160 replies to this topic

#21 Dread Aidan

Dread Aidan

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

View PostCaneBrain, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 9:00 AM, said:

I don't agree with everything Posnanski says but some of it is true.
So, two points to get out of the way:1. I think Joe Paterno had the responsibility as a leader and a man to stop the horrific rapes allegedly committed by Jerry Sandusky, and I believe he will have regrets about this for the rest of his life.2. Because of this, Joe Paterno could no longer coach at Penn State University.This is my feeling about it and as long as he was still the coach and saying things like, "they shouldn't spend one minute" thinking about me because I'll just retire at the end of the season, I was going to be "howling" against him. Now that's he's been fired, now that he can't be involved with the school in any way, I don't need the national attention on him anymore. I bet the public turns its angry glare to McQueary now and until he's out. But it won't be as intense because he's not a legend. I doubt many outside Penn State even knew about McQueary before this, but everybody knew Paterno.

#22 Zealous Donkey

Zealous Donkey

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,219 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Reading, Sports
  • Favorite Poker Game:NL Holdem

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:16 AM

View Postirishguy, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 11:45 AM, said:

How you took any of the post you quoted and thought this was a reasonable response is baffling..
I was laying on the sarcasm pretty thick. He busted me with a good point about prevalence, pissed me off because #1 he was right #2 caused me to lose a point I should have won, so I lashed out with a sarcastic rebuff to a straw man I set up. Something you never see in these forums.

View Postirishguy, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 11:45 AM, said:

Also there is a huge difference between the penn state scandal and allegations made by Corey whatever...Should they be investigated? Maybe, but as an adult looking back at abuse he says happened he now has an obligation if true to offer evidence and push for an investigation in order to protect current or future victims rather then just spouting off allegations.. As for Paterno I agree the firing is sufficient and he shouldn't face charges. McCready should have been fired as well.
Again, I mainly agree with you, but I am surprised the media hasn't poked around more at the Feldman accusations. (maybe they are). I will say this. I absolutely believe what he said, the fact that he doesn't want to name names is probably because he doesn't want to drag in other victims that don't want their names in the middle of a public scandal. Or because they are in position to retaliate against him. He seemed to me to really want to say more, I eventually believe he will, due to the obligation you mention.
"Never play pool with a guy that brings his own stick. And Never, Ever play pool with a guy that brings his own table." ~Hoyt Axton

#23 Zealous Donkey

Zealous Donkey

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:53 AM

View Posthblask, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 11:20 AM, said:

Paterno had to know that he was an influential major figure. For him to allow this to be swept under the rug in inexcusable.Think about it, if you caught your neighbor with a little boy, would you rest before he was in jail? I wouldn't, and someone in the public eye has an even stronger responsibility to follow through. He put winning and the reputation of their athletic program ahead of the well-being of children, and he can burn in hell now.
Just because Joe Paterno was a major figure doesn't mean he had the responsibility to pull the switch, especially on a former friend. Listen he has said he should have done more. He certainly should have, but the self=righteousness of some of you makes me sick. So Henry, if you had a new employee told that told you he saw your father in the shower with young boy. You would immediately go call the police? Remember the authorities knew about this guy in 1998 and no charges were brought against him? How is that Paterno's fault? Why shouldn't you be wishing the prosecuting attorney and chief investigator burn in Hell.
"Never play pool with a guy that brings his own stick. And Never, Ever play pool with a guy that brings his own table." ~Hoyt Axton

#24 Zealous Donkey

Zealous Donkey

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

Listen to segment 3. An interview with Tyoka Jackson, former Penn State player and St. Louis Ram. Interesting. He really sees Paterno as a father figure but still thinks he should be fired. Notcie he isn't self-rightous in his comdemnation, using this tragedy to try and elevate himself. Very honest heartfelt response. Please Listen if this story interests you at all. http://www.insidestl...Penn-State.aspx

#25 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts
  • Interests:Just deal the cards already

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:08 AM

View PostZealous Donkey, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 11:53 AM, said:

Just because Joe Paterno was a major figure doesn't mean he had the responsibility to pull the switch, especially on a former friend.
No, it's because a human that he should pull that switch. Being a major figure just makes it doubly important.
"Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?" -- J. Coulton

#26 irishguy

irishguy

Your weakness is disgusting to me.

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

View PostZealous Donkey, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 10:53 AM, said:

Just because Joe Paterno was a major figure doesn't mean he had the responsibility to pull the switch, especially on a former friend. Listen he has said he should have done more. He certainly should have, but the self=righteousness of some of you makes me sick. So Henry, if you had a new employee told that told you he saw your father in the shower with young boy. You would immediately go call the police? Remember the authorities knew about this guy in 1998 and no charges were brought against him? How is that Paterno's fault? Why shouldn't you be wishing the prosecuting attorney and chief investigator burn in Hell.
Man you are so far off on this its incredible! There is no gray area here at all and I don't get how in the hell you see anybody here being self-righteous the issue is pretty cut and dry. There is a huge difference between the police knowing about the guy in 98 and having evidence/witnesses etc. Even the police did others failures to act properly is not an adequate defense for Paterno. Your example isn't the same when you bring the family aspect into the fold but yes the answer here should still be clear..
gmanshade owes me $500: Since July 6th, 2009 and counting.....

#27 Dread Aidan

Dread Aidan

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

View PostZealous Donkey, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 9:53 AM, said:

Listen he has said he should have done more. He certainly should have, but the self=righteousness of some of you makes me sick.
How is it self-righteousness if even you are admitting he should have done more?

#28 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

View PostZealous Donkey, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 11:53 AM, said:

Listen he has said he should have done more. He certainly should have, but the self=righteousness of some of you makes me sick. So Henry, if you had a new employee told that told you he saw your father in the shower with young boy. You would immediately go call the police? Remember the authorities knew about this guy in 1998 and no charges were brought against him? How is that Paterno's fault? Why shouldn't you be wishing the prosecuting attorney and chief investigator burn in Hell.
Well, my dad's been dead for a long time, so that would be really weird....The story I saw said Paterno took it to the college administrators who brushed it under the rug, and he didn't go to the police. If I had an eyewitness that I trusted who saw this happening, and my employer brushed it under the rug, yes, I would go to the police. Even if it was someone I previously respected and/or was friends with.If he had reported it to the police and they said "nothing to see", I'd still keep an eye on that person and pry around to make sure the kids were safe. I certainly wouldn't let somebody who was witnessed raping a child just continue on his merry way.
"Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?" -- J. Coulton

#29 Zealous Donkey

Zealous Donkey

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:13 AM

View PostDread Aidan, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 1:08 PM, said:

How is it self-righteousness if even you are admitting he should have done more?
People stating matter-of-factly that if they were in the same situation that they would have acted perfectly.

#30 irishguy

irishguy

Your weakness is disgusting to me.

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:17 AM

View PostZealous Donkey, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 10:13 AM, said:

People stating matter-of-factly that if they were in the same situation that they would have acted perfectly.
There are situations in life that should be pretty straight forward as to what is right and what is wrong and this is one of those.
gmanshade owes me $500: Since July 6th, 2009 and counting.....

#31 Zealous Donkey

Zealous Donkey

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:24 AM

View Posthblask, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 1:12 PM, said:

Well, my dad's been dead for a long time, so that would be really weird....The story I saw said Paterno took it to the college administrators who brushed it under the rug, and he didn't go to the police. If I had an eyewitness that I trusted who saw this happening, and my employer brushed it under the rug, yes, I would go to the police. Even if it was someone I previously respected and/or was friends with.If he had reported it to the police and they said "nothing to see", I'd still keep an eye on that person and pry around to make sure the kids were safe. I certainly wouldn't let somebody who was witnessed raping a child just continue on his merry way.
So you would have put 24 hour survalence on the guy at you own expense? You are being unrealistic. There is only so much you could actually do. At some point the authoritiies are going to have to do their job. Based on the Grand Jury testimony, you can't draw a lot ot the conclusions you are drawing, even though I suspect you are right about at least some of them.

#32 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,267 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:32 AM

View PostDread Aidan, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 10:29 AM, said:

No, you're totally right; just throw your hands up in the air and say, "Well, I told my supervisor, nothing else I can do." Especially since Paterno didn't have any power around the campus or anything like that. His hands were tied.
I know you know that I'm not as sold on this as you are, but I'm going to say it again anyway.We simply don't have all the information to say what Paterno knew and didn't know. I definitely think that the court of public opinion is way too far out in front of this because of the nature of the crimes. There is only guilt and no presumpsion of innocence with anyone involved, and I don't think that's totally justified. There is a very legitimate possibility that Paterno didn't ever see Sundusky on campus. There is a legitimate possibility that he thought after his 2nd followup that the situation was reported. If he never saw him, it would be easy to believe that your bosses had handled it. That being said, he should have been upset that his bosses didn't "handle it" publicly. I'm totally on your side about him doing very close to the minimum.

I'd love to see the media coverage be all about Sandusky and how that would go.Chris Berman: So it looks like Jerry San-"dusky in the Wind" raped a whole bunch of kids.Tom Jackson: Yes, Boomer, truly awful. [lowers head and shakes it slowly]Chris Berman: I don't think he'll be backbackbackback at Penn State anytime soon.Tom Jackson: I wouldn't think so, Boomer.Chris Berman: I mean he...could....go...all...the...way...to the slammer!Tom Jackson: I don't think this is appropriate, Boom.Anyway, there is universal consensus that what Sandusky did was just about the worst thing imaginable. There's nothing to debate or discuss there. Paterno knew about what happened and all he did was one step above nothing. It's inexcusable, indefensible, and he deserves the firing and the "media lynching."
Funny.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

#33 Zealous Donkey

Zealous Donkey

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:08 AM

http://www.pennlive....jerry_sand.html

#34 Dread Aidan

Dread Aidan

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

View PostZealous Donkey, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 11:08 AM, said:

The next morning, McQueary said, they went to see Paterno. And what did McQueary say? We don’t know. The grand jury presentment that has been given to the public, simply says that McQueary “reported what he had seen.” According to Paterno’s testimony, McQueary told the coach he had witnessed Sandusky “fondling or doing something of a sexual nature” to the boy. Two days after the report was released, Paterno issued a statement saying he wanted to correct the impression left by the presentment. Even though Paterno himself had told the grand jury that McQueary saw “something of a sexual nature,” Paterno said this week that he had stopped the conversation before it got too graphic. Instead, he told McQueary he would need to speak with his superior, Athletic Director Tim Curley, and with Schultz. That meeting did not happen for 10 days.

There is nothing in there that makes me think Paterno doesn't deserve the spotlight that is on him.

#35 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

View PostDread Aidan, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 2:07 PM, said:

So, two points to get out of the way:1. I think Joe Paterno had the responsibility as a leader and a man to stop the horrific rapes allegedly committed by Jerry Sandusky, and I believe he will have regrets about this for the rest of his life.2. Because of this, Joe Paterno could no longer coach at Penn State University.This is my feeling about it and as long as he was still the coach and saying things like, "they shouldn't spend one minute" thinking about me because I'll just retire at the end of the season, I was going to be "howling" against him. Now that's he's been fired, now that he can't be involved with the school in any way, I don't need the national attention on him anymore. I bet the public turns its angry glare to McQueary now and until he's out. But it won't be as intense because he's not a legend. I doubt many outside Penn State even knew about McQueary before this, but everybody knew Paterno.
Has anyone noticed this guy's name is McQueary? Oh, and apparently he is a pretty big ginger dude. To be honest, I think this drastically increases the level of responsibility he had to stop the assault when he saw it. Think about it - if you are some kid, and you remember this awful thing where you were getting raped in the shower by an old man...then some giant ginger named McQueary busts in to stop it...wouldn't you look back on that and just assume it was some crazy sick dream? The kid might need some therapy for that, but nothing he can't chalk up to puberty and being around Sandusky a lot.What?
Long signatures are really annoying.

#36 Dread Aidan

Dread Aidan

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:42 AM

I think it's weird that McQueary apparently once broke up a knife fight (really? A knife fight? This is a real thing that happens?), but couldn't even muster up a "hey, stop that!" in this instance.

#37 Zealous Donkey

Zealous Donkey

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:57 AM

View PostDread Aidan, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 2:42 PM, said:

I think it's weird that McQueary apparently once broke up a knife fight (really? A knife fight? This is a real thing that happens?), but couldn't even muster up a "hey, stop that!" in this instance.
Hell, when the janiter witnessed Sandusky performing oral sex on kid pinned to shower wall, he couldn't stop shaking, they thought he was having a heart attack. These guys were frozen in shock. It is one thing to say you would be a hero, but no one really knows if they will be the one to jump on the grenade until it is laying pin-less in front of them.

#38 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

View PostZealous Donkey, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 12:24 PM, said:

So you would have put 24 hour survalence on the guy at you own expense? You are being unrealistic. There is only so much you could actually do. At some point the authoritiies are going to have to do their job. Based on the Grand Jury testimony, you can't draw a lot ot the conclusions you are drawing, even though I suspect you are right about at least some of them.
I have not seen any reports that he reported anything to the police. It appears it was handled internally and covered up, and he knew that. That is not acceptable.If he reports it to the police and they say it's nothing and he is diligent from then on (being aware of rumors, watching this guy's interactions with kids, etc), I give him a pass. Right now, it looks like he intentionally looked away out of fear for the program.

#39 hblask

hblask

Perpetual slow learner

• Members
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

Here's the best summary of the situation I've seen yet:Posted Image

#40 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,267 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

View Posthblask, on Friday, November 11th, 2011, 2:46 PM, said:

I have not seen any reports that he reported anything to the police.
He personally told Curley the very next day after McQueary told him about the situation. He called Curley and the other dude.. Schmidt?... and told them they both needed to come to his house on Sunday, and he told them there.Curley was the head of the University Police.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users