6769 replies to this topic

#41 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,264 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

View Postdigitalmonkey, on 07 May 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

Sounds about right. He is a better writer than me.
Long signatures are really annoying.

#42 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,921 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

I posted in the Leafs thread before I read this conversation.

The guy with the Toronto Stronger sign is just a total idiot and I know that I would have said something to him if I was there and saw him with that sign.
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#43 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,264 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostFCP Bob, on 07 May 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

I posted in the Leafs thread before I read this conversation.

The guy with the Toronto Stronger sign is just a total idiot and I know that I would have said something to him if I was there and saw him with that sign.

Glad you would've said something. I'd like to think I would have too, but I weigh 150 pounds, so my appetite for public confrontation is pretty low.

I haven't seen anyone defend him, and it's not for "PC" reasons. Even the non-PC'ers think he's an idiot. So that's what it is, one idiot. I'm surprised security let him get in with that sign, never mind let him keep it.

#44 ajs510

ajs510

Resident Evil

• Members
  • 24,991 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

I would defend him a little bit...in that my right to call the man an idiot is just as absolute as his right to be an idiot. Would I do something like that? No. Would I say something if a friend of mine was doing something like that? Possibly. But I don't think the guy should have been kicked out or anything like that...just for being a rather insensitive moron.

#45 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,264 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

View Postajs510, on 07 May 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

I would defend him a little bit...in that my right to call the man an idiot is just as absolute as his right to be an idiot. Would I do something like that? No. Would I say something if a friend of mine was doing something like that? Possibly. But I don't think the guy should have been kicked out or anything like that...just for being a rather insensitive moron.

Definitely not kicked out. But I do think the Leafs have a right to take that sign away, as by entering Maple Leaf Gardens and wearing a Leafs jersey on a broadcast with that sign, he becomes representative of your team and fans.

And while normally I would defend someone's right to be an idiot as much as call them an idiot, that doesn't hold true for hateful or offensive public displays. As we've discussed, I don't think this really even comes close to "hateful," mainly because it is so stupid.

#46 ajs510

ajs510

Resident Evil

• Members
  • 24,991 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

No, at very most it's in poor taste.

#47 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,921 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

Pretty sure that the guy was only outside at the rally and not in the ACC.

If I was next to him I would have asked him if he knew how wrong his sign was and suggested that he might want to put it away. I'm only a little guy and I wouldn't have run over and got in his face and called him an idiot but there is no way I would have stayed silent if I was close to him.
Bob

#48 Zach6668

Zach6668

FCHL Champion.

• Moderators
  • 48,101 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

View PostMapleLeafpoker, on 07 May 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

I agree.

Although its hard for me to define, I think was offended by it too, though I have no connections to Boston or the people killed/injured. Im offended for them. Like, shouldnt people know better? It wasnt some 18yr old kid, the guy looked like he was 40. What the fck is the matter with you?

There's probably millions of these people... they're the types who take Cherry as gospel every week.
QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#49 pezeveng

pezeveng

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

certain things should be left alone, I remember going to yuk yuks years ago and one of the comedians entire performance was on people with DS. I didn't crack a smile once and found the entire performance to be absolutely offensive.

3 years ago my good friends wife had a wonderful baby boy with DS. If I ever sit through a performance like that again I would yell you suck get up and leave and make sure everyone sees me leaving.

#50 MapleLeafpoker

MapleLeafpoker

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 17,869 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Hockey, Hockey pools

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

View Postdigitalmonkey, on 07 May 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

I swear, I posted my "Canadians are still pretty racist Danny" post before I read this. :)

I played ball hockey with Gurdeep. Nice guy.

#51 serge

serge

Leafs nation Grand Poobah

• Members
  • 48,766 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

View Postpezeveng, on 07 May 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

certain things should be left alone, I remember going to yuk yuks years ago and one of the comedians entire performance was on people with DS. I didn't crack a smile once and found the entire performance to be absolutely offensive.

3 years ago my good friends wife had a wonderful baby boy with DS. If I ever sit through a performance like that again I would yell you suck get up and leave and make sure everyone sees me leaving.

However if the comedian had DS, then it would be ok? Because a lot of comics routines are based on this..
Owner of the Mustangs, 2014-2015 AHL Eastern Division Champs

Lets make America Great Again. Trump 2016

#52 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,264 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

View Postajs510, on 07 May 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

No, at very most it's in poor taste.

Pretend that we didn't see Bob's post right after this. You're the most 'free speech' guy I know - would you be ok with the Maple Leafs security taking away the sign (or telling him he had to leave if he wouldn't give it up)? Just curious.

View PostFCP Bob, on 07 May 2013 - 08:47 AM, said:

Pretty sure that the guy was only outside at the rally and not in the ACC.

If I was next to him I would have asked him if he knew how wrong his sign was and suggested that he might want to put it away. I'm only a little guy and I wouldn't have run over and got in his face and called him an idiot but there is no way I would have stayed silent if I was close to him.

That's quite different of course, thanks for pointing that out. Glad to hear you would've stood up for it.

#53 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,921 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Really great post that isn't just about the idiot from the Boston perspective.

On "Toronto Stronger"

I don't hate Leafs fans; I don't hate Toronto. I don't even hate the misguided idiot who brought that sign to the game, because how could he understand the feelings he incurred with his actions? What I hate is that sports-hate was warped into hatred for this city, warped and injected into a space that was supposed to be our safe escape from the reality of all this. I hate that our expression of love and gratitude for our first responders, our doctors and people who got us through the tragedy of the marathon bombing, was changed into a heartless sports slogan, a way for a few idiots to put us -- not our team, not our coaches, not our players, but us -- in the dirt.

Sports hate is supposed to be fun. It's not supposed to be personally offensive, it's not supposed to injure anything but fan pride. People shouldn't be getting punched in the head, or wishing cancer on anyone, or playing on the emotional state of an entire city. Sports hate is supposed to be fun. It's not supposed to make anyone who loves the game want to just pick up and walk away.

It'd be really great if we could all remember that.

Bob

#54 serge

serge

• Members
  • 48,766 posts

View Postmrdannyg, on 07 May 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

Pretend that we didn't see Bob's post right after this. You're the most 'free speech' guy I know - would you be ok with the Maple Leafs security taking away the sign (or telling him he had to leave if he wouldn't give it up)? Just curious.

That's quite different of course, thanks for pointing that out. Glad to hear you would've stood up for it.

I am biased as we know...However taking that sign away would be VERY wrong...

Its a sign in VERY poor taste..But its not illegal, racist, sexist , homophobic..

Where do you draw the line?

#55 ajs510

ajs510

Resident Evil

• Members
  • 24,991 posts

View Postmrdannyg, on 07 May 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

I would be fine with them confiscating the sign and ultimately asking him to leave the building if he refused...at the end of the day it's their private property and he's a guest there, you have to play by the house rules and the Leafs do have a brand and a broadcast to protect. If he hung that sign on his front porch and someone demanded that he take it down out of respect, I would side with the guy...his house, his rules.

#56 serge

serge

• Members
  • 48,766 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostFCP Bob, on 07 May 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

Really great post that isn't just about the idiot from the Boston perspective.

On "Toronto Stronger"

Love it...I have a term for my "hate"...I "sports hate" the Montreal Canadiens.

#57 serge

serge

• Members
  • 48,766 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

About 15 years ago, I went to the Montreal Forum..Leafs vs Canadiens...My face was painted...Had a Leaf flag in hand..HUGE flag...

They said I cant bring the flag inside..I said why..THey mumbled something..

They took the flag and I had to get it on my way out.

#58 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,921 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

View Postserge, on 07 May 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

Love it...I have a term for my "hate"...I "sports hate" the Montreal Canadiens.

but that sports hate has at times moved into things that appear to be real hate whether you intend them to be that way or not and it's important to recognize when that might happen and to tone it down.
Bob

#59 ajs510

ajs510

Resident Evil

• Members
  • 24,991 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

View Postserge, on 07 May 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

About 15 years ago, I went to the Montreal Forum..Leafs vs Canadiens...My face was painted...Had a Leaf flag in hand..HUGE flag...

They said I cant bring the flag inside..I said why..THey mumbled something..

They took the flag and I had to get it on my way out.

God Hates Flags.

#60 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,264 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

View Postserge, on 07 May 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

I am biased as we know...However taking that sign away would be VERY wrong...

Its a sign in VERY poor taste..But its not illegal, racist, sexist , homophobic..

Where do you draw the line?

Good question. Basically agree with Adam's take on it. It's their private property, and they have a broadcast and a brand to protect, so the standard of what they can confiscate is lower.

If we're talking about making him take it out of his home, arresting him for it, or kicking him out without giving him the opportunity to only put away the sign, I would disagree with any of that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users