Us Politics For Betting (Not Talking About Politics)

• Please log in to reply
3275 replies to this topic

#3141 iBeaver

iBeaver

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

And look at that, us selling arms to SA was fake news.

#3142 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

Unenjoyable Annoying Retard

• Members
  • 37,797 posts
  • Interests:sports, music, movies, photography
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hi/Lo Chicago

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:03 PM

We're not talking about this because we all agree, right?

https://www.thestar....l-paradkar.html
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

#3143 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,982 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:55 PM

View Postdigitalmonkey, on 10 July 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

what does Canada owe to the teenage child of a terrorist family who while born in Canada has spent most of his life outside the country and is actively fighting against "our" side ?

I feel for him in that he wasn't given a choice based on who his Father was but the fact is that he was an enemy combatant fighting against us. Also a fact was that he was a child who should have been treated differently than an adult once captured.

I think they should have let the courts decide the amount of compensation if any he deserves.
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#3144 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,905 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Hockey, Hockey pools

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

I honestly dont know what to think on this one. Bob mentioned quite a few of the issues I have with this, on both sides of the argument.
There is also a lot I dont know about him+his case, so I wont make a big to do about it either way. It would just be uneducated opinions.

#3145 Untilted

Untilted

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,578 posts
  • Interests:GOLF, POKER, MUSIC

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:34 PM

View Postdigitalmonkey, on 10 July 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

OK. I will bite. Im certainly simplifying how I feel because it is not black or white
but I don't agree.
Happy Trails

John ( UntiLTed, Broadway or whatever)

#3146 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,487 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:34 PM

View PostFCP Bob, on 10 July 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

what does Canada owe to the teenage child of a terrorist family who while born in Canada has spent most of his life outside the country and is actively fighting against "our" side ?

I feel for him in that he wasn't given a choice based on who his Father was but the fact is that he was an enemy combatant fighting against us. Also a fact was that he was a child who should have been treated differently than an adult once captured.

I think they should have let the courts decide the amount of compensation if any he deserves.

He was a kid who follow his father's wishes. Unfortunately got tangled into an extremely ugly mess. However, I believe he relinqish his rights as a Canadian once you start fighting with ISIS.

#3147 gruven

gruven

The Poker Show on Sportsnet Radio Fan590

• Members
  • 10,569 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:04 AM

This just shows it's more complicated than we are think. In this age of extremely partisan politics, I think we are losing our ability to see gray. It's too often black and white, even when it's not.
The Rick Tocchet Experience
Proud Member Since October 2008

Owner and GM AHL Steelheads
2015-16 AHL President's Trophy Winner
2015-16 AHL Champions

#3148 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,940 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:12 AM

I don't know how complicit Canada was in his treatment at Guantanamo Bay, I don't really know how Guantanamo bay works/worked to be honest, but there is a precedent in the past for "home" countries paying settlements for mistreatments there (UK and Australia I believe?)

I don't think child soldiers should be held responsible for their actions or be treated as adults when captured. Sounds like some pretty horrible things were done to him, and no amount of money is going to fix that. Should Canada be paying? I don't know, or really care, but I think it's fair that he is getting paid. If the precedent is for Canada to pay him, that's fine. 10.5M is nothing. doesn't affect me, or anyone other citizen in this country.

#3149 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,267 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:37 AM

I haven't read the article but probably agree with it. I disagree with bob. I don't know how you can consider someone who was imprisoned in a torture facility for his entire adult life an "enemy combatant".
Long signatures are really annoying.

#3150 gruven

gruven

The Poker Show on Sportsnet Radio Fan590

• Members
  • 10,569 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:52 AM

https://twitter.com/...798748152483840
The Rick Tocchet Experience
Proud Member Since October 2008

Owner and GM AHL Steelheads
2015-16 AHL President's Trophy Winner
2015-16 AHL Champions

#3151 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,982 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:28 PM

View Postmrdannyg, on 11 July 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

I haven't read the article but probably agree with it. I disagree with bob. I don't know how you can consider someone who was imprisoned in a torture facility for his entire adult life an "enemy combatant".

what makes him an enemy combantant was that he was fighting with our enemy in combat against us. He was a child soldier in combat.
Bob

#3152 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,267 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:51 PM

View PostFCP Bob, on 11 July 2017 - 12:28 PM, said:

what makes him an enemy combantant was that he was fighting with our enemy in combat against us. He was a child soldier in combat.

If "enemy combatant" has a legal definition, I'm guessing a 9-year old doesn't qualify under it.

And it's not normal or legal to hold enemy combatants who have no useful information indefinitely without trial in foreign torture jails, especially when they are well below adulthood.

#3153 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,982 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:55 PM

View Postmrdannyg, on 11 July 2017 - 12:51 PM, said:

If "enemy combatant" has a legal definition, I'm guessing a 9-year old doesn't qualify under it.

And it's not normal or legal to hold enemy combatants who have no useful information indefinitely without trial in foreign torture jails, especially when they are well below adulthood.

huh ? He was 15 at the time he was captured.
Bob

#3154 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,267 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:05 PM

View PostFCP Bob, on 11 July 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

15 is still a child. What was he doing between the ages of 9 and 15?

#3155 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

• Members
  • 37,797 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

I'd like to know what Patty Hearst thinks.
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

#3156 iBeaver

iBeaver

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:13 PM

"Anybody out there have an 8-year-old child? One of mine is 9. You know and I know that itís an age when kids adore their fathers and try to please them. Why would we think that such a child, exposed by his father to violent ideologies, was old enough to have known better by age 15? With that grooming, that child would have no chance."

I agree with this graph

#3157 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,487 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:26 PM

View PostFCP Bob, on 11 July 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

He should be tried as an adult

#3158 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,940 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:43 PM

do you think he even had an opportunity to say no at any point? I'm not sure if you are being serious or not Wayne but I couldn't disagree more.

#3159 Babying

Babying

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 10,487 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:20 PM

View PostDubey, on 11 July 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

do you think he even had an opportunity to say no at any point? I'm not sure if you are being serious or not Wayne but I couldn't disagree more.

That is fine but imo he is held accountable for his actions. Sad that it is in his awful world and to have a dad like that

#3160 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

• Members
  • 37,797 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:44 PM

http://ipolitics.ca/...life-into-dust/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users