Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,375 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

Jumped to Taiwan...hmmmmmmmm
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#62 GWCGWC

GWCGWC

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

View PostFCP Bob, on 24 April 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Yeah, I don't need to be reading this stuff and I really don't need to be reading the BG link that says IT'S SPREADING!

A pandemic is one of the worst case scenarios that people who like to horde stuff "just in case" have on "their" list.

#63 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,841 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

Milk Smugglers Top Heroin Courier Arrests in Hong Kong

For border officials in Hong Kong, baby formula trumps heroin.

Since the former British colony on March 1 restricted travelers to two 2-pound cans each, a syndicate has been cracked and more people have been arrested for smuggling milk powder than were detained all of last year for carrying heroin.

Mainland China’s demand for formula made overseas has been fueled by distrust of locally made food because of product- safety scandals that included the deaths of at least six babies in 2008 after melamine was added to milk. The U.K. and New Zealand are among countries that restricted milk sales as bulk purchases of brands such as Danone’s Aptamil and Mead Johnson Nutrition Co. (MJN)’s Enfamil caused shortages.

“Most of them only have one child, and the child is the most important thing in their life,” James Roy, a Shanghai- based analyst China Market Research Group, said of Chinese parents, most of whom are subject to the government’s one-child policy. “They want to be extra careful.”

Article Continued At Link

Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#64 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,841 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:01 AM

If you think politicians are corrupt in Western countries it's nothing compared to China

China's Leadership Is Really, Really Rich

One need not wonder why official corruption is such a concern there.

Posted Image
Bob

#65 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:30 AM

It isn't so much that China is corrupt as much that it's simply systematic that wealth and power are tied, and that the power is in the hands of a distinct ruling class. The U.S. is fighting corruption, thinking it is holding them back. Really, it is the prevention of corruption that is holding them back. Things like the LIBOR scandal wouldn't be a problem in China because the same thing that required secret (inefficient) behind the back dealings would simply be systematic in China. This would severely increase efficiencies among the largest corporations in the U.S. So income inequality would explode, but overall wealth would increase.

I'm not suggesting that 'should' happen - I wouldn't argue that China's system is more ethical or 'better' than the United States'. But anyone arguing for smaller government in the United States should mentally prepare themselves for a day when China is unquestionably a political, economic and military power with greater strength than them, and hope that the Chinese will continue with their history of not seeking to significantly expand their empire.
Long signatures are really annoying.

#66 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,841 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:59 AM

View Postmrdannyg, on 26 April 2013 - 05:30 AM, said:

It isn't so much that China is corrupt as much that it's simply systematic that wealth and power are tied, and that the power is in the hands of a distinct ruling class. The U.S. is fighting corruption, thinking it is holding them back. Really, it is the prevention of corruption that is holding them back. Things like the LIBOR scandal wouldn't be a problem in China because the same thing that required secret (inefficient) behind the back dealings would simply be systematic in China. This would severely increase efficiencies among the largest corporations in the U.S. So income inequality would explode, but overall wealth would increase.

I'm not suggesting that 'should' happen - I wouldn't argue that China's system is more ethical or 'better' than the United States'. But anyone arguing for smaller government in the United States should mentally prepare themselves for a day when China is unquestionably a political, economic and military power with greater strength than them, and hope that the Chinese will continue with their history of not seeking to significantly expand their empire.

LOL

No China is massively corrupt.
Bob

#67 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

View PostFCP Bob, on 26 April 2013 - 05:59 AM, said:

LOL

No China is massively corrupt.

To be clear, I'm saying that it is so corrupt that the corruption is expected and part of normal business there. The extreme and deep levels of corruption, understood by all parties, actually contributes to more efficient operations than if people had to be trying to hide it all the time like in the U.S. No question that China is corrupt to an extreme degree compared to any mature North American or European economy.

#68 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,841 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

View Postmrdannyg, on 26 April 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

To be clear, I'm saying that it is so corrupt that the corruption is expected and part of normal business there. The extreme and deep levels of corruption, understood by all parties, actually contributes to more efficient operations than if people had to be trying to hide it all the time like in the U.S. No question that China is corrupt to an extreme degree compared to any mature North American or European economy.

The corruption totally makes the economy run far worse than it otherwise would. It's the opposite of efficient.
Bob

#69 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostFCP Bob, on 26 April 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

The corruption totally makes the economy run far worse than it otherwise would. It's the opposite of efficient.

You think it has more net good than net bad? I mean, the most efficient would be if you eliminated it altogether, but if we accept that as impossible, do you not think a system where the biggest players in the economy get to openly contribute (effectively, creating a new type of market) is better than one where honesty/inaction is punished since the corrupt usually do get their way?

As an analogy, do you think the LIBOR situation would have been better or worse if it was openly known that members of the major banks simply made requests as to what the rate would be, rather than it being supposedly calculated on market decisions, with some corruption thrown in.

I don't deny that everything I'm suggesting is worse from an ethical standpoint, and worse in terms of human effect, since China is not exactly the model of income equality and fairness, I'm only arguing in terms of pure economic efficiencies. I guess the arguments against it would be the same reasons against Communism - if you did 'allow' for corruption, then some would simply seek to corrupt the corruption; there are some people that are never satisfied unless they are #1, and there is no #2.

#70 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,841 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Sorry Danny but you don't really understand what's going on in China.

The corruption is known but not out in the open and is in every aspect of society.
Bob

#71 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,841 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

Being a Chinese Official: Not All It's Cracked Up to Be

Being a Communist Party cadre has its advantages. But there are risks, too.
Bob

#72 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostFCP Bob, on 26 April 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

Sorry Danny but you don't really understand what's going on in China.

The corruption is known but not out in the open and is in every aspect of society.

So what you're saying is the corruption is widespread and known to everyone. Which is exactly what I'm saying. Of course it's not out in the open - if it was, it wouldn't be corruption, it would just be the rules.

Do you think if the government cracked down on corruption (and, ummm, were less corrupt themselves?) - resulting in it still taking place, but in a less predictable fashion, to a lesser degree and with the occasional arrest - would that make the economy run more or less smoothly?

#73 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,841 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:45 AM

A lot of manufacturers are moving production out of China because labour costs are getting too high there.

http://online.wsj.co..._medium=twitter
Bob

#74 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,841 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:02 AM

Bear Vs. Monkey Bicycle Race Ends With Bear Eating Monkey
Bob

#75 CraigKrill

CraigKrill

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Limit Hold Em

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:11 AM

View PostFCP Bob, on 10 May 2013 - 12:02 AM, said:

All things being equal this should happen way more often. Animals aren't animals nearly enough for my taste.

#76 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,841 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

Very interesting time lapse video of various parts of Hong Kong.

Bob

#77 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 26,841 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

Bob

#78 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,375 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

Coming to hang out about a mile from my house in a couple weeks: Obama and Xi

The government was set to protect man from criminals - and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. - Ayn Rand

#79 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,375 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

Not sure I believe this

China has emerged as the most financially secure country in an index jointly launched by PICC Property and Casualty Co Ltd, the largest non-life insurance company in the Chinese mainland, and Genworth Financial Inc, a Fortune 500 insurance holding company.
The report surveyed 13,000 households in 14 European countries, and five Latin American countries and China. China scored 78 out of 100, the highest score of any country and the highest since the index was launched in 2007.
Only 3 percent of Chinese households are financially vulnerable, whereas the same figure for Germany is 22 percent and 26 percent for France, according to the report.

3% are financially vulnerable?

In what sense?

Bob, do you think this must be a cherry picked section of society Seems to me that having $200 a month pay for factory workers places them in more financial insecurity than the average frenchman who can't be fired by law.

And two stories down is this story.

Most first-tier cities in China are barely suitable for living due to their poor ecological environment, despite rapid economic development and preferential regulations for investment, said a newly released report by a top Chinese think tank on Sunday.

First-tier cities, including Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, failed to make the list of habitable cities even though they are in the top 10 in terms of commercial advantages, unification of city and countryside, and culture development, according to a report on China's urban competitiveness from the National Academy of Economic Strategy under the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

Only two first-tier cities, Hong Kong and Macao, are among the country's most livable cities, said the report.

#80 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,375 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

Bob, could you and your wife look at this and tell me what you think of it's value to learn Mandarin?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users