proper bankroll for 5/10 limit online (mmultitable)?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 econ_tim

econ_tim

forum explorer

• Members
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:09 PM

capthowdy981 said:

Again, why does "who it is" matter to the size of the bankroll? I just asked if multi-tabling changes the size of the bankroll, and apparently it does not. I think I'll possibly go over the 300/bb though.

econ_tim said:

the 300BB roll comes from certain winrate, variance, and risk of ruin assumptions if someone has a lower winrate than 2BB/100 (not sure if this is the actual number used to get 300BB), they will need a larger bankroll
. . .

#62 capthowdy981

capthowdy981

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:14 PM

I understand your point, but what I am saying is that I never posted my winrate, or anything close to that.If your point was that I mentioned I haven't fully tried to play limit with a seperate bankroll, then your assumption of more BB's could possibly be correct. This however was not your point.It was never determined what my winrate was at all, ever, in this thread.

#63 econ_tim

econ_tim

forum explorer

• Members
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:21 PM

capthowdy981 said:

I understand your point, but what I am saying is that I never posted my winrate, or anything close to that.If your point was that I mentioned I haven't fully tried to play limit with a seperate bankroll, then your assumption of more BB's could possibly be correct. This however was not your point.It was never determined what my winrate was at all, ever, in this thread.
you say that your life doesn't revolve around an internet forum, yet you keep arguing minutia with everyone who tries to give you advicewhy don't you just go play 5/10 if that is what your heart is set on?i've given you my advice: don't start at 5/10 if you haven't played a lot of limit poker, and if you do start at 5/10 use at least $5,000while you haven't posted your winrate, you have said that you have never beaten a limit game over a large sample of hands. winning 2BB/100 at 5/10 requires skillful play. while you may someday attain this winrate, assuming such a good winrate when calculating your bankroll requirements is courting disaster, especially since you have no idea what it might be.

#64 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:23 PM

capthowdy981 said:

mrdannyg said:

capthowdy981 said:

And for the last time my emotional state, understanding of fundamentals and so on have nothing to do with the original question of bankrolls for multi-tabling.And you all censored and moan about the lack of community around here! You guys are too young to give advice, as well as too hard headed and stubborn to understand I care about nothing but bankroll size.
that's like saying, i use the term "balloon-throwing" instead of poker. high variance and bingo are different. the difference between them is the very reason that we play poker. knowing the difference implies understanding of the fundamental basis of how we play poker.but i guess i'm too young to give advice.let us know how that stubbornness works out for you.
Why do you guys keep doing this?Anyway, I know/understand/love/get it that poker has skill and bingo has nnone whatsoever. I used bingo loosely to explain high variance. Exagerated, if you will.It's like saying I haven't had a drink in forever. When in reality it's been a few months.
goot

#65 GamblinLeaf

GamblinLeaf

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:24 PM

econ_tim said:

capthowdy981 said:

Again, why does "who it is" matter to the size of the bankroll? I just asked if multi-tabling changes the size of the bankroll, and apparently it does not. I think I'll possibly go over the 300/bb though.

econ_tim said:

the 300BB roll comes from certain winrate, variance, and risk of ruin assumptions if someone has a lower winrate than 2BB/100 (not sure if this is the actual number used to get 300BB), they will need a larger bankroll
. . .
The calculation from which the "300BB Rule" is derived is as follows:Bankroll = -[[(SD^2)/(winrate x 2)] x ln(risk of ruin)]whereSD = Standard Deviationwinrate can be calculated as BB/hr or as BB/100risk of ruin is the percentage chance of going brokeWith a SD of 20BB, a winrate of 1BB/hr (playing live), and an acceptable risk of ruin of 1% (99% chance that you won't go broke], the formula comes up with 345BB as the bankroll requirement. 300BB ends up being just a nice round number to use as a guide, since it's lower than the calculation suggests.Clearly, as one's SD goes up (as it does in more aggressive and/or short handed games), or one's winrate goes down, a larger roll will be needed if you wish to keep that Risk Of Ruin at 1% or less.A great article on this topic can be found at http://www.bet-the-p...ion-page43.html
"No, I said poker's an honest trade ... only sucker's buck the tiger's odds, they're all on the house."

#66 nrs02004

nrs02004

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:20 PM

As a last note to end this thread, I thought we should all sing a song.(use the tune for jingle bells)dogs dogs dogs, dogs dogs dogs, dogs dogs dogs dogs dogs, dogs dogs dogs d-dogs dogs dogs, d-dogs dogs dogs dogs dogs, DOGS!(I call it the dogs song for obvious reasons)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users