• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 solderz

solderz

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:35 AM

Story LinkNBC Cancels National Heads-Up Poker ChampionshipPokerNews has learned that the popular National Heads-Up Poker Championship on NBC will not be returning for an eighth season in 2012. Wicked Chops Poker first reported the news Thursday after getting confirmation from NBC Sports Senior Director of Communications Adam Freifeld.The National Heads-Up Poker Championship was an invitation-only event featuring 64 of the world’s top poker players and celebrities. It first aired in 2005 with Phil Hellmuth winning the inaugural event, and in the year's after, several notables followed him into the winner’s circle, including Chris Ferguson, Ted Forrest, Annie Duke, and last year’s champion Erik Seidel.The expulsion of PokerStars and Full Tilt Poker from the U.S. market has dealt a huge blow to televised poker in the U.S. and the removal of this event is the latest letdown. The two online sites were major advertisers for the event and fronted the steep $20,000 buy-in for many of the sponsored players.The National Heads-Up Poker Championship joins the Full-Tilt sponsored Poker After Dark (NBC) and PokerStars-sponsored Big Game (Fox) as casualties of Black Friday. Meanwhile, ESPN and the World Series of Poker recently signed a contract through 2017 thanks to advertisers including Jack Link's Beef Jerky and GoDaddy.com, which previously served as the presenting sponsor of the National Heads-Up Poker Championship.
Solderz

Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you is determinism; the way you play it is free will.

#2 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

Limit Holdem Dinosaur

• Root Admin
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

Not a surprise at all.Eventhough the online sites weren't direct sponsors they bought a lot of the ad time and without them the event makes no economic sense.
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#3 AmScray

AmScray

Honk

• Members
  • 3,951 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:wrhsf235yu

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:12 AM

I always really enjoyed that show. Maybe someone else will pick it up, but unlikely. The whole poker ecosystem has drastically changed. I sure hope all those pros made hay while the sun was shining during the poker go-go years, from 2003-2008 or so...
Posted Image

#4 Fluffdog87

Fluffdog87

Enjoy Life!

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  • Interests:poker, traveling, disc golfing, football, basketball, and watching sports on television and enjoying life

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:01 AM

It had a good run. When poker gets legalized in the future at some point I think there is definitely a chance this tourney gets re-booted.
"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'"- George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users