• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#41 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,267 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:49 PM

Read this.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

#42 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

The chosen few....

• Members
  • 14,896 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:5/10 NLHE (100 max buy in)

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

View Postbrvheart, on Saturday, November 12th, 2011, 12:49 AM, said:

Love Pos. Agree with some of this.....but:He is writing a biography of Paterno. He needs access. He is the one guy who professionally can't torch Paterno in print right now without ruining his potential book. Kind of decreases his credibility here a lot.
"Give a little bit.....give a little bit of your chips to me...."

#43 GOCUBSGO

GOCUBSGO

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,278 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL MTT's

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:07 PM

Paterno failed in his responsibility, that's really all there is to it. Doing the minimum is simply not the standard to which a person in his position is held. His firing was deserved, but at the same time, if they are going to clean house, they can't just go after the big names. Anyone who had knowledge of the situation and failed to go to the police or follow up shouldn't be allowed to keep their job. Chain of command goes out the window with something like this. They are ALL at fault. Not just Joe.

#44 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,267 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:10 PM

View PostCaneBrain, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 11:56 PM, said:

Love Pos. Agree with some of this.....but:He is writing a biography of Paterno. He needs access. He is the one guy who professionally can't torch Paterno in print right now without ruining his potential book. Kind of decreases his credibility here a lot.
Ridiculous. That article was very genuine.

#45 GOCUBSGO

GOCUBSGO

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,278 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL MTT's

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:19 PM

View Postbrvheart, on Saturday, November 12th, 2011, 1:10 AM, said:

Ridiculous. That article was very genuine.
"And why? Iíll tell you my opinion: Because they were afraid. And I understand that. A kind word for Joe Paterno in this storm is taken by many as a pro vote for a child molester."Great article. Very true point about people being scared to stand up for Joe in all this. I saw a buddies facebook status that was complaining about how people were treating Paterno and the whole firing. I swear to god within 10 minutes of him changing his status, he had 10 different people basically accusing him of being pro child molester. Ridiculous.

#46 timwakefield

timwakefield

I haven't got the time time

• Members
  • 14,413 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Boxmaha

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

What I really can't understand is McQueary's immediate reaction to seeing a grown man raping a young boy. His reaction was...to go home (and then report it to his superior the next day). How does he not enter the shower and slam Sandusky's face into the wall and immediately find the nearest phone and dial 911? Or just the part where he dials 911?(???) He actually witnessed a horrendous felony, didn't call the police.P.S. Paterno obviously failed himself, his university, and humanity in general by not taking further steps as well.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?
Steve: Was she a homeless person?
Karl: Yeah but sort of mental homeless.

#47 ShakeZuma

ShakeZuma

A hot and bothered astronaut

• Members
  • 14,680 posts
  • Interests:Basket weaving, gardening, BDSM

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:26 AM

yeah I'm with all you guys here. If I was McQueary I would have busted in that shower and cracked Sandusky's neck right there. and if I was Paterno and McQueary had told me that stuff I'd have instantly put on my military fatigues and tracked Sandusky down and slit his throat on site. and if I was in the world trade center on 9/11 I would have crafted a parachute out of carpeting and jumped out of the window with a baby cause I'm a FUCKING HERO and I damn sure know precisely how I'd react in any given incredibly high stress situation even though I've never even come close to experiencing it before CAUSE I'M THE FUCKING MAN.

View PostAmScray, on 30 August 2010 - 12:41 PM, said:

one cannot possibly ascribe themselves to the larger (D) philosophy without first being a poon

#48 timwakefield

timwakefield

• Members
  • 14,413 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:53 AM

Seriously though, even if seeing the RAPE gave him a near-heart-attack, he could have gone home, thought about it, and then drove to a police station to report it. That night he did make a logical decision to tell somebody, but somehow neglected to tell the police. That seems pretty fucked up.
Karl: She was a bit -- what's the word that you can use, cuz I don't wanna offend anyone?

#49 Zealous Donkey

Zealous Donkey

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,219 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Reading, Sports
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL Holdem

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:29 AM

View Posttimwakefield, on Saturday, November 12th, 2011, 6:53 AM, said:

Seriously though, even if seeing the RAPE gave him a near-heart-attack, he could have gone home, thought about it, and then drove to a police station to report it. That night he did make a logical decision to tell somebody, but somehow neglected to tell the police. That seems pretty fucked up.
Yes, that was the janitor that saw Sandusky molesting a kid back in 2000. The Janitor actually told his super and a couple of coworkers(I think) but nothing in that case got reported to anyone. Sandusky was apparently seen driving through the parking lot several times that night, and into the wee hours of the morning. I wonder how scared the janitor was that he was going to be harmed in some way by Sandusky. Sandusky was obviously monitoring the situation.McCreary went home and discussed it with his father and then went to Paterno. This isn't just some stranger he walked in on. This was a big wig in the Penn State family. That is why I challanged Henry and others to imagine hearing that kind of news about a trusted family member. There is going to be a real shock and maybe even panic. That is what is so ****ed up about this. McCreary, a guy who once broke up a knife fight in the cafateria, goes in shock and leaves the situation and apparently is more concerned(at that time) with how to handle reporting on Sandusky than the safety of the kid. Like Tykoya Jackson said he suspects McCreary has been experiencing his own personal Hell since this happened. Again, that is another thing I don't really understand, the media goes wild about Paterno , but this guy McQueary actually could have intervened directly, but he hasn't been fired.
"Never play pool with a guy that brings his own stick. And Never, Ever play pool with a guy that brings his own table." ~Hoyt Axton

#50 timwakefield

timwakefield

• Members
  • 14,413 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:41 AM

View PostZealous Donkey, on Saturday, November 12th, 2011, 7:29 AM, said:

Yes, that was the janitor that saw Sandusky molesting a kid back in 2000. The Janitor actually told his super and a couple of coworkers(I think) but nothing in that case got reported to anyone. Sandusky was apparently seen driving through the parking lot several times that night, and into the wee hours of the morning. I wonder how scared the janitor was that he was going to be harmed in some way by Sandusky. Sandusky was obviously monitoring the situation.
I was actually talking about McQueary, but the janitor thing is equally relevant. My point was that McQueary should have contacted the police, and that the necessity of doing so should have been independent in his mind of the necessity to tell JoePa and any other superiors, which is all that he apparently ever did about it. It's a bit surprising that he hasn't been fired yet. Interesting about Sandusky returning to the parking lot all night after the janitor saw him, I hadn't heard that yet.

#51 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:22 AM

View Posttimwakefield, on Saturday, November 12th, 2011, 9:41 AM, said:

I was actually talking about McQueary, but the janitor thing is equally relevant. My point was that McQueary should have contacted the police, and that the necessity of doing so should have been independent in his mind of the necessity to tell JoePa and any other superiors, which is all that he apparently ever did about it. It's a bit surprising that he hasn't been fired yet. Interesting about Sandusky returning to the parking lot all night after the janitor saw him, I hadn't heard that yet.
The janitor was a part-time worker and didn't know who Sandusky he was. He told his supervisor, who went with him to the parking lot, and identified Sandusky. The supervisor told the janitor who he shoud go report it to, and neither followed up. I'm guessing one or both of those guys would be in legal trouble now, except the janitor has dementia and is an instititute and the supervisor is dead or something.McQueary is a big dude. Physically, he would've had no issue stopping it. Shock is one thing. If he saw Sandusky giving the kid a backrub, I understand getting some advice and reporting it normally. Seeing a child getting ass sex? Sorry, there's just no excuse. It's not like Sandusky is the President, you aren't going to end up in a hole somewhere if you report it.
Long signatures are really annoying.

#52 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

The chosen few....

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:24 AM

Yeah, people freeze I fully understand that. They had YEARS though for someone to go to the real police. Years. I think it's pretty clear Paterno chose to just hope the whole thing went away. While that's obviously not as bad as an active cover-up, it's still worthy of being fired. In a few years, people will start to remember Paterno more fairly for the totality of his career.

#53 Zealous Donkey

Zealous Donkey

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,219 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Reading, Sports
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL Holdem

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

View PostCaneBrain, on Saturday, November 12th, 2011, 10:24 AM, said:

Yeah, people freeze I fully understand that. They had YEARS though for someone to go to the real police. Years. I think it's pretty clear Paterno chose to just hope the whole thing went away. While that's obviously not as bad as an active cover-up, it's still worthy of being fired. In a few years, people will start to remember Paterno more fairly for the totality of his career.
Yes, and a huge thing that I haven't heard much about yet, but it will probably come out soon. Paterno, McQueary and others were aware he was involved heavily in "The Second Mile" program for at risk youth. That, to me, puts a nail in your coffin. You knew he was involved in that program, but the only action that was taken was to tell him to not bring young boys on campus anymore. Knowing what the guy was about and not making sure he was no longer involved with "The Second Mile" and remaining silent for years makes you criminally negligent. Cain, legally would they have a case against McQueary, Paterno if it comes out that they knew of his continued involvement in that organization and remained quiet about it?
"Never play pool with a guy that brings his own stick. And Never, Ever play pool with a guy that brings his own table." ~Hoyt Axton

#54 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

The chosen few....

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

View PostZealous Donkey, on Saturday, November 12th, 2011, 12:45 PM, said:

Cain, legally would they have a case against McQueary, Paterno if it comes out that they knew of his continued involvement in that organization and remained quiet about it?
Eh, probably not. Legally, I'm pretty sure both are safe unless something more than that comes out. They followed the letter of the law (but not really the spirit) and that's why both should be safe legally but will lose their jobs.

#55 timwakefield

timwakefield

• Members
  • 14,413 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:58 AM

View PostCaneBrain, on Saturday, November 12th, 2011, 1:26 PM, said:

Eh, probably not. Legally, I'm pretty sure both are safe unless something more than that comes out. They followed the letter of the law (but not really the spirit) and that's why both should be safe legally but will lose their jobs.
Are they potentially liable in a civil suit? Or just their higher-ups?

#56 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

The chosen few....

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:40 PM

View Posttimwakefield, on Saturday, November 12th, 2011, 1:58 PM, said:

Are they potentially liable in a civil suit? Or just their higher-ups?
Penn State is and that's who they will sue if they are smart. The University President of Head of Campus Police are small potatoes.McQueary is definitely not liable in a suit. There is no duty to rescue. He saw, he told someone of authority. He should have done more but legally he's fine. Same for Paterno really. Suing PSU is the right move.

#57 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

View PostCaneBrain, on Saturday, November 12th, 2011, 3:26 PM, said:

How can they even lose their jobs? They properly reported something. Would love to see Paterno file a wrongful dismissal suit :club:
Long signatures are really annoying.

#58 CaneBrain

CaneBrain

The chosen few....

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

View Postmrdannyg, on Saturday, November 12th, 2011, 8:19 PM, said:

How can they even lose their jobs? They properly reported something. Would love to see Paterno file a wrongful dismissal suit :club:
I know you are being facetious but that's a terrible idea. You can be fired for a wide range of behavior that is technically legal.

#59 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,267 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

View Posttimwakefield, on Saturday, November 12th, 2011, 1:48 AM, said:

What I really can't understand is McQueary's immediate reaction to seeing a grown man raping a young boy. His reaction was...to go home (and then report it to his superior the next day). How does he not enter the shower and slam Sandusky's face into the wall and immediately find the nearest phone and dial 911? Or just the part where he dials 911?(???) He actually witnessed a horrendous felony, didn't call the police.P.S. Paterno obviously failed himself, his university, and humanity in general by not taking further steps as well.
It's simple psychology, and even though I didn't have many people siding with me on the discussion in the sick thread... I was right.McQueary behaved the way he did for one reason, and that is who Sandusky was to him. Sandusky was his old coach, and if McQueary had done something to intervene, it could have been just as easily covered up, but he would have lost his career. Without knowing it, he weighed his options, and decided that the risk was too great... so he left. Later, after speaking with his dad, he decided that they would have to tell Paterno. So failure #2 was McQuery's dad, who was pussifying his own son, for the protection of his career. What's the other reason to tell Paterno and not call the cops that very night to file a report? It's only his career. That's the only option.And if I had to guess, from a psychological standpoint, I think >70% of people would do the same thing with an authority figure that had the power to destroy their career. Working for a coach like Paterno isn't like getting fired from an accounting job. It's much much more exclusive.Put a stranger in the shower, instead of Sandusky (or any other authority figure with the power to destroy your future livelihood), and anyone, including McQueary, probably does exactly as you are suggesting >90% of the time.ps. All stats were arbitrarily picked out of thin air with no basis in actual data.

#60 Dread Aidan

Dread Aidan

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:47 AM

View PostCaneBrain, on Saturday, November 12th, 2011, 10:26 AM, said:

One of ESPN's legal analysts (Lester Munson?) was saying that if more victims came forward, then Paterno could be open to facing charges again. There must be a reason why he hired a defense attorney, I would think. He was also saying that McQueary probably cut some deal for his testimony; he's one of the main witnesses.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users