1162 replies to this topic

#21 Swacker Dave

Swacker Dave

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Duh!

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:56 PM

For the marketing reasons alone they should keep him.... Jagr has proven athletes can still be effective into their 40's. Sign him.
.ninja {
color: black;
visibility: hidden;
}

#22 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,266 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:15 AM

The basic statistical position for Bautista's contract - basically that if he ages as well as could reasonably be expected, he could look at $120M for 5 years. That's a higher number than I expected to be honest, though it's worth reiterating that is not based on a normal aging curve - maybe Bautista's history suggests some benefit of the doubt here, but probably not 90th percentile.

Anyway, if the numbers suggest a fair contract is $100M-$120M, Bautista would probably be overestimating his value LESS than most players if he said $150M (which he denies) and that's ignoring the marketing benefits, etc.
Long signatures are really annoying.

#23 serge

serge

Leafs nation Grand Poobah

• Members
  • 48,778 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:29 AM

What do you guys think hypothetically JoeyBats brings back in a trade today?

Or on July 31?

If for some reason the season doesn't go as planned and we are out of it, then it makes more sense to trade him? It all depends on the return obviously.

I love JoeyBats and would love to have him for 5 years but we have all seen players signed to long term deals at this age that have crippled the team. I do believe there is a likely chance Bautista is different but maybe not.
Owner of the Mustangs, 2014-2015 AHL Eastern Division Champs

Lets make America Great Again. Trump 2016

#24 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,915 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:50 AM

nah, his value to the team even just for this year is huge. If the Jays were out of the playoff picture a few months in then sure, but not now.

#25 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Hockey, Hockey pools

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:03 AM

View Postserge, on 24 February 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

I love JoeyBats and would love to have him for 5 years but we have all seen players signed to long term deals at this age that have crippled the team.

I'm sorry Serge, but you always say THIS and I dont know what you are referring to. Especially in baseball, how would it cripple the Jays? Can you give an example of a team in baseball that was crippled by a contract and no longer able to properly compete? Hell the Jays traded away Vernon Wells' awful deal.
Its no different than Rogers just arbitrarily setting their own budgets in the future at whatever number they please, which they do. If anything, after last year, the budget should be sky high and money should be next to no object to win.

#26 Zach6668

Zach6668

FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,110 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:10 AM

Serge <3's hyperbole.

It's barely even an issue in the hard cap NHL. How many terrible deals has Philly been able to move? Hell, Clarkson was traded... Lol
QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#27 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

Unenjoyable Annoying Retard

• Members
  • 37,751 posts
  • Interests:sports, music, movies, photography
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hi/Lo Chicago

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:28 AM

Well Ryan Howard's contract turned out to be terrible, but I'm not sure it crippled the Phillies. I don't know...
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

#28 pezeveng

pezeveng

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:35 AM

The worst ones I can think of were BJ Ryan, Burnette, Romero, and Wells.

But not the end of the world with any of those contracts.

#29 serge

serge

• Members
  • 48,778 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:11 AM

View PostMapleLeafpoker, on 24 February 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

I'm sorry Serge, but you always say THIS and I dont know what you are referring to. Especially in baseball, how would it cripple the Jays? Can you give an example of a team in baseball that was crippled by a contract and no longer able to properly compete? Hell the Jays traded away Vernon Wells' awful deal.
Its no different than Rogers just arbitrarily setting their own budgets in the future at whatever number they please, which they do. If anything, after last year, the budget should be sky high and money should be next to no object to win.

As much as you like to believe that there is no cap in baseball, therefore you can throw $100s millions without worrying about it , the team still has a budget.

I also believe it's harder for Rogers to justify to shareholders losing money on an investment , rather than some rich billionaire owner.

Rogers has a budget. Sure that budget will increase if it needs to , they still have to make sound financial decisions. If not in an ideal world David Price, Clayton Kershaw would be starting for the Jays in April.

#30 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,915 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:25 AM

new reports are Bautista is looking for longer than 5 years and more than $150m, but less than $30m cap hit. I can't imagine even he is ambitious enough to seek a contract that pays him past the age of 42, so my guess is he is asking for 7 years/$175 million, basically Robinson Cano/Albert Pujols/Miggy Cabrera money and term (all those guys signed through their age 42 season at $24m+)

#31 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Hockey, Hockey pools

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:29 AM

yes, fully aware teams have a budget Serge, hence why I noted as a fan we have no idea what they will set their budget at every year.

View PostMapleLeafpoker, on 24 February 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

Its no different than Rogers just arbitrarily setting their own budgets in the future at whatever number they please, which they do.

If they dont sign Bautista, do you think that means they will for sure use that 30mill a year on something else? I dont think we know that, so as far as the roster is concerned, it may be "crippled" by Rogers themselves, even if they don't resign him.
In baseball, you dont get crippled by bad deals. You get crippled by your owners budget, whatever it may be. Doesnt mean money=success, but your argument was that this might cripple the Jays, and it wont. There is no cap, so its entirely up to the ownership to spend as they please or spend nothing at all no matter how few bad deals they have on the books.

#32 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,266 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:30 AM

That's interesting, and I'm a bit surprised thatBautista would want a longer term. Not disappointed though. Difference between him and all of those guys (I have not double-checked this) is that they were all a couple years younger when they signed their deals. It is one thing to sign a deal paying a guy $24M for his age-42 season when he is 32 and that's the price you get for having him for $30M in his age-33 year...it's another when the deal onyl starts when he is 35-36.

He is going to have to take enormous discounts if he wants a deal that long - I would guess considering the length of time in the future and other factors, most teams would assign the last years at close to a 0 value.

#33 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,266 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:31 AM

Also, it is worth pointing out that while Bautista certainly seems to love baseball, he is also a thoughtful intelligent guy who obviously has interests outside of just playing. You've gotta wonder if other recently-retired guys might suggest that he himself would regret signing a 7-year deal starting when he is 35.

#34 pezeveng

pezeveng

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:10 AM

View Postmrdannyg, on 24 February 2016 - 09:31 AM, said:

Also, it is worth pointing out that while Bautista certainly seems to love baseball, he is also a thoughtful intelligent guy who obviously has interests outside of just playing. You've gotta wonder if other recently-retired guys might suggest that he himself would regret signing a 7-year deal starting when he is 35.

I am hoping he will be on the MBL network when he's done playing. Him and Pedro Martinez would make a great show, both are extremely honest and baseball knowledge is off the charts.

#35 serge

serge

• Members
  • 48,778 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:17 AM

View Postpezeveng, on 24 February 2016 - 10:10 AM, said:

I am hoping he will be on the MBL network when he's done playing. Him and Pedro Martinez would make a great show, both are extremely honest and baseball knowledge is off the charts.

Pedro is awesome

#36 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:24 AM

View Postserge, on 24 February 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

Pedro is awesome

My memory of Pedro is him throwing an old man to the ground

#37 pezeveng

pezeveng

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:47 AM

View PostBabying, on 24 February 2016 - 10:24 AM, said:

My memory of Pedro is him throwing an old man to the ground

Watch MLB tonight with Reynolds and Pedro, they are very informative.

On kinda the same topic, excited to have Dan Shulman back calling Jays games.

#38 serge

serge

• Members
  • 48,778 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

Sort of cool watching the Jays game in the poker room today.

80 degrees outside. Summer is here!!!!

#39 pezeveng

pezeveng

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:43 AM

Anyone heard of this kid before?

http://www.lohud.com...debut/81335846/

http://nypost.com/20...new-yankee-way/

#40 pezeveng

pezeveng

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:13 AM

Cubs are highest win total at 93.5 over -135. I Also checked the HR bets on bet365 and its across the majors not just NL.

I emailed bet365 to get me odds for Kyle Schwarber as he's not available. I will let you guys know when I get a number.

Here's the rest of the bets.

http://www.bet365.co...?&cb=1032645746

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users