15 replies to this topic

#1 iam5hashank

iam5hashank

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Texas Holdem NL

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:15 AM

Hi Friends,Planning to play Sunday Million, Sunday Warm Up and Spade tourneys today. I will be playing such a major tournament for 3rd time. I played sunday million prior to this and cashed twice out of three times. I am here for advise and preferred strategy to playing such major and large field tournaments. Please feel free to give any advise (Every bit of it will be important). I am really looking forward to your comments.--BestShashank

#2 donk4life

donk4life

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:35 AM

Get aces a lot and don't lose races.

View Postakashenk, on 02 August 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

I don't mind folding out hands we beat.

#3 iam5hashank

iam5hashank

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Texas Holdem NL

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:00 AM

View Postdonk4life, on 12 August 2012 - 04:35 AM, said:

Get aces a lot and don't lose races.
something that was in my hand?

#4 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLHE

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:01 AM

Fold AQ to a raise and re-raise most of the time.
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

#5 colonel Feathers

colonel Feathers

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

View PostMercury69, on 13 August 2012 - 06:01 AM, said:

Fold AQ to a raise and re-raise most of the time.
Win more races then you lose.
I dont suffer from delusions

I enjoy them

#6 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:52 AM

View Postcolonel Feathers, on 14 August 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

Win more races then you lose.
Dominated or behind more often than you thinkI have no problem with people overvaluing AQ and i will admit my opinion is nitty, but I'd rather not be the guy calling (or re-raising) with AQ when ther's already been a raise and a re-raise. It's situational and should def be read-based, but to say it's a play that makes sense in a tourney, esp a big tourney, is optimistic. In fact, if i have AQ and I am the first raiser or I decide to call a raise (I have no problem playing post-flop), I am almost certainly folding to a shove, esp if it's for my tourney life.Run some sensible stats and let's see the results. For example, use at least one small pair and use a variety of suited and/or Broadway holdings for a third hand (ie: QJ, JT, even KQ, assuming he/she is Russian and short stacked). Then sub out the Broadway hands and use AK and then use any other Ax for a 3rd sample.If I can learn something here, that's cool, but I think that any hand in which AQ is a favorite the % is going to be so marginal, you cannot call it profitable.
"We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark, that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." —Raoul Duke, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

"Those are brave men knocking at the door. Let's go and kill them!" - Tyrion Lannister

#7 TrueAce13

TrueAce13

FCP Resident Donk

• Members
  • 4,853 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO NLHE

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

I think an ace and a queen are pretty strong holdings in unlimited betting Texas holdem
Pokerstars: TrueAce13 (Willard)
FT: TrueAce13
My First Poker Blog, please read and help me get better!

#8 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

TrueAce, I def agree, but the inherent vulnerability of any high card holding needs to be assessed in the face of active bettingWith AQ, a re-re-raise is an option and the table dynamic needs to be taken into account, but personally I am feeling better getting to the flop and see what happens

#9 TrueAce13

TrueAce13

FCP Resident Donk

• Members
  • 4,853 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO NLHE

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

Well every situation has to be taken into account. We aren't playing in a vacuum, though sometimes one play seems to be better than another play. When we face action w/ AQ, we obviously have to think, "how active has this villain been", "what position", "does villain like to steal", "will villain get into leveling wars w/ people". There are so many different dynamics that come into play when playing tournament poker. For example, taggish player w/ 35bbs opens MP. competent reg 3bet jams the button w/ 22bbs, and we are in the SB w/ AQo. This is a spot where you have to take into account everything about the situation. How much is in the pot? What's both villains range. Once we figure a lot of this out, we can look at pokerstove to make sure we make the most +EV move in situations. We can't look at hands as, "I have AQ, there has been a 3bet, I have to fold". We have to make sure we account for all action, villains, and table dynamics. Alright, I feel that I'm rambling, but ya...tournament poker is all about being able to read different spots correctly.
Pokerstars: TrueAce13 (Willard)
FT: TrueAce13
My First Poker Blog, please read and help me get better!

#10 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

TrueAce, I hear and agree. Thx for your feedback

#11 HighwayStar

HighwayStar

Tangled up in blue.

• Members
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

<---folds AQ to single opens regularly.

#12 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:22 AM

View PostHighwayStar, on 15 August 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

<---folds AQ to single opens regularly.
Highway, is that based on anything specific, like position?

#13 HighwayStar

HighwayStar

Tangled up in blue.

• Members
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:56 AM

Yeah if a decent tight player (really need a fair few hands with someone to be sure of this) on a 11-14 BB stack opens instead of shoving in EP their range is v strong. Easy fold in MP and really close from button/blinds. It's really not close vs some, their ranges can be QQ+.I wouldn't get into a habit of folding it in this spot though, only vs specific players.Also there are a ton of spots on bubbles of SnGs where it's correct to fold it to raise or even just open fold it.

#14 Mercury69

Mercury69

Half man! Half man!

• Members
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

Awesome, thanks

#15 sandwedge

sandwedge

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:Poker, golf, and spending time with my daughter.

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:47 PM

Dang, I miss the Sunday Million.

I'M LIKE WTF I JUST PAID 4K YOU DONKEY I'M ****ING SHOOTING THE GUN!

-Mark

#16 OgnianMikov

OgnianMikov

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Football, Chess, Cars
  • Favorite Poker Game:Texas Hold Em

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

when was the last time you played it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users