Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:20 PM

offset said:

mtm1980 said:

offset said:

mtm1980 said:

XXEddie said:

this is why 1000 is badlets say your opponent pushes allin....what do you dodoes he have a K or J or does he just think you dont have one
f he re-raises i think you should let it go ... but why would you risk all your chips like that ... look at it like this ... if DN bets the only way he gets called is with a K J AA or the quads ... so why not push 1000.00 out and see what happens insted of pushing it all in ... then when you get called your out of the tournament for good ...matt :club:
Maybe you didn't notice your opponent only has 1700. If he goes all in after you bet 1000 you are getting 3.4-1 odds to call. you have to call the extra 700. It's really not an opinion. It's a fact. If you bet 1000 he will hardly ever fold, but if you bet all in he will often fold thinking "Do I really want to risk my tournament life on a split pot?
ok ... i see what you're saying here ... a 250 chip bet ... just enough to see if he'll commit all his chips maybe?matt :D
wait. I'm confused. Are you talking about the turn? If so, then no, a 250 chip bet is ridiculous. He will often raise, and you will have just given yourself a tough decision.If you're talking about the river then it's still ridiculous. You want to bluff him off his hand so that you can win the whole pot instead of splitting it. a 250 bet into a 2000 chip pot on a full house board will always receive a call and often raise.
ok ... i will agree with you on that point ... however this hand was misplayed early in my opinion ... on the flop and turn you needed more information ... you never know ... for what you say to be correct you would need to be certin that you had the best hand and that you wen't up against quads or a bigger pair ... i don't think you are here ... follow me?matt :D

#22 Fayvren

Fayvren

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 01:17 PM

That's the point ... if he doesn't have the K or J then he may very well have the best hand and he would earn that extra 1000.00 or the pot may just get folded to him ... but by putting all his money in the pot all he's doing is making sure that if he's wrong that he loses all his money. If he bets 1000.00 and gets raised he's either playing a genius or he's beat. See what I mean? matt
Im confused here... If the guy doesnt have a K or a J then the only hand that wins the whole pot is AA. That's the only "bigger pair" hand that beats you.It makes no sense for someone playing either J AK, KK or AA to bet at the flop then check the turn AND the river. The Bet , Check, Check is enough to tell you that you probably have the best hand... playing the board and splitting the pot with the other person.The reason betting 1000 is a bad move IMO is that if he's going to call, he's going to push all in and then that extra 700 commits you to call too. With larger stacks you wont push all in, but here with stacks relatively the same amount as whats in the pot, push and take the pot.The only way you "win" this hand is by betting and making the other guy fold. If he calls you dont win anythign except half the 100 that was limped plus the blinds. The entire idea is that DN does not want to get called and the best way to prevent that is to put the other guys entire tournament on the line. Based on our read we should be pretty certain we're sharing this pot... so why not push and make him fold.

#23 shezzavague

shezzavague

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:46 AM

mtm1980 said:

someone help me here ...i said bet 1000. a value bet. if he had the final 7 so be it ... also he was first in early position when he bet which would tell me too big ones. AK perhaps or another pair. It would seem to me that he either had QQ or JJ or something or he did have the AK. If he did have the AK he would just call down and take it. If he had the smaller pocket pairs he may fold it down to a 1000 bet thinking it was some sort of trap and he was facing a K or the final 7 himself.
Can no-one spot that the confusion comes because you have mis-read the board?7s are irrelevant, 7s don't improve the board.And how can he have JJ when there are three Js on the flop!

#24 Fayvren

Fayvren

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:06 AM

Can no-one spot that the confusion comes because you have mis-read the board? 7s are irrelevant, 7s don't improve the board. And how can he have JJ when there are three Js on the flop!
This is what I thought too when I saw his reply... It seems like the poster is completely misreading the board, or doesnt understand that only the best 5 play... I cant quite figure it out either. Hence the ensuing discussion makes no sense at all.

#25 shezzavague

shezzavague

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:46 PM

even if he thinks more than 5 cards play, he can't think there are five Jacks in the deck!

#26 DESSERTLADY

DESSERTLADY

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:18 AM

Well I really blew this one.I voted bet 1000. I need to get back to my reading and absorbing more than I have lately. :club:
Tina
aka
DESSERTLADY

#27 LPY2005

LPY2005

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:42 AM

This was a fantastic question, especially since I answered it wrong. I said check, fully expecting to split the pot and being satisfied with that. The way the hand was played the chances of being beat are extremely remote. If the guy is holding AA, a J, or a K, he would have to value bet the river, otherwise he is leaving money out there as a small bet would get called expecting to split. Here, the fact that Daniel has position is key to taking this whole pot. This teaches me that I shouldn't be always be satisfied with a split when: 1. the chances of being beat are remote, and 2. gaining the whole pot instead of half will greatly improve my chip stack. Thanks DN, I learned a lot from this hand.
"Poker is not about results. It is about making good decisions" - Greg Raymer
"I'm your huckleberry!" - Doc Holliday

#28 BCsparky

BCsparky

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:18 AM

Isn't your opponent more likely to put you on a steal if you go all-in?Would you move all-in against an unknown opponent if you did have a Jack or King in your hand? Maybe I'm just trying to overthink the situation.

#29 shpaget

shpaget

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,603 posts
  • Interests:beer

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:11 PM

BCsparky said:

Isn't your opponent more likely to put you on a steal if you go all-in?Would you move all-in against an unknown opponent if you did have a Jack or King in your hand? Maybe I'm just trying to overthink the situation.
SOME opponents yes...but MOST won't.Most will not want to risk all their chips for a split pot and assume they are beat. The fact that it's a split pot means the villain has to be twice as sure he's not behind than if he could win outright.If you don't bet all the opponent's chips many opponents will auto-call knowing that they are still in the tournament if they lose the hand.If I had a Jack or King I'd probably bet half the villain's chipstack.

#30 Coyote18

Coyote18

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:14 PM

I know this one is very old but I am just going through these.I think the real question here is why he wouldn't call you? The only thing he can think you have is AK but if you did, you didn't play it very well or how most people would. Putting myself in his shoes, I don't know how he didn't call. You bet out strong after the flop, slowed down with position when the K hit and then went all in? It doesn't add up to me.
$4.40 challenge #3. Stars - TwinsCubsFan

-------------------------------------------------------
| 01 :95th.... 3 pts| 06 : 82nd...3pts| 11 : 6th...36pts| 16 76th...4 pts|
| 02 :115th...2 pts| 07 : 86th....3pts| 12 : 2nd...68pts| 17 89th...3 pts|
| 03 : 69th....4 pts| 08 : 21st..15pts| 13 : 65th....5pts| 18 32nd..11pts
| 04 : 55th....6 pts| 09 : 11th..24pts| 14 : 12th..23pts| 19 115th..2pts|
| 05 : 56th....6 pts| 10 : 33rd..10pts| 15 : 37th...9pts| 20 12th...23pts|
-------------------------------------------------------
Total score: 260 points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users