Us Politics For Betting (Not Talking About Politics)

• Please log in to reply
3275 replies to this topic

#3241 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Hockey, Hockey pools

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:31 AM

I'm glad to see we are talking about mental health, at least in some respect. I feel like guns sometimes get a little too much of the 'blame' and not enough is being done to consider the mental health of these people, especially those in the military.
While the gun lobby and anyone who defends them are nothing but scum, you have to at least accept that its almost too late at this point to do much about the gun ownership issue in the US, and wonder the whys of it all a little bit more than the how.

#3242 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,913 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

I don't think it's too late for gun control in the USA, hypothetically. It would be a monumental task, but not impossible to at least severely improve things.

#3243 iBeaver

iBeaver

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:35 PM

Things can be done. I had this conversation with a co worker after Vegas who said the usual idiotic argument "if a bad guy wants a gun, he'll just get one illegally". I hate that argument and anyone who uses it literally dumb. Why have a speed limit, people some people are going to speed anyway. Why have laws at all? They usually can't answer that because again, they're dumb.

Let's say new gun control legislation gets passed making it harder to get a gun. Let's take 10 guys who want to go on a shooting spree. Each of them has a red flag. Some are on a terrorist watchlist. Some have a documented history of mental illness (violent), some have been arrested for domestic abuse. So they can't legally purchase a gun. For the sake of argument for the dumb people let's say 8 of them have the ability and wherewithal to get a weapon illegally. The simple fact is that not every crazy person has that connection. Ok so 8 people do their thing and 2 people stay home. You've just reduced the amount of mass shootings by 20%. I'm good with that.

It's impossible to completely stop them. I know the idiots think that's the end goal but well, they are idiots. No one also will ban guns all together. It will never happen. It's just their go to freak out.

I don't care if we reduce the mass shootings by 1%. That 1% could be my child or your child. That's a win when you can save one innocent life. If you can't agree with that then you're just garbage. I'll never understand law abiding citizens who worry about bad guys NOT getting a gun.

I'm tired of being nice snd respectful to people with idiotic opinions on this issue. *shrug*

And yes gun control is not the only solution. It's funny when R's try and blame it all on mental illness while at the same time they are gutting the funding for mental health.

#3244 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:56 PM

Just to be clear guys, I said "almost" too late for gun control. It sounds like you both caught that, but I still wanted to be more clear on my feelings.
I am definitely not saying gun control is useless, and in fact, side with Steve, in that at least some gun control will derail some of these cases. I just think at some point the other elephants in the room need to be addressed too, not just the one we all see and talk about.

#3245 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,266 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:35 PM

I think one area that the crazies are correct about is something you guys implied - the U.S. would be very late in the game as far as gun control. If I wanted a big dangerous semi-automatic in Canada, illegally, I wouldn’t even know where to go. If we made them illegal in the States, you’d still have millions kicking around in every shed in the southern states (just every other shed on the coasts). Obviously making it harder is better and there would be real results, but my goodness are they so far down the rabbit hole, it will take generations for them to even be within range of sanity.
Long signatures are really annoying.

#3246 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,266 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:38 PM

digitalmonkey, on 06 November 2017 - 07:40 AM, said:

I'm not sure how you're not sure about "creating killers."

http://www.sfgate.co...man-2514123.php

http://www.slate.com...experience.html

Well you certainly can create killers, but if you look at the actual army roles of the killers, I don’t think most of them were being actively trained to maximize that aspect. These aren’t exactly black ops guys who are going nuts (which doubly raises the questions of why you need so many 10s of thousands of people ‘combat-ready’ during a time where there are no actual goddamn wars)

#3247 gruven

gruven

The Poker Show on Sportsnet Radio Fan590

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:30 AM

mrdannyg, on 06 November 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

I think one area that the crazies are correct about is something you guys implied - the U.S. would be very late in the game as far as gun control. If I wanted a big dangerous semi-automatic in Canada, illegally, I wouldn’t even know where to go. If we made them illegal in the States, you’d still have millions kicking around in every shed in the southern states (just every other shed on the coasts). Obviously making it harder is better and there would be real results, but my goodness are they so far down the rabbit hole, it will take generations for them to even be within range of sanity.
when Australia decided to ban most weapons except hunting guns after a mass shooting, they instituted amnesty and reward programs that were so popular that they now do it on a regular basis. The latest one collected 50,000 weapons. http://www.cnn.com/2...esty/index.html
The Rick Tocchet Experience
Proud Member Since October 2008

Owner and GM AHL Steelheads
2015-16 AHL President's Trophy Winner
2015-16 AHL Champions

#3248 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

Unenjoyable Annoying Retard

• Members
  • 37,750 posts
  • Interests:sports, music, movies, photography
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hi/Lo Chicago

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:32 AM

It's "OK to be white" story.

https://m.facebook.c...982661921814580
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

#3249 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,913 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:41 AM

Poor white people. We have it so hard.

#3250 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:14 AM

Dubey, on 07 November 2017 - 09:41 AM, said:

Poor white people. We have it so hard.

Actually, I think a lot of white people have it VERY hard.
I don't count myself in that group that was born into a tough life, but I'm not so sure we should be painting everyone of one particular race/colour with one brush, do you?

#3251 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,913 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:18 AM

But do those white people have it hard because of the colour of their skin?

#3252 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:26 AM

Dubey, on 07 November 2017 - 10:18 AM, said:

But do those white people have it hard because of the colour of their skin?

In some places in the world, yes actually.
But I dont know what you mean by "those". I'm not trying to advocate or defend the morons putting up dumb signs about ok to be white. Of course its ok to be white, its way easier for most white people I would guess.

However, isn't the point of not being racist to not stereotype and put everyone into one simple category? Not all white people have easy lives.
I think many times children are born into poverty and it really doesn't matter the colour of their skin, they are going to have a hard life more than likely, with little chance for success, but a few.

#3253 iBeaver

iBeaver

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

MapleLeafpoker, on 07 November 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

In some places in the world, yes actually.
But I dont know what you mean by "those". I'm not trying to advocate or defend the morons putting up dumb signs about ok to be white. Of course its ok to be white, its way easier for most white people I would guess.

However, isn't the point of not being racist to not stereotype and put everyone into one simple category? Not all white people have easy lives.
I think many times children are born into poverty and it really doesn't matter the colour of their skin, they are going to have a hard life more than likely, with little chance for success, but a few.

I think you and Dubey are talking about 2 different thiings.

#3254 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,913 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:38 AM

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with anything Arp is saying.

I just don't have time for "All lives matter", and "It's ok to be white" campaigns.

as an aside, in the category of things that infuriate me. While trick or treating with my 3 year old on Halloween, saw my neighbour 3 doors down has a big ass confederate flag hanging in his garage. Another person a few blocks away has a large confederate flag hanging over his garage. Southern Alberta.

#3255 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

• Members
  • 37,750 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

Dubey, on 07 November 2017 - 10:38 AM, said:

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with anything Arp is saying.

I just don't have time for "All lives matter", and "It's ok to be white" campaigns.

as an aside, in the category of things that infuriate me. While trick or treating with my 3 year old on Halloween, saw my neighbour 3 doors down has a big ass confederate flag hanging in his garage. Another person a few blocks away has a large confederate flag hanging over his garage. Southern Alberta.

Dukes of Hazzard fans?
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

#3256 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,884 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:17 PM

digitalmonkey, on 07 November 2017 - 01:11 PM, said:

Dukes of Hazzard fans?

It was only like a year that I realized, holy crap, the car was actually called GENERAL LEE!

ps- this was a little deflating to me, cause that was one of my fav shows growing up, the Dukes were good folk!!!

#3257 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,913 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:20 PM

This may be off base, but I think there was a time when flying the confederate flag was just like a show of pride at southern/red neck/country/hillbilly lifestyle or whatever. Doesn't mean it wasn't offensive back then, but I think it was flown with less malice than today, if that makes sense?

There was also a time when pepe the frog was just a cartoon character and there was a time when the swastika was just the symbol for a political party.

The meanings behind symbols change, and I think if you fly a confederate flag in today's society, you are either proudly embracing the current ideology of the confederate flag(though these people will be quick to dispute this, they'll have their own "publicly acceptable" reasons for it), or you are naïve and/or tone deaf.

#3258 gruven

gruven

The Poker Show on Sportsnet Radio Fan590

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:21 PM

Dubey, on 07 November 2017 - 02:20 PM, said:

This may be off base, but I think there was a time when flying the confederate flag was just like a show of pride at southern/red neck/country/hillbilly lifestyle or whatever. Doesn't mean it wasn't offensive back then, but I think it was flown with less malice than today, if that makes sense?

There was also a time when pepe the frog was just a cartoon character and there was a time when the swastika was just the symbol for a political party.

The meanings behind symbols change, and I think if you fly a confederate flag in today's society, you are either proudly embracing the current ideology of the confederate flag(though these people will be quick to dispute this, they'll have their own "publicly acceptable" reasons for it), or you are naïve and/or tone deaf.
right on the money.
The Rick Tocchet Experience
Proud Member Since October 2008

Owner and GM AHL Steelheads
2015-16 AHL President's Trophy Winner
2015-16 AHL Champions

#3259 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

• Members
  • 37,750 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:35 PM

So the shooter was a white guy who was dishonorably discharged for assaulting his wife and child; and escaped from a mental institution, and had guns.

#3260 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,266 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

View Postgruven, on 07 November 2017 - 06:30 AM, said:

when Australia decided to ban most weapons except hunting guns after a mass shooting, they instituted amnesty and reward programs that were so popular that they now do it on a regular basis. The latest one collected 50,000 weapons. http://www.cnn.com/2...esty/index.html

As someone said on Twitter, even if the regulations stop one mass shooting per year, isn’t that enough?

Another unverified Twitter “fact” is I saw the US has 270,000,000 guns. Something like 10x the next 10 countries put together. Which is why when I see them talking about regulations on bump stocks, I can only wonder how many generations it will take or how extreme of a political shift it will take to make any real difference

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users