97 replies to this topic

#41 hank213

hank213

inventor of the tactical turtleneck..the tactilneck

• Members
  • 9,517 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:40 PM

Have you ever had Garrison Bros?
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

#42 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:49 AM

never had it. I have heard nothing but bad things--probably because it is priced so aggressively and typically very young. I would like to see more brands take off, but I doubt Garrison will. My guess is that Michters, Willett, High West, and Smooth Ambler will be the smaller players that outlive the craze. Maybe not all of those brands will be around, I don't know.
QUOTE (Spademan @ Thursday, April 5th, 2012, 2:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.

#43 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:09 PM

great read:
http://redwhiteandbo...f-counterfeits/
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.

#44 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:12 PM

Did a tasting of a few bourbons today for under $25. William Larue Weller 2015, George T Stagg 2015, Pappy 15, Van Winkle Rye.

zero burn on the pappy 15--a super nice version of Old Weller Antique. when people talk about a bourbon being 'young', you'll know it if you try OWA side by side with pappy 15.

WLW tastes nothing like what I've had from the pappy/weller line, and I can't tell if it's due to the proof, or what. it's REALLY good, but just weirded me out.

GTS '15 was great, honestly couldn't tell the difference between it and the '13 GTS. I suspect the year distinction is just bullshit.

Van Winkle Rye was very good, but in no situation would I ever pick it over pappy 15. surprisingly, it goes for $100+ more on the secondary. I don't have anything much to say about the taste, other than it seems similar to sazerac rye (baby saz).

anyway, it's nice to now be able to say I've had some more of the highly sought after bourbons. hard to imagine myself ever paying secondary prices for any of them.

#45 pezeveng

pezeveng

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:12 PM

Crown Royal of all companies!

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...nipeg-1.3376220

#46 JubilantLankyLad

JubilantLankyLad

you can't see me!

• Members
  • 9,397 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PANDA

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:35 PM

Stopped in at my favourite store today to see if they had any of that crown (ha!) and picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 small batch. Honestly not too impressed - it reminds me of why inused to not like bourbon; too sweet. At least it was only $32CAD.
there were no special effects, no special effects.

#47 Theraflu

Theraflu

I like beer.

• Members
  • 7,065 posts
  • Interests:Addictions

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:37 AM

That was my most recent purchase as well. It's pretty fine. I wouldn't say too sweet, but just nothing special going on.
I'd lend a hand, but it's stuck in the fist and gun position.

#48 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:10 AM

never tried it. I have never seen anybody swearing by it or anything. the barrel proof Elijah Craig (mentioned in the OP) is really really good. same age, supposedly, just cherry picking the barrels that have a certain flavor profile, released a few times per year.

#49 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:49 PM

a coworker of mine has been building a monster collection over the last several months, buying anything he believed could be resold. he and I make pretty similar money, but he pays quite a bit more in rent, and has student loan debt, credit card debt, and recently, very costly car troubles. this guy spent about $900 in one trip to the Willett distillery, which is actually kind of hard to do, because they have a four bottle limit.

he's going to market now, and I think his angle is that people will pay a little more now that the prime hunting season is over. he's right, but he has been servicing what is probably $4-5k in whiskey credit card debt for a few months now. he was super loose with his buying standards, so on quite a few bottles, shipping is going to crush him. I would be surprised if he can squeeze more than $1k profit out of his inventory.

I look at this behavior, and obviously this supports what scram has been saying. I also can't help but compare what he's doing to what I did in college--focus on a hobby at the expense of something way more impactful to the bottom line.

#50 hank213

hank213

inventor of the tactical turtleneck..the tactilneck

• Members
  • 9,517 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:40 PM

while strat gently weeps...

http://www.cnbc.com/...-destroyed.html
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

#51 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:56 AM

I think it's silly but I understand why. I am guessing those bottles would have went for $20k+ just because of the news story.

#52 JubilantLankyLad

JubilantLankyLad

you can't see me!

• Members
  • 9,397 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:38 PM

Bought a bottle of wild turkey rare breed today. Tasting to commence shortly - at 111.8 proof I think I'll have to add some water but I'll try it beat first. There was also a bottle of Evan Williams single barrel but I didn't pick that one up.

#53 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:16 PM

I like WT rare breed quite a lot. Very good value bourbon--goes for like $36-40 here.

Elijah Craig announced that they are dropping the age statement on their 12yr. I honestly had never tried it, which is an oversight considering how cheap it is.

#54 JubilantLankyLad

JubilantLankyLad

you can't see me!

• Members
  • 9,397 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:48 PM

Yeah I liked the Rare Breed a lot. It was fine neat and I didn't have to cut it at all, very smooth at cash strength. I got it for $40CAD so even cheaper than you say, which is astounding considering how much more expensive booze is in Canada generally.

I really don't like the EC I bought; you're not missing out on anything IMO.

#55 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:31 AM

I don't know why they call it cask strength. there are other brands that really are straight from the barrel, and there is always batch variation for the proof. Rare breed has been produced at 111.8 for like a year+, which tells me they are specifically aiming for that proof, which is impossible to consistently hit without adding water.

tldr there are a number of legally enforced phrases/terms, but single barrel, small batch, barrel proof, barrel number listing, etc. are not.

#56 Theraflu

Theraflu

I like beer.

• Members
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:51 AM

Been sipping on a bottle of regular Jefferson's. Not great, similar to the Elijah Craig, but not quite as sweet. A friend has the Reserve, and it's definitely much better.

#57 JubilantLankyLad

JubilantLankyLad

you can't see me!

• Members
  • 9,397 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:12 AM

Yeah Rare Breed is a blend so cask strength is clearly going to be a euphamism and not literal.

#58 Theraflu

Theraflu

I like beer.

• Members
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:11 PM

Posted Image

Got some of this. 108 proof. A nice burn, lots of flavor, really opened up after the ice melted. Pretty enjoyable for $35.

#59 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,913 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:32 PM

My brother just sent me a pic of some Bourbon he bought for us to drink when I go visit him in a couple of weeks.

Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year "Lot B"

Elijah Craig Single Barrel 18 year

Any good? Do I have to man up and drink these straight or can I mix 'em?

#60 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:11 PM

I have had EC23, and it isn't anything to write home about. I am sure EC18 is good, but the bourbon nerds say that 12-15 years is about the sweet spot for bourbon aged in Kentucky/Indiana, since the seasons here are harsher than in Scotland. any longer than that in the barrel, and you start to get this strong oaky taste. EC12 is a little bit on the oaky side, even. so I wouldn't blame you for mixing EC18.

Lot B is a phenomenal bourbon, all around. No alcohol burn whatsoever. I would not mix it with anything but water / ice. Spend some time just smelling your pour--it's ridiculous.

I don't know your brother, but some bourbon people react very negatively to any mixing at all. Just as a reference point, the bottles are worth about $400 apiece on the secondary market. I know it's not overly relevant, etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users