• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#121 Blackhawk_Poker

Blackhawk_Poker

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 02:59 PM

I think raising a good amount upon the flop would have been a better play than smooth-calling or moving all-in.One of the biggest problems was that Leet narrowed down Carlie's holdings too much (I think we all have done this before). All you really knew going into this hand was that Carlie plays a lot of card combinations. Questions:Would Carlie have raised all-in on pocket 7's given your re-raise pre-flop?Was Carlie the type of player who would raise on drawing hands (suited connectors) pre-flop?We're not sure if Carlie would have folded a weaker ace to a raise; a raise would have given us more information as to what Carlie had AND make Carlie pay for any draws.An overbet/all-in play is too extreme given the lack of information we have; this could have been lethal if Carlie had a set. Furthermore, it KILLS any positional advantage to be had later in the hand.A smooth-call is an okay play but it rests upon two assumptions: that you have a distinct read upon your opponent (so catching cards won't really help) and also that your opponent would bet/bluff the turn. However, this play can be DISASTROUS in NL.Given your stack size, I don't think you played the hand terribly with a smooth-call; I think the main lesson to be learned here is that setting traps can be counterproductive when you're not sure of what your opponent has. In cases like these, you end up trapping yourself and losing your entire stack.Here's another scenario that is pretty common: say you and Carlie had 400 more dollars each pre-flop; when would you have folded your hand/how would you have played it differently?

#122 Chief

Chief

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 05:26 PM

Given your stack size, I don't think you played the hand terribly with a smooth-call; I think the main lesson to be learned here is that setting traps can be counterproductive when you're not sure of what your opponent has. In cases like these, you end up trapping yourself and losing your entire stack.
i think u need to result orient yourself out of this thread

#123 pmc

pmc

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 05:33 PM

yeah chief, thats really nice. a guy who never posted once on this thread and u come back with that crap. talk about a seventeen year old. the problem with u mit types is that u think yur smarter than u really r. u technical types have no creativity. u can crunch numbers but a lot of yur ideas dont work in the real world. thats why guys like u build bridges that collapse when it encounters a stiff breeze.

#124 Abbaddabba

Abbaddabba

breaking even like it's 1999

• Members
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:02 PM

So if it's the MIT civil engineers who build faulty bridges, is that to say the well made ones are built by, say, devry grads?

the problem with u mit types is that u think yur smarter than u really r.
I think the bigger problem here is that they (rightfully) think that they're smarter than _you_; and that doesnt seem to be sitting too well on your end.

#125 pmc

pmc

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:19 PM

everyone knows the germans build better bridges. the world goes to germany to have a lot of stuff done that the mit nit witts cant figure out. the germans built a stealth wing fighter back in the forties. it was a german that put us on the moon. u want to have a conversation of intelligence, you'll find out i'm not that dumb. i was a mechanical engineer and i didnt go to one day of school for it. yur not talking to a dummy. chief is a creep and i dont know what u r but yur way behind the curve. thats why u guys argue all the time. its in the engineers nature. they spend more time trying to prove how smart they r and less time getting things done. i dealt with u types for about ten years. i wouldnt go back to it for 6 figures a year. booksmart idiots

#126 akishore

akishore

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 6,228 posts
  • Interests:Poker, jazz, programming, taekwondo, rock climbing, movies, etc.

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:26 PM

things that are funny in this world:1. pmc2. how pmc criticizes all my no limit hands without once realizing that they were played as a shortstack.3. how i needled pmc to such a degree that he posts 500 replies towards me when i didn't even address any of them.4. how pmc says we MIT types get too fancy with this "slowplaying" trash, but at the same time, we "technical types have no creativity."5. how pmc implies that "german" is mutually exclusive from "booksmart"/"nerdy"/"technical types", etc.this is funny stuff. i <3 you pmc, keep coming with the good stuff. i think i'm done with this thread.have a nice day!aseem
After a long hiatus, my poker blog is back!

#127 pmc

pmc

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:39 PM

lol, asseem, almost 6000 posts and still goin strong. u would think anyone with that many posts would play a better game of poker. when yur short stacked, its all the more better reason to play aggressively, not slow playin. but u wouldnt know that. like i said, u play cards but good players play money. i guarentee if u climb higher up the latter, you'll realize it. i used to disagree with better players just like u and it didnt take me long before i saw they were right. but asseem, that was a long, long time ago. i was stubborn for about a month. u been hard headed for 6000 posts. lord knows how long thats been. really asseem, i'm not throwing a cheap shot at u but yur blog is really full of bad plays. i really wish u could see how serious i am. i almost feel sorry for u. yur not doing anything great in some of yur plays that millions of others r doing too. other than that, most of yur plays r typically weak. u dont raise top pair with top kicker against a weak player because u have a few people to yur left. yur only inviting a draw to out play u there. yur pocket kk hand with an ace on the board was.....i dont know what to say about that one, and yur supposed to be an authority. a book with t.j. and some other champ siad they pretty much shut it off completely on the flop with pocket kk facing an ace. thats day one stuff. i dont know asseem, u better hope yur one of those lucky kind of players. good luck

#128 Abbaddabba

Abbaddabba

breaking even like it's 1999

• Members
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:47 PM

everyone knows the germans build better bridges. the world goes to germany to have a lot of stuff done that the mit nit witts cant figure out. the germans built a stealth wing fighter back in the forties. it was a german that put us on the moon. u want to have a conversation of intelligence, you'll find out i'm not that dumb. i was a mechanical engineer and i didnt go to one day of school for it. yur not talking to a dummy. chief is a creep and i dont know what u r but yur way behind the curve. thats why u guys argue all the time. its in the engineers nature. they spend more time trying to prove how smart they r and less time getting things done. i dealt with u types for about ten years. i wouldnt go back to it for 6 figures a year. booksmart idiots
What the ****?Holy shit. I can't stop laughing at how stupid you are.The funniest part is that you're beyond the threshold of stupidity where you can recognize your own inadequacy. Good luck with ... uhh, life. :club:

#129 pmc

pmc

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:52 PM

another dork with 13,000 posts. do u guys have a life or a girlfriend at least? i'm going out guys and girls. catch u all later

#130 akishore

akishore

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 07:31 PM

pmc said:

another dork with 13,000 posts.
AbbaddabbaTotal posts: 1304lmao, another clear indication of a lack of reading comprehension. or in this case, maybe just lack of reading ability.aseem

#131 pmc

pmc

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:29 PM

1300 or 13,000. whats the difference. 1300 constitutes just as much no life as 13 million

#132 akishore

akishore

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:45 PM

pmc said:

1300 or 13,000. whats the difference.
hmm. seems like you lack some ability in the math department also.difference = 13,000 - 1,300 = 11,700.good luck.aseem

#133 Chief

Chief

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:49 PM

pmc said:

do u guys have a life or a girlfriend at least? i'm going out guys and girls. catch u all later
*5 minutes later*bro i thought you were going out

#134 navybuttons

navybuttons

What?

• Members
  • 5,117 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Diamonds

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:14 AM

reading this heated discussion is really getting me fired up. smooth-calling is the best play. there's no way around that. we'll lose to trips either 7's or if he hits his two outer (asuuming pocket pair) but that's the game. i read people saying we don't want to give him a free card. the answer to that is yes we do. beacuse there's no legit draw out there the free card is exactly what we want to give him. what are we scarred of (if he had 77 he'd probably check the flop? the goal is to get our money in with the best hand. going all in, or making a huge bet after the flop is just going to get what's in the pot already. let's say the turn puts a flush draw out there and villian thinks he can make a semi-bluff with his flush draw since we didn't show strength on the flop. this is the exact situation we want to be in. ( if we can get him pot committed to call an all-in it would be ideal) you'll lose about 1/11 or 1/12 when he hits his queen. but if he makes a pair or picks up a draw (either flush or if turn had been 9 for up and down) we are going to win way more money than we lose when he hits his 4 outer. this doesn't even take into account how much we make when we smooth call A7, AQ, or AJ. if you don't think that it has now become tricky play that wins then you are living in a time when phil helmuth was winning WSOP tournaments.

#135 Actuary

Actuary

• Members
  • 19,028 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:55 PM

couldn't make it thru to the end.PMC wrote:"good players will call someone down with pocket kk if they feel the other guy has pocket aces and not raise with kk. but the next level is to fold those pocket kk on the flop if u feel yur up against pocket aces. thats what strong players do. listen to yur read and execute, not die with the read"that told me everything.He's a cliche.Posting Results really tainted what could have been a much more fruitful discussion imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users