Top-Top Reflections (Sh) (5/10)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Var1ance

Var1ance

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Making the leap from poker padawan to Jedi.
  • Favorite Poker Game:No limit hold em

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostCobaltBlue, on 17 June 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

Opening for 3x is pretty standard online.

Folding to the flop c/r isn't entirely unreasonable. I just wasn't giving villain too much credit here and thought he'd have to give me credit a decent bit. I do think you need to continue often with a hand like this - otherwise you risk being exploited - but folding some is okay too. If I'd not had the heart, I'd drop the hand most of the time.
I just don't like where the hand is headed, you did have the heart but folding this hand let's you have options for the future to come back over the top in a more comfortable spot. Or possibly even a back over the top re-raise bluff if you feel you can pull it off/ he's trying toexploit.

#22 CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue

The Outlier

• Members
  • 10,379 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold 'Em, Crazy Pineapple, 2-7 TD

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:35 AM

View PostVar1ance, on 17 June 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

I just don't like where the hand is headed, you did have the heart but folding this hand let's you have options for the future to come back over the top in a more comfortable spot. Or possibly even a back over the top re-raise bluff if you feel you can pull it off/ he's trying toexploit.
There's not a particularly compelling reason to 3-bet bluff the flop with my hand. I felt I had the best hand a lot...but I don't see great reason to turn it into a bluff. Yeah, I could 3-bet to "protect", but it's better to just call and see what happens on the turn.

#23 Var1ance

Var1ance

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

You mis-understood, I meant fold this one and three bet in a better spot.

#24 CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue

The Outlier

• Members
  • 10,379 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hold 'Em, Crazy Pineapple, 2-7 TD

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

Care to elaborate on "better spot"?

#25 bmiddle

bmiddle

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Poker
  • Favorite Poker Game:Pot-Limit Hold 'Em

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

I think Variance means down the road in a different pot.

As for the hand, I'm 50-50 on it. I completely understand where you were going but if you were going to get in that deep with the hand, I would definitely just call on the river. Realistically speaking, he's showing an incredible amount of strength in this hand, especially leading out on the turn. Depending on how good he is at putting people on hands, the perfect card to hit was the ace - and that's when he started to bet the hand good. He bet his draw which is something that I like to do, hit it on the turn, and led out into you hoping that you hit the ace which you did. When you call the turn, he knows that you either have an Ace, possibly a 7, and maybe a jack. The 9 of spades is a perfect card for you. If you have 9-9 and just hit, Im paying you off with a flush even if it's a baby flush at that. I just don't like the jam on the river because there's an incredible range being in the BB already that he could be playing. I know that most of the time for a 3x open, especially 6 handed I am defending with a very wide range. So he very easily could have 7x, he could have J-7 (though I don't think he'd play it that strong), 9-7, A-J, A-9 - just way too many hands that beat you, and not a lot of hands you can comfortably put him on that you beat. I don't think he'd lead out on the river with any Jx especially because you've said you have a pretty good image at the table.

It's definitely an interesting hand, thanks for the share - it's a tough spot that's for sure, but I just don't like jamming the river because it's just a really blank river card.
FTP: Bmid87
Pokerstars: Bmiddle

#26 Var1ance

Var1ance

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

Another hand is what I meant, let him think he can exploit you so you can re pop in another pot where you bet the flop and he re raises you. If you folded previously then come over the top he's probably laying down anything but a monster. You can focus on individual hands and thats good but the session as a whole is more important. It's poker, you will lose money, you just have to win more than you lose. Picking your spots is crucial in a long term winning player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users