Jump to content


Way Off Topic - For Hockey Fans


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wingsfan

wingsfan

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:46 PM

Daniel and anyone else that likes hockey,When you're not thinking about poker, how do you feel about tag-up offsides, no-touch icing, and a regular season shootout after OT (all rules changes proposed for whenever this friggin' lockout ends)?Any AHL fans have input on how these are working down there?
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson

#2 allinbluff35

allinbluff35

    Inevitably Running Bad

  • Members
  • 9,505 posts
  • Location:The Land Of Busto.

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:20 PM

I believe tag-up offsides is a very good rule because it promotes more organization with puck control and break out schemes when the opposing team is tagging up and you are trying to break the puck out of your defensive zone. I don't like the no touch icing rule, I think that is just the lazy persons way of the puck out of the zone. Regular season shoot-out rule is the one of the dumbest things I have heard being incorporated into hockey because the player has 75% chance of scoring opposed to the goalie stopping it i think is 25%. Another rule I read somewhere that was incorporated this season and extended the trial period until the end of the season is the limited zone for the goaltender. Why limit where a goalie is involved to go while the puck is in play, there are already very few goaltenders who go out of that zone that was incorporated as the rule, why limit the few that go out of their way to get the puck to their teammates. As anyone who reads probably realized I was a goaltender in hockey so I tend to lead toward anything that limits or puts more pressure on the goalie than he already has.
Only after you have lost everything, are you free to do anything.


Sign Up For RakeBack Here.

#3 tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 940 posts
  • Location:Virginia
  • Interests:Golf, Video Games, Statistics

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:39 AM

No touch icing is dumb in my opinion.... why even have icing at all? They'll be so many breaks it's like a free time out to just dump the puck down the ice.... not very fun to me.Shootouts after OT I think is good for the sport. I think the NHL feels that in order to keep with some of the other major sports they need some more exciting events in the game. I don't agree with that because the sport is great in itself, but I think they feel like having shootouts would be a way to captivate some more people, particularly the TV audience.I haven't heard much about tag-up offsides, so I can't really comment on that one.

#4 wingsfan

wingsfan

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:49 AM

A few things on no-touch icing. I went to a UHL game with no touch and I think it actually speeds up the game. If you think for a second, the icing only gets outraced maybe 5% of the time. So now, instead of waiting for the other 95% for the slow poke defenseman to go touch up, it gets blown down immediately. Also, there's another provision that's been recommended for that. The team that ices the puck will not be allowed to make a line change after the icing, thereby discouraging tired defenses from just icing the puck to get off the ice.I personally am a fan of the shootout idea. Obviously, this would only apply to the regular season. Ties are just plain boring. I fully understand the purist point of view that a shootout isn't "real hockey". I agree. The only problem is that by the time it would hypothetically get to a shootout, "real hockey" hasn't worked for 65 minutes straight. They're gonna end the game either way. Why not give the fans that paid way too much for their tickets something to cheer about before they leave?I'm not sure why the league ever took tag-up offsides out of the game. I'm no expert in this area, but anything that reduces play stoppage, I'm in favor of.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson

#5 tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 940 posts
  • Location:Virginia
  • Interests:Golf, Video Games, Statistics

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:22 AM

Quote

The team that ices the puck will not be allowed to make a line change after the icing, thereby discouraging tired defenses from just icing the puck to get off the ice.
In this case, then I agree it makes sense to apply the no-touch icing.

#6 theACE

theACE

    Poker Forum Newbie

  • Members
  • 88 posts
  • Location:Vancouver, B.C

Posted 12 December 2004 - 01:03 PM

I think no touch icing is long over due.. how many times have you seen two players rush to the puck and one of them ends up getting hurt (broken ankle or torn ACL or something to that effect) the fact is touch icing is dangerous and should be taken out.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users