proper bankroll for 5/10 limit online (mmultitable)?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 capthowdy981

capthowdy981

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:25 PM

TheCinciKid said:

capthowdy981 said:

TheCinciKid said:

capthowdy981 said:

And about the folding issue, i was steaming at the time. I realize i like callers. Lets let go of the folding/calling issue altogether. Sometimes the game turns into "Bingo" where everyone calls everything all the way, and at the end of 7 cards lets see who hit what. And that is frustrating if your best hand doesn't hold up.
The game is NEVER "Bingo." If you want to be taken seriously on this forum don't use words like that. It makes you sound like a fish.
It certaintly does. It's when you're playing with poker players far less experienced than you, you are either going to get up, or show them the best hand. Now when everyone (10 out of 10 players) are seeing every card until the showdown, it becomes who hits what. Skillful plays are almost thrown out of the equation. You either have the best hand at the end of 7 cards, or you don't. It isn't a matter if you were ahead or you had the deck crippled.
I'm sorry to have to be a jerk and put it this way, but the bottom line is that you're very very wrong. You've consistently proven in this thread that you have no understanding of the fundamental concepts of poker. I will say this much, even if the game was showdown poker and everybody else played every hand to the river, the game could be beaten over the long run by only playing good hands and knowing when to fold. The variance would be large, but it would be a skillful game, not a game of bingo. Beyond that, I have neither the time nor the inclination to try to explan these concepts any further. I highly suggest you pick up some poker books, maybe they can teach you. I'd reccomend Small Stakes Hold'em and maybe Theory of Poker.
OK so you put it as "the variance will be large". In my own words I described "large variance" as bingo. I never said that skill would be thrown COMPLETELY out of the window, and as a matter of fact i recognized the fact that there will always be skill in any game of poker. So you're so hard on about proving me wrong, when it takes one second to see that I am saying the same thing that you just said!

#42 Actuary

Actuary

• Members
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:28 PM

what happened to "Die thread Die" this is my last post in this thread.Can you limit yourself to just one more?

#43 capthowdy981

capthowdy981

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:31 PM

TheCinciKid said:

[b]Skillful plays are almost You either have the best hand at the end of 7 cards, or you don't. It isn't a matter if you were ahead or you had the deck crippled.
The easy to read version before you try to dispute this line again.

#44 capthowdy981

capthowdy981

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:32 PM

Actuary said:

hmmm.sounds like you got the right idea.Chasers suckPlay with those that folds worse hands on the flop and turn.5/10 Multitable....$1000take care.
OK so what you're trying to say is a bankroll of five thousand dollars. Thank you.

#45 TheCinciKid

TheCinciKid

Micro Limit Superstar

• Members
  • 3,452 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Baseball, Poker, The Bengals, Poker, Golf, Poker, Movies, Poker, Fantasy Sports, and a little Politics and Current Events.
  • Favorite Poker Game:Limit Hold'em

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:32 PM

capthowdy981 said:

TheCinciKid said:

capthowdy981 said:

TheCinciKid said:

capthowdy981 said:

And about the folding issue, i was steaming at the time. I realize i like callers. Lets let go of the folding/calling issue altogether. Sometimes the game turns into "Bingo" where everyone calls everything all the way, and at the end of 7 cards lets see who hit what. And that is frustrating if your best hand doesn't hold up.
The game is NEVER "Bingo." If you want to be taken seriously on this forum don't use words like that. It makes you sound like a fish.
It certaintly does. It's when you're playing with poker players far less experienced than you, you are either going to get up, or show them the best hand. Now when everyone (10 out of 10 players) are seeing every card until the showdown, it becomes who hits what. Skillful plays are almost thrown out of the equation. You either have the best hand at the end of 7 cards, or you don't. It isn't a matter if you were ahead or you had the deck crippled.
I'm sorry to have to be a jerk and put it this way, but the bottom line is that you're very very wrong. You've consistently proven in this thread that you have no understanding of the fundamental concepts of poker. I will say this much, even if the game was showdown poker and everybody else played every hand to the river, the game could be beaten over the long run by only playing good hands and knowing when to fold. The variance would be large, but it would be a skillful game, not a game of bingo. Beyond that, I have neither the time nor the inclination to try to explan these concepts any further. I highly suggest you pick up some poker books, maybe they can teach you. I'd reccomend Small Stakes Hold'em and maybe Theory of Poker.
OK so you put it as "the variance will be large". In my own words I described "large variance" as bingo. I never said that skill would be thrown COMPLETELY out of the window, and as a matter of fact i recognized the fact that there will always be skill in any game of poker. So you're so hard on about proving me wrong, when it takes one second to see that I am saying the same thing that you just said!
CHRIST!!LET ME TRY TO PUT THIS IN TERMS YOU CAN UNDERSTAND.BINGO IS A GAME OF LUCK.POKER IS A GAME OF SKILL AND LUCK.BINGO NEVER INVOLVES SKILL. THEREFORE, POKER CAN NEVER BE REFERRED TO AS BINGO.end of lesson.P.S. You continue to show no understanding of the fundamental concepts of poker, including the concept of variance. Please go read SSHE.
"If you're too careful, your whole life can become a ****in' grind." - Mike McDermott, Rounders

my (resurrected) poker blog:
http://cincikid.blogspot.com

#46 capthowdy981

capthowdy981

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:34 PM

Actuary said:

what happened to "Die thread Die" this is my last post in this thread.Can you limit yourself to just one more?
**** me, now I get it. The jokes on me!You guys really had me going there.

#47 capthowdy981

capthowdy981

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:39 PM

Cinci, put your thinking cap on. We are arguing the same point. I just use bingo as slang terms for very high variance.Posted Image

#48 capthowdy981

capthowdy981

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:43 PM

And for the last time my emotional state, understanding of fundamentals and so on have nothing to do with the original question of bankrolls for multi-tabling.And you all bitch and moan about the lack of community around here! You guys are too young to give advice, as well as too hard headed and stubborn to understand I care about nothing but bankroll size.

#49 TheCinciKid

TheCinciKid

Micro Limit Superstar

• Members
  • 3,452 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Baseball, Poker, The Bengals, Poker, Golf, Poker, Movies, Poker, Fantasy Sports, and a little Politics and Current Events.

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:47 PM

capthowdy981 said:

TheCinciKid said:

Skillful plays are almost You either have the best hand at the end of 7 cards, or you don't. It isn't a matter if you were ahead or you had the deck crippled.
The easy to read version before you try to dispute this line again.
Umm...I never said that. There is plenty of skill involved even in the loosest game of poker.
"If you're too careful, your whole life can become a ****in' grind." - Mike McDermott, Rounders

#50 TheCinciKid

TheCinciKid

Micro Limit Superstar

• Members
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:50 PM

capthowdy981 said:

Cinci, put your thinking cap on. We are arguing the same point. I just use bingo as slang terms for very high variance.Posted Image
For the last time. We are not arguing the same point. Poker and Bingo are two games that are mutually exclusive of one another. This is my last post in this moronic thread. I'm tired of trying to explain concepts that you simply don't understand. Go read SSHE or SSCKY. It's your choice.

#51 Steppin Razor

Steppin Razor

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:56 PM

capthowdy981 said:

Cinci, put your thinking cap on. We are arguing the same point. I just use bingo as slang terms for very high variance.
I feel kind of stupid getting into this, but high variance means you go down a lot, and go up a lot. Calling the game bingo isn't an equivalent term.Forget the variance and bingo cr*p. It takes skill to beat the loose games you are talking about. Skill is not removed, nor is it diminished. If you decide to play 5/10, good luck to you. If you think you are so good you can't win the loose games, you'll likely lose at 5/10. Low limit (ie loose) games requires the skills to beat bad players. Higher limits require the skills to beat bad players, and also the skill to be other skilled players who show up more often.If you are looking to limit variance, try a tight site like Absolute or Full Tilt.

#52 capthowdy981

capthowdy981

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:58 PM

So 5k for a bankroll for multitabling 5/10?

#53 WonderfulSplash

WonderfulSplash

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:01 PM

capthowdy981 said:

So 5k for a bankroll for multitabling 5/10?
There are no absolutes for bankroll requirements. 300bb is the general consensus minimum, but Smash is right, 500bb (5K) is a good idea. Multitabling doesn't really make varience any worse, so it shouldn't effect your starting bankroll requirements.

#54 capthowdy981

capthowdy981

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:45 PM

Thank the lord someone finally shed light on the subject.Thanks Smash and Splash.

#55 Bubba83

Bubba83

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,425 posts
  • Interests:Web Programming<br />Computer Games<br />Beer Tasting<br />Roller Coasters
  • Favorite Poker Game:7 Stud Hi/Lo

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:33 PM

300 big bets is too small. I think you should have 500 big bets at least.

#56 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,267 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:06 AM

capthowdy981 said:

And for the last time my emotional state, understanding of fundamentals and so on have nothing to do with the original question of bankrolls for multi-tabling.And you all censored and moan about the lack of community around here! You guys are too young to give advice, as well as too hard headed and stubborn to understand I care about nothing but bankroll size.
that's like saying, i use the term "balloon-throwing" instead of poker. high variance and bingo are different. the difference between them is the very reason that we play poker. knowing the difference implies understanding of the fundamental basis of how we play poker.but i guess i'm too young to give advice.let us know how that stubbornness works out for you.

#57 Shimmering Wang

Shimmering Wang

Daddy Wears the Daddy-Pants

• Members
  • 6,362 posts
  • Interests:I am very into ducks.

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:13 AM

Bubba83 said:

What? Why? When did the standard bankroll get bumped my 2/3?

#58 econ_tim

econ_tim

forum explorer

• Members
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:17 AM

Shimmering Wang said:

Bubba83 said:

What? Why? When did the standard bankroll get bumped my 2/3?
the 300BB roll comes from certain winrate, variance, and risk of ruin assumptionsif someone has a lower winrate than 2BB/100 (not sure if this is the actual number used to get 300BB), they will need a larger bankrolli'm guessing 500BB is a better recommendation for the OP

#59 capthowdy981

capthowdy981

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:28 AM

mrdannyg said:

capthowdy981 said:

And for the last time my emotional state, understanding of fundamentals and so on have nothing to do with the original question of bankrolls for multi-tabling.And you all censored and moan about the lack of community around here! You guys are too young to give advice, as well as too hard headed and stubborn to understand I care about nothing but bankroll size.
that's like saying, i use the term "balloon-throwing" instead of poker. high variance and bingo are different. the difference between them is the very reason that we play poker. knowing the difference implies understanding of the fundamental basis of how we play poker.but i guess i'm too young to give advice.let us know how that stubbornness works out for you.
Why do you guys keep doing this?Anyway, I know/understand/love/get it that poker has skill and bingo has nnone whatsoever. I used bingo loosely to explain high variance. Exagerated, if you will.It's like saying I haven't had a drink in forever. When in reality it's been a few months.

#60 capthowdy981

capthowdy981

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:32 AM

econ_tim said:

i'm guessing 500BB is a better recommendation for the OP
Again, why does "who it is" matter to the size of the bankroll? I just asked if multi-tabling changes the size of the bankroll, and apparently it does not. I think I'll possibly go over the 300/bb though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users