258 replies to this topic

#241 colonel Feathers

colonel Feathers

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

View Postmrdannyg, on 08 May 2013 - 04:29 AM, said:

I continue to be intrigued? Do you explore different religions? Have you found one (or a combination) that you think is correct?

Is this a Pascal's wager decision, or do you have other reasons for believing in an afterlife?

If you do believe there is an afterlife, how do you envision it - do people go to some type of heaven/hell, do some people just not get one? What proportion (approximate!) of people either get an afterlife (if not everyone does), or get a happy one (if everyone gets something) - in your mind, is it "very difficult" (i.e. only the very pious), or is a general life of being "good" (whatever that means) sufficient?

I have no judgment on this, just curious to learn more about a belief system that varies so differently from mine. Personally, I don't think there is anything after you're in the ground, nothing good or bad, no immortal soul in our bodies, etc. But that's my opinion only, and I don't begrudge others who feel differently. It's unknowable and some of the smartest people I know have different opinions on it than me.
If I was positive about any particular faith or religion, I would shout it from the rooftops. Unfortunately, I have no idea wat is true and wat isnt. I just believe in God, and as a christian believe Christ was divine. However I have b=no idea if God is male, female, a combination of both or neither.Idont believe in hell per se, that is a place of insane torture for eternity. But, I believe there is some form of punishment for the truly evil.And Ill leave it to God, to define truly evil.

I have to believe in some sort of afterlife. Whether it is going to a place, or reincarnation

Watever happens I do believe God is fair. Say for example that christianity is true, isn it really fair for someone raised in a contrary faith to be judged the same as one who is raised in a christian family? Maybe as one philosopher once said, "There are many mountain tops and they are all reaching for the stars".
I dont suffer from delusions

I enjoy them

#242 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:41 AM

View Postcolonel Feathers, on 09 May 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

If I was positive about any particular faith or religion, I would shout it from the rooftops. Unfortunately, I have no idea wat is true and wat isnt. I just believe in God, and as a christian believe Christ was divine. However I have b=no idea if God is male, female, a combination of both or neither.Idont believe in hell per se, that is a place of insane torture for eternity. But, I believe there is some form of punishment for the truly evil.And Ill leave it to God, to define truly evil.

I have to believe in some sort of afterlife. Whether it is going to a place, or reincarnation

Watever happens I do believe God is fair. Say for example that christianity is true, isn it really fair for someone raised in a contrary faith to be judged the same as one who is raised in a christian family? Maybe as one philosopher once said, "There are many mountain tops and they are all reaching for the stars".

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Why do you "have" to believe in some sort of afterlife?
Long signatures are really annoying.

#243 colonel Feathers

colonel Feathers

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

View Postmrdannyg, on 10 May 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Why do you "have" to believe in some sort of afterlife?
I really think that if there was no afterlife, no ultimate consequense to actions, then this would be a brutal world world to live in.

I enjoy them

#244 GWCGWC

GWCGWC

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

Da freck world do you live in that's it's not brutal?

#245 NickCave

NickCave

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 966 posts
  • Interests:Marcel Marceau
  • Favorite Poker Game:No Pussy Blues

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:11 AM

View Postcolonel Feathers, on 11 May 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

I really think that if there was no afterlife, no ultimate consequense to actions, then this would be a brutal world world to live in.

Are you saying that human beings, if left unchecked by religious consequence, if left to their own devices, would behave like animals, would kill/rape/steal/lust, so as to be indistinguishable from beasts?

#246 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,375 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

Like Rwanda?
Mao's China?
Stalin's Russia?
Pol Pot's Cambodia?
Hitler's camps?
The Massacre of the Latins in the 12th century?
The Cyprus Massacre in the 16th century?
The Tripolotsa Massacre?
The Massacre of Praga?
Chios?
Elphinistone's Army?
Armenian Massacre in the 19th century?

Yea, I would say without a healthy fear of consequences for their actions, the world would be a much much worse place.
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#247 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:06 AM

View Postcolonel Feathers, on 11 May 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Interesting. Thanks for answering the questions.

#248 colonel Feathers

colonel Feathers

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

View PostNickCave, on 12 May 2013 - 12:11 AM, said:

Are you saying that human beings, if left unchecked by religious consequence, if left to their own devices, would behave like animals, would kill/rape/steal/lust, so as to be indistinguishable from beasts?
YES

I enjoy them

#249 colonel Feathers

colonel Feathers

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostBalloon guy, on 12 May 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

Like Rwanda?
Mao's China?
Stalin's Russia?
Pol Pot's Cambodia?
Hitler's camps?
The Massacre of the Latins in the 12th century?
The Cyprus Massacre in the 16th century?
The Tripolotsa Massacre?
The Massacre of Praga?
Chios?
Elphinistone's Army?
Armenian Massacre in the 19th century?

Yea, I would say without a healthy fear of consequences for their actions, the world would be a much much worse place.
You left off wounded knee, and chappaquiddic.But otherwise well put, if not kinda anecdotal.

I enjoy them

#250 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,840 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

NBC News ‏@NBCNews 12m
JUST IN: Boston bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev and man killed by FBI in Orlando responsible for 2011 triple homicide, sources say

NBC News ‏@NBCNews 10m
MORE: Tsarnaev and Ibragim Todashev murdered three people in drug rip-off in Waltham, Mass. to avoid being identified, sources say
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#251 akoff

akoff

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • Interests:Golf, investing, Eagles football, golf, baseball, coaching Little League and golf
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

it is shame he didn't live long enough to get waterboarded.
"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
~ Senator Barack H. Obama

#252 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostFCP Bob, on 22 May 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

NBC News ‏@NBCNews 12m
JUST IN: Boston bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev and man killed by FBI in Orlando responsible for 2011 triple homicide, sources say

NBC News ‏@NBCNews 10m
MORE: Tsarnaev and Ibragim Todashev murdered three people in drug rip-off in Waltham, Mass. to avoid being identified, sources say

Feel like I'm reading a bad book when I see stuff like that. How does a large news organization write "blah blah murdered 3 people....sources say." Hey guys, no need for expensive trials anymore. NBC's anonymous sources say they murdered a bunch of people, so you know, no reason not to write that information as if it was factual.

#253 timwakefield

timwakefield

I haven't got the time time

• Members
  • 14,413 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

View Postmrdannyg, on 23 May 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

Feel like I'm reading a bad book when I see stuff like that. How does a large news organization write "blah blah murdered 3 people....sources say." Hey guys, no need for expensive trials anymore. NBC's anonymous sources say they murdered a bunch of people, so you know, no reason not to write that information as if it was factual.

Huh? "Sources say" is pretty similar to "allegedly." I don't understand the problem. They're not reporting that it definitely happened, they're reporting that a source says it happened, and since it's a goddam tweet, it seems likely that if you read or watch their full report they would identify their sources and go into greater detail.

Seriously, you're upset that their tweet (max: 160 characters) did not contain enough information.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#254 akoff

akoff

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • Interests:Golf, investing, Eagles football, golf, baseball, coaching Little League and golf
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:24 AM

View Posttimwakefield, on 23 May 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

Huh? "Sources say" is pretty similar to "allegedly." I don't understand the problem. They're not reporting that it definitely happened, they're reporting that a source says it happened, and since it's a goddam tweet, it seems likely that if you read or watch their full report they would identify their sources and go into greater detail.

Seriously, you're upset that their tweet (max: 160 characters) did not contain enough information.

Don't worry when BHO gets done with the media they won't do anything like this again.
"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
~ Senator Barack H. Obama

#255 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:42 AM

View Posttimwakefield, on 23 May 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

There is not a single thing accurate about that post. Suggesting "sources say" is even in the same category as "allegedly" demonstrates a zero understanding of what journalism actually is, or what a news organization 'should' do.

#256 timwakefield

timwakefield

I haven't got the time time

• Members
  • 14,413 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:09 AM

View Postmrdannyg, on 24 May 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

There is not a single thing accurate about that post. Suggesting "sources say" is even in the same category as "allegedly" demonstrates a zero understanding of what journalism actually is, or what a news organization 'should' do.

"There is not a single thing accurate about that post."

Hyperbole much? So I was inaccurate in saying that they were tweets? I was inaccurate in saying that tweets have a maximum of 160 characters? I was inaccurate in saying that their full reports go into greater detail? Etc.

Now then. "Sources say" is similar to "allegedly" in many ways, and in fact they can often be essentially interchangeable, or synonymous. I feel like you simply didn't think this through, like, at all.

Let's say a journalist writes: "John Doe allegedly killed Jane Doe on May 15, 2013." Here the journalist is stating that his/her sources have alleged that John Doe killed Jane Doe on that date.

Let's say a journalist writes: "John Doe killed Jane Doe on May 15, 2013, our sources say." Here the journalist is stating that his/her sources have alleged that John Doe killed Jane Doe on that date.

Let's say a journalist writes: "John Doe killed Jane Doe on May 15, 2013, according to police." Here the journalist has identified his/her source, which makes this version more informative than either of the previous two.

Do we see any similarities between the first two examples? Are you sure I'm the one with "zero understanding of what journalism actually is?"

Next time instead of just saying 'OMG you're so wrong and you don't understand journalism,' perhaps try to explain to me how and why I'm wrong. This has at least two potential benefits. First, if I am in fact wrong you can help me and other readers to better understand the world. Second, it gives you the opportunity to examine why, how, and what you think I'm wrong about, and in a case like this one today, may allow you to rethink your post and prevent you from embarrassing yourself as you have just done.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#257 AmScray

AmScray

Honk

• Members
  • 4,005 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:wrhsf235yu

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:00 AM

I have a question.

If the worst poster and second worst poster are battling it out and the second worst poster ultimately wins, does he 'improve' to third worst poster, does he ascend to the role of worst poster having defeated the existing champ, or does he remain as the second worst poster?
Posted Image

#258 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:41 AM

View Posttimwakefield, on 24 May 2013 - 04:09 AM, said:

"There is not a single thing accurate about that post."

Hyperbole much? So I was inaccurate in saying that they were tweets? I was inaccurate in saying that tweets have a maximum of 160 characters? I was inaccurate in saying that their full reports go into greater detail? Etc.

Now then. "Sources say" is similar to "allegedly" in many ways, and in fact they can often be essentially interchangeable, or synonymous. I feel like you simply didn't think this through, like, at all.

Let's say a journalist writes: "John Doe allegedly killed Jane Doe on May 15, 2013." Here the journalist is stating that his/her sources have alleged that John Doe killed Jane Doe on that date.

Let's say a journalist writes: "John Doe killed Jane Doe on May 15, 2013, our sources say." Here the journalist is stating that his/her sources have alleged that John Doe killed Jane Doe on that date.

Let's say a journalist writes: "John Doe killed Jane Doe on May 15, 2013, according to police." Here the journalist has identified his/her source, which makes this version more informative than either of the previous two.

Do we see any similarities between the first two examples? Are you sure I'm the one with "zero understanding of what journalism actually is?"

Next time instead of just saying 'OMG you're so wrong and you don't understand journalism,' perhaps try to explain to me how and why I'm wrong. This has at least two potential benefits. First, if I am in fact wrong you can help me and other readers to better understand the world. Second, it gives you the opportunity to examine why, how, and what you think I'm wrong about, and in a case like this one today, may allow you to rethink your post and prevent you from embarrassing yourself as you have just done.

There is a 140-character maximum on twitter.

View PostAmScray, on 24 May 2013 - 05:00 AM, said:

I have a question.

If the worst poster and second worst poster are battling it out and the second worst poster ultimately wins, does he 'improve' to third worst poster, does he ascend to the role of worst poster having defeated the existing champ, or does he remain as the second worst poster?

Hi. Eat shit.

#259 NickCave

NickCave

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 966 posts
  • Interests:Marcel Marceau
  • Favorite Poker Game:No Pussy Blues

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

View PostAmScray, on 24 May 2013 - 05:00 AM, said:

I have a question.

It's like an allegory for Democratic primaries from the early part of the millennium.

And while any victory in the battle royale above would be a Pyrrhic victory, the loser suffers even more. I'm pretty sure, the way it works is, that each poster remains in his position relative to the other, but they both move even farther from the third worst position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users