738 replies to this topic

#21 loxo

loxo

FCP's Resident Aussie!

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:2-7 TD FTW

Posted 14 August 2005 - 10:49 PM

I have been trying it for about an hour and it is amazing what you can get called with. However It does take a huge amount of discipline and patience. I think I will be an interesting experiment and if nothing else it should instill some more discipline into my game.

#22 Rman3911

Rman3911

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 10:52 PM

wouldn't it be more profitable to do this short stacked, so in case you do get outdrawn, you don't lost as much? (basically Malmuth's theory)

#23 pockets

pockets

Testicles

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 10:55 PM

So instead of winning $25 80% of the time, you want to win $10 80% of the time?Also, no.

#24 jlgosse

jlgosse

absolute donkey

• Members
  • 1,056 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Programming, Pizza

Posted 14 August 2005 - 10:59 PM

so when you do NOT get outdrawn, you win less money, right?shitty theory.

#25 Smasharoo

Smasharoo

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:07 PM

wouldn't it be more profitable to do this short stacked, so in case you do get outdrawn, you don't lost as much?No, the opposite.You should buy in for the max, because, again, you're often getting calls when people are drawing completely dead against you.The bigger your stack, the better it works.In fact, it works pretty well against the short stack theory players as well, because they're wiling to call with more marginal hands against a push with AA or KK, and when you flop a set they're calling or moving in with TP because they're striving to avoid post flop play.
I've never played poker.

#26 Forbidden Void

Forbidden Void

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 41 posts

Anyway, to wrap up. I just walked away with $1700 playing 1/2 NL. I played two tables and watched a couple of movies.I know that variance will eventually kick my ass at this game, right?Good thing this was just an experiment. Anyway, I'll stick with 10/20 LHE until I feel comfotable moving up. I can beat that game, and it's not so boring. 1500 bucks on a strategy like this though... you can't beat that. I laugh though, because according to Smash's logic, NL players are the biggest idiots in the world. (At low limits anyway)

#27 SapphireTiger

SapphireTiger

Captain Awesome

• Members
  • 1,540 posts

smash's strategy ruins my pokertracker stats.

#28 kobekatt

kobekatt

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:10 PM

Is there a link or another post with your theory Smash?

#29 Rman3911

Rman3911

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:14 PM

SapphireTiger said:

smash's strategy ruins my pokertracker stats.
Same thing it's doing to me, but I'd suggest when you click on the detail, don't include small stakes NL, I guess.

#30 Smasharoo

Smasharoo

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:20 PM

I laugh though, because according to Smash's logic, NL players are the biggest idiots in the world.I don't think anyone's going to argue that.
I've never played poker.

#31 Rman3911

Rman3911

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:33 PM

Smasharoo said:

wouldn't it be more profitable to do this short stacked, so in case you do get outdrawn, you don't lost as much?No, the opposite.You should buy in for the max, because, again, you're often getting calls when people are drawing completely dead against you.The bigger your stack, the better it works.In fact, it works pretty well against the short stack theory players as well, because they're wiling to call with more marginal hands against a push with AA or KK, and when you flop a set they're calling or moving in with TP because they're striving to avoid post flop play.
So saying that they are drawing completely dead means the only way (if you flop a set) that you would be going all in would be if it's top set? Say you flop a middle set, you go all in, then AA calls you, and proceeds to catch another A once the money is all in, that would definitely suck losing a decent amount of money on a suckout. So explain the situation here. Thanks

#32 Batch

Batch

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:33 PM

Smasharoo said:

I laugh though, because according to Smash's logic, NL players are the biggest idiots in the world.I don't think anyone's going to argue that.
someone have a link to that strategy or know it off hand.I am crushing a couple of tables right now and would love to try it.What limits is it good for?

#33 hexag1

hexag1

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:34 PM

the strategy works for most low stakes NL games [full ring games]. you can draw to hands after the flop, but its harder to get action when you call the flop and hit the flush on the turn.sometimes you will also make a wheel or broadway straight [A-5, 10-A] and these hands are profitable, but vulnerable as well. also, try to play in fresh games with players just bought in. these games are plentiful on UB, PP and FT.you have to try to pick up pots when you hit TPTK as well. oh and its sssllllloooooooowwwww.
take it easy....

#34 Smasharoo

Smasharoo

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:40 PM

So saying that they are drawing completely dead means the only way (if you flop a set) that you would be going all in would be if it's top set? Say you flop a middle set, you go all in, then AA calls you, and proceeds to catch another A once the money is all in, that would definitely suck losing a decent amount of money on a suckout.Yeah, they'd be drawing live there and you'd only be a 90/10 favorite if you move in on the flop....That seems like you're getting the best of it, though.
I've never played poker.

#35 MasterLJ

MasterLJ

Bus Fare Gambler

• Members
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:45 PM

Smasharoo said:

It really depends what you value more from poker, money or playing/skill.The skill is making the most money. If you don't see that, you need a new hobby. I hear making ships in a bottle takes a lot of skill...
Thanks for judging the value system of every poker player. Blanket statements are fun!Some people play to play well at any stake, regardless of money take. Some people play for fun because they are drunk and treat the table like a roulette wheel. Some people play to make money via skill. I could go on for hours, but you're a smart guy smash, you get the point.
Me Blog (Updated: **12/22/2006**)

#36 Rman3911

Rman3911

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:48 PM

Smasharoo said:

So saying that they are drawing completely dead means the only way (if you flop a set) that you would be going all in would be if it's top set? Say you flop a middle set, you go all in, then AA calls you, and proceeds to catch another A once the money is all in, that would definitely suck losing a decent amount of money on a suckout.Yeah, they'd be drawing live there and you'd only be a 90/10 favorite if you move in on the flop....That seems like you're getting the best of it, though.
How bout middle set? Just assume your hand is the best and push? As for the 90/10, that's fair enough, I guess.

#37 checkymcfold

checkymcfold

almost back to real stakes.

• Members
  • 9,114 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:night baseball

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:50 PM

ha, thanks for reminding me about this... i forgot that i can make more seven-tabling this at 100 and 200 max NL tables with virtually no variance than i can at the superdonkey 10/20 table that was eating me alive with one and two outers.and i can get really drunk and not worry about fucking up outside of misclicks, so there's that. :club: while i was typing this, i just took down another 600 dollar pot with a set of sevens.tally thus far: fifteen minutes of this boring, but way easy, strategy: up 800 dollars.so yeah, thanks smash, for ending my bad run.

#38 Batch

Batch

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:53 PM

checkymcfold said:

ha, thanks for reminding me about this... i forgot that i can make more seven-tabling this at 100 and 200 max NL tables with virtually no variance than i can at the superdonkey 10/20 table that was eating me alive with one and two outers.and i can get really drunk and not worry about fucking up outside of misclicks, so there's that. :club: while i was typing this, i just took down another 600 dollar pot with a set of sevens.tally thus far: fifteen minutes of this boring, but way easy, strategy: up 800 dollars.so yeah, thanks smash.
once again smash.What is the strat?

#39 Smasharoo

Smasharoo

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:54 PM

Some people play to play well at any stake, regardless of money take. Some people play for fun because they are drunk and treat the table like a roulette wheel. Some people play to make money via skill. I could go on for hours, but you're a smart guy smash, you get the point.That you can't deal with being wrong?Yeah. We all get it.Good luck.
I've never played poker.

#40 checkymcfold

checkymcfold

almost back to real stakes.

• Members
  • 9,114 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:night baseball

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:56 PM

Batch said:

once again smash.What is the strat?
it's basically this: go all in every time you know you have a monster advantage. what you do to get that monster advantage is up to you. the very simple way smash advocates is to limp PPs and suited aces and push the flop if they flop a set or flush. sooooper easy. if you want to get fancy, play some hands that make the nut straight, too. but not too many, or you'll look like you're getting too trixy and smash will make fun of you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users