbreaker

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:57 AM

I don't exactly remember the betting amounts. But the action went something like this:Jennifer was holding a piece of paper...casually reading it...and raised preflop with 77. Eli acting behind her raises it up with 10 10. Sammy held big slick...and flat called, as did Jennifer.The flop comes K74 (I think rainbow). Jennifer casually checks still looking at that paper. Eli bets out...Sammy raises a bit. Jennifer moves all in. It appeared as she was nervous...as she had trouble moving her stack in...tipping it over and such. Eli and Sammy both took their time to fold. This other guy on the table kept talking even when he wasn't in the table to just p/o Sammy.In any case everyone had her on 77 after the hand...and was correct.The funniest hand was when DN called Sammys hand 92. I'm almost certain Sammy would have played the hand if DN hadn't said anything...haha. The flop came 972. Gave DN a pair of 7's....and he ended up taking the pot. Sammy didn't seem to happy...haha.

#10 DrawingDeadInDM

DrawingDeadInDM

BCS Bound

• Members
  • 18,249 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:58 AM

Oh, and, it's a set of 7's. Not trip 7's.

#11 StrippersNBlow

StrippersNBlow

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,862 posts
  • Interests:3 things. Poker, and you guess the other 2

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:58 AM

The only thing I can think of is trying to appear that you're buying it by overbetting on that flop. A smooth call looks even more suspicious on that board IMO.

#12 Windbreaker

Windbreaker

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:59 AM

I don't exactly remember the betting amounts. But the action went something like this:Jennifer was holding a piece of paper...casually reading it...and raised preflop with 77. Eli acting behind her raises it up with 10 10. Sammy held big slick...and flat called, as did Jennifer.The flop comes K74 (I think rainbow). Jennifer casually checks still looking at that paper. Eli bets out...Sammy raises a bit. Jennifer moves all in. It appeared as she was nervous...as she had trouble moving her stack in...tipping it over and such. Eli and Sammy both took their time to fold. This other guy on the table kept talking even when he wasn't in the table to just p/o Sammy.In any case everyone had her on 77 after the hand...and was correct.The funniest hand was when DN called Sammys hand 92. I'm almost certain Sammy would have played the hand if DN hadn't said anything...haha. The flop came 972. Gave DN a pair of 7's....and he ended up taking the pot. Sammy didn't seem to happy...haha.

#13 Ron_Mexico

Ron_Mexico

You mess with the bull, you'll get the horns

• Members
  • 33,079 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:59 AM

and if the ten falls after smooth calling letting Eli in on the cheap, half the people here call her a donkey for not pushing. (not that she gives a crap what people think, JS)
I make $31,000 dollars a year and I have a home.

#14 Windbreaker

Windbreaker

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:00 AM

#15 PoppinFresh

PoppinFresh

Baking up Tasty Delights

• Members
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:11 AM

Flop went check, bet, raise, and it was back to Harman. There was no real draw that Harman could have, IMO a smooth call screams 'I have a set!' as much as moving in. What else could she possibly call with there?

#16 Longshanks

Longshanks

what the duece is this?

• Members
  • 2,650 posts
  • Interests:History, Politics

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:12 AM

PoppinFresh said:

Flop went check, bet, raise, and it was back to Harman.  There was no real draw that Harman could have, IMO a smooth call screams 'I have a set!' as much as moving in.  What else could she possibly call with there?
I agree, smooth calling would have alerted sammy, however, it was better than just shoving it all in

#17 bascomeb

bascomeb

The Short Stack

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:12 AM

smooth calling 2 bets is a suspect move and sammy might have seen right through it. I agree with the all in move on flop for it may look like shes just pushing him around
SW

#18 Ron_Mexico

Ron_Mexico

You mess with the bull, you'll get the horns

• Members
  • 33,079 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:18 AM

PoppinFresh said:

Flop went check, bet, raise, and it was back to Harman.  There was no real draw that Harman could have, IMO a smooth call screams 'I have a set!' as much as moving in.  What else could she possibly call with there?
I disagree. A smooth call isn't always a set. Coulda been a K with a weak kicker. Coulda been an under pair. Something tricky, but there was lots of calling going on in that game. One there wouldn't have defined a set.Armchair quarterbacks.edit: how would you play it if you saw everyones cards. Smooth call and see the turn? Or push in and get everyone out? (I just started TOP)So a smooth call would've been correct right?I'm asking
I make $31,000 dollars a year and I have a home.

#19 DrawingDeadInDM

DrawingDeadInDM

BCS Bound

• Members
  • 18,249 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:18 AM

Anyone else want to post how the action went on the flop? I might be the only one who reads through a thread before responding, I think.You guys kill me.And no, smooth calling is not better than shoving. You're wrong.

#20 da_beartrap

da_beartrap

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:22 AM

the way the bet it, and the fact that they didnt really show her playing too many other hands, and everyones reaction to her bet, i think she may have overplayed that, maybe if she raises to 50k or something like that, it may have confused them even more and maybe get sammy to reraise all in, there was no flush or straight possibilities really on that board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users