• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Avril-14th

Avril-14th

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:59 AM

HelloI am new to this forum, and as you can see I never wrote here before. But today I had a little problem which can be resolved only w/ help from experienced users. Here is the deal:Very soon Tallinn will be held BPT (balticpokertour.net had some info). I am Russian but have visas and stuff to make a visit @ this series. But the problem is - I don't know is it worth it (cause Im low/micro stakes online grinder) in terms of living/flight spendings. I have no friends in Estonia, but the Russian-speaking forums saying that this series will probably have had overlay... So basically, I have no experience in estimate such series, but I know that it is new one, and perhaps would not be too popular among the players, etc. How to decide is it worth it?Prior to the start of the series is very little time - I crosspost this message on multiple forums, hoping to get some advice. Thanks guys.

#2 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 20,667 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:56 AM

I would suggest that you think of the trip like a vacation and make your decision with that thought in mind.If the amount of money for the buyin and expenses won't change your ability to play in your normal games or pay your living expenses as normal and it's something that you really want to do then take a chance and go play. You should assume that you won't win any money and if losing will not allow you to pay other expenses or play in your normal games then you shouldn't play just like you wouldn't take a vacation to Paris if you couldn't afford it.
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#3 Avril-14th

Avril-14th

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:31 AM

Thanks for response, Bob.But is poker is not a science, where every decision has to be calibrated mathematically? I mean - how can I calculate 'tuffness' of field? (so much newbie question, I guess)This shot does not hurt my BR, but I would not want to treat this trip as a just a shot. The point is - how much fishy can be innagural series of unnamed poker tour?

#4 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 20,667 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

View PostAvril-14th, on Tuesday, April 10th, 2012, 9:31 AM, said:

Thanks for response, Bob.But is poker is not a science, where every decision has to be calibrated mathematically? I mean - how can I calculate 'tuffness' of field? (so much newbie question, I guess)This shot does not hurt my BR, but I would not want to treat this trip as a just a shot. The point is - how much fishy can be innagural series of unnamed poker tour?
The beauty of poker is that it isn't just a science and all about math since so many variables in any decision we make are unknowns. We can make estimates and put people on ranges of hands but we can never really know for sure.If this case you can estimate how soft the field is but until the tournament is being played and you're there you can't really know. The same goes for how your skill level matches up in a live tournament setting. You can assume your skill relative to the field is X when it may be Y at the particular table you draw.Poker should be fun. If you think that playing in this live tournament will be fun for you give it a shot, the worst thing that happens is that you lose your buyin and you gain some live tournament experience.One thing you can try and find out is whether there are a lot of online or live satellites being held for this tournament. In general the higher the number of players who enter a tournament through satellite the softer the field will be.
Bob

#5 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Respect my Raises!!!!!!

• Members
  • 23,054 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

Tallinn is also a beautiful city.Great cigar store in the main square.You can go, have a fun trip and always be able to look back and say you did it.Or not go and always wonder if you should have.
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

“Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.” ― George Orwell

#6 FARGOpokerND

FARGOpokerND

11-time National Champions!

• Members
  • 6,163 posts
  • Interests:POKER!
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

Man, when I first read this and saw new poster mentioned a new poker tour having an overlay, I just assumed this was an advertising scheme.

#7 Avril-14th

Avril-14th

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

Gentlemens, this forum has the most kind and positive posters of all time :DMany thanks for all advices, but it still loads of technical questions, like a: is it better to concentrate more at ME or better to play out all sides, or - is it necessary to rent an apartment for entire series or better to select few tournaments and do not spend extra money on a hotel/apartment/whatever, and also - should I try to make some shot in cash game (cause of maybe live series can be attractive to 'special guests' of town) if it no hurt my BR...Sorry, if it sound like 'ad' at first (and even more sry if it still sounds like ad), but Im now so much experienced for answer all those questions by myself.Anyways - many, many thanks, guys.

#8 Avril-14th

Avril-14th

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:52 AM

1 day to go... Have someone any advises yet? Please!Most likely I'll go, so we need kinda cheer up words :)Thanks again fellows.

#9 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 20,667 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:18 AM

Go and have fun.Try and make sure that you get lots of rest in between your poker sessions and don't drink too much of that good Estonian vodka.
Bob

#10 Avril-14th

Avril-14th

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

Hi folks.Many thanks to all of you and especially for those, who shared experience -- who knows which kind of solution I make on this series without your advices.So, yes, I decide to go. Right now Im pack my bags and haven't enought time to discuss, so here is the list of expenses: Road [both ways] = €400Living [7 nights @ cheap hotel] = €350Fun = €400Warm Up - €440Sat to ME = €220 x 2Big Event = €880Omaha freez = €220Knockout = €330Moneys for cash games = €540_____________________________________Total: €4000 [I got stacked for 50% of this total].... so, wish me luck :club: Hope/counting on run hot and spend time with pleasure. See you later.

#11 KingJames

KingJames

<ēj))))><

• Members
  • 5,524 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:6max cash

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

Good luck, sir!
Spoolios custom fit sports

If you wanna keep your rep up, you know you gotta step up
Tough times never last, but tough people do
blog: 1/1 2011 results/2012 goals

#12 aucu

aucu

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 3,984 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Mixed Games

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

View PostAvril-14th, on Friday, April 13th, 2012, 1:01 AM, said:

Hi folks.Many thanks to all of you and especially for those, who shared experience -- who knows which kind of solution I make on this series without your advices.So, yes, I decide to go. Right now Im pack my bags and haven't enought time to discuss, so here is the list of expenses: Road [both ways] = €400Living [7 nights @ cheap hotel] = €350Fun = €400Warm Up - €440Sat to ME = €220 x 2Big Event = €880Omaha freez = €220Knockout = €330Moneys for cash games = €540_____________________________________Total: €4000 [I got stacked for 50% of this total].... so, wish me luck :club: Hope/counting on run hot and spend time with pleasure. See you later.
Good luck and looking forward to reading a trip report with a happy ending.
aucu on Stars and FCP
MJ at B&Ms

#13 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Respect my Raises!!!!!!

• Members
  • 23,054 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

GL, get me some cigars if you win....
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

“Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.” ― George Orwell

#14 FARGOpokerND

FARGOpokerND

11-time National Champions!

• Members
  • 6,163 posts
  • Interests:POKER!
  • Favorite Poker Game:PLO

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Hope you win something big!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users