2835 replies to this topic

#21 gobears

gobears

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:13 PM

TJ_Eckleburg said:

I don't know much about investing....But Clark Howard says buy index funds and just sit on them, and you can't miss. And keep re-investing.Thoughts?
1. Most mutual funds don't beat the index funds2. Pick a no-load index fund and your transaction costs are minimal3. If you need to liquidate and get your$ quickly, no problem (unlike real estate)4. Frees up your time (vs spending time researching individual stocks)Unless you have an edge, I think that index funds make a lot of sense.
Work to live, don't live to work - Todd Harrison

#22 PAYforUSC

PAYforUSC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:26 PM

Longshanks said:

Mad Money on CNBC
Cramer was the man back in the day when he ran his hedgefund. then he went Hollywood. :x

#23 bdams19

bdams19

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:11 PM

i would recommend common stocks and uncommon profits by fischer, still considered one of the best, and read the Intilligent Investor for the part on margin of safety.

#24 snowmannn

snowmannn

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:17 PM

PAYforUSC said:

Longshanks said:

Mad Money on CNBC
Cramer was the man back in the day when he ran his hedgefund. then he went Hollywood. :x
I wish Chuck Norris would throw a chair at that guy.

#25 gobears

gobears

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:01 PM

Tomorrow should be a good one for the Bears as Yahoo and Intel are getting crushed after hours and IBM didn't exactly report a stellar quarter. Should be interesting to see if the bulls can regroup... From Fil Zucchi on Minyanville.com"Come tomorrow the market's ability to absorb the current selling wave will tell a lot about this market, IMHO. If Boo cannot mount a comeback on these type of reports "get Shortie" may take on a whole new meaning."From Rev Shark on realmoney.com"We're certainly going to scare out some bulls with this reports and right now it looks like panic."From Cody Willard on realmoney.com"This one's gonna be nasty tomorrow. Yahoo!'s a bigger disappointment relative to expectations than Intel. I don't call either one "ugly," perhaps because I remember "ugly" as huge misses and guide-downs. And no earnings, but lots of losses. That's my standard for ugly.That said, the stocks will be very ugly tomorrow. Lots of bulls and longs will be throwing in the towel, that's for sure."

#26 PAYforUSC

PAYforUSC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:55 PM

gobears said:

Tomorrow should be a good one for the Bears as Yahoo and Intel are getting crushed after hours and IBM didn't exactly report a stellar quarter.  Should be interesting to see if the bulls can regroup...  From Fil Zucchi on Minyanville.com"Come tomorrow the market's  ability to absorb the current selling wave will tell a lot about this market, IMHO. If Boo cannot mount a comeback on these type of reports "get Shortie" may take on a whole new meaning."From Rev Shark on realmoney.com"We're certainly going to scare out some bulls with this reports and right now it looks like panic."From Cody Willard on realmoney.com"This one's gonna be nasty tomorrow. Yahoo!'s a bigger disappointment relative to expectations than Intel. I don't call either one "ugly," perhaps because I remember "ugly" as huge misses and guide-downs. And no earnings, but lots of losses. That's my standard for ugly.That said, the stocks will be very ugly tomorrow. Lots of bulls and longs will be throwing in the towel, that's for sure."
Bulls regroup tomorrow at old resistance and the market marches forward. you know what they say about strength on bad news, just wait for tomorrow. you heard it here first :club:

#27 custom36

custom36

FCP Veteran, Politico

• Members
  • 16,157 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Limit Hold'em

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:57 PM

I've never traded stocks. I heard it's kinda like poker, though. Just seems like too much work, to me. Am I right?

#28 Vatche

Vatche

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:59 PM

PAYforUSC said:

Longshanks said:

Mad Money on CNBC
is this the guy obsessed with google?goooooooooooooooooooogle!

#29 PAYforUSC

PAYforUSC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:50 PM

Vatche said:

PAYforUSC said:

Longshanks said:

Mad Money on CNBC
is this the guy obsessed with google?goooooooooooooooooooogle!
i think it's his anti-depressants....PAAAAAAAAAAAAXIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLL!!!

#30 PAYforUSC

PAYforUSC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:54 PM

custom36 said:

I've never traded stocks. I heard it's kinda like poker, though. Just seems like too much work, to me. Am I right?
it's too much work if you're not really interested in it. once you grasp the basics and get more in depth to how things actually work, then you should like it. just like in poker, all markets have fish.

#31 custom36

custom36

FCP Veteran, Politico

• Members
  • 16,157 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:00 PM

PAYforUSC said:

custom36 said:

it's too much work if you're not really interested in it. once you grasp the basics and get more in depth to how things actually work, then you should like it. just like in poker, all markets have fish.
Thanks, man. I'm actually interested in it. Do you have any links handy I could look at?

#32 PAYforUSC

PAYforUSC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:07 PM

custom36 said:

PAYforUSC said:

custom36 said:

Thanks, man. I'm actually interested in it. Do you have any links handy I could look at?
no specific links, but try google. the best piece of info i can give you is reading The Education of a Speculator by Victor Niederhoffer. if you get the grasp of this book, which any poker player should even though it's regarding another market, you are in it to win it. there's even a section on poker in the book which was published in 1997 before poker hit the mainstream. the advice is solid, for poker and ALL markets.

#33 custom36

custom36

FCP Veteran, Politico

• Members
  • 16,157 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:17 PM

Thanks. I'll definately check it out.

#34 custom36

custom36

FCP Veteran, Politico

• Members
  • 16,157 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:44 PM

and then, if someone wants to show me around, feel free to PM me for my IM contact info.

#35 custom36

custom36

FCP Veteran, Politico

• Members
  • 16,157 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

Here are the 3 books I'm looking at getting from Amazon. Let me know what you think of my choices...How To Make Money In Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad - William J Oneil Coach Yourself to Success : Winning the Investment Game - Joe Moglia The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing (RevisedEdition) - Jason Kelly

#36 PAYforUSC

PAYforUSC

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:12 PM

custom36 said:

and then, if someone wants to show me around, feel free to PM me for my IM contact info.
these 2 links are a good starthttp://www.investope...sity/technical/http://www.traders.c...y/glossary.html

#37 gobears

gobears

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:31 PM

www.fool.com (some free, some pay)www.thestreet.com (free, realmoney.com is their paysite)www.minyanville.com (University area is free - also have a pay site but much cheaper for students)www.investopedia.com (looks interesting; looks like some good stuff for beginners)I concur with what others said about Barrons - a must read on the weekend.There's really two types of investing and you need to understand both:Fundamental and TechnicalGet some books on both aspects. O'Neill is the founder of Investors Business Daily and founder of the CANSLIM method of picking stocks - I've heard good things about his book.Haven't heard of the other two books

#38 mk

mk

nord-américain racaille

• Members
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:36 AM

STOCK-SPLIT TACTICS QUESTIONEDLivedoor raid stirs up fear of Net stocksBy MAYUMI NEGISHI and TAIGA URANAKAStaff writersThe Nikkei stock average fell below the 16,000 line Tuesday as worried investors sold off Internet stocks amid the dust kicked up by prosecutors' search of Livedoor Co. over suspected securities law violations. The Nikkei lost 462.08 points in its biggest single-day loss since May 2004 to close at 15,805.95, down 2.8 percent from the previous day.Despite the news, the downside is likely to be limited by strong buying by foreign investors, market participants said. Experts said the fallout from the raid may have far-reaching effects that will prompt investors and regulators alike to review the way the market operates. "We're in for a long debate now on how far investors and managers can go in the name of profit, whether the legal checks are enough, and how to build a system of checks to ensure confidence in Japan's market," said Hisahiko Saito, a professor of commerce at Keio University.Central to the speculation is the tactic of using stock splits, which often boost stock prices. But Livedoor is not the only firm suspected of using tricky but legal price-boosting measures, he said."It's a tough call, because you don't want to discourage new entrants into the economy," Saito said.Worried about possible rule-breaking by tech-oriented newcomers, individual investors rushed to dump Livedoor, partner Fuji Television Network Inc. and other Internet stocks, including Yahoo Japan and Softbank.Some market watchers, however, welcomed the raid."It's a welcome break to the recent excessive rally, which would not have lasted anyway," said Mitsuru Yoshikawa, head of capital market research at Daiwa Institute of Research. He said the impact on the overall stock market was limited.A manager of a U.S. pension fund, who asked not to be named, said overseas appetite for Japanese stocks remains strong, given the economy's fundamentals.If Livedoor is found to have violated securities laws, other changes may be in store.For example, new entrants and institutional investors may think twice before using tactics that are technically legal but considered "overly aggressive" by the Japanese business establishment.Some established businesses and experts have questioned some of Livedoor President Takafumi Horie's growth strategies, including the use of large stock splits to acquire businesses.Stock splits are common and usually carried out to lower the per-share price so small investors can buy shares more easily. Livedoor apparently used price-splitting often as a tactic to boost its stock price. Although it is not clear yet whether investigators are specifically targeting this practice, the media have been led to start questioning the legitimacy of the tactic.Splits are often accompanied by a sharp rise in the stock price. Horie raised eyebrows using this tactic by taking advantage of the jump in Livedoor's stock price to acquire businesses. The acquisitions in turn helped keep the price of his shares high."Although it is not illegal, it is very gray," Daiwa's Yoshikawa said, noting the practice has been criticized by experts. "It has been used by startups and IT-related firms. It is not a desirable practice."In March, the Tokyo Stock Exchange asked companies to refrain from carrying out stock splits at ratios greater than 5-to-1.The Japan Times: Jan. 18, 2006© All rights reserved

#39 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,267 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 03:05 PM

people interested in investment opportunities would do far better to look at India, China and other international markets before looking at domestic opportunities other than index funds.agree/disagree?

#40 HoosierAlum

HoosierAlum

Grindmode

• Members
  • 8,169 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Traveling, Baseball, Basketball

Posted 18 January 2006 - 03:11 PM

mrdannyg said:

people interested in investment opportunities would do far better to look at India, China and other international markets before looking at domestic opportunities other than index funds.agree/disagree?
agree, not even close.

I might start updating this again.
http://jonathandepa.blogspot.com/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users