Jump to content


what music are you guys listening to?


  • Please log in to reply
10021 replies to this topic

#8481 timwakefield

timwakefield

    I haven't got the time time

  • Members
  • 14,324 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:56 PM

It's time for more Soul For Lady Ghey!Alice Clark - Alice Clark (1972)She was one of James Browns' backup singers (I think?) and this is her only album, and it is amazing. I'm not even kidding, it's been in my heavy rotation for about 4 months since I first heard it. (note, it was a sharebee link, but sharebee was acting really wonky so it's just the MU portion - anyways it's my upload)youtube previewAnd this is Swamp Dogg, 2 albums in 1. Total Destruction To Your Mind + Rat On! (1970, 1971)Really, really good. Not gimicky or silly like the album covers might lead you to believe. The album covers might also lead you to believe that he is awesome - that assumption proves true.Posted ImagePosted ImageSome of the waffles comments got me excited, which quite frankly often leads to disappointment (not waffles specifically - just any random quick recommendations from total internet strangers). Swamp Dogg is the real deal though. The music was surprising to me at first - I was expecting straight, pure soul and/or funk, but he's quite introspective and sings much less-loudly than I'd thought he would. Lyrics such as:Friendship's like acidIt burns as it slides away.And this one is not my upload but it is a clean link which I used to get the album. The Sons of Truth - A Message From the Ghetto (1972)Soul/gospel. I've been getting into a lot of gospel-type music lately, including this. Posted ImageAnyways, another excellent album. Strong on the gospel. Source.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#8482 LadyGrey

LadyGrey

    I've never even seen this part of Pussytown before!

  • Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:LDN
  • Interests:Napping.

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:08 AM

Thanks timwakefield, I'm downloading right now. Will let you know what I think when I've had the chance to listen.
We are all so complicated, and then we die. We are a subject one day, with our vanities, our loves, our worries, and then one day, abruptly, we become nothing but an object, an absolutely disgusting pile of shit. We pass very quickly from one stage to the next. It's very bizarre. It will happen to all of us, and fairly soon too. We become an object you can handle like a stone, but a stone that was someone.
Christian Boltanski



Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.
Jon Stewart

#8483 timwakefield

timwakefield

    I haven't got the time time

  • Members
  • 14,324 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:00 PM

OMFG I WAS ALMOST LITERALLY PRAYING TO A GOD I DON'T BELIEVE IN FOR THE FOLLOWING TO HAPPEN: Massive freeleech on whatcd. And it just happened, totally out of the blue. ALLLL flacs and all something else too or something (basically most mp3s too), through the weekend. Fuck me in the butt yesssssss!Not even an april fool's joke on my part or on their part.EDIT: Still unclear if it's all flacs or just some.Re-Edit: Yeah, it's all flacs.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#8484 LadyGhey

LadyGhey

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:23 AM

View Posttimwakefield, on Wednesday, March 31st, 2010, 11:00 PM, said:

OMFG I WAS ALMOST LITERALLY PRAYING TO A GOD I DON'T BELIEVE IN FOR THE FOLLOWING TO HAPPEN: Massive freeleech on whatcd. And it just happened, totally out of the blue. ALLLL flacs and all something else too or something (basically most mp3s too), through the weekend. Fuck me in the butt yesssssss!Not even an april fool's joke on my part or on their part.EDIT: Still unclear if it's all flacs or just some.Re-Edit: Yeah, it's all flacs.
This happened yesterday right? Because I am sceptical of anything that happens on April 1st.
Well done, Mr Krebbs, well done.

#8485 timwakefield

timwakefield

    I haven't got the time time

  • Members
  • 14,324 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:23 AM

View PostLadyGhey, on Thursday, April 1st, 2010, 6:23 AM, said:

This happened yesterday right? Because I am sceptical of anything that happens on April 1st.
I think it happened at exactly midnight GMT or whatever, so it was potentially a joke. But like, the joke is that it's not a joke. Totally real.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#8486 Mercury69

Mercury69

    Half man! Half man!

  • Members
  • 14,244 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pftph!
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

Avon - QOTSA
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

#8487 Don Giovanni

Don Giovanni

    Custom member title

  • Members
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:17 AM

get highway rider - brad mehldau immediately. for those of you who are too lame to be into jazz it was produced by jon brion.

#8488 Tactical Bear

Tactical Bear

    Happy Hallowang

  • Members
  • 4,220 posts
  • Location:Hiding

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:46 PM

View PostDon Giovanni, on Friday, April 2nd, 2010, 11:17 AM, said:

get highway rider - brad mehldau immediately. for those of you who are too lame to be into jazz it was produced by jon brion.
I started listening to Brad Mehldau when I saw he was doing Radiohead covers. (Yeah, I'm a fanboy.) I don't really know anything about jazz -- **** it: music in general -- but I really enjoyed his work, and I've been picking up his stuff and listening for a while now. I haven't heard Highway Rider, but I will steal it soon and enjoy it.My fake girlfriend burned me two CDs. She gave me the first earlier this week, and I get the second tonight, as well as the cover art and liner notes. She's stretching it out for as long as possible for some reason. Tracklisting:Tegan and Sara- Back In Your HeadArcade Fire- HaitiArcade Fire- Rebellion (Lies)Cloud Cult- No One Said it Would Be EasyHot Chip- ColoursBloc Party- This Modern LovePortugal. The Man- SaltAndrew Bird- ImitosisYeah Yeah Yeahs- RichDigitalism- PogoFischerspooner- All We AreBand of Horses- FuneralThe Helio Sequence- Keep Your Eyes AheadMinus the Bear- Pachuca SunriseTapes 'N Tapes- ManitobaTokyo Police Club- Citizens of TomorrowBlood Brothers- The ShameI can't explain how ecstatic that I'm sleeping with a girl that knows who Tokyo Police Club is and knows what I'm talking about when I say "Hot Chip fucking blows." Did I mention she's really hot, has mega-sweet breasts, and makes jokes about Albert Camus? I'm going to wake up soon, but until I do I shall enjoy the dream.
Quack, Qua-...

I mean, RAAAAAAWWWR!

#8489 JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

    On the road to 8,143 (approximately)

  • Members
  • 8,140 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Springfield

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:55 PM

View PostTactical Bear, on Friday, April 2nd, 2010, 1:46 PM, said:

I can't explain how ecstatic that I'm sleeping with a girl that knows who Tokyo Police Club is and knows what I'm talking about when I say "Hot Chip fucking blows." Did I mention she's really hot, has mega-sweet breasts, and makes jokes about Albert Camus? I'm going to wake up soon, but until I do I shall enjoy the dream.
I would think she would be equally excited that she found someone who will appreciate a CD with Tokyo Police Club on it and gets her Albert Camus jokes.By the way, I started listening to those songs you shared with me again and I really like As Serious As Your Life by Four Tet. But I don't know how I feel about the genre being "hipster."Mainly because it reminds me of Kramer being called a hipster doofus.Then again, Kramer was pretty sweet.
Homer: Moe, I need your advice.
Moe: Yeah?
Homer: See, I got this friend named... Joey Jo Jo... Junior... Shabadoo.
Moe: That's the worst name I ever heard.

#8490 Speed Limit

Speed Limit

    Broseph Ballin'

  • Members
  • 3,295 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Hampshire
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:25 PM

View PostTactical Bear, on Friday, April 2nd, 2010, 3:46 PM, said:

I can't explain how ecstatic that I'm sleeping with a girl that knows who Tokyo Police Club is and knows what I'm talking about when I say "Hot Chip fucking blows." Did I mention she's really hot, has mega-sweet breasts, and makes jokes about Albert Camus? I'm going to wake up soon, but until I do I shall enjoy the dream.
Sounds like she lives in 2008.
Limidonks superfan



Pinpoint music

FCBL: Nuclear Scientists (14-18)

#8491 Tactical Bear

Tactical Bear

    Happy Hallowang

  • Members
  • 4,220 posts
  • Location:Hiding

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:48 PM

View PostJoeyJoJo, on Friday, April 2nd, 2010, 4:55 PM, said:

By the way, I started listening to those songs you shared with me again and I really like As Serious As Your Life by Four Tet. But I don't know how I feel about the genre being "hipster."Mainly because it reminds me of Kramer being called a hipster doofus.Then again, Kramer was pretty sweet.
Whenever I have to categorize a song by genre, I label it "Hipster" or "Hipster/Faggot." Download the album Rounds by Four Tet if you can. It's one of my favorite albums ever. If you can't download it, I'll just put it together and ship it over to you or share it like last time. His newest album, There Is Love in You, is fantastic as well.
Quack, Qua-...

I mean, RAAAAAAWWWR!

#8492 JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

    On the road to 8,143 (approximately)

  • Members
  • 8,140 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Springfield

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:59 PM

View PostTactical Bear, on Friday, April 2nd, 2010, 2:48 PM, said:

Whenever I have to categorize a song by genre, I label it "Hipster" or "Hipster/Faggot." Download the album Rounds by Four Tet if you can. It's one of my favorite albums ever. If you can't download it, I'll just put it together and ship it over to you or share it like last time. His newest album, There Is Love in You, is fantastic as well.
If by "download" you mean: acquire for free, then: I can't. I still get all my music via iTunes purchase.
Homer: Moe, I need your advice.
Moe: Yeah?
Homer: See, I got this friend named... Joey Jo Jo... Junior... Shabadoo.
Moe: That's the worst name I ever heard.

#8493 JubilantLankyLad

JubilantLankyLad

    you can't see me!

  • Members
  • 8,253 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:in hiding
  • Favorite Poker Game:PANDA

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:45 PM

View PostJoeyJoJo, on Friday, April 2nd, 2010, 1:59 PM, said:

If by "download" you mean: acquire for free, then: I can't. I still get all my music via iTunes purchase.
If by "can't" you mean: won't, then: can.
there were no special effects, no special effects.

#8494 JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo

    On the road to 8,143 (approximately)

  • Members
  • 8,140 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Springfield

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

View PostJubilantLankyLad, on Friday, April 2nd, 2010, 3:45 PM, said:

If by "can't" you mean: won't, then: can.
If by "won't" you mean: don't know how, then: correct.
Homer: Moe, I need your advice.
Moe: Yeah?
Homer: See, I got this friend named... Joey Jo Jo... Junior... Shabadoo.
Moe: That's the worst name I ever heard.

#8495 strategy

strategy

    Internet expert

  • Members
  • 15,932 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:strategy
  • Favorite Poker Game:strategy

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

View PostJoeyJoJo, on Friday, April 2nd, 2010, 5:52 PM, said:

If by "won't" you mean: don't know how, then: correct.
I will happily provide the means of acquisition.Am I drunk on jelly?
QUOTE (ShakeZuma @ Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011, 4:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
seriously though, with that grammar it's really like, I mean it doesn't bother me as much that she gets beat, you know?


#8496 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

    Ending the world one proton at a time

  • Members
  • 8,351 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manhattan
  • Interests:fizziks, teh maths, Raid-o-head, Rod Reynolds

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:47 AM

I'm seeing Atoms for Peace tonight. It's going to be odd to see Thom Yorke dancing with Flea, but I'm pretty excited.

#8497 RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy

    no, nunca la pongo

  • Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Location:southern hemisphere

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

madlib never ceases to amaze me. you would think someone who smokes that much weed could never release this much music.
We are here and it is now. Further than that all human knowledge is moonshine.
H. L. Mencken

#8498 timwakefield

timwakefield

    I haven't got the time time

  • Members
  • 14,324 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

Music players: what does everybody use?I have been using itunes for a long time. I've learned all the little quirks, it's easy, the equalizer is decent and easy to manipulate, etc. The biggest problem for me is that it can't play FLAC files. I tried Winamp sometime last year - it was also the first mp3 player I used way back in college. Anyways (last year) I wanted to use it to play my FLACs, but I found it to be very frustrating. The equalizer it came with is shit and on top of that is also difficult to use. I tried installing some other equalizers and just got frustrated with all the plug-ins and whatever. I just discovered Foobar2000 though. It plays FLACs beautifully, has a simple interface, a good and easy-to-use equalizer, etc. I just got it last night, having grabbed about 100 gigs of FLAC last weekend (freeleech is seriously better than christmas). It'll probably take me the rest of the month to finish converting them to mp3 on my shitty computer, and now I can not only listen to them immediately, but I've also found a program to play all my old flacs too. Up until now they've mostly just been sitting on my drive, while I rocked out to the mp3 conversions. No longer!Anyways, this post isn't meant to be advertising Foobar - like I said I just got it and have barely used it. I'm just curious what music players everybody uses, and why. I'm gonna keep using itunes for my mp3s, mostly because they're already extensively organized in itunes, and also I like the layout of it.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#8499 strategy

strategy

    Internet expert

  • Members
  • 15,932 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:strategy
  • Favorite Poker Game:strategy

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:46 PM

foobar is definitely the chosen player for music snobs. I still use winamp. can't remember a time when I had a pressing need for an equalizer.I download solely V0s so I guess I don't get too frustrated over iTunes' lack of support for FLAC in favor of ALAC.
QUOTE (ShakeZuma @ Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011, 4:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
seriously though, with that grammar it's really like, I mean it doesn't bother me as much that she gets beat, you know?


#8500 SuperJon

SuperJon

    <3

  • Members
  • 6,206 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Interests:Pool
    Poker
    P**sy

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:49 PM

View Posttimwakefield, on Thursday, April 8th, 2010, 8:36 PM, said:

Music players: what does everybody use?I have been using itunes for a long time. I've learned all the little quirks, it's easy, the equalizer is decent and easy to manipulate, etc. The biggest problem for me is that it can't play FLAC files. I tried Winamp sometime last year - it was also the first mp3 player I used way back in college. Anyways (last year) I wanted to use it to play my FLACs, but I found it to be very frustrating. The equalizer it came with is shit and on top of that is also difficult to use. I tried installing some other equalizers and just got frustrated with all the plug-ins and whatever. I just discovered Foobar2000 though. It plays FLACs beautifully, has a simple interface, a good and easy-to-use equalizer, etc. I just got it last night, having grabbed about 100 gigs of FLAC last weekend (freeleech is seriously better than christmas). It'll probably take me the rest of the month to finish converting them to mp3 on my shitty computer, and now I can not only listen to them immediately, but I've also found a program to play all my old flacs too. Up until now they've mostly just been sitting on my drive, while I rocked out to the mp3 conversions. No longer!Anyways, this post isn't meant to be advertising Foobar - like I said I just got it and have barely used it. I'm just curious what music players everybody uses, and why. I'm gonna keep using itunes for my mp3s, mostly because they're already extensively organized in itunes, and also I like the layout of it.
I just use itunes. I hear people complain about it a bit, but I have no problems with it.As for flacs, I use Free Audio Converter to convert to .mp3s. Took about 4 minutes to do the latest Mraz which was close to 600MB.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users