Jump to content


a serious ? about praying for you to fail


  • Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

#21 nopunk

nopunk

    Poker Forum Nut

  • Members
  • 322 posts
  • Location:Kirksville

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:27 PM

Quote

pray in tounges during prayer meetings
Catholics do not routinely speak in tongues. It is a very rare occurance. Please, don't confuse Catholicism with some of those 'crazy' Fundamentalist Christian religions.

Quote

I would tell her she needs to pray for her cults priests to stop raping young boys.
I find this to be in very bad taste and extremely uncalled for. Catholicism, and Christianity in general, is one of the oldest religions on the planet. Hardly a cult.If you don't have anything meaningful to contribute, then you should say nothing at all.

#22 Spademan

Spademan

    Poker Forum God

  • Members
  • 4,977 posts
  • Location:NC

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:33 PM

nopunk said:

Quote

I would tell her she needs to pray for her cults priests to stop raping young boys.
I find this to be in very bad taste and extremely uncalled for. Catholicism, and Christianity in general, is one of the oldest religions on the planet. Hardly a cult.If you don't have anything meaningful to contribute, then you should say nothing at all.
First of all, xtianity and it's offshoots are nowhere NEAR the oldest religions in the world, it's absurd to say so, and evidence of some form of indoctrination.Secondly, Catholic priest have raped young boys, and been covered up for time and time again. And you say me stating that FACT is uncalled for, and say nothing about that nastiness. Sick.Finally, a cult can be defined as: A religious system of worship. So, semantically you can't find fault with the term, even if you don't aggree with it's uglier connotations like I do.Go dance with some snakes or something, and leave the rhetoric to those with a knack for it.
'"Luck" is people taking the laws of probability personally; Luck is the excitement of bad math.'

#23 Diabolical

Diabolical

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:37 PM

hey nopunk, they speak in tounges. On a regular basis. They Have prayer meetings once a week. They have retreats. They are Catholic. I use to be part of it when i was a kid. I know they do these things on a regular basis. Have you ever been in a room with about 20-30 people and they're all speaking in tounges at the same time? It's a little scary. Kind of like a cult. But, when you have gone to a few meetings, it becomes normal. And you even will want to speak in tounges yourself.I just think that this girl next door to me prays because she believes that it does some good to pray. Like if a family member is coming home on a slippery road and she prays that they'll be safe. Or she prays that her friend will be ok after getting into a car accident and having to go through surgery to survive.If she believes that praying for these things helped the situation come to a happy ending, then she also believes that if she prays for me to fail at poker, then it will happen and i will fail. That, my friends, sounds like a witch to me.

#24 NickTheKid

NickTheKid

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, Ontario
  • Interests:Poker, Film, Script Writing

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:42 PM

Diabolical said:

So what if my name is Diabolical. Does that make it OK to pray against me?Why don't you pay attention to the main point of the thread? Typical religious fanatics! You can't argue for the girl praying against me cause she is obviously wrong. So you look for something to hate me for.  I call Buull censored on you!!
It was a joke you stupid shit.BTW: I hope you poker ability is better than your ability to read peoples minds, because I am far from religious, I'll say it again.You stupid shit.

---
Happy trails, Hans.

#25 Herr Mensch

Herr Mensch

    Poker Forum Nut

  • Members
  • 254 posts
  • Location:Clemson, SC
  • Interests:Poker

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:53 PM

nopunk said:

I find this to be in very bad taste and extremely uncalled for. Catholicism, and Christianity in general, is one of the oldest religions on the planet. Hardly a cult.
There is exactly one difference between a 'cult' and a 'religion'. Size.Religions are simply big cults. Cults are religions that haven't hit the mainstream yet.Mensch

#26 angler

angler

    Poker Forum Nut

  • Members
  • 430 posts
  • Location:Tim Hortons
  • Interests:Soccer, Music, Travelling and Coffee.

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:55 PM

Uncalled for?Nopunk, give your f 'in head a shake. Go ahead and defend it you ignorant s hit. Let's call a spade a garden tool for once. The Catholic church IS guilty of this and worse, protecting those leeches.It is common knowledge that priests representing your church were involved in molesting children and just because someone mentions it bluntly does not excuse that tradgedy or mean it didn't happen and doesn't. Don't try and pretend that it didn't happen by saying it is in bad taste when the act in question is of an infinitely greater wrong.

#27 Diabolical

Diabolical

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:56 PM

There have been many times these past few years that i would get bad beat after bad beat. I'm not one to throw fits at the table. So i never did any of that. But, when my friend and i would be driving home from the casino, I would tell him that I think God hates me. I know math pretty well at the tables, and i've seen some situations where my opponents would catch their "one outer" over and over again and send me to the rail. It happened in succession too many times it seemed. I was convinced that God was against me but i couldn't prove it. Hahaha (remember, i didn't know at the time that she was prayin for me to fail)

#28 NickTheKid

NickTheKid

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, Ontario
  • Interests:Poker, Film, Script Writing

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:59 PM

Diabolical said:

There have been many times these past few years that i would get bad beat after bad beat. I'm not one to throw fits at the table. So i never did any of that. But, when my friend and i would be driving home from the casino, I would tell him that I think God hates me. I know math pretty well at the tables, and i've seen some situations where my opponents would catch their "one outer" over and over again and send me to the rail. It happened in succession too many times it seemed. I was convinced that God was against me but i couldn't prove it. Hahaha (remember, i didn't know at the time that she was prayin for me to fail)
:club: Wow, I'm glad I am not religious... very glad.

---
Happy trails, Hans.

#29 nopunk

nopunk

    Poker Forum Nut

  • Members
  • 322 posts
  • Location:Kirksville

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:18 PM

Diabolical:I'm absolutely positive that the vast VAST majority of Catholics never have, nor ever will speak in tongues. I'm also positive that praying for the failure of others is not something Catholics do on a regular basis. It sounds to me as if your neighbors are involved in some very non-Catholic things; they can call it whatever they want. I believe what you are saying, but I'm telling you that what they do doesn't hold for the vast majority of Christians.As for being in a room with 20-30 people speaking in tongues, no I have never been a party to that. I would find it frightening. As to that, the Catholic Church teaches that some people do speak in tongues. Also, it is very rare and comes in twos, not groups of 20-30. Meaning, one person speaks in tongues, one person interprets. Obviously, these people have been lead astray at some point or another. Thats all I know on the subject, so I have nothing else to say on the matter. I hope I have helped to alleviate some of your ignorance on the matter.Spademan:Christianity is nearing 2000 years old. To say it doesn't rank among the oldest practiced religions on the planet is absolutely ridiculous.Your statement was uncalled for. It being a fact makes little difference as to whether it is called for or not. Surely you would agree that interjecting a few Holocaust statistics into the story of Hannukah would be uncalled for. This is the same thing. It provides no meaningful addition to the discussion and only serves to inflame others.I can find fault with the term cult. Whether or not there is a definition denoting a simple system of believes, you obviously didn't mean it that way. It was said merely to inflame. Connotatively the word cult is very negative.Lastly, your skills in rhetoric aren't superlative, don't flatter yourself. This will be my last post on the subject. I'm not going to get into a flame war with you. Your post was the post of a Troll and I won't reward you with what you want. I will do one thing, though. I am going to pray for you. Whether you like it or not.Forum:I'm a long time lurker, first...well...second time poster. I don't want to seem overly fanatical here, I'm not. I'm just trying to set the record at least a little straighter about my religion.Thanks

#30 HangukMiguk

HangukMiguk

    I'm so scannable.

  • Members
  • 13,685 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:China

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:19 PM

The protestant preachers are also guilty of this too. Maybe just as much so as catholic priests.However, this is more publicized due to the fact that one centralized governing religious body has protected these priests, whereas matters are taken into the hands of local authorities when it comes to protestant preachers.I say that the catholic priests should not be above the law in this, instead of just getting bounced to another parish whenever they get caught.


#31 Diabolical

Diabolical

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:27 PM

this place they pray at is a well known catholic church. It's one of the Missions in California. You are right that alot of catholics don't speak in tounges, but the rest of what you said is incorrect because of what i saw and know is goin on at present time. You souldn't call me ignorant when you really don't know if i am ignorant. ........................It makes me think your ignorant.

#32 Spademan

Spademan

    Poker Forum God

  • Members
  • 4,977 posts
  • Location:NC

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:29 PM

nopunk said:

Spademan:Christianity is nearing 2000 years old. To say it doesn't rank among the oldest practiced religions on the planet is absolutely ridiculous.Your statement was uncalled for. It being a fact makes little difference as to whether it is called for or not. Surely you would agree that interjecting a few Holocaust statistics into the story of Hannukah would be uncalled for. This is the same thing. It provides no meaningful addition to the discussion and only serves to inflame others.I can find fault with the term cult. Whether or not there is a definition denoting a simple system of believes, you obviously didn't mean it that way. It was said merely to inflame. Connotatively the word cult is very negative.Lastly, your skills in rhetoric aren't superlative, don't flatter yourself. This will be my last post on the subject. I'm not going to get into a flame war with you. Your post was the post of a Troll and I won't reward you with what you want. I will do one thing, though. I am going to pray for you. Whether you like it or not.Thanks
Did you mean *superfluous*?Your equivocation on the term cult is meaningless, you cannot fault a proper use of the word.There were religions LONG before jebus came around, and no matter how many times you say it, your cult isn't the oldest, or even close.Yet again, you take issue with a COMMENT about your cults authority figures raping and covering up rape, but take no issue with the acts themselves. Again, disgusting.Don't post, you'll conceal your ignorance on these matters more effectively.
'"Luck" is people taking the laws of probability personally; Luck is the excitement of bad math.'

#33 Chiggleslap

Chiggleslap

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:35 PM

Spademan said:

nopunk said:

Quote

I would tell her she needs to pray for her cults priests to stop raping young boys.
I find this to be in very bad taste and extremely uncalled for. Catholicism, and Christianity in general, is one of the oldest religions on the planet. Hardly a cult.If you don't have anything meaningful to contribute, then you should say nothing at all.
First of all, xtianity and it's offshoots are nowhere NEAR the oldest religions in the world, it's absurd to say so, and evidence of some form of indoctrination.Secondly, Catholic priest have raped young boys, and been covered up for time and time again. And you say me stating that FACT is uncalled for, and say nothing about that nastiness. Sick.Finally, a cult can be defined as: A religious system of worship. So, semantically you can't find fault with the term, even if you don't aggree with it's uglier connotations like I do.Go dance with some snakes or something, and leave the rhetoric to those with a knack for it.
What he said.

#34 Chiggleslap

Chiggleslap

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:41 PM

nopunk said:

Diabolical:I'm absolutely positive that the vast VAST majority of Catholics never have, nor ever will speak in tongues. I'm also positive that praying for the failure of others is not something Catholics do on a regular basis. It sounds to me as if your neighbors are involved in some very non-Catholic things; they can call it whatever they want. I believe what you are saying, but I'm telling you that what they do doesn't hold for the vast majority of Christians.As for being in a room with 20-30 people speaking in tongues, no I have never been a party to that. I would find it frightening. As to that, the Catholic Church teaches that some people do speak in tongues. Also, it is very rare and comes in twos, not groups of 20-30. Meaning, one person speaks in tongues, one person interprets. Obviously, these people have been lead astray at some point or another. Thats all I know on the subject, so I have nothing else to say on the matter. I hope I have helped to alleviate some of your ignorance on the matter.Spademan:Christianity is nearing 2000 years old. To say it doesn't rank among the oldest practiced religions on the planet is absolutely ridiculous.Your statement was uncalled for. It being a fact makes little difference as to whether it is called for or not. Surely you would agree that interjecting a few Holocaust statistics into the story of Hannukah would be uncalled for. This is the same thing. It provides no meaningful addition to the discussion and only serves to inflame others.I can find fault with the term cult. Whether or not there is a definition denoting a simple system of believes, you obviously didn't mean it that way. It was said merely to inflame. Connotatively the word cult is very negative.Lastly, your skills in rhetoric aren't superlative, don't flatter yourself. This will be my last post on the subject. I'm not going to get into a flame war with you. Your post was the post of a Troll and I won't reward you with what you want. I will do one thing, though. I am going to pray for you. Whether you like it or not.Forum:I'm a long time lurker, first...well...second time poster. I don't want to seem overly fanatical here, I'm not. I'm just trying to set the record at least a little straighter about my religion.Thanks
This might be your last post on the matter, but I certainly hope you don't stop thinking about the subject. Keep reading. A lot of these guys are a$$holes, but there's some significance to what they're saying. I don't care what religion you or anyone else practices. All I care about is that you're not blind to reality.

#35 faisal

faisal

    Poker Forum Regular

  • Members
  • 144 posts
  • Location:Calgary,Alberta

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:42 PM

teneight said:

she just wants you to fail, so you can take all your anger towards her when you bang her. HIT THAT S*HIT BOY!!!!


#36 Spademan

Spademan

    Poker Forum God

  • Members
  • 4,977 posts
  • Location:NC

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:23 AM

Three men walk into a bar. A priest, a pedophile and a homosexual. Oh... shiz, nevermind, I can't finish the joke.I can't remember who the other two guys were.
'"Luck" is people taking the laws of probability personally; Luck is the excitement of bad math.'

#37 Dhall901

Dhall901

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 830 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Orlando, Fl.
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE MTT PLO8

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:37 AM

Nostalgae said:

Doesn't the bible say something about not gambling though?
your icon rocks

#38 Dhall901

Dhall901

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 830 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Orlando, Fl.
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE MTT PLO8

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:41 AM

Dhall901 said:

Nostalgae said:

Doesn't the bible say something about not gambling though?
your icon rocks
Oh, and religion is lame because people always have different beliefs. It's just something else to argue about. On a happier note, tell the chick to chill and teach her how to play cards..THEN hit that :club: lol

#39 chipsnski

chipsnski

    Poker Forum Regular

  • Members
  • 158 posts
  • Location:Baton Rouge

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:47 AM

Diabolical said:

There have been many times these past few years that i would get bad beat after bad beat. I'm not one to throw fits at the table. So i never did any of that. But, when my friend and i would be driving home from the casino, I would tell him that I think God hates me. I know math pretty well at the tables, and i've seen some situations where my opponents would catch their "one outer" over and over again and send me to the rail. It happened in succession too many times it seemed. I was convinced that God was against me but i couldn't prove it. Hahaha (remember, i didn't know at the time that she was prayin for me to fail)
So why don't you pray every night for profitablillity and people not to hit their one outers? Counter the prayers dude.Oh yeah, next time you talk to her, tell her you have been praying. Expecially when you are on your nutflush draw and after that 3rd diamond comes you usually rejoice and scream out 'Thank you jesus!"

#40 Douglas333

Douglas333

    Poker Forum Nut

  • Members
  • 254 posts
  • Location:Cleveland

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:54 AM

Diabolical said:

IS A FORM OF WITCHCRAFT.
You had it right from the start.Thats rediculous, and as far as "giving" your life to jesus, doesn't the old saying go god helps those who help themselves. Just keep playing and winning (hopefully) then invite jesus to your pent house.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users