• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 Ron_Mexico

Ron_Mexico

You mess with the bull, you'll get the horns

• Members
  • 33,060 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:48 AM

I was just in a total wine in Altamonte Springs. Didn't see anything from the thread. Just good Woodforde, since I put it in Diet Coke
I make $31,000 dollars a year and I have a home.

#22 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

View PostScroom, on 15 November 2015 - 03:50 PM, said:

This bourbon thing has Beanie Baby elements to it.
Has it entered the 'full ego' phase yet where the uber-desirable brand/vintage has been crowned and the dumbest participants are hysterical in driving up the price to get (whatever that is)? Because that's when you know the pain is just around the corner...

http://www.wsj.com/a...rrel-1418004595

Seems bourbon makers learned a lesson from the ammo market. Noting drives buying and hording like artificial scarcity.
I hope you're right, I really do. nothing would make me happier than to be able to find really good bourbon, whenever I want it, for non-ridiculous prices.

Elijah Craig 18--mentioned as being $39 in that article--was released this year at a new MSRP of $120. Larceny is a great wheated bourbon, but it isn't scarce, probably because it isn't from Buffalo Trace/Sazerac.

Not much else has changed since Dec 2014, other than the idea that one can go driving around and find stuff like George T Stagg in random places. there's too much money to be made... anyone involved in the process will be giving friends the heads up on when and where to show up for all the bottles (distributor employee, truck driver, owner of store, employee of store, etc). finding a case of George T Stagg at MSRP is like a $3k windfall.
QUOTE (Spademan @ Thursday, April 5th, 2012, 2:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.

#23 Scroom

Scroom

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:wrhsf236yu

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:37 PM

The same went for Starting Lineup figurines in the early 90's.
This is not sustainable. It takes nothing- N--O--T--H--I--N--G - for most any of these breweries to double, triple production capacity. Bourbon is straight commodity product. Overproduction will occur shortly, once the people apt to horde have gotten their fill and the panic subsides. Then, things return to a sane equilibrium.

Classic 'greater fool' market.
Posted Image

#24 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:43 AM

the only problem is that there is no good way to artificially age bourbon. some distilleries do heat cycling but it isn't a perfect solution.

my thinking is that the craze dies down before supply catches up... mostly because I have never seen anything like this last the 10 additional years it would take for all the allocated stuff to be aged appropriately. if they were REALLY on the ball, the earliest production increases would have happened in 2010 or so.

I think scotch is a pretty reasonable comparison. I believe there is a Costco brand 18 year old scotch that costs like $40. there's literally no reason why that won't eventually happen for bourbon.
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.

#25 Scroom

Scroom

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:wrhsf236yu

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

Its entirely possible that bourbon manufacturers realized that there was a consumer surplus and they were leaving cash on the table relative to what their dumber customers were willing to pay (watch and guitar manufacturers realized this, too), but the 'scarcity' factor is horseshit.

It may never be cheap again but the mania we're seeing is classic greater-fool stuff and as sure as the sun rises, there will be a time when people look back on it and chuckle.
Posted Image

#26 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:14 PM

great video review of this new 20yr release:

#27 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,921 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:28 PM

Did not see that coming.

#28 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:46 PM

that bottle was released at a laughable $375 msrp and instantly began trading for $900+ on the secondary market. perceived scarcity is a powerful thing.

#29 hank213

hank213

inventor of the tactical turtleneck..the tactilneck

• Members
  • 9,517 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:46 PM

i just remembered this.

was shooting the shit with bartender and a feeb (at least that's what I thought he was, he would only say he worked for federal gov't and a few other hints. i suppose he could have been SS) and the barkeep was talking about how the hot thing a few years ago was getting vodka for bottle service, now bourbon and whiskey is the "in" drink. i think last year mgm put in a whiskey bar.

started watching the league and forgot where i was going with this...
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

#30 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:42 AM

I remember my brother telling me about his buddy getting grey goose bottle service years ago at some bar in Vegas, and how many random girls this attracted. wonder if it's the same today.

#31 Napa Lite

Napa Lite

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:52 AM

The last time I got "bottle service" was at a bar in Ames a few years ago. We drank them out of Makers (like two bottles) and convinced them to run to Kum and Go and get us another bottle but I don't think they ended up charging us for that one. #AheadOfTheCurve

#32 The Ocho

The Ocho

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:04 AM

Bottle service is the biggest scam ever! Pay10x retail and you have to make your own drinks!

View PostTheraflu, on 24 October 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Drinking alone makes being alone more awesome.

#33 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,921 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:39 AM

You are more paying for a place to sit/hangout at a busy night club. I've done bottle service a handful of times with buddies in Vegas and it's probably the only way to get me to go into a nightclub at this point in my life (I'm 31). In most clubs where they are charging $15-$20 for a drink, the bottle service doesn't end up being as much of a markup, relatively speaking. If I'm going to spend $100+ on a handful of drinks and pack myself into a busy night club, I'd rather spend $200 and split a few bottles between a group of friends and actually be able to hang out and enjoy myself.

#34 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

found two bottles of Weller 12 at a random liquor store in middle of nowhere Missouri, $19 ea.

went to a nice store in Lawrence and just asked for Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, the cashier checks inventory, grabs it from the back and sells it to me. I was baffled.

the place in Lawrence had a ridiculous amount of allocated stuff just sitting on the shelf at rock-bottom prices. made me a little sad that I don't live there anymore, and that I wasn't into bourbon when I did.

#35 CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue

The Outlier

• Members
  • 10,374 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold 'Em, Crazy Pineapple, 2-7 TD

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:10 PM

Seems relevant...

History behind some booze names
http://imgur.com/gallery/W9gdt

#36 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:44 AM

Pretty interesting. I have heard the JD tour in TN is kind of neat.

#37 Ron_Mexico

Ron_Mexico

You mess with the bull, you'll get the horns

• Members
  • 33,060 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:41 PM

RandyReed posted a bunch of cool, unblurry pics from the Maker's Mark factory. Pretty sweet
I make $31,000 dollars a year and I have a home.

#38 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,329 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:48 PM

There is a very good reason that they were all unblurry. He was in them and someone else was taking them.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

#39 Essay21

Essay21

forum legend

• Members
  • 9,394 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:38 PM

Randy Reed, we hardly knew ye 🍺

#40 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

password1

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:58 PM

Posted Image
http://www.gq.com/st...key-family-tree

They do a great job of explaining the situation. Not much has changed since then, except maybe Bulleit isn't outsourcing from Four Roses anymore.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users