Jump to content


E-mails From Strategy


  • Please log in to reply
304 replies to this topic

#241 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

    password1

  • Members
  • 5,317 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

not the biggest of reactions from the market today because of how solid the jobless claims and ADP numbers were. this was, for the most part, priced in earlier this week. the headline was great, revisions were just as nice.I'm trying very hard not to get too optimistic. the run in early 2010 wasn't nearly as long-lived, but it looked just as strong and folded super quick with the europe situation. the idea that people were still talking about QE just a few weeks ago is pretty laughable to me. at this rate, the fed might start dumping stuff off of its balance sheet before the election.
QUOTE (Spademan @ Thursday, April 5th, 2012, 2:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.


#242 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

    Limit Holdem Dinosaur

  • Root Admin
  • 20,048 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scarberia

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

There are still a lot of icebergs out there that can put a shock into things.Europe is still a cluster****. China could still have a hard landing although not likely this year and of course who knows what Israel is going to do about Iran's nukes. The best time for them to attack is before the election when they know that all American politicians will have to support them.
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#243 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

    password1

  • Members
  • 5,317 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

are you short or something? serious question :club:
QUOTE (Spademan @ Thursday, April 5th, 2012, 2:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.


#244 ShakeZuma

ShakeZuma

    A hot and bothered astronaut

  • Members
  • 14,639 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:crashing while I'm jacking off
  • Interests:Basket weaving, gardening, BDSM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

jesus what is with you guys calling people short?

View PostAmScray, on 30 August 2010 - 12:41 PM, said:

one cannot possibly ascribe themselves to the larger (D) philosophy without first being a poon

#245 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

    Limit Holdem Dinosaur

  • Root Admin
  • 20,048 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scarberia

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostInternetExplorer, on Friday, March 9th, 2012, 7:25 PM, said:

are you short or something? serious question :club:
When I'm in Hong Kong I don't feel short.
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#246 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

    Respect my Raises!!!!!!

  • Members
  • 23,054 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:So Cal
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

View PostFCP Bob, on Friday, March 9th, 2012, 12:16 PM, said:

There are still a lot of icebergs out there that can put a shock into things.Europe is still a cluster****. China could still have a hard landing although not likely this year and of course who knows what Israel is going to do about Iran's nukes. The best time for them to attack is before the election when they know that all American politicians will have to support them.
I heard a guy on the radio who was someone important wrt Israel.His point was that if President Obama is losing, it is likely he will take care of Iran as a way of cementing his place in history, and because he will not care about how his base feels about it.If President Obama is close or leading big, he will be too worried about his base to take any action, thus leaving Israel on its own to handle the situation.He felt any Republican would delay any action for a while because of the need to not be a Bush clone who 'goes right into a war' right after taking office, thus leaving it to Israel again.So either President Obama needs to have no chance, or Israel is going to have to bomb Iran themselves.So it is likely President Obama will be taking out Iran's Nuke program sometimes in October
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

“Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.” ― George Orwell

#247 mk

mk

    nord-américain racaille

  • Members
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

View PostBalloon guy, on Friday, March 9th, 2012, 9:36 PM, said:

So it is likely President Obama will be taking out Iran's Nuke program sometimes in October
I say this as someone who is pretty fiercely against all this foreign adventurism, but let's not forget that Ahmadinejad is totally crazy, and a nuclear Iran on his watch is terrible for everybody.And that's not like the royal everybody, but rather the literal everybody.

#248 LongLiveYorke

LongLiveYorke

    Ending the world one proton at a time

  • Members
  • 8,355 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manhattan
  • Interests:fizziks, teh maths, Raid-o-head, Rod Reynolds

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

View Postmk, on Friday, March 9th, 2012, 11:22 PM, said:

I say this as someone who is pretty fiercely against all this foreign adventurism, but let's not forget that Ahmadinejad is totally crazy, and a nuclear Iran on his watch is terrible for everybody.And that's not like the royal everybody, but rather the literal everybody.
There's a royal everybody?

#249 DJ Vu

DJ Vu

    DJ Vu

  • Members
  • 2,862 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

if you were a bank president and a subordinate asked for a raise armed with your FDIC filings and relevant salary data from BLS's OES, would you be offended or impressed?

#250 The Ocho

The Ocho

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostDJ Vu, on Tuesday, March 13th, 2012, 9:49 AM, said:

if you were a bank president and a subordinate asked for a raise armed with your FDIC filings and relevant salary data from BLS's OES, would you be offended or impressed?
LOL, this cannot be a serious question.

#251 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

    password1

  • Members
  • 5,317 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

well, that was unhelpful and discouraging. thanks.what data should I take? what arguments should I make? most of you know my situation, but for those who don't: I'm basically a help desk technician (IT guy that gets called when shit breaks) and teller rolled into one. OES has data on both jobs, and my pay is far, far below what either position brings in my region. furthermore, I know what they're paying per employee bank-wide because that's all public in FDIC filings. it's a starting point, but I need to flesh out my arguments before I show my hand.
QUOTE (Spademan @ Thursday, April 5th, 2012, 2:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.


#252 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

    Limit Holdem Dinosaur

  • Root Admin
  • 20,048 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scarberia

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

If you want to bring in hard data don't personalize it if you can when you compare your position to others in the bank.For example you might say that the bank pays 80% of the regional average overall but in your case you are only making 60% of the regional average for your position.
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#253 The Ocho

The Ocho

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

View PostFCP Bob, on Tuesday, March 13th, 2012, 11:23 AM, said:

If you want to bring in hard data don't personalize it if you can when you compare your position to others in the bank.For example you might say that the bank pays 80% of the regional average overall but in your case you are only making 60% of the regional average for your position.
Ya, I like this. And sorry strat, I read it wrong. I thought you said you were going to bring up the bank presidents salary from the FDIC filings.

#254 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

    password1

  • Members
  • 5,317 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

I talked about this a month ago--about one or two sentences, tops--with my supervisor on the IT side. he said he'd bring it up in a monthly meeting, which as far as I can tell hasn't happened for about two months now. would have been great to have him making this argument rather than me, but what can you do. I feel like I've pretty much reached the end of my list of things keeping me from taking action.
QUOTE (Spademan @ Thursday, April 5th, 2012, 2:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.


#255 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

    Shufflin'

  • Members
  • 17,859 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostInternetExplorer, on Tuesday, March 13th, 2012, 3:18 PM, said:

well, that was unhelpful and discouraging. thanks.what data should I take? what arguments should I make? most of you know my situation, but for those who don't: I'm basically a help desk technician (IT guy that gets called when shit breaks) and teller rolled into one. OES has data on both jobs, and my pay is far, far below what either position brings in my region. furthermore, I know what they're paying per employee bank-wide because that's all public in FDIC filings. it's a starting point, but I need to flesh out my arguments before I show my hand.
I thought you meant bringing up the Presidents info too.The OES data seems solid. Especially with the tact that Bob suggests, so he knows you understand that a teller in New York makes more than a teller in Lawrence. By the sounds of it, the FDIC data is not specific enough to be relevant.Fwiw, I think this is a good and a bad thing to do, but overall a smart move:Pros: It might work. Shows the boss you know what's up. Might make you look good for future positions.Bad: Probably won't work. Companies have a salary band for every position, and the best you'll get is a raise that sounds good in percentage, but laughable in dollar amount. I mean, a 25% raise would still be crap. The boss will think you're a dick. Makes you look like a dick for future positions.To be honest, I think the con side is much more likely. Much. More. But without sounding like a help columnist, this is a small regional bank, and if the guy running things look at things the way I suspect he will, there's not much upside at that place anyway. He can't fire you for this, and even a promotion to loans officer or something is still going to be a shit go-nowhere job at that bank, so you aren't costing yourself anything if he looks at things negatively.
Long signatures are really annoying.

#256 DJ Vu

DJ Vu

    DJ Vu

  • Members
  • 2,862 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

"+50c, this was apparently decided some time ago without informing me. what is my play? do I tell them I'm job searching, do I ask to be removed from IT duties?"

#257 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

    password1

  • Members
  • 5,317 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

don't waste any thought on that last one. I thought it over for the last bit of my shift, cleared it with my dad... I'm gonna tell them to roll back the raise and find someone else to do IT, but that I will happily continue to teller for them while I'm looking for other employment.
QUOTE (Spademan @ Thursday, April 5th, 2012, 2:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.


#258 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

    Shufflin'

  • Members
  • 17,859 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

View PostInternetExplorer, on Tuesday, March 13th, 2012, 8:19 PM, said:

don't waste any thought on that last one. I thought it over for the last bit of my shift, cleared it with my dad... I'm gonna tell them to roll back the raise and find someone else to do IT, but that I will happily continue to teller for them while I'm looking for other employment.
I don't understand why you would ask them to do this. Do you hate the IT stuff?Not burning bridges is important, as these guys will be your reference. So just be your normal pleasant and gracious self, and make sure you fully explain why you're doing what you're doing, and try to make sure both sides understand each other positions. You really want things out in the open, because if they think you're leaving unhappy (even though you are), it will effect the quality of your reference.
Long signatures are really annoying.

#259 InternetExplorer

InternetExplorer

    password1

  • Members
  • 5,317 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

View Postmrdannyg, on Wednesday, March 14th, 2012, 10:03 AM, said:

I don't understand why you would ask them to do this. Do you hate the IT stuff?Not burning bridges is important, as these guys will be your reference. So just be your normal pleasant and gracious self, and make sure you fully explain why you're doing what you're doing, and try to make sure both sides understand each other positions. You really want things out in the open, because if they think you're leaving unhappy (even though you are), it will effect the quality of your reference.
no one calls references on entry level jobs. and former employers are terrified of saying much of anything due to legal concerns.I'm not burning bridges, but I'm also not going to work for this rate in this job.
QUOTE (Spademan @ Thursday, April 5th, 2012, 2:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only way to speak "loudly" on the internet is to TYPE IN CAPS. AND I RARELY TYPE IN CAPS.


#260 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

    Shufflin'

  • Members
  • 17,859 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

View PostInternetExplorer, on Wednesday, March 14th, 2012, 3:28 PM, said:

no one calls references on entry level jobs. and former employers are terrified of saying much of anything due to legal concerns.I'm not burning bridges, but I'm also not going to work for this rate in this job.
On the first point, I'm not sure about that. I know a couple guys who hire an entry levels and all they do is call the first reference, don't even care about the qualifications. They just want someone to show up and who's reference doesn't have a dog barking in the background.As for the second, I think you're only right in a simplified way. They won't say anything super-negative, but it's pretty easy to get across a 'not positive' reference without saying anything libellous.Don't disagree on the third, for all the reasons I stated above.My Bank is hiring tellers! Pay starts around $13/hour, plus pretty good benefits, and free health insurance. Plus, you're living in a city where you can share an apartment for $300/month (each). I mean, you'll be living in a town that makes Lawrence look like New York, but hey, who needs restaurants right?
Long signatures are really annoying.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users